Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 23-08-11

Kuyt: Happy at Anfield.
    DIRK KUYT PLAYS DOWN INTER TALK

Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt has brushed off speculation linking him with a move to Inter Milan and insisted he is happy at Anfield.
    Kuyt's agent Rob Jansen was on Monday quoted as saying his client was considering his future after interest from Inter, but the Holland international is adamant he will respect the contract extension he signed in April.
    He told Voetbal International on Tuesday: "As far as I know there is nothing true about this. I am very happy at Liverpool.
    "I didn't extend my contract for two years three months ago for nothing. You don't do that if you have the intention to go away quickly."
    Kuyt, 31, was a substitute for the opening-day draw with Sunderland but started Saturday's win at Arsenal before making way for Raul Meireles after 71 minutes.
    And the former Feyenoord man accepts Kenny Dalglish's summer spending spree means he may just be a squad player this term.
    He added: "Maybe people think that I want to leave. But it doesn't work like that for me.
    "Liverpool has a very big squad and therefore you could sometimes be on the bench.
    "It's my intention to stay here, though you know nothing is certain. In football things can be different tomorrow."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-08-11

Dyer: Pleased to stay a part of the Premier League side.
    NATHAN DYER COMMITS TO SWANS

Swansea have tied yet another of their key players to the club after Nathan Dyer signed a new three-year contract at the Liberty Stadium.
    The 23-year-old winger was set to be out of contract next summer but will instead remain with the south Wales outfit until the summer of 2014.
    The former Southampton man was a key figure in the Swans' promotion charge last term, securing the Supporters' Player of the Year award.
    And he has started the new season in a similar vein, winning the man-of-the-match award in the goalless draw with Wigan, and Dyer admits agreeing a new deal was straightforward.
    "I'm really pleased. We've just got to the Premier League and I want to be part of things," he said.
    "It's a great club so I'm happy to be here. Talks went well and it was nice and easy to sign a contract.
    "We've made massive strides as a club and I don't see why I should want to go anywhere else.
    "I can learn my trade here and keep improving as a player."
    Dyer joins Ashley Williams, Andrea Orlandi, Angel Rangel, Joe Allen, Neil Taylor, Garry Monk and Tom Butler in agreeing a new deal, and he is hopeful that an encouraging display against the Latics on Saturday is a taste of things to come.
    "I think we will do well this season," said Dyer. "First off, we wanted to achieve our Premier League status and now we want to stay there.
    "The rest is about progressing as an individual and hopefully I will keep pushing myself and become a better player.
    "Everyone wants to stay, fight for their place and play as much as they can.
    "The fans have been with us on this journey to the Premier League - they have been outstanding - and we want to repay them by staying in the Premier League."

Uploads

Maiga: Subject of Newcastle interest.
    SOCHAUX CALL IN UEFA AGAINST MAGPIES

French club Sochaux have asked FIFA to intervene after claiming Newcastle made an illegal approach to striker Modibo Maiga.
    The Mali international has been conspicuous by his absence from Sochaux's squad since indicating his desperation to be allowed to talk to the Magpies.
    But his current employers accuse Newcastle of speaking to 23-year-old Maiga without their permission and have confirmed they contacted FIFA on Monday over the issue.
    A statement on their official website, fcsochaux.fr, read: "On Monday August 22, 2011, FC Sochaux-Montbeliard sent a referral to FIFA with the aim of obtaining (assurances) on the part of Newcastle United that they will stop their contacts with Modibo Maiga, who is under contract with FCSM until 2014.
    "This (contact) is in violation of Article 18 of the current international regulations.
    "This measure comes after Sochaux demanded without success, in an official manner and on two occasions, that the English club put a stop to their actions."

Uploads

McCarthy: Signs new five year deal.
    WIGAN SECURE TRIO ON NEW DEALS

Wigan trio James McCarthy, Emmerson Boyce and Ben Watson have all signed new contracts with the club.
    Former Hamilton star McCarthy has committed his future to the north-west outfit for the next five seasons, with fellow midfielder Ben Watson penning a three-year deal.
    Defender Boyce, who is closing on the club's record tally of Premier League appearances, has signed for two years.
    Latics manager Roberto Martinez said: "In any transfer window, all we often hear about are possible new arrivals and targets coming out of the blue and we can sometimes forget the importance of keeping a really competitive core of players at the club.
    "We have been talking to several of our players and we are delighted to announce these first three, with hopefully more to come very soon. Having players commit their long-term futures provides the platform we need to build from.
    "James is a young man with a very big future in the game, and it speaks volumes that he has chosen Wigan to carry on his football education. We are proud to have him as a Wigan Athletic player.
    "Ben has grown to become a key member of the team over the past 12 months and has shown great maturity on the field. He is in the best moment of his career but I'm sure his best years still lie in front of him, here at the DW Stadium.
    "As for Emmerson, what can we say? He is now in his sixth season at the club and is a true professional who continues to set the highest daily standards, he is an example to others around him and a true ambassador for Wigan Athletic."
    McCarthy's superb goal against Blackburn was voted by fans as last season's Latics goal of the season, and the 20-year-old Republic of Ireland international has also been named Wigan's young player of the year for both seasons since his arrival.
    "I owe a big debt of loyalty to the club and the gaffer for giving me the chance to prove myself in the Premier League, and I am really pleased to be able to sign this deal," he said.
    Watson has joined McCarthy as a key figure in Martinez's first-choice midfield after excelling in the latter stages of last season, and the 26-year-old said: "I'm looking forward to keep establishing ourselves further in the Premier League over the next few years and there's a real good feeling at the club right now.
    "I've really enjoyed my time here and I just want to thank the manager, the club and the supporters for making me feel so welcome."
    Boyce's 134 top-flight appearances leave him just 11 short of Paul Scharner's club record and the 31-year-old said: "I'm delighted to sign for another two years, I've enjoyed the best years of my career here.
    "There have been many changes during my time, but it's a great young squad at the moment that will keep improving. Thanks to all the supporters for sticking by me over the years!"

Uploads

Nasri: Set for trip to Udinese.
    NASRI TRAINS WITH FUTURE UNKNOWN

Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri trained with the squad this morning ahead of their crunch Champions League tie against Udinese on Wednesday, with his future seemingly no closer to being resolved.
    The France international started Saturday's defeat to Liverpool despite reports claiming he was on the brink of joining Manchester City, whose manager Roberto Mancini said on Sunday that he hoped to sign the 24-year-old "this week".
    His stance is the opposite to that of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, though, who claims that Nasri is "happy" in north London.
    Arsenal head to Udine later on Tuesday, needing to preserve their one-goal lead if they are to reach the group stages of the Champions League and, if Nasri were to play, he would be cup-tied until the new year and become a much less attractive proposition for City.
    It is not yet known whether or not Nasri will fly out with his team-mates, but England midfielder Jack Wilshere definitely will not, missing training again owing to his ongoing ankle injury.
    Wenger's midfield options are boosted however, owing to the fact that Alex Song and Emmanuel Frimpong's domestic suspensions will not apply at the Stadio Friuli.

Uploads

Wright-Phillips: Expected to leave City
    ZAT KNIGHT HOPES FOR SWP DEAL

Zat Knight is hoping Bolton Wanderers' performance against Manchester City will persuade Shaun Wright-Phillips to move to the Reebok Stadium.
    Wright-Phillips is set to leave City before the close of the transfer window and has a string of clubs chasing his signature.
    Bolton are reported to have agreed a 2.5million fee with City, but Wright-Phillips is still weighing up his options, with the likes of Queens Park Rangers and Lazio interested.
    The England international watched City's thrilling 3-2 win at Bolton on Sunday, and Trotters defender Knight is keen for the winger to link up with Owen Coyle's squad.
    "I wish he was signing for Bolton tomorrow, obviously, but at the moment he's a Manchester City player," said Knight.
    "He's the sort of player we'd love to have here. It's out of my hands but if it was in my hands he'd be playing for us next week.
    "Shaun's a good friend of mine and I really hope he chooses Bolton.
    "With the type of football we try to play at Bolton, we would love him here. We try and go down the wings and get the ball out there. That's what he can do.
    "I hope the way we played against City will encourage him to come here. Because we're good friends, he's been to quite a few games.
    "He's watched us on Sunday and, speaking to him after the game, it seems he was quite impressed. So, hopefully, we've turned his head a little bit."

Uploads

Chadli: Wanted by Fulham
    FULHAM FAIL IN NACER CHADLI BID

Fulham have been told to double their reported offer of five million euros (4.37million) for winger Nacer Chadli by FC Twente chairman Joop Munsterman.
    The 21-year-old has impressed for the Enschede club since joining from AGOVV last summer and scored in both recent Champions League clashes with Tottenham.
    Such form has seen Chadli attract interest from across Europe, with Fulham reportedly lodging a bid for the Belgium international.
    Cottagers boss Martin Jol has been vocal about his desire to bolster his attacking options and Munsterman claims the Dutchman is also interested in Costa Rican team-mate Bryan Ruiz, although he does not expect him to get very far.
    "The offer for Chadli we consider a half bid, "he told Voetbal International. "And Bryan did not even want to join Fulham."

Uploads

Balotelli: Out of Palermo's league says Zamparini
    ZAMPARINI RULES OUT BALOTELLI MOVE

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini insists his club have no chance of signing Manchester City forward Mario Balotelli.
    The Italy international has not featured at all in either of City's Barclays Premier League matches to date.
    Balotelli was born in the Sicilian city and was quoted as saying in Gazzetta dello Sport: "You know where I'd like to play? Palermo. I'd love to go there. It's a nice place, and it's sunny."
    Palermo's finances have been boosted by the sale of Argentinian playmaker Javier Pastore to Paris St Germain for a reported 37million, but even so, Zamparini thinks Balotelli is out of their league.
    "But if we sold (Javier) Pastore over a contract issue, imagine what we'd be taking on with Balotelli.
    "Mario is an Inter Milan, AC Milan or Juventus type of player, but even those clubs would have problems finding the kind of money that he gets paid at Manchester City. Let alone Palermo."
    Zamparini instead said he was focused on signing "at least three players" before the summer transfer window closes.
    They are reportedly interested in Chievo goalkeeper Stefano Sorrentino, Uruguayan winger Matias Aguirregaray from Spanish side Terrassa, River Plate striker Lucas Ocampos and Santos midfielder Marcos Arouca.

Uploads

Coates: Set to decide on future this week
    YOUNGSTER COATES TO DECIDE FUTURE

Uruguay starlet Sebastian Coates expects his future to be decided this week.
    The highly-rated central defender is being tracked by a host of clubs across Europe, with Juventus, Lazio, Porto and Benfica all mentioned.
    But the Premier League has seemingly been the most likely destination. Manchester City were first to be linked, but now Liverpool are said to be keen on securing the 20-year-old's signature.
    "This week I will talk about offers and decide whether to go or stay here," he told Ovacion.
    Coates's father and agent Peter is currently understood to be in Europe discussing his son's future.

Uploads

John: On his way Europe
    BLACKBURN CLOSE ON GEORGE JOHN

FC Dallas have confirmed that defender George John has flown to Europe ahead of finalising a move to Blackburn Rovers.
    Rovers made their move for John last week and now a deal appears to be edging closer to completion.
    Blackburn have reportedly agreed a 2million deal with Major League Soccer for John, and FC Dallas have revealed that he is now on his way to Greece to finalise his passport, which would mean he could play in England without a work permit.
    "For the young man to get on a plane and go all the way to Greece to pick up his passport and expedite it, there has to be some kind of solid ground there," FC Dallas technical director Barry Gorman confirmed.
    "Whether it's completely solid, I don't know. I've seen so many of these things break down at the last minute.
    "When a player is going to get a Greek passport so he'll have the ability to play in Europe, there's not much we can do.
    "We realise that this league is a picking ground for bigger leagues, and you've got a young man like George, who's been successful in this league and gets what seems to be a golden opportunity like this, a club or a league can't stand in his way."
    John's agent Theodore Philipakos told MLSsoccer: "The fee has been agreed in principle.
    "We haven't negotiated personal terms with Blackburn. Dallas and MLS have allowed him to travel, and we're taking steps toward that."
    Dallas president Doug Quinn added: "George flew to Greece to take care of passport issues.
    "We are talking to Blackburn about a possible transfer, but no deal is finalised at this time."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast