Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Man accused of trying to hack Facebook granted bail

  1. #1
    Super Moderator sofien72tu's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2007
    Posts
    5,140
    Uploads
    13

    Man accused of trying to hack Facebook granted bail

    Man accused of trying to hack Facebook granted bail
    Wednesday, August 17 2011, 17:22 BST
    By Andrew Laughlin,


    A 25-year-old British man accused of attempting to hack into social network Facebook has been released on bail, but barred from accessing the internet.

    Glenn Mangham, from York, appeared before Westminster magistrates' court this morning charged with five counts under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 of attempting to "penetrate Facebook's security". He was arrested by the Met police at his home in York on June 2.

    Between April 17 and May 9, Mangham stands accused of downloading a computer programme "to secure unauthorised access" to Facebook, along with attempting to hack into the site's "Mailman" server, reports The Guardian.

    Other charges pertain to the alleged use of PHP script to secure access to a Facebook server and of sharing the PHP script with others, as well as gaining "repeated" access to another Facebook server.

    Mangham's alleged hacking attempts are not believed to be linked to the computer hacking groups LulzSec and Anonymous, who have carried out various recent attacks on high profile websites.

    During the session today, Mangham was ordered not to access the internet as part of his bail conditions ahead of a committal hearing on September 28.

    The judge presiding over the session warned Mangham's parents that their son is facing "serious allegations" and the bail conditions are in place to "minimise the risk of him going on the internet".

    He added: "The court feels it will be safer if there was no access to the internet which will reduce the temptation for your son to go on to Facebook."

    A spokeswoman for Facebook said: "While no user data was compromised [in the alleged hacking attempts], we have been working with Scotland Yard and the FBI as we take any attempt to hack our internal systems extremely seriously."

    Also today, a teenager who posted a message on Facebook encouraging those engaged in the UK riots has been banned from using any social networking websites for a year.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator sofien72tu's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2007
    Posts
    5,140
    Uploads
    13

    Teen banned from social networks for Facebook riots post

    Teen banned from social networks for Facebook riots post
    Wednesday, August 17 2011, 13:31 BST
    By Andrew Laughlin,


    A teenager who posted a message on Facebook encouraging rioters has been banned from using any social networking websites for a year.

    Appearing at Bury St Edmonds Youth Court, the 17-year-old - who cannot be named for legal reasons - admitted to sending the message on Facebook.

    Magistrate Graham Higgins banned the teenager from using social media sites for 12 months, as well as ordering him to complete 120 hours of community service and a 12-month rehabilitation order. He also imposed a 7pm and 6am curfew for three months.

    The court heard that the boy wrote on Facebook: "I think we should start rioting, it's about time we stopped the authorities pushing us about and ruining this country.

    "It's about time we stood up for ourselves for once. So come on rioters - get some. LOL."

    Last week, Prime Minister David Cameron said that the government was considering banning people from social networks during times of unrest if they were found to be plotting violence.

    Meanwhile, a Cheshire man who was jailed for using Facebook to incite disorder during last week's riots is to appeal against his prison sentence, it has been confirmed.

    Jordan Blackshaw, from Marston, was jailed for four years at Chester Crown Court yesterday, alongside Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, from Warrington. Judge Elgan Edwards, the Recorder of Chester, said that he hoped the tough sentences would serve as a deterrent to others.

    Chris Johnson, the solicitor representing Blackshaw, said that the 21-year-old and his family were "somewhat shocked by the sentence" and plan to appeal, reports BBC News.

    Blackshaw and Sutcliffe-Keenan had pleaded guilty under sections 44 and 46 of the Serious Crime Act to encouraging others to assist the commission of an indictable offence.

    They had created a Facebook event called "Smash d[o]wn in Northwich Town", which was intended for the receipt of the "Mob Hill Massive Northwich Lootin". The event called on people to meet on August 9 in Northwich town centre.

    Johnson, of Moss Haselhurst solicitors in Winsford, told BBC News: "It was something which was started as a joke by Jordan. Obviously it was rather misplaced and misguided.

    "We are not aware of anyone taking up the call that they made. Northwich, as far as we understand, has remained peaceful."

    The sentences handed to rioters have attracted criticism from MPs, barristers and campaigners concerned that they are too harsh and could cause further social unrest.

Similar Threads

  1. Taliban slaughtering accused like animals
    By OnlyMuslim in forum English (UK)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-06-2009, 12:51:12
  2. Info TNT Serie granted licence
    By <<ELVIS>> in forum Daily Satellite TV News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 10:23:36
  3. New Two Worldspace top execs bail out
    By <<ELVIS>> in forum Daily Satellite TV News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 09:27:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •