Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 25-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-08-11

Nasri: Loves the passionate fans
    NASRI: CITY FANS MORE PASSIONATE

Samir Nasri is looking forward to playing for Manchester City's "passionate" fans.
    The 24-year-old France international claims to have already been struck by an enthusiasm from supporters he did not experience at Arsenal.
    Nasri yesterday completed his protracted move from the Gunners to City by signing a four-year contract at the Etihad Stadium.
    "I can see they are really passionate and it reminds me a little bit of Marseille," Nasri told City TV after posing for photographs at Eastlands.
    "Arsenal have good fans but not that passionate since they moved from Highbury to the Emirates (Stadium).
    "I remember when we played against City, when we lost 3-0, the crowd was amazing.
    "That is what I want. When you play football it is for a good atmosphere."
    Nasri was entering the final year of his Arsenal contract and the Gunners reluctantly decided to cash in after the former Marseille player made clear his desire to leave.
    City appear to have spent most of the summer pursuing the deal and the player himself is pleased his future is now settled.
    He added: "It is a big relief, it was a long negotiation and discussion between the two clubs.
    "Finally I am a City player and that is what I wanted since the start, so I am really happy.
    "I was a little bit frustrated, I said to the manager I wanted to leave.
    "I wanted to do the pre-season with Manchester so I could know a little bit more about my team-mates.
    "It was frustrating but it is a new start and I am looking forward to doing it."
    Nasri, who scored 15 goals last season, could now make his City debut in this Sunday's Barclays Premier League encounter at Tottenham.
    He is City's fourth major signing of the summer transfer window following the club record 38million purchase of Sergio Aguero and the arrivals of defenders Stefan Savic and Gael Clichy.
    Manager Roberto Mancini said: "He's a fantastic player because he has technique, he has mentality.
    "I knew him when he played for Marseille, I followed him when I was at Inter and we wanted to take him five years ago.
    "But I think in the last three years in the Premier League he's improved a lot. Now I think he's a top player."
    Arsenal had been reluctant to part company with one of their prized assets - particularly so soon after losing former captain Cesc Fabregas - but Nasri's determination to leave appears to have forced their hand.
    The London club at least seem to have made a profit on the player they signed from his hometown Marseille for 15.8million in 2008.
    A fee has not been disclosed but it is believed to be around the 24million mark.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-08-11

Van Persie: Wants Arsenal to boost squad
    RVP KNOWS GUNNERS NEED NEW FACES

Arsenal captain Robin van Persie believes it is "vital" the club strengthen before the close of the transfer window this month.
    The Gunners are now assured of Champions League football this season following Wednesday's 3-1 aggregate success over Italian outfit Udinese.
    They have lost key duo Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri this summer and Van Persie knows it will be hard to soldier on without them.
    However, Van Persie praised his team-mates after Wednesday's 2-1 win over Udinese.
    The Dutchman believes the future is bright for the club with the likes of Carl Jenkinson, Emmanuel Frimpong and Wojciech Szczesny, who saved a penalty, all performing with distinction.
    "It's vital for Arsenal," he told Sky Sports. "Of course we did lose Samir and Cesc which is very hard for us because those are two great players.
    "To come up with that performance in the second half is special. If you look at our team and people did question our mental strength. We've shown loads of that.
    "Carl Jenkinson for example, I think it was his best game so far.
    "We played really well. Szczesny is on fire. He saves almost everything
    "Frimpong is doing well. I'm just happy that we're in it and let's go from there."

Uploads

Barton: Could join QPR
    JOEY BARTON ON BRINK OF QPR MOVE

Newcastle look set to head to Scunthorpe in the Carling Cup tonight without Joey Barton after the midfielder underwent a medical at QPR last night.
    Barton travelled to London earlier in the day for talks after the Loftus Road club was given permission to speak to the 28-year-old, still available on a free transfer after falling out with the Newcastle hierarchy earlier this summer.
    The midfielder continues to state he wishes to remain at Newcastle, but
    with only one year left on his contract and no new deal forthcoming, he believes he is being forced out.
    "Going for a medical now, still no contract offer from NUFC.......think that just about makes my mind up," Barton wrote on his Twitter account.
    "Don't want to leave Newcastle........I've made that clear but my hands are tied."
    Barton has played a key role in United's first two games of the season despite effectively being a free agent after being told he could leave the club for nothing following an outburst against their transfer policies on Twitter.
    Despite being relegation favourites following their promotion in May, last week's takeover by tycoon Tony Fernandes has given the Hoops a fresh impetus and appeal and Barton could buy into it.
    He could, though, stick to his previous claims he would only leave Newcastle for Champions League football.
    Press Association Sport understands the next move in the saga will come from QPR or Barton via his much-publicised Twitter account, with Newcastle and manager Alan Pardew waiting to see what unfolds.
    Pardew was never going to pick Barton at Scunthorpe anyway, with a minor foot problem set to keep him out of action until Sunday's clash with Fulham - a game he may now miss anyway.
    On the field, Pardew and his players have enjoyed a fine start to the Barclays Premier League campaign, holding Arsenal to a draw on opening weekend and then leaving the Stadium of Light, the home of arch rivals Sunderland, with a 1-0 victory safely tucked under their belts last Saturday.
    However, Ryan Taylor's fine free-kick on Wearside remains their only goal to date, and while they have kept two clean sheets in the process, Pardew is keen to add a greater attacking threat to dogged defence - starting tonight.
    He said: "We pride ourselves on some of the defensive work we do here. Last year when I was here, we were really tight and I was pleased with that.
    "But of course, it's only a platform to attack and the attacking side of our game needs to improve. We need to threaten the goal more than we have in the last two Premier League games.
    "But our defensive display has been very, very good and hopefully we will take that to Scunthorpe."

Uploads

Modric: Could face Hearts
    REDKNAPP READY TO PLAY MODRIC

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is ready to strike a big blow to Luka Modric's hopes of joining Chelsea by fielding the wantaway playmaker in tonight's Europa League play-off clash against Hearts.
    Modric has not played a competitive match for Tottenham since Chelsea launched the first of three bids for the player in the middle of June.
    The 25-year-old has been diagnosed with minor ankle, groin and hamstring injuries over the last few weeks and also refused to play in Monday's 3-0 defeat at Manchester United as he thought he was not focused enough.
    Redknapp is growing tired of the speculation surrounding Modric and wants to see him turning out for Spurs soon.
    Should he overcome his minor hamstring injury, Redknapp would have no qualms in throwing him into an otherwise inexperienced team to play Hearts tonight in the club's Europa League play-off second leg.
    That would mean Modric would be ineligible to play in the Champions League until February - a move which could severely diminish Chelsea's desire to land the star given the importance they give the competition.
    Redknapp, however, sees Modric as a Spurs player and will select him if he is fit.
    "I don't know if he will be fit but if he is okay I would be looking to give him an hour. If he is fit he will play," Redknapp said.
    When pushed on the effect that could have on Modric's move to Stamford Bridge, Redknapp retorted: "We are not in the Champions League so it won't affect us.
    "I'm not bothered about anyone else. He is here, we love him, he is a great player and I need him back playing."
    Redknapp revealed yesterday that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy had contacted the Blues to tell them to put an end to their pursuit of Modric.
    He said: "The chairman made another statement last night that he is definitely not going.
    "He said he spoke to Chelsea and he told them, 'Let's put an end to this because it's not going to happen'."
    Redknapp was also keen yesterday to stress that Spurs will bring in at least two more players before the transfer window shuts next week.
    Emmanuel Adebayor could complete his loan from Manchester City before the start of next week.
    Spurs fans chanted insulting songs at the former Arsenal man when he scored two goals against the White Hart Lane club for Real Madrid last year.
    Redknapp admits the Spurs faithful must not let Adebayor's former club be an issue if he signs.
    "If he comes here he is coming here because he wants to," Redknapp said.
    "He could sit and take the money at Man City but he is taking a wage drop to come here.
    "It takes nerve. Patrick Vieira wanted to come to Tottenham. I thought it was amazing because he was a far bigger legend than Adebayor at Arsenal.
    "He just wants to play football. He hasn't committed a crime. He hasn't murdered anyone. He has played for Arsenal, then Man City and now he wants to come to Tottenham.
    "That doesn't make you a bad person. I can't understand it really."

Uploads

Juan Mata: New Chelsea signing
    MATA KEEN TO PLAY FOR VILLAS-BOAS

New Chelsea signing Juan Mata admits manager Andre Villas-Boas' attacking philosophy helped persuade him to move to Stamford Bridge.
    The 23-year-old on Wednesday ended months of speculation linking him with a move away from Valencia by penning a five-year deal with the west Londoners.
    Mata has been linked with a host of elite European clubs this summer but insists there was no competition when Chelsea made their intentions clear.
    "[Villas-Boas] said he wanted Chelsea this season to play more attacking football, and that I would be a big part of that," he told the club's official website, www.chelseafc.com.
    "Villas-Boas is someone who won almost everything last year and we are both here with the idea of winning lots this season.
    "The plan is that I can play on either flank or even in the middle playing in between the lines of midfield and attack.
    "I like to keep the ball and use it well, I am an attacking player and above all I like to set up goals and score them also.
    "I want to adapt as quickly as possible to my new surroundings, my colleagues and this league, and I would love to win a trophy in my first season.
    "If it can be the Premier League then great."
    Mata becomes Villas-Boas' fourth summer signing, following the arrivals of Oriol Romeu, Romelu Lukaku and Thibaut Courtois.
    Mata could make his debut in Saturday's clash with Norwich and moves to Stamford Bridge for a reported fee of 23.5million.
    "Right from the first moment there have been good feelings all around me," he said.
    "Training has been great and the players are a great group to train with.
    "Valencia was a big club anyway but I have left to join a bigger club and it is all about the opportunity to win trophies and I have that here."
    Mata becomes the third Spaniard at the Blues, linking up with the aforementioned Romeu and fellow Spain international Fernando Torres.
    "Fernando got me excited about the thought of coming here," Mata said.
    "He said it would be good for me here and that me and him together could be good.
    "I also talked to my family and friends about it as well."
    The former Real Madrid winger's father, also named Juan Mata, played professionally for Burgos and Salamanca, leading the player to add: "This is obviously a big thing for me, to have a father who knows football.
    "He has always given me good advice and I never had a problem because he was there to help.
    "Despite there being football in my family, I always wanted to have skills other than football so I studied while I was in Madrid.
    "It wasn't easy but I wanted to do it, and I learned about marketing and sports science."

Uploads

Cisse: Set deadline to leave.
    I WANT TO LEAVE FREIBURG - CISSE

Freiburg striker Papiss Demba Cisse has announced his intention to leave the club within seven days, with his club confirming on Wednesday that they are considering three offers for the Senegal international.
    Cisse, who was the Bundesliga's second highest scorer last season with 22 goals, has attracted interest from clubs in England and Russia and now seems set to leave Germany before next week's transfer deadline.
    "I want to leave," he told local SWR radio. "I hope that this happens before August 31.
    "Yes, I still have a contract, but I really want to prove myself at a different level."
    Freiburg are demanding 15 million euros for the forward and their director of sport Dirk Dufner has revealed that "three offers are on the table".
    "We are now going to take a close look at them," he told Germany's Sport1 television.
    Cisse has already found the net four times this season, although his club are still searching for their first win of the campaign after one draw and two defeats.

Uploads

Eric Mouloungui: Going nowhere
    NO WEST HAM MOVE FOR MOULOUNGUI

Eric Mouloungui has opted against a move to West Ham in favour of staying with current club Nice.
    The 27-year-old, who is out of contract next summer, was due to undergo a medical this week.
    Spanish side Real Sociedad are also reportedly interested, however, he could well now extend his stay at Nice beyond 2012.
    Mouloungui considered leaving the club before telling chairman Maurice Cohen that he was happy and wanted to stay.
    "Indeed, I thought about a departure, but finally I told the chairman I want to stay," he told Nice Matin.
    "I feel fine here. There is really a great relationship between the team-mates and the staff. I can feel trust toward me."

Uploads

Joey Barton: QPR transfer target
    WARNOCK: BARTON DEAL NOT DONE YET

QPR manager Neil Warnock has rejected the notion that the signing of midfielder Joey Barton from Newcastle is a "done deal" but would like to complete the signing this afternoon.
    The 28-year-old is in the final year of his contract at St James' Park and was recently made available for a free transfer after criticising the club's recruitment policy via his Twitter account.
    It emerged on Wednesday that Barton was in talks with QPR and in the evening the midfielder tweeted that he was having a medical at the club.
    But while the deal seems to be progressing nicely, Warnock refuted talk that anything has been completed.
    "I don't think you can say that about any deal really until people sign," he said.
    "I am not getting my hopes up one way or another. We've made him a very good offer and I think Joey appreciates that.
    "Although I hope Joey doesn't think we're going to pay him what some of the papers said we were going to pay him this morning.
    "I think you always want to get them completed as soon as possible.
    "I would like to bring in a couple before the weekend and that is what I am going to try and do."
    QPR will receive the results of Barton's medical on Thursday morning and the player will see the club doctor at some point during the day.
    Warnock is hoping their are no snags in the deal so that Barton can feature in Saturday's clash at Wigan.
    "I think we're lucky to be looking at a player like that," he said.
    "It shows how ambitious the chairman (Tony Fernandes) is. He listened to the players I would like to bring in and Joey was one of them.
    "We've just got down the line and we hope to bring in another four or five before next Wednesday night."
    He added: "Joey will be an outstanding player week in, week out.
    "He is a super player and I've always like him. He knows that.
    "I tried to sign him a couple of times, once at Sheffield United."
    Earlier in the morning, Barton's agent Willie McKay confirmed Warnock's long-standing admiration for Barton and said he had been attempting to sign him since the club won the npower Championship.
    "After Queens Park Rangers got promoted Neil Warnock called me and asked me the situation with Joey and of course, when Joey was rewarded with a free transfer by Newcastle he came on right away," McKay told Sky Sports News.
    "Joey spoke to (chief executive) Phil Beard and spoke to (chairman) Tony Fernandes, via phone and liked what he had to say and I am sure there is going to be a few more signings for Queens Park Rangers.
    "Obviously it is a big wrench for Joey [to leave Newcastle] as he loved it up there and obviously he will miss all the supporters and all his team-mates.
    "Time moves on, you just have to move on. Newcastle have got their plans and Joey has got his.
    "Joey is very confident he can do very, very well for Queens Park Rangers I think he is a top signing for them."

Uploads

Lassana Diarra: Not set for Tottenham switch
    DIARRA NOT EXPECTING SPURS SWITCH

Real Madrid midfielder Lassana Diarra insists no agreement has been reached over a transfer to Tottenham - and he does not expect that to change.
    The 26-year-old former Chelsea, Arsenal and Portsmouth player has been linked with a 12million euros (around 10.6m) switch to White Hart Lane to link up with his former Pompey boss Harry Redknapp.
    But he has now poured cold water on such claims, telling AS: "The information about my departure is a lie.
    "There is no agreement with Tottenham and I do not think there will be."
    Speaking at Nice airport, having been given permission by Madrid to travel to see his brother who has just undergone knee surgery, Diarra added: "I have a contract with Real Madrid until 2013 and Jose Mourinho is my coach."
    The France international joined Madrid from Portsmouth for 20million euros (around 17.6m) in January 2009.
    He featured in 26 Primera Division games and 10 Champions League matches for the capital club, and also helped Jose Mourinho's side win the Copa del Rey.

Uploads

Redknapp: Set to sign Falque on loan
    SPURS SET TO SWOOP FOR FALQUE

Tottenham are reportedly poised to sign highly-rated Juventus winger Iago Falque on loan.
    Reports in Spain claim Falque is due in London to undergo a medical before sealing a season-long move to White Hart Lane.
    Juventus have only allowed the loan move to go through after agreeing a new deal with the Spaniard which will see the player contracted to the Italian giants until 2014.
    Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was keen on signing the Spain Under-21 international on a permanent basis, but Juve were not willing to sell .
    Falque is highly-regarded at Juventus, but the 21-year-old is well down the pecking order at the Turin club and he spent last season on loan at Villarreal B.
    A number of Spanish clubs including Rayo Vallecano, Celta Vigo and Levante all expressed an interest in signing Falque this summer, but the player has decided to move to Tottenham.
    Falque's father has confirmed his son is relishing the challenge of joining Spurs for the 2011/12 season.
    "Iago loves big challenges and this with Spurs is very important," said Falque Snr.
    "It will be hard, but he will fight for his place."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast