Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 12-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 12-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 12-08-11

Hargreaves: Offered West Brom deal
    HARGREAVES OFFERED BAGGIES DEAL

Roy Hodgson has left Owen Hargreaves to decide on whether he wants to accept West Brom's offer to join the club.
    Hargreaves is a free agent after being released by Manchester United at the end of last season following an injury-plagued stint at Old Trafford.
    He is desperate to play again at the highest level and moved to demonstrate his fitness by releasing videos of himself in training at the start of the summer having worked hard to overcome his knee problems with renowned physiotherapist Alex McKechnie.
    The England international has held talks regarding a move to The Hawthorns as he looks to resurrect his career, and Hodgson has left the ball in his court.
    The Baggies are convinced of his fitness to such an extent that an offer has been made, but manager Hodgson does not know whether joining his squad appeals to a player who may have other options to consider.
    Hodgson said: "When I left at 6pm on Tuesday, Owen was just about to leave at the same time.
    "And we made it clear: 'Look, we've done the test, we agree with you, and your man Alex, that the knee's okay and you can play football. And of course if you'd like to come and play for us that would be lovely.'
    "But whether or not our offer is going to be interesting to him, that's what I don't know.
    "He was looked at by our doctor, Mark Gillett, who was at Chelsea, who's quite an eminent person in his field.
    "And we had all the test results that he of course brought with him as well. And we spoke to his man, Alex McKechnie, who had been rehabilitating him for the last year.
    "He didn't go through a stringent medical, but he was looked at by someone who should know what he's talking about."
    Hodgson sensed no bitterness from Hargreaves about his exit from Old Trafford following four years with the Red Devils.
    "No, he was very sanguine about the whole affair, and I think he just wants to play football again," said Hodgson, whose side face Manchester United in their opening game of the season on Sunday.
    "He was bitterly disappointed the way he had to leave English football, but he didn't speak badly about anybody.
    "He was just more concerned, I think, to convince us, or maybe he's trying to convince other teams, that 'Listen, I'm a fit player, you can use me'."
    West Brom's technical director Dan Ashworth has tabled an offer to Hargreaves.
    "I know Dan has e-mailed a proposal to Owen, but I don't know what the proposal is," Hodgson said.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 12-08-11

Modric: Waiting game
    MODRIC STILL WAITING OVER FUTURE

Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric is still waiting to find out whether the club will accept an offer from Chelsea and allow him to make his desired move across London.
    Croatia international Modric has been clear on his desire to move to Stamford Bridge this summer, but both Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and manager Harry Redknapp have repeatedly stated their star asset will not be allowed to leave.
    The 25-year-old told RTE Sport: "I don't want to talk about that, I said before what I think and that's it.
    "I said a lot of things before and still everything is the same at the moment. I will see - I'm still waiting."
    With his own White Hart Lane future in the balance, Modric also gave his opinion on the future of Spurs' Republic of Ireland forward Robbie Keane, who expects to leave before the end of the month.
    "I would like him to stay but I know he wants to play," Modric said.
    "If that is not possible at Tottenham, he will probably try to find other options, but I would like him to stay and to play for us. He's a great player. What can I say? I don't know what will happen."

Uploads

Jose Enrique: Set for Liverpool switch
    REDS SET TO COMPLETE ENRIQUE SWOOP

Liverpool should complete the signing of left-back Jose Enrique on Friday as manager Kenny Dalglish makes his final preparations for the start of the new season.
    The 25-year-old had a medical at the club's Melwood training ground on Thursday after the Reds agreed a fee, believed to be in the region of 6million, for the Newcastle defender.
    His signing may come too late for the Spaniard to be involved in Saturday's opening match at home to Sunderland but Enrique is set to play a key role in the rest of the campaign.
    The left side of defence has been a problem position for Liverpool over the last few years but, on the face of his performances for the Magpies, Enrique's arrival could well change that.
    His expected partnership with fellow summer signing Stewart Downing down the left should provide the Merseysiders with the balance and attacking thrust they have lacked in recent seasons.
    With Fabio Aurelio and teenage reserve-team defender Jack Robinson providing back-up it puts the future of Emiliano Insua, who spent last season on loan at Galatasaray, in doubt.
    But while filling the vacancy at left-back has been a major requirement for Dalglish, his options further upfield appear to be plentiful.
    Ex-Villa winger Downing, Blackpool's Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson, who will hope to face his former club on Saturday, have all bolstered midfield to such an extent last season's player of the year Lucas Leiva admits he will have to work hard to earn his spot.
    "We have a lot of midfielders at the club at the moment," he said.
    "It's always important to strengthen the squad and I think I will have to fight again for my place.
    "It's been like this all my years here and this season is going to be the same.
    "In football you have to prove yourself every single day.
    "Of course I got the award last season but this season is a new challenge.
    "There is more responsibility on me in the team. Hopefully I will cope well and have a great season."
    The Brazil midfielder believes Dalglish's recruitment of British players, primarily, will boost their chances in the league.
    "The English players know the mentality, they know the way the Premier League is played," he told liverpoolfc.tv.
    "I think we have a good mix of foreign players and British players.
    "For me, it's good because they know the mentality you need to be a winner at a club like Liverpool."

Uploads

Tuncay (l): Makes PL return with Bolton.
    TUNCAY CONFIRMS BOLTON SWITCH

Turkey striker Tuncay Sanli has confirmed his return to the Premier League with Bolton Wanderers.
    The 29-year-old announced on Twitter that he had passed his medical and signed a contract, believed to be a season-long loan from Wolfsburg, although Bolton have not yet officially confirmed the deal
    The former Stoke forward will not be permitted to play for Bolton, however, until he gets his work permit authorised by the Home Office and will miss Saturday's trip to newly-promoted QPR.
    It represents some good news for manager Owen Coyle, who has been devastated by the loss of Tyrone Mears and Chung Yong-lee during pre-season after both sustained broken legs that will keep them out for months.
    Coyle made it his priority to bring in extra firepower when he opted to release Johan Elmander at the end of last season, knowing it was highly unlikely Daniel Sturridge would repeat his successful stint on loan from Chelsea.
    It leaves Coyle just requiring one more orthodox forward, in addition to continuing attempts to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips from Manchester City, whilst also trying to fend off any interest in star defender Gary Cahill during what he expects to be a frenzied final three weeks before the transfer window closes.
    It is not the ideal scenario on the eve of a new season.
    However, given the transfer window does not close until September 1, Coyle never expected it to be any other way.
    "There will be wheeling and dealing done before September 1," said the Bolton chief.
    "Players will be coming in and leaving at all clubs.
    "We have all tried to have our business done by August 13 but it is not always possible.
    "I was always a lover of the old fashioned system, when you could dip into the market when you wanted.
    "Smaller clubs find the window more difficult if they pick up injuries along the way."
    Tuncay, who has spent the last six months at Wolfsburg, has undoubted talent, as shown during spells with Stoke and Middlesbrough.
    However, a return of 22 goals in 114 Premier League games does not suggest the Turkey international will carry the Trotters attack on his own.
    He, plus Ivan Klasnic and skipper Kevin Davies, would doubtless benefit from the service of Wright-Phillips.
    The England winger has not been frozen out by Blues boss Roberto Mancini in the same manner as Craig Bellamy.
    But with new faces continuing to arrive at the Champions League qualifiers, Wright-Phillips knows his own opportunities are going to be strictly limited.
    The question is, with a weekly wage estimated at around 70,000, whether the 29-year-old is willing to take a pay cut which could reach 50%.
    "There has been dialogue between our chairman and (City chief executive) Garry Cook but there is nothing concrete," said Coyle.
    "Shaun Wright-Phillips is a tremendous player. You only have to see the amount of clubs that are after him to know that.
    "He is somebody I would love to bring to the club but he is a Manchester City player.
    "Whether it is possible time will tell. There is obviously a financial implication involved.
    "At Manchester City, being an elite club, with the contracts they have, it will be more than we can pay. We have a threshold we cannot go beyond because it would be detrimental to everything we are doing."

Uploads

McLeish: Trying to adjust heavy wage bill.
    McLEISH WORKING WITHIN CONSTRAINTS

Alex McLeish admits he is trying to combine reducing the wage bill while ensuring Aston Villa remain a competitive force in the Barclays Premier League.
    The Villa boss has again reiterated that no more new signings will be possible until he has offloaded players from the current squad who are not at the forefront of his plans.
    McLeish is working closely with club owner Randy Lerner in cutting the wage bill at Villa Park, but that will not stop the Scot from trying to bring success to Villa.
    McLeish said: "I've said, all along, since I joined the club, that we won't be bringing players in until we trade.
    "We still have a very heavy wage bill and we've got to try and work with Randy Lerner and Aston Villa to adjust that.
    "There are players at the club we respect totally but who haven't played much first-team football and we have to try and let them seek football somewhere else.
    "But, at the same time, getting the wages off the bill would then allow us to look at other incomings."
    Carlos Cuellar has been linked with a move back to Rangers but McLeish said: "I think it's at a bit of an impasse at the moment.
    "I'm not sure where Rangers are with it at all. It will probably (go to) the transfer deadline.
    "I don't think we've run out of patience in terms of when Carlos goes.
    "That would definitely be handy (if a deal happens) but at the moment it's not happened."
    McLeish has been linked with former Villa and West Ham midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger.
    He said: "Thomas' name has been mentioned against a number of other players.
    "If it came to a choice, we'd have to think about everything if we were able to get that choice.
    "Maybe in midfield, in terms of experience, we are a little bit lacking."
    In terms of Villa's targets this season, McLeish said: "I think we are a work in progress this season.
    "We have to rely on some patience and we also have to have a steady season.
    "If it's spectacular then brilliant, that's what we aim for, but we've got to have a steady season.
    "I'd love to finish as high as I can but I think that people have to be patient."

Uploads

Keith Andrews: Ipswich loan move
    IPSWICH SIGN KEITH ANDREWS ON LOAN

Ipswich have secured the loan signing of Blackburn midfielder Keith Andrews in a deal that runs until January.
    The 30-year-old Republic of Ireland international has fallen out of favour at Ewood Park under new manager Steve Kean and has been at Portman Road since Tuesday completing the paperwork.
    Andrews said: "Blackburn told me I could go out on loan and my agent started chatting to a few clubs, but it has been a little drawn-out and not as easy as we all would have liked.
    "It is one of those things. Football is a horrible business at times and if your face doesn't fit, you have to move on. Thankfully I am at a place now where my face is fitting and I hope to fit in very well."
    Andrews was signed by former Rovers manager Paul Ince in 2008 having impressed in leading MK Dons to promotion from League Two.

Uploads

Kalinic: Dnipro move.
    NIKOLA KALINIC SEALS ROVERS EXIT

Blackburn striker Nikola Kalinic has joined Ukrainian side Dnipro for an undisclosed fee.
    The Croatia international, who arrived at the Premier League club from Hadjuk Split two years ago, decided his future lay outside England and completed the move to the Ukraine today.
    He played for Croatia as a substitute in last night's international draw with the Republic of Ireland in Dublin and last scored for Blackburn in a 4-1 defeat at Aston Villa in February.

Uploads

Samba: Remains a Blackburn player.
    KEAN - NO OFFERS FOR SAMBA

Blackburn manager Steve Kean insists there has not been a single offer for centre-back Chris Samba and he is keeping his fingers crossed that situation remains the same until the transfer window closes.
    Tottenham and Arsenal have both been interested in the defender but with Rovers already having sold Phil Jones to Manchester United, Kean does not want to lose another centre-back.
    Kean said: "Chris is only a few months into a five-year contract. There have been rumours every single week but we have not had any bids at all, not one, and long may that continue.
    "We know it's life without Phil, and if you lose somebody at the last minute it can be very difficult.
    "We hope that won't happen, we hope that's the only centre-half we have lost this season and that they phone doesn't ring and that Chris is happy with us."
    Kean also said that talks over a new deal with Zimbabwe striker Benjani, who is out of contract, were "not dead" yet.
    He added: "We made him a contract offer that was not adequate for what he was after. There has been a little bit of movement on both sides so it's not dead yet."
    Samba is a doubt for Blackburn's opening match of the season at home to Wolves with a groin strain. Ryan Nelsen is back in training but the game will come too soon for the New Zealander.
    Radosav Petrovic, the Serbian midfielder signed from Partizan Belgrade, will not be available either because although he has been granted a work permit he is still waiting for his visa to come through.

Uploads

Fabregas: Expected to finally join Barcelona
    BARCA-FABREGAS DEAL DONE - REPORTS

Barcelona have finalised an agreement for the transfer of Cesc Fabregas from Arsenal, according to reports in Spain.
    Arsene Wenger revealed on Thursday he hoped the long-running saga would be resolved very soon and later confirmed his skipper would play no part in Saturday's Premier League opener against Newcastle at St James' Park.
    It is now being reported in Spain that Fabregas is set to be officially presented as a Barcelona player over the weekend on a five-year contract.
    The deal is understood to have finally been done following a protracted pursuit and the midfielder is travelling to link up with his new team-mates ahead of the first leg of the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid.
    Fabregas has never hidden his affection for Barca after starting his career with the Catalan club as a schoolboy, before moving to Arsenal's youth ranks in 2003.
    He quickly emerged as a special talent and over the years has blossomed into one of the finest performers in the Premier League.
    Watching Fabregas' continued development from afar, Barcelona became interested in taking him back to the Nou Camp and speculation intensified during the transfer window of summer 2010.
    A move did not materialise last summer and the Gunners were again determined to hold on to him this year, but Barca stepped up the chase and a number of their players publicly called for Fabregas to sign.
    There has been no official confirmation of the deal but Barca goalkeeper Victor Valdes believes a move is imminent, telling AS: "I hope so yes and, if the news is confirmed it will be great news, above all for one person, a friend, and the Barcelona fans.
    "I'm not disclosing anything, but as you know it is advanced, and although it is not official it will surely be closed very soon."
    Asked if, right now, he could imagine a Barca without Fabregas next season, the goalkeeper added: "I can't imagine it. I think that the news is almost confirmed and he will surely come, but anything could happen.
    "I think that it will be confirmed and I'm very happy."
    The clubs have been in negotiations for some time over a fee, with Arsenal reportedly demanding close to 40million, and Wenger will hope to have time to reinvest the money generated from Fabregas' sale.
    With the future of Samir Nasri also uncertain and less than three weeks to go until the window closes, Wenger's attention is sure to turn to bringing in reinforcements as he looks to steer the club to their first piece of silverware since 2005..

Uploads

Park Ji-sung: New deal done
    PARK JI-SUNG SIGNS NEW MAN UTD DEAL

Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-sung has signed a one-year contract extension that will keep him at the Old Trafford club until at least the end of the 2012-13 season.
    The South Korean star has become an unsung hero at United, dispelling doubts over the validity of his move from PSV Eindhoven in 2005 to seal a central place in Sir Alex Ferguson's plans.
    "I have enjoyed every minute of my time at United," he said.
    "I am delighted to be part of the club during this latest stage in its history - with another exciting young team being built.
    "I am looking forward to playing my part in keeping United at the top of the game."
    Ferguson revealed during United's pre-season tour of North America that the club had offered Park a new contract.
    The 30-year-old quickly indicated a willingness to sign and now the loose ends have been completed ahead of the Premier League opener at West Brom.
    Having played a part in four league title triumphs, plus three League Cup wins and a Club World Cup, Ferguson clearly views Park as a major figure in the new team that is emerging at Old Trafford, especially as his decision to retire from international combat earlier this year has substantially reduced the tiring hours spent travelling back to the Far East.
    "Ji has been an important player for us for a number of years now,'' said the Scot.
    "He has great ability and energy and in recent seasons has added the knack of scoring important goals in big games.
    "He is a popular member of the squad and his experience at domestic and international level is invaluable for the younger players.''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast