Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 24-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 24-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 24-08-11

Wenger: Will be trying to add fresh faces
    ARSENE WENGER KEEN TO STRENGTHEN

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has vowed to strengthen his squad following the sale of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri's imminent switch to Manchester City.
    The Gunners reluctantly agreed a deal with Barcelona to allow Fabregas to return home while Nasri's refusal to extend his stay meant the club were always likely to cash in.
    The club have landed the likes of Gervinho, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Carl Jenkinson, but fans are keen to see more fresh faces as Wenger seeks to end their six-year run without silverware.
    The transfer window closes in a week's time and the Frenchman insists the club will be bolstering their injury-hit squad following an inauspicious start to the new Premier League campaign.
    "We will strengthen our squad of course, in the coming weeks," confirmed Wenger in the Daily Mirror ahead of Wednesday's crucial UEFA Champions League play-off against Udinese. "Hopefully we can manage to do that."
    Wenger has again delved into the reasons why they sold Fabregas and their decision to agree a deal with City for Nasri.
    The Gunners boss believes it was logical to sell Nasri for financial and psychological reasons.
    "We did not want to lose Fabregas, but we were forced into a situation we didn't want," he continued.
    "Nasri is a situation where the player didn't want to extend his contract with the proposals he had somewhere else.
    "What kind of commitment can you have when the player is not there long-term? That is the question you have to answer."
    He added: "Football rules are made like that, that the player can be worth a lot of money today and nothing in six months.
    "So it doesn't look completely logical but, at the end of the day, of course, we are forced into a decision like that for psychological and financial reasons."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 24-08-11

Coates: Liverpool table a 'very good' offer for the defender
    LIVERPOOL CLOSE ON SEBASTIAN COATES

Liverpool are closing in on the capture of Nacional's Uruguay international defender Sebastian Coates in an estimated 8million deal.
    Nacional are yet to accept The Reds' offer with the likes of Manchester City and Shakhtar Donetsk also said to be interested in the 20-year-old stopper.
    Coates' father and agent Peter is believed to have been in England to discuss personal terms with Liverpool's director of football Damien Comolli.
    Nacional's vice-president Hector Olmes has confirmed Liverpool have tabled a 'very good' offer and that he expects the player to make the Anfield switch.
    "The offer is very good," revealed Olmes. "Surely Coates will go to Liverpool."
    The youngster, who starred for Uruguay in last month's Copa America, is not ruling out a Premier League move.
    "The Premier League? Do not rule anything out," he stated.

Uploads

Maiga: Dreaming of a move to the Premier League
    MAIGA WANTS NEWCASTLE MOVE

Modibo Maiga has told Sochaux he wants to join Newcastle amid the French club's claims the Mali striker has been tapped up.
    Sochaux have contacted Fifa stating there has been an illegal approach for the 23-year-old, who has reportedly gone AWOL since interest emerged from St James' Park.
    Pardew, who also wants to sign PSV Eindhoven's 7million-rated left-back, Erik Pieters, has suggested clubs are performing 'brinkmanship' in an attempt to earn more money.
    But Maiga's intentions appear clear, as he told L'Equipe: "I want it to be done with Newcastle. I want to leave - it is necessary that the president agrees to negotiate.
    "I met everybody, they want me and it is not any club. England is a dream. I want to go."
    It remains to be seen whether Newcastle continue their interest in Maiga, but they are expected to pursue an attempt to sign Pieters.
    Pardew said in the Daily Star: "I think there is a little bit of brinkmanship going on, which is understandable.
    "If clubs are resigned to losing a player, they want the best possible price.
    "So, when a transfer gets close, suddenly other clubs and the media get to know about it and all sorts of accusations fly around.
    "But when you cut through everything, I want two positions filled before the end of the window and I think we will do that."

Uploads

Peter Crouch: Linked with QPR
    WARNOCK PLAYS DOWN TRANSFER TALK

Neil Warnock has played down speculation linking QPR with Joe Cole and Peter Crouch and revealed he has not made a second bid for Scott Parker.
    Speculation has been rife about potential signings for the Premier League side since new owner Tony Fernandes took over at Loftus Road.
    But Warnock has distanced himself from reports he hopes to land Liverpool's Cole and Spurs striker Crouch.
    He said: "I'd love Joe Cole and Peter Crouch but I don't think they'll be at QPR.
    "It's nice to be linked with people like that. When Crouch was first mentioned, I didn't think we could afford one of his shoe laces.
    "I've only made one enquiry for Scott Parker and haven't been in since. We have a number of options and I'm optimistic about them."

Uploads

Samuel Eto'o: Set to join Anzhi
    ANZHI AGREE SAMUEL ETO'O DEAL

Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala have reached an agreement with Inter Milan to sign Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o in a deal which will make him one of the world's best-paid players.
    Anzhi spokesman Alexander Udaltsov confirmed on Tuesday that the club will pay Inter 21million euros for the 30-year-old, who will earn 30million euros over his three-year contract.
    A statement on the Russian club's official website read: "Today an agreement was reached between the football clubs, Anzhi and Inter, for the transfer of Samuel Eto'o.
    "The terms of the transfer are completely agreed on both sides."
    Udaltsov told BBC Sport: "The contract is 21million euros - 15million paid straight away and 6million more.
    "Over the three years he'll get around 30million euros."
    Udaltsov believes the deal represents good business for his club.
    "He's a good player so of course he costs good money," he said.
    "Of course it's a very good deal for our club. Samuel is very well known all over the world.
    "We hope he can help our club reach our high ambition - playing in the Champions League and doing well in the Russian Premier Liga.
    "This shows we have a real big ambition - not only talking.
    "We're always looking to sign the best players all over the world. Our club is already in the process of building a big team and of course Samuel is a big step in doing that."
    Udaltsov revealed the club had a three-year target to get into Europe's premier club competition.
    He said: "We have a target this season to be in the top eight in the Russian league - in one year only the top eight play against each other in the second stage of the Russian league so this year we only need to be in the top eight.
    "Next season there will be absolutely new targets because the team will be almost be completely changed from team last year.
    "I think we're talking about a three-year plan to play in the Champions League."
    He continued: "The first step was getting Roberto Carlos to our club when everyone was laughing.
    "Now you see we have a lot of good players in our team - not only Eto'o but Roberto Carlos, Mbark Boussoufa - three-time best player in the Belgian league - one of the best players of PSV Eindhoven in Balazs Dzsudzsak and one of the best player of Uzbekistan in Odil Ahmedov.
    "We understand we need time to rebuild the team.
    "The fact you buy a lot of good players doesn't mean you have a good team. They need time to play with each other on the field - that's why we have set a target to be in the Champions League in three years' time."
    The statement from Anzhi continued: "Anzhi expresses gratitude to the leadership of Inter Milan for their professional and constructive approach in the negotiations.
    "Tomorrow the player will undergo a medical examination, following which the player will be awarded a three-year contract.
    "On Thursday, Samuel will arrive at the location of his new team and will begin preparations for the match against FC Rostov."
    Anzhi market consultant German Tkachenko led a delegation from the Russian club who met with their Inter counterparts on Tuesday afternoon to thrash out the deal.
    Eto'o scored 21 goals in 35 Serie A appearances for Inter last season, having helped Barcelona to Champions League glory in 2006 and 2009, scoring in the final victories over Arsenal and Manchester United.

Uploads

Roque Santa Cruz: Set for loan move
    RAYO HOPE TO LAND DUO ON LOAN

Primera Liga newcomers Rayo Vallecano remain hopeful of landing strike pair Dani Pacheco and Roque Santa Cruz on loan.
    Liverpool's Pacheco was previously thought to be due to undergo a medical on Monday ahead of a season-long loan but the club's sport director Felipe Minambres said on Tuesday this has not yet taken place.
    However, he insisted the club are hopeful of sealing a deal for the promising striker to return to his homeland before the weekend.
    He added the club have Paraguay international Santa Cruz also on their radar and they are awaiting a response from Manchester City.
    He told EFE: "The Paraguayan is in a group of players that have interested us for a long time. We have presented an offer to City and now we await the answer."
    But Minambres believes the club will miss out on another target - Juventus winger Iago Falque.
    He added: "The agent says this is very difficult because they have received an interesting offer from England."

Uploads

Rajkovic: Makes Hamburg switch
    HSV SWOOP FOR RAJKOVIC

Hamburg have confirmed the signing of defender Slobodan Rajkovic for an undisclosed fee from Chelsea.
    The 22-year-old Serbian passed a medical on Tuesday and put pen to paper on a four-year contract with the German club today.
    He could make his debut for the Bundesliga team in their home game against Cologne on Saturday.
    Hamburg coach Michael Oenning admitted he could play immediately. "I don't want to rule anything out," he told his club's website.
    "I have to get to know him a bit first.
    He is tall and an uncomfortable opponent. He has a quality that we don't really have in our squad and that we need while he is left footed, which was particularly important to me."
    Due to work permit difficulties, the Serbia international spent practically all of his time as a Chelsea player out on loan in Holland.
    He first joined PSV Eindhoven before spending two seasons with FC Twente, with whom he won the Dutch title in 2010, and then a year with Vitesse Arnheim, where he was made captain last season.
    His form in the Eredivisie has also earned him a regular place in the senior Serbia national team and now he is ready to further in his career in one of Europe's top leagues.
    "Holland has a very good league for young players to develop in," he said.
    "The Bundesliga is the next step. It is a strong league, but I have played with PSV in the Champions League and Twente in the Europa League and so I hope to find my feet quickly in Germany."
    Having conceded 10 goals in their first three Bundesliga matches, Hamburg certainly needed to do something to shore up the leakiest defence in the league, which is where Rajkovic comes in.
    "I am a central defender who is not scared of going in for tackles," he added.
    "I have only just arrived here so I don't want to make any promises, but what I can promise is that I will always do my best and always give 100% for the team."
    Rajkovic links up with Eljero Elia, a team-mate from his Twente days, and a quartet of former Chelsea players - Gokhan Tore, Michael Mancienne, Jacopo Sala and Jeffrey Bruma - signed by the Bundesliga club this summer, under the auspices of their new director of sport Frank Arnesen.
    Arnesen joined Hamburg in the summer after six years with Chelsea and he has used his links with the academy of his former club to account for five of the club's six new arrivals this summer.

Uploads

De Rossi: Admired by Mancini
    MANCINI ADMITS DE ROSSI INTEREST

Roberto Mancini has declared that midfielder Daniele De Rossi would be "absolutely perfect" for Manchester City.
    De Rossi is under contract with Roma for one more year but the Italian club announced earlier this week they were hopeful of agreeing an extension in the next few days.
    Mancini admits there is a good chance the 28-year-old will remain at the Stadio Olimpico but has made no secret of his admiration for the player, saying he would still like to sign another midfielder despite the imminent arrival of Samir Nasri.
    "I need something else in midfield because we have limited options," said Mancini in The Sun.
    "I have Barry, De Jong, Milner and Toure - but if you consider the number of games in the league, the Champions League and the FA Cup that is not enough.
    "Daniele De Rossi would be absolutely perfect for this team and I rate him as one of the best midfielders in the world.
    "But I also have the suspicion that he will stay in Rome his entire career, just like Francesco Totti has done."
    Gareth Barry, meanwhile, has hailed Nasri as a 'fantastic player' whose arrival at Manchester City will help them win trophies.
    Nasri is set to complete a move to the Etihad Stadium from Arsenal on Wednesday after a deal was agreed between the clubs and Barry is excited about the quality he will bring to the squad.
    Mancini already has a wealth of options available to him but Barry knows they still have to improve if they are to build on last season's FA Cup success and challenge for silverware on a more regular basis.
    "It's great. If you are going to win trophies you need fantastic players and he is another of them," Barry said of Nasri.
    "Anyone of that quality who comes into our squad is going to help us."
    Barry added: "I've not known anything like it before - maybe you could talk about the England squad, where it's full of great players and you find it tough to get your place.
    "It's going to be one of those seasons at club level now.
    "We just hope we can go far in all competitions.
    "We might have to be patient sometimes if you're asked to miss out on certain games. We all realise we're not going to be able to play every game."

Uploads

Sonko: Set to join Ipswich on a free transfer
    SONKO SET FOR IPSWICH DEAL

Ipswich Town are reportedly set to sign former Reading defender Ibrahima Sonko on a free transfer.
    Sonko has been looking for a new club since leaving Stoke City at the end of last season and he rejected a move to Greek side PAOK earlier in the summer.
    He had been training with his old side Reading in pre-season, but Royals boss Brian McDermott revealed the centre-half turned down the club's contract offer.
    The 30-year-old now looks poised to join the Royals' Championship rivals Ipswich after playing for the reserves in a behind-closed-doors game on Tuesday.
    Ipswich boss Paul Jewell is anxious to improve his defensive options and is ready to add Sonko to his Portman Road squad.
    Jewell is also in the market for a Premier League centre-half, and has been linked with West Brom's Pablo Ibanez and Aston Villa's Shane Lowry.

Uploads

Bullard: Wanted by Ipswich
    JIMMY BULLARD SET FOR IPSWICH

Sportinglife.com understands Jimmy Bullard is set to have a medical at Ipswich as he nears a return to Portman Road.
    The 32-year-old midfielder is now a free agent after Hull City started the process of terminating his contract at the KC Stadium, which still had two years left to run.
    Wolves and QPR have also been strongly linked with the former Fulham and Wigan playmaker, while Blackburn boss Steve Kean also admitted he would be interested in signing him.
    But Bullard is now seemingly keen on joining Ipswich, where he impressed on loan during the second half of last season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast