Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 09-08-11

Wesley Sneijder: Repeatedly linked with Man Utd
    VAN DER VAART - SNEIJDER FITS MAN UTD

Rafael van der Vaart believes Wesley Sneijder is keen to play in the Premier League and would not be surprised to see his Netherlands team-mate join Manchester United.
    Inter Milan playmaker Sneijder has been repeatedly linked with a move to United this summer, despite both clubs insisting no negotiations have taken place.
    Sneijder revealed at the weekend that Inter would be prepared to sell for the right price and he anticipated his future to become clearer in the coming days.
    Van der Vaart moved to the Premier League to join Tottenham Hotspur from Real Madrid last summer and created a favourable impression.
    And the Spurs star feels his fellow former Ajax youngster is eager to join him in English football and is aware of the demands of the Premier League.
    "Of course he would like to play in England, it's the biggest league in the world," Van der Vaart told Sky Sports News.
    "He is a good friend of mine and we have contact almost every day. He knows what to expect in the Premier League."
    Van der Vaart is confident Sneijder would fit in well at United, although he jokingly suggested he did not want his compatriot to join the Premier League champions.
    When asked if he will be playing against Sneijder this season, he replied: "I hope not because Man U are going to be stronger.
    "But he's a great player and he fits in well at Man U."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-08-11

Gabriel Obertan: Set for Magpies move
    NEWCASTLE KEEN ON OBERTAN

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is expected to complete the signing of winger Gabriel Obertan from Manchester United.
    The 22-year-old French player moved to Old Trafford from Bordeaux two years ago but has been unable to hold down a regular place in Sir Alex Ferguson's first team.
    Pardew believes Obertan can thrive at St James' Park, providing the attacking speed which he suggests the Magpies were missing last season.
    Pardew told The Chronicle: "I said I wanted to bring pace into the team.
    "It was lacking last year and Gabriel will definitely bring that to the team."

Uploads

Monk: Has signed a new contract
    MONK SIGNS NEW SWANSEA DEAL

Swansea captain Garry Monk has signed a new three-year contract ahead of the club's opening game in the Premier League.
    Monk has made over 230 appearances for Swansea since joining from Barnsley in 2004 and was offered a new deal last month.
    He has now put pen-to-paper on the extension and is delighted he will be able to celebrate a decade with the South Wales side.
    "It's a big thing for me to sign a contract that will take me up to my tenth year," Monk told the club's official website.
    "It's something I'm proud of, my family is proud of, and I've worked hard for it. It's a great feeling knowing I can represent the club for another three years at least.
    "I've loved every minute of it. From the first day I walked in here under Kenny (Jackett), I've seen the massive progression made as players and as a club.
    "To be part of that, and as captain for a large chunk of it, is a massive honour."
    Swansea secured promotion to the top flight with victory in the Championship play-offs last season and open their campaign away to title contenders Manchester City next Monday.

Uploads

Bendtner: Set to leave the Gunners.
    BENDTNER SET FOR GUNNERS EXIT

Danish forward Nicklas Bendtner has confirmed that he will leave Arsenal.
    A move out of the Emirates Stadium has been mooted for the 23-year-old striker who suffered from injury for most of last season.
    Speaking at Hampden before Denmark trained ahead of Wednesday night's friendly against Scotland, Bendtner was asked if he was set to leave the London club and he replied: "Yes. I have done my part as well as I can and it's up to Arsenal now to sort it out, I can't do anything more.
    "Hopefully it will be sorted soon but as I said to the Danish press, when I know something they will.
    "I would like to play at a place where you are happy and play every week, that is the most important thing for any football player and hopefully that will happen soon."
    Asked if Stoke City were one of the teams he has spoken to, Bendtner laughed then replied: "I can't say anything about who I have been speaking to, but hopefully it will all get sorted out soon."
    Denmark coach Morten Olsen believes Bendtner needs to get regular first-team football.
    He said: "It is good for himself if he plays first-team football.
    "You don't play football for 50 years, you have to enjoy it as long as possible.
    "Of course it is also a money question but a national player has a lot of ambition and wants to play football.
    "Nicklas has been injured for a year but he can be a good player again."
    (reopens) Another Danish player whose club future is in some doubt is Liverpool's Christian Poulsen but the midfielder expects to be at Anfield next season.
    "I have been really happy and I want to play, that's my goal for the future," he said.
    "I am happy there with my family, it's a good club and they treat me really well.
    "I hope I can change my situation so I can play more.
    "I haven't heard anything from Liverpool, I am trying to be fit for the new season.
    "So I think they want me at the club and I am happy to be there and unless they tell me something different, I am a Liverpool player for the coming season."
    Poulsen is looking forward to coming up against Kop team-mate Charlie Adam as he tries to prove to Liverpool's Scottish manager Kenny Dalglish that he has something to offer the Merseysiders.
    He said: "It is an important game to show Liverpool that I am fit and ready to play for them.
    "There are a lot of players there but it's up to me to show that I am capable of playing for Liverpool.
    "Hopefully I can show on Wednesday that I am a good player and they can use me.
    "Charlie is a really good player and he has a bright future in front of him.
    "But I don't see it as a test between me and him.
    "I see it as a good test for Denmark because we have three Euro qualifiers left and it is a really important for us."

Uploads

Roberto Mancini: Still looking for signings
    MANCINI STILL LOOKING FOR SIGNINGS

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini says he still has to finish his summer squad-building exercise.
    After steering City into the Champions League, Mancini has made four signings since the end of last season, with defenders Gael Clichy and Stefan Savic and goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon joining club-record signing Sergio Aguero at the Etihad Stadium.
    But speaking after Sunday's 3-2 Community Shield defeat, the Italian - who has been heavily linked with Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri - said: "We need to complete our squad.
    "We have another 23 days until the end of the market in order to achieve the target we had at the start of pre-season."
    One man who doesn't look bound for City is Wesley Sneijder.
    Stories from Italy on Saturday suggested Mancini's men had struck a deal to sign the long-term Manchester United target.
    But Mancini said: "No," he said. "It is not true. He is an Inter Milan player. We never spoke about him."

Uploads

Knight: Cahill could leave
    KNIGHT FEARS GARY CAHILL EXIT

Zat Knight admits Bolton will be powerless to prevent his central defensive partner Gary Cahill leaving Bolton if a bigger club comes in for him this summer.
    Cahill has long been touted as a target for Arsenal and there are plenty of others who are also interested in the possibility of luring the 25-year-old away from the Reebok Stadium.
    After playing alongside Cahill for the past two years, Knight is acutely aware what a huge loss he would be.
    However, such are the vast financial disparities that exist within the Premier League that Knight is realistic about what might happen over the next three weeks.
    "You don't want to lose your best players and Gary is fantastic," said Knight.
    "As yet, no one has come in for him, which is a blessing.
    "We want to keep him but there are a lot of bigger clubs out there and if someone comes in for the right money, no one can stop him."
    Not that Knight would view Cahill's departure as insurmountable.
    David Wheater's arrival from Middlesbrough has already provided additional competition for places and, as the 31-year-old points out, with 69 Premier League starts from a possible 78 over the past two seasons, he has been a fairly consistent presence in the Trotters' line-up.
    "Hopefully I have done enough to get my place on August 13," he said.
    "David Wheater has given us additional options anyway but we have strengthened it up all over the park.
    "If someone isn't playing too well the manager (Owen Coyle) can now bring people in."
    Bolton appear to be having another push at trying to secure the services of Shaun Wright-Phillips from Manchester City, although wages could still prove a major stumbling block.
    Interest in Liverpool striker David Ngog and Cameron Jerome of Birmingham has so far failed to turn into anything concrete, which means Bolton are set to tackle newly-promoted QPR at Loftus Road - if the violence in London has subsided by Saturday - with the men already at Coyle's disposal.
    The Scot has certainly placed the Trotters on an upward trajectory since his arrival from Burnley a season and a half ago, although Knight still feels there is work ahead before they can be compared to the European qualifiers of Sam Allardyce's reign.
    "We can't say yes on that until we get back into Europe, or finish in the top eight," said Knight.
    "We are on our way there. We have made great strides forward since the manager came in, people who watch us play can see that.
    "We dropped off a little bit towards the end of the season through fatigue but if we can have the same drive and determination, hopefully we can make it last.
    "We want to get into Europe but we have to finish the season. We can't finish in March or April."

Uploads

Oxlade-Chamberlain: Signed for Arsenal
    WENGER HAILS OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN

Arsene Wenger hailed Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as a player of rich potential after Arsenal finally prised him away from Southampton.
    On Monday Oxlade-Chamberlain, 17, completed a medical and agreed personal terms in a deal described by the Gunners as a "long-term contract".
    The final fee will be 15million with 12million of that sum to be paid up front.
    "We are delighted that Alex has decided to join us," Wenger told the club's official website, www.arsenal.com.
    "He is an exciting young player who will provide us with creativity and offensive quality.
    "Alex is a versatile player who can play in a number of positions.
    "He can play as an attacking centre midfielder, or wide left and right.
    "Alex is a perceptive passer of the ball and has a great understanding of the game and looks to be a very good team player."
    Oxlade-Chamberlain has yet to compete at a higher level than League One but his signing will still be viewed as a coup for Arsenal, despite the size of the transfer fee.
    Manchester United and Liverpool also expressed interest in the Southampton academy product, but the Gunners appear to have edged their rivals on this occasion.
    "It is one of the biggest deals in Championship history, which sees Saints' previous transfer records blown out of the water," read a statement on Southampton's official website www.saintsfc.co.uk.
    "The deal for the midfielder, who had made it clear he saw his future away from Southampton, was done with Saints in the driving seat for the duration of the protracted negotiations and the transfer was completed on our terms."
    Oxlade-Chamberlain, who was contracted at Southampton until 2013, is regarded as one of England's most promising young footballers.
    He played a key role in helping Southampton secure promotion to the npower Championship last season, firing nine goals in 34 appearances.
    His style has invited comparisons with Theo Walcott, who also left Saints for Arsenal, though Oxlade-Chamberlain is considered to better defensively.
    "Arsenal have a great manager in Arsene Wenger, top quality players and an attractive style of play," said Oxlade-Chamberlain.
    "These were all important factors in me choosing to sign for Arsenal."
    While Oxlade-Chamberlain has come in, Nicklas Bendtner confirmed last night that his future lies away from the north London club.
    Speaking at Hampden before Denmark trained ahead of Wednesday night's friendly against Scotland, Bendtner was asked if he was set to leave the London club and he replied: "Yes. I have done my part as well as I can and it's up to Arsenal now to sort it out, I can't do anything more.
    "Hopefully it will be sorted soon but as I said to the Danish press, when I know something they will.
    "I would like to play at a place where you are happy and play every week, that is the most important thing for any football player and hopefully that will happen soon."
    Asked if Stoke City were one of the teams he has spoken to, Bendtner laughed then replied: "I can't say anything about who I have been speaking to, but hopefully it will all get sorted out soon."

Uploads

Van der Vaart: Modric will stay
    VDV BELIEVES MODRIC WILL STAY

Rafael van der Vaart is convinced Tottenham team-mate Luka Modric will still be at White Hart Lane at the start of next month.
    Modric has been at the centre of one of the transfer sagas of the summer, with Chelsea having seen two bids rejected for the Croatia playmaker.
    The Blues have been pondering whether to make a third attempt in the coming days, with reports claiming they will test Spurs' resolve with a 30million offer.
    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has insisted Modric is not for sale at any price, but the player himself wants to move to Chelsea and has been angered by his current employers' stance.
    Van der Vaart knows Modric has been upset by Spurs' refusal to negotiate with their London rivals but expects the 25-year-old to give his all when the transfer window closes in three weeks' time.
    "I'm really happy that he's going to stay because he's an important player for us," Van der Vaart told Sky Sports News.
    "Almost every day we ask him to stay and say, 'Have a great season - then you can go!'
    "The chairman always said he's going to stay, no questions about it.
    "I understand he was a little bit disappointed, but in a few weeks he's going to be happy again."
    Meanwhile, Tottenham look set to fail in their latest bid to sign Real Madrid midfielder Lassana Diarra.
    Spurs reportedly held talks with Real with the aim of landing the 26-year-old, but his wage demands appear likely to scupper any deal.
    Manager Harry Redknapp signed Diarra for Portsmouth in January 2008 and has made previous efforts to bring him to White Hart Lane.
    Redknapp has also long been pursuing West Ham's Scott Parker, but wages could also prove a problem in the case of the Football Writer's Player of the Year.
    Tottenham are already well stocked in central midfield, although they reportedly will listen to offers for Jermaine Jenas and Wilson Palacios.

Uploads

Verhoek: No forest move
    VERHOEK DEAL COLLAPSES

Nottingham Forest have missed out on the signing of Wesley Verhoek, with the player opting to stay at ADO Den Haag to be close to his family.
    Reds boss Steve McClaren has been chasing the winger for some time and the Dutchman met with Forest to discuss a proposed move.
    But Verhoek has had an apparent change of heart, and has returned to the Netherlands to reassess his future.
    Forest Chief Executive Mark Arthur said: "Both ADO Den Haag and ourselves are disappointed but we have no alternative but to respect Wesley's decision.
    "Wesley is very close to his family and at least has made it clear now that he's not prepared to leave them and move to England."
    Forest were expecting to pay Den Haag a substantial transfer fee for the 24-year-old, but will now have to look elsewhere to add to their squad.

Uploads

Sandomierski: Celtic must up bid for keeper
    CELTIC TOLD TO COUGH UP

Jagiellonia Bialystok have told Celtic to up their offer for in-demand Grzegorz Sandomierski if they want to land the goalkeeper.
    The Bhoys are currently vying with Belgian side Genk for the 21-year-old, although the offers from both clubs do not match Jagiellonia's valuation.
    Club president Cezary Kulesza has confirmed the clubs are in talks for the shot-stopper, however, both are also currently in the same boat.
    Jagiellonia say the offers on the table are not good enough, but they are willing to meet interested parties halfway in order to strike a deal.
    "I have to admit, we are talking to two clubs about him," confirmed Kulesza.
    "The Scots and the Belgians have made offers and they are both the same.
    "There is nothing confirmed with Celtic and we haven't sorted the money issue.
    "When this is done, or if it will be done, we'll be there halfway.
    "But we're only talking at the moment and Genk are also in this same situation."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast