Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 19-08-11

Adebayor: Scored twice against Tottenham last season.
    REDKNAPP: ADE LIKELY TO JOIN SPURS

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp thinks Emmanuel Adebayor will 'probably' move to White Hart Lane, but the deal is not yet definite.
    Spurs are trying to sign Manchester City's former Arsenal striker on loan after their problems in front of goal, which cost them a place in the Premier League's top four.
    Redknapp's team had no such scoring problems on Thursday night, as they embarrassed Hearts 5-0 at Tynecastle in the Europa League play-offs.
    But with Robbie Keane having joined LA Galaxy in midweek, there is room for another forward and Redknapp is optimistic Adebayor will soon arrive.
    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is in discussions with City regarding the Togolese, who has an excellent record against Spurs and scored twice against the Londoners while on loan at Real Madrid last season.
    Redknapp said when asked about the Adebayor deal after the victory over Hearts: "I honestly don't know. The chairman deals with that.
    "I've never spoken to the player or Manchester City or anybody there.
    "He (Levy) will be dealing with that at boardroom level.
    "It seems to have been progressing along and it seems like it probably will happen, but I'm not 100 per cent sure."
    Meanwhile, Redknapp confirmed Chelsea transfer target Luka Modric could recover from his groin injury to face Manchester United in the Premier League on Monday.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-08-11

El Zhar: Joined Liverpool in 2006
    EL ZHAR TO LEAVE LIVERPOOL

Liverpool have agreed to release striker Nabil El Zhar from his contract ahead of an expected move to Spanish side Levante.
    The 24-year-old joined the Reds from St Etienne in October 2006, scoring one goal in 32 appearances.
    The Moroccan spent last season on loan with Greek club PAOK.
    A statement on Thursday read: "Liverpool football club this evening confirmed they have reached agreement to release Nabil El Zhar from his Anfield contract.
    "The player is now expected to join Spanish side Levante, who have announced on their website they expect to finalise a two-year deal in the coming days."

Uploads

Rob Elliot: On Newcastle's radar
    ROB ELLIOT INTERESTS MAGPIES

Newcastle have made an enquiry about Charlton goalkeeper Rob Elliot.
    The Magpies have been left short on options between the sticks after agreeing to let Fraser Forster take in a second season-long loan spell at Celtic.
    Elliott, 25, will be out of contract at The Valley next summer and has yet to agree terms on a new deal.
    "I'm led to believe there has been a little bit of interest from Newcastle," confirmed Addicks manager Chris Powell.
    "Obviously we are dealing with that situation and whether they follow that up with anything concrete."
    When asked if he expected Elliot to be involved against Scunthorpe on Saturday, Powell added: "I hope so. Until something concrete happens I'm preparing for him to play.
    "I haven't spoken to him about it. There's no need. There's been a phone call but there's nothing to say he has to go up and have a medical and speak to them. It's at a very embryonic stage right now."
    Magpies boss Alan Pardew admits Newcastle are in the market for a keeper.
    Pardew feels he needs to cover that loss before the transfer window closes and has confirmed that he is tracking a number of options.
    He said: "Fraser is going to Celtic on loan for the year. That leaves us with an issue that we need a goalkeeper.
    "We are looking at options and possibly we could bring one in."

Uploads

Kenwright: No new signings
    KENWRIGHT BLAMES RECESSION

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright insists the club's inability to borrow any money from their bank is to blame for a lack of transfer activity this summer.
    The Toffees have not made any signings during the close season, much to their fans' frustration on the back of last term's seventh-place finish.
    Kenwright says the Merseysiders have also not even been able to sell any of their players to help raise funds to add new faces to David Moyes' squad.
    The club's supremo lays the finger of blame in the direction of their bank, who have clamped down on lending in the wake of the recession.
    "Two things, one the world is in a recession and I don't know any business that isn't suffering at the moment and I include football in that, other than the financial elite," he told Sky Sports News.
    "Two, we've come to a stage with our bank with our finance where we just can't borrow any more. You've been at the AGMs, EGMs, the shareholders' meeting when I've said year after year, what we do is we beg and borrow from the bank. That's what we've been doing.
    "The banks are tightening in now. We just can't borrow any more money. A, to protect the football club and B, to protect the fans. I know the progress over the past decade has been phenomenal on and off the pitch.
    "We knew this summer we were going to get to a point where things were going to get very, very tight. We knew we had to trade. There has not been a lot of trading in football itself this summer. We've not been able to trade yet and that's the reason that we've not bought in a new player."

Uploads

Lucho Gonzalez: Not set for Arsenal loan move
    ARSENAL FAIL WITH LUCHO GONZALEZ BID
    Didier Deschamps says Marseille have rejected a bid from Arsenal to sign midfielder Lucho Gonzalez on loan.
    The 30-year-old has been linked with a move away from the Stade Velordome all summer, but moves to Spain and Italy have never materialised.
    Arsenal were linked with a shock move for the playmaker, and Deschamps has confirmed that they did indeed show an interest in him - as opposed to his team-mate Mathieu Valbuena, who has also been linked with the Gunners.
    "The one that really interests them is Lucho Gonzalez," Deschamps confirmed at a news conference.
    "Arsene Wenger believes that it is a great player who could be useful to his team even though he does not fit in with his recruitment policy.
    "He wanted him on loan but it was not acceptable to us."

Uploads

Samir Nasri: Linked with Manchester City move
    WENGER PREPARED TO PICK NASRI
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger would have no problem picking contract rebel Samir Nasri against Liverpool on Saturday and urged Gunners fans not to jeer the France international.
    Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini remained hopeful a deal to sign the midfielder could be tied up "very quickly", with discussions between the two clubs believed to have been going on for some time.
    However, Wenger maintains while the 24-year-old - who has yet to sign a new deal and could leave for nothing next summer - is still an Arsenal player, there is no reason to leave him out now he is fully fit after a bout of illness.
    Nasri, though, could be in for a hostile reception from some sections of the home support, with the midfielder using his Twitter account to hit out at the "disrespectful" chants during last weekend's game at Newcastle.
    Nevertheless, Wenger - who this week saw captain Cesc Fabregas sold to Barcelona - told a news conference: "One thing I don't question is the commitment of Samir Nasri to this club.
    "Every day since he has arrived here, every day in pre-season, he has worked with a fantastic spirit in training."
    Wenger added: "The fans will want Arsenal to play well and win the game. They do not make an individual case of each player in each position.
    "They want good players and to win the football game."

Wenger maintains the views of a minority of hard-core supporters grabbing headlines should not be taken as the general stance from the stands.
    "You have to be careful," the Arsenal manager continued.
    "We live in a modern democracy where everybody has a right to have their opinion, but it does not mean always that a few opinions represent the majority.
    "The unfortunate thing is that the extreme opinions get more media attention than people who have normal common sense and intelligence.
    "Because a few people have a bad opinion of one person, it does not necessarily represent the majority of our fans.

"The majority of our fans are behind our players and I think they will show that tomorrow."The expected sale of Nasri would bring in around another 22million to add to the 30million Barcelona paid for Fabregas.
    Arsenal have been linked with a string of players this summer, including the likes of England defensive duo Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill.
    Wenger accepts given injuries his squad are now a bit light in midfield, as well as at the back.
    However, the Arsenal manager said: "We have lost big players, but number-wise we should be capable of doing well. If we find quality we will add quality to our squad and we work very hard on it."
    Wenger, however, maintains not signing proven Premier League talent is "nothing to do with the money", and again urged Arsenal supporters to keep the faith.
    "I believe I have shown in my 15 years here I am capable to make the right decision for the right players - you have seen more world class players here, or as many as anywhere else," he said.
    "You have to trust my judgement - one day somebody else will make the decisions in my place and we will have to trust him."
    Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, meanwhile, has certainly been busy in his rebuilding programme at Anfield - spending millions on Englishmen Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing and Scotland's Charlie Adam.
    "They were hyperactive in the market," Wenger said.
    "They bought many players. You can basically say it started in January - they have bought eight or nine players since so they fight very hard to come back to the top four, that shows you it is not easy as everybody thinks."

Uploads

Alessio Cerci: Manchester City transfer target
    FIORENTINA REJECT CITY BID FOR CERCI
    Fiorentina sporting director Pantaleo Corvino claims the club have rejected a bid from Manchester City for Alessio Cerci.
    City boss Roberto Mancini admitted last week that Cerci could be an option as he looks to bolster his squad for Champions League football this season, as well as a potential challenge for the Premier League title.
    Cerci has emerged as a highly-rated winger, scoring seven goals in 24 Serie A games for Fiorentina since joining from Roma last summer.
    And Corvino insists the Viola have turned down a concrete approach for their 24-year-old star from the big-spending Blues.
    "The only offer we have received is that of Manchester City for Cerci but the proposal didn't satisfy us," said Corvino.
    "Cerci is an important player for us. He didn't ask to leave and we have no plans to sell off our players."

Uploads

David Moyes: Accepts money will go to the bank
    MOYES: TOFFEES 'NOT A SELLING CLUB'
    Everton manager David Moyes has admitted any profit he makes from the sale of players is likely to go straight to the bank to ease the financial pressure on the club.
    However, he has stressed he will not allow the Toffees to become a selling club and would allow his top stars to go for big money if it prevented them getting into further difficulties.
    On Thursday, chairman Bill Kenwright admitted the Toffees had reached their credit limit with the banks.
    With expenditure outstripping income by at least 5million a year he said the tough times were likely to continue until a buyer could be found to inject new investment.
    Moyes is well used to working within financial restraints but insists he will not be held to ransom by clubs who think they can take advantage of their predicament.
    He said Everton had already rejected a 2million bid from Championship side Leicester for striker Jermaine Beckford, with two other unnamed clubs also having offers turned down.
    The Scot has yet to sign any players this summer and knows he has to sell before he can buy, but even if he can offload some fringe players he may not reap the benefit in terms of bringing in new faces.
    "Supporters want to see signings in the summer but either we are talking Swahili and people can't understand us but the chairman has been saying we don't have any money," he said.
    "We have not had finances for three or four years. We have always had to trade and I don't think that is any different from before.
    "A few years ago we had to trade Andy Johnson and James McFadden and Joleon Lescott to be able to bring players in.
    "Managers have to do that - not everyone is going to be gifted with loads of money to spend and you have to do your best without it.
    "Anything we get (from signings) the money will probably go to the bank - it might not be able to be re-invested in players. We are in this situation and we have to get on with it."
    Moyes was unclear as to whether he would get any money from the sale of one major asset - Arsenal have had a bid turned down for defender Phil Jagielka.
    But it is not a prospect he is considering after admitting he had not even thought of quitting because of the state of the finances.
    "I brought all the players here - everyone by me. I have a responsibility to them," he added.
    "There is not a club in the country who does not have a price for every player and if we got an offer big enough I would have to sell.
    "But at the moment no-one has come in with an offer which has come close to making me consider it.
    "We had a 2million bid from Leicester - we have had an offer from three clubs for Jermaine - but we've not had one offer which we consider coming close to what Jermaine is worth.
    "I am not going to become a selling club, I am not here to do that I am here to build a strong team and no-one will go unless I say so.
    "If I get an offer which is right of course I will [sell].
    "I would never put Everton in jeopardy and if we were getting in the situation one or two other clubs have got in then obviously I would have to do something but we are not in that situation."
    Everton's inability to attract outside investors is a puzzling one for Moyes, especially considering opponents QPR have just acquired a new owner less than three months after gaining promotion to the Barclays Premier League.
    "You'd have to ask a business advisor why," he said when asked why no-one had come forward to buy the club.
    "QPR have got new owners now who are going to give (manager) Neil Warnock a chance to help him in the division.
    "He has done a great job in getting QPR up and he needs every opportunity now."

Uploads

Cesc Fabregas: Joined Barcelona from Arsenal
    FABREGAS: I NEEDED A NEW CHALLENGE
    Cesc Fabregas knows he has a fight on his hands for first-team opportunities at Barcelona but insists he had to leave Arsenal because he had "stagnated".
    The midfielder returned to Barca this week to conclude one of the most protracted transfer sagas in world football.
    Barca paid an initial 29million euros to sign their youth team product from the Gunners after he made it clear he wanted to return to the Nou Camp.
    Fabregas has spoken of his delight at completing the move but admits he faces the biggest challenge of his career now.
    "The easiest thing would have been to stay at Arsenal," he told Barca TV.
    "I'm the captain, playing every game. We are always in the Champions League, always fighting for titles.
    "For all that, and the tough competition here, perhaps now might be the worst time to return to Barca. It's going to be really tough to make the starting XI, but I needed a new challenge in my life.
    "I thought I'd stagnated a bit, and needed a change of scenery. I needed a special motivation to bring the best out of myself."
    Fabregas will fight for a midfield place with Xavi and Andres Iniesta, as well as youngster Thiago Alcantara.
    His signing is viewed as a long-term acquisition with a view to him taking over from Xavi in the future but Fabregas played down the suggestion.
    "I don't know," he insisted.
    "I think that Xavi still has some years left in him! He does things you wouldn't believe!
    "I haven't come to retire Xavi. I came here to play with Xavi, to compete with Xavi, and to win with Xavi.
    "What I'm saying about Xavi also goes for Andres and Thiago. I think altogether we make a very good group. I know what we'll do. With the great group we are, we'll do great things together."
    The 24-year-old is simply relieved the saga is over after spending much of the summer in limbo hoping the move would happen.
    "The last months I've been under a lot of pressure," he admitted.
    "Mentally it's really tiring, but it finally happened and I'm very happy to be back at Barca.
    "It is partly my fault that it has been so complicated, for having left. Not in my wildest dreams had I imagined that one day I would play for the Barca first team.
    "Not as a child, nor playing with Arsenal had I thought I'd live a day like Monday."

Uploads

Jon Walters: Staying at Stoke
    WALTERS HANDED NEW POTTERS DEAL
    Jon Walters has been rewarded for an impressive first year at Stoke with a 12-month contract extension which keeps him at the Britannia Stadium until the summer of 2015.
    The striker was a 2.75million signing from Ipswich a year ago and went on to score 12 goals last season, including five in the Potters' run to the FA Cup final.
    Stoke boss Tony Pulis told stokecityfc.com: "Jon's rise to prominence is an inspiration to others. He has had to battle his way back up from the lower leagues through hard work and dedication."

Walters began his professional career with Blackburn and Bolton but cut his teeth with moves to Hull, Scunthorpe, Wrexham and Chester before Ipswich forked out 150,000 to take him back up the leagues in 2007.
    Pulis added on stokecityfc.com: "We took him on because we thought he could do a good job for us, but he has actually done fantastically well and he has now got his just rewards.
    "I am sure there are other players out there who could follow his example and make an impact in the Premier League if they are given the chance.
    "We are delighted Jon has agreed this new deal and made sure that his long-term future lies with us because he has an important role to play here."
    With Stoke currently short of fire power up front, the onus has fallen very much on Walters and strike partner Kenwyne Jones, and Walters is already off the mark for the season after netting the Potters' first Europa League goal against Hajduk Split last month.
    The 27-year-old Republic of Ireland international admitted even he was taken aback by the speed with which he adjusted to life in the Premier League.
    Walters said: "It was a fantastic first season here for me - far better than I could ever have imagined. I want to repay this club for the faith they have shown in my ability and there are certainly some exciting opportunities to do that."
    Walters needed stitches in a head wound and also sustained a gash to his shin in a bruising 1-0 win over Swiss side FC Thun last night but Pulis is confident he will be fit for Sunday's Premier League trip to Norwich.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast