Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 14-08-11

Drogba: In talks with Chelsea over new contract
    DROGBA STILL IN CHELSEA TALKS

Didier Drogba is adamant he wants to finish his career at Chelsea and says negotiations over a new contract at Stamford Bridge are ongoing.
    The Ivory Coast striker is in the final year of his contract in West London and the Blues are thought to have offered him a 12-month extension on his deal.
    However, 33-year-old Drogba is believed to want two more years, with a view to hanging up his boots at the Premier League club.
    Uncertainty has surrounded his future since the 50million arrival of Fernando Torres from Liverpool in January, with the hitman no longer guaranteed a starting spot in manager Andre Villas-Boas' line-up.
    But Drogba maintains he is going nowhere while he is still under contract, and hopes the situation will be resolved.
    He told the Sunday Mirror: "I said a few years ago that I will be here until the end of my contract. But I would like to finish my career here. We are continuing talks.
    "Everybody knows what I feel about Chelsea and what I want."
    Villas-Boas says the situation is still up in the air, adding: "He knows our offer and he has made a counter offer.
    "We are now waiting on things."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-08-11

Jadson: Linked with Arsenal move
    GUNNERS LINKED WITH JADSON

Shakhtar Donetsk head coach Mircea Lucescu claims Arsenal want their Brazil international playmaker Jadson.
    The Gunners have been tipped to move for the 27-year-old with midfielders Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri expected to leave.
    Jadson's name was mentioned to Arsene Wenger recently, but he stated the club was not in talks with Shakhtar for his services.
    However, the Ukraine outfit now claim The Gunners are interested and that a move now depends on the Brazilian himself.
    "I can confirm Jadson is wanted by Arsenal," said Lucescu. "Now it all depends on him."

Uploads

Luka Modric: One Chelsea bid rejected
    BUCK UNSURE OVER MODRIC

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck admits he does not know whether the club will pursue their interest in Tottenham's Luka Modric having had one bid rejected.
    New manager Andre Villas-Boas is in the market for a midfielder but having had an offer, reported to be worth 27million, rebuffed doubts remain over whether the Stamford Bridge will return with an improved one before the end of the transfer window.
    "Most clubs don't want to talk about players they are interested in but the Modric situation became public," said Buck.
    "We did make an offer, (Tottenham chairman) Daniel Levy has rejected that offer and I don't know if it will go any further, we will have to see.
    "Andre didn't give us a shopping list but he did tell us where he thought we could improve.
    "He did mention some players but it was not a case of 'I want this guy and I want that guy' because it is more than just selecting the players.
    "It is whether the player is available, what the price is and every other dynamic that goes with it.
    "But Andre is working very well with the board and directly with Roman (Abramovich) in terms of looking at the squad and trying to see whether there is anything that needs to be done."
    Chelsea were held to a goalless draw at Stoke in their opening Barclays Premier League match despite creating a number of chances in the second half.
    And despite the general assumption that the Champions League is what Abramovich really craves Buck insisted domestic honours were equally important.
    "The press say the Champions League is a holy grail for Roman and I don't think that is quite true," he told chelseafc.com.
    "Andre says that the Premier League is really what he is looking for and that is the one that I always look at because it is a gruelling season and, by and large, the best team wins.
    "With the Champions League a lot depends on the draw and other factors so there is a little bit of luck involved, which isn't the case in the Premier League.
    "I have never heard Roman say that the Champions League is a holy grail.
    "The only thing I have heard him say is that he wants to win the next game.
    "Having said that, we haven't won the Champions League so it would be great to win it."

Uploads

Dos Santos: Surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane
    GIOVANI SEEKING SEVILLA SWITCH

Tottenham's Giovani Dos Santos is desperate to seal a move to Sevilla and hopes to have a resolution to his future by next week.
    The Mexico international is wanted by Sevilla boss Marcelino Garcia Toral, who took Dos Santos on loan to Racing Santander last season.
    Now in charge at Sevilla, Toral is seeking a permanent switch for the 22-year-old, but negotiations over the transfer fee have hit a snag.
    "I want to play in Sevilla. It is my main preference and this possibility exists but the subject is still not closed," he told Spanish website El Desmarque.
    "I am still in London but Tottenham desire my sale. My agent is working hard and I hope for a solution next week.
    "I prefer La Liga to other countries. I was happy with Marcelino in Santander and it will be sensational to repeat the experience with Sevilla - one of the best European clubs.
    He added: "To play next to Frederic Kanoute would be a pleasure."
    Dos Santos joined Tottenham from Barcelona in 2008, but has failed to make an impact at White Hart Lane, making just 10 Premier League appearances in that time.

Uploads

Gary Cahill: Hot property
    COYLE HOPES TO KEEP CAHILL

Owen Coyle understands why Gary Cahill is on Arsene Wenger's shopping list - but he maintains the England centre-back can continue to develop at Bolton.
    Cahill has been linked with a move to Arsenal all summer, but as yet no formal offer has been forthcoming.
    The 25-year-old produced another impressive display in Bolton's 4-0 Barclays Premier League win at QPR, curling in the opening goal in first-half stoppage time from 20 yards.
    Coyle does not know what will transpire over the closing two weeks of the transfer window, and a big offer could tempt the club to sell.
    However, he feels Cahill can still take his game to another level with Wanderers.
    "We will need to wait and see what the next few weeks holds before the transfer window closes. It would not be ideal for me to lose Gary, but I have always said, I need to be fair to Gary," said the Bolton boss.
    "Any player wants to play at the highest level, to play the best teams, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    "I have said to Gary he can improve here with Bolton, and he has improved.
    "In the 18 months I have worked with him, Gary has become an integral part of the England squad because of his performances and has improved no end.
    "There is no doubt he has taken his game to another level, but that was always going to happen with his age as well.
    "Hopefully with the platform we can give him and encouragement as a staff we can help him on his way to a fantastic career."
    Coyle added: "I am loathed to say this because he is my player, but if I was at one of those elite clubs, then Gary Cahill would be the first name on my shopping list."
    While it will be business as usual for Bolton until such time as any official approach is lodged, Coyle accepts they will not be able to hold off suitors indefinitely.
    "There has been no offer. He is my player and I have to make sure he delivers in each game," said Coyle.
    "As a manager, I want the best players available for me, but I have also got to be fair to Gary Cahill as well.
    "If it is the right thing for Gary and the football club, then that is something we have to look at.
    "We are not one of the elite clubs who can be holding onto players, we have always been known as a selling club and that is not going to change.
    "It needs to be the right business for everybody involved."
    Coyle added: "There have not been any concrete bids, but as people get closer to the end of the window, and they think, 'He is the right one for me', then I don't know. You will have to ask the other managers."

Uploads

Villas-Boas: Still has targets
    CHELSEA TARGET MORE ADDITIONS

Andre Villas-Boas says Chelsea will try to buy at least a central midfielder and a winger before the transfer window closes - but not necessarily Luka Modric.
    The Blues have already seen two bids rejected for Tottenham playmaker Modric and Villas-Boas has repeatedly refused to confirm whether they have made, or are planning, a third.
    But Chelsea's new boss remains in the market for that type of player - and another midfielder - after admitting he is lacking numbers in the middle of the park.
    "I think we might add in those positions - we might," he said on strengthening his midfield. "The sense of urgency in midfield is there.
    "We play 4-3-3, we have a squad of 25. For you to prepare for a game, you need at least six midfielders. We only have four.
    "But we have the versatility of (Florent) Malouda, for example, and Yossi (Benayoun), who we have been using in the 10 and the eight position to a very, very good extent and a very good level."
    Every time Villas-Boas has spoken publicly since his appointment seven-and-a-half weeks ago, he has been faced with questions about Modric.
    He gave short shrift to the latest of them, saying: "I just explained to you the sense of urgency in midfield. But it doesn't mean that it's Luka.
    "Not that I'm interested, but you have (Samir) Nasri terminating contract.
    "He's one of the most exciting players in the Premier League and that's the reality, as well as Luka, as well as other players."
    As well as bringing players in, Villas-Boas must decide which of his star-studded squad to keep.
    Striker Didier Drogba has already been offered a new contract to replace the one which expires next summer.
    "Didier knows about our offers and he has made a counter-offer, and we are evaluating some things," concluded Villas-Boas, who was coy over whether Drogba was looking for more than a one-year extension.

Uploads

Defoe: Could have 'big' season
    REDKNAPP HAS FAITH IN DEFOE

Harry Redknapp is willing to give Jermain Defoe the opportunity to revive his Tottenham career, insisting the striker could have a 'big season'.
    Defoe has been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane this summer after scoring just four Premier League goals last term in a campaign which was hindered by injury.
    However, after seeing the 28-year-old visit a fitness coach in France and complete a strong pre-season, manager Redknapp still has the England international in his plans.
    He told the Sunday People: "Jermain did not have the best time of things last season and had problems with injuries.
    "He only scored four league goals and he is a 16-17 goal a season player, no question.
    "But he has looked fit and he has looked really sharp in pre-season and a lot of that is down to his own efforts.
    "He went over to France to see a fitness coach and that really does seem to have helped him a lot.
    "I am looking for him to have a big season for Tottenham. He is really flying at the moment."
    Spurs' opening Premier League encounter against Everton was postponed this weekend due to the London riots, meaning they will get their campaign underway with a UEFA Europa League play-off visit to Hearts on Thursday.
    Redknapp is already facing an injury crisis ahead of the Edinburgh trip, with absentees in his midfield incurring a selection headache.
    He added: "I'm struggling in that area. Jermaine Jenas is injured and so are Sandro, Steven Pienaar and Tom Huddlestone.
    "At the moment, I think only Luka Modric is fit to play in midfield. On top of that William Gallas and Ledley King are also out."

Uploads

Howe: Bid accepted for Ings
    BURNLEY AGREE FEE FOR INGS

Championship club Burnley have agreed a fee with League One side Bournemouth to sign striker Danny Ings.
    The 19-year-old will now discuss personal terms with the Clarets on Monday and could follow boss Eddie Howe from the south-coast club.
    Ings scored eight goals in 28 games for the Cherries last season, but has yet to bag this term and did not feature against Sheffield Wednesday.

Uploads

Valdez: Signs four-year contract
    RUBIN SIGN NELSON VALDEZ

Spanish club Hercules have confirmed Paraguay international Nelson Valdez has joined Rubin Kazan.
    Espanyol and Getafe along with two English clubs were in the running for the 27-year-old, but Rubin have won the race for his signature.
    Valdez, who is believed to have cost Rubin 5million euros (4.3m) has signed a four-year contract with the Russian outfit.
    Hercules were relegated to the Segunda division at the end of last season and their poor financial state meant they had to cash in on the striker.
    Valdez joined from Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2010 and he scored eight goals in 25 appearances for the Alicante club.

Uploads

Fabregas: Set for Barcelona move
    FABREGAS SET FOR BARCA RETURN

Cesc Fabregas has finally got his dream move back to Barcelona as Arsenal confirmed they had agreed terms for the sale of their captain.
    While the Gunners were always determined to keep Fabregas, who joined them from the Spanish club in 2003 as a raw teenager, it became clear this summer the player was no longer committed to the Arsenal cause.
    The European champions had seen a 27million offer rebuffed earlier in the summer as Arsenal remained steadfast in their demands over a 40million fee for their midfielder.
    However, with Barcelona not willing to significantly up their cash bid, and Gunners manager Arsene Wenger admitting the player was unsettled, Arsenal reluctantly have allowed a cut-price deal to go through.
    The package is widely reported to include a down payment of 30 million euros (27million), with an additional 6m euros (5.2m) in performance-based add-ons at a later stage.
    There are also suggestions Fabregas is prepared to waive the 4million compensation he would be entitled to for the remainder of his long-term Arsenal contract, as technically the player never asked for a transfer.
    In a statement on Arsenal's club's official website, Wenger tonight expressed his disappointment at Fabregas' departure.
    "We have been clear that we didn't want Cesc to leave and that remains the case," he said.
    "However, we understand Cesc's desire to move to his home town club and have now accepted an offer from Barcelona.
    "We thank Cesc for his contribution at Arsenal and wish him future success."
    Fabregas had, officially at least, been struggling for match fitness because of a hamstring injury which saw him miss the club's Asia Tour and other pre-season games.
    Wenger consciously omitted his captain from the Emirates Cup and the World Cup winner was not selected for Saturday's opening Barclays Premier League fixture at Newcastle, which ended goalless and saw summer signing Gervinho sent off.
    Fabregas joined Arsenal for nothing from Barcelona in 2003, and has made more than 300 appearances, scoring 57 goals.
    However, despite winning both the European Championships and World Cup with Spain, club success has not followed for the midfielder, who missed the Gunners' shock Carling Cup final defeat at Wembley through injury.
    Fabregas is now set to agree personal terms and undergo a medical on Monday before sealing his return to the Nou Camp.
    Wenger, meanwhile, will face the media tomorrow ahead of Arsenal's crunch Champions League play-off against Udinese, which were Fabregas to have played would have made him ineligible for any other club later in the competition.
    The Gunners boss will now be under more pressure to spend the proceeds of Fabregas sale - and indeed the Emirates Stadium coffers could yet be swelled further should contract rebel Samir Nasri also move on before the transfer window closes, with Manchester City said to be ready to bid 22million for the France midfielder.
    Wenger, though, has already ruled out a swoop for Juan Mata from Valencia, but could yet look to push through a 15million deal for Shakhtar Donetsk's Brazilian midfielder Jadson.
    Nasri will not be available for the first leg of the Udinese tie because of UEFA disciplinary sanctions, which also mean Wenger must serve a touch-line ban following the fall-out from their Champions League exit in Barcelona last season.
    Striker Robin van Persie, likely to be the new permanent Arsenal captain, will also be suspended after his red card in the Nou Camp.
    Midfielder Alex Song, meanwhile, could yet find himself on a charge from the Football Association for appearing to stamp on Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton, an incident which was missed by referee Peter Walton during Saturday's ill-tempered game at St James' Park.