Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-08-11

Grygera: Looking to complete Fulham move
    GRYGERA SET FOR FULHAM MOVE

Fulham are closing in on the signing of Czech Republic defender Zdenek Grygera from Juventus.
    Juventus are willing to offload Grygera as he does not figure in Antonio Conte's long-term plans in Turin.
    Fulham have moved quickly to land the versatile Grygera with the 31-year-old able to play anywhere across the back.
    Grygera is expected to undergo a medical in London this weekend and the former Ajax man is excited about making the move to Craven Cottage.
    "Hopefully it will come out well. I take Fulham as a big call and will experience another top league," Grygera told CTK.
    "The Premier League is probably the most followed competition at the moment and I am tempted by the prospect of being a part of it.
    "This spell can teach me a lot as a footballer as well as a human being.
    "I will come to know a different mentality and learn another language. The same goes for all my family.
    "It is not easy for me to be leaving Juventus. Juventus is Juventus and, moreover, I have come to love Italy.
    "But the situation there has developed in recent weeks that I would hardly make it into the nomination of 18 or 20 players.
    "I have decided to leave and Fulham are an excellent option."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-08-11

Parker: Set to complete Spurs move
    SPURS CLOSE ON SCOTT PARKER DEAL

Tottenham are poised to wrap up the signing of England midfielder Scott Parker.
    The 30-year-old was not included in the West Ham squad which travelled to Nottingham Forest as the deal, believed to be worth 6million, neared a conclusion.
    Hammers boss Sam Allardyce told Sky Sports: "There are some negotiations going on and I don't think he would be mentally right to play.
    "It will come to fruition in the next 24 hours or so."
    Tottenham are expected to include a loan deal for one of their youngsters in the package.
    Parker, who joined the Hammers from Newcastle for 7million in 2007, was named Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year last season despite the club finishing bottom of the Premier League.

Uploads

Ferguson: No plans to sell Berbatov
    FERGIE RULES OUT BERBATOV EXIT

Manchester United bos Sir Alex Ferguson has ruled out selling Dimitar Berbatov, hailed the striker's attitude after falling down the pecking order at Old Trafford.
    The Bulgarian, United's top scorer last season, has fallen to fourth choice striker behind Wayne Rooney, Javier Hernandez and now Danny Welbeck.
    Berbatov has been on the bench for each of United's three games this term, prompting renewed speculation his United career could be coming to an end.
    However, manager Ferguson insists Berbatov still has a big part to play in his plans and has praised the 30-year-old for his patience.
    "Dimitar has never complained one bit," Ferguson told The People.
    "A lot of strikers want to play all the time, but Berbatov has handled the situation well and hasn't annoyed other players.
    "We've had a few phone calls, but he's staying here - we're not selling.
    "Berbatov has been brilliant and handled the whole situation terrifically he has not complained one bit.
    "There was no more disappointed man that night (Champions League final) than Dimitar, there's no question about that.
    "I made a decision that I didn't want to make, putting Michael Owen on the bench, but I felt it was a positive one."
    Berbatov will once again be on the bench when United welcome Arsenal to Old Trafford on Sunday, and the 2008 signing from Tottenham may have to wait until the group stages of the Champions League to earn his first start.
    Ferguson said: "He is a quiet lad, but popular in the dressing room, and he is very determined. I have told him he still has a big part to play this season.
    "But it will not be at the moment because the time and space between games has been good.
    "We have an international break soon and then the Champions League starts then Berbatov will be involved."

Uploads

McCall: Happy with start to the season
    McCALL HOPES TO KEEP SQUAD TOGETHER

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall is hoping to get past the transfer deadline with his squad intact as he looks to continue their excellent start to the Clydesdale Bank Premier League season, which continued with a 4-2 victory at Dunfermline.
    Jamie Murphy and Chris Humphrey were on target as Motherwell cruised to a 3-0 lead before the hour mark, before two deflected strikes gave Dunfermline brief hope.
    The attacking pair are the most likely to attract interest but McCall is looking to add to his squad rather than see it depleted before Wednesday.
    Former Bradford winger Omar Daley is awaiting a visa in order to join up with Motherwell in the coming days.
    McCall, whose side topped the table on Saturday night after bouncing back from their defeat by Rangers, said: "We've had no enquiries.
    "You never know what's in the wings but I would be hopeful we would have the same group to Christmas anyway and it gives us a little chance, not to solidify where we are because we are never going to be top of the league, but to keep our good run going and hopefully keep us in the top six.
    "That's what our aim was at the beginning of the season, we have got to keep on getting results to keep us up there.
    "Top of the league is nice for supporters and the players might get a little more bonus money, but it was just an important win for us because we have got Dunfermline squeezed between the Old Firm games.
    "We go to Parkhead and that is obviously a very, very difficult place to get anything so it was important that we got something and, being three points, I'm delighted."
    McCall was also happy to see Michael Higdon claim two goals after getting off the mark in the 4-0 Scottish Communities League Cup win at Clyde.
    Higdon curled home an 11th-minute opener after a well-worked move and tapped home Nicky Law's cross to complete the scoring in the last minute.
    "I said after the St Mirren game that the front three weren't firing but when we looked back at the tape, Michael has had two really good efforts, the keeper has made saves," McCall said.
    "He has been effective, he has set up a couple of people. Just because he hasn't scored, he was still contributing to the team.
    "We decided to play him against Clyde to hopefully get a goal and it would kick him on. Thankfully that seems to have worked.
    "I'm really pleased for him, that's what we brought him here for."
    Motherwell were completely dominant in the first half, with Murphy's deflected strike putting them two ahead in the 26th minute.
    Humphrey added an impressive solo effort in the 55th minute and McCall admitted his team became sloppy as the Pars forced their way back in the game.
    But the home side benefited from some luck when Joe Cardle inadvertently diverted David Graham's long-range strike past Darren Randolph in the 69th minute, before netting a deflected effort himself on an 88th-minute break.
    Dunfermline boss Jim McIntyre admitted his team got a "chasing" in the first half but was able to look at the bigger picture after his side's unbeaten start to the SPL season came to an end.
    "We have done exceptionally well in the first four games but that doesn't mean to say it's going to happen every week," McIntyre said.
    "The players have been magnificent so far and we will have days like this. It's just important we bounce back when we do."
    McIntyre has added to his squad with the capture of former Dundee United midfielder Craig Easton.
    "We feel we need another midfielder and Craig fit the bill," he said. "He has great energy, gets up and down the park and he has a goal in him.
    "He will complement the good players we have. One performance doesn't make us a bad side.
    "Let's remember it's a very good Motherwell side who got to the cup final last season. We will not be despondent."

Uploads

Ballack: Linked with Wolfsburg
    VOLLER WOULD LET BALLACK LEAVE

Bayer Leverkusen director of sport Rudi Voller says he will not stand in the way of Michael Ballack should he wish to leave the club.
    Ballack is being linked with a move to Wolfsburg after spending another 90 minutes on the bench on Saturday and Voller says Ballack is not being held in Leverkusen against his will.
    "Should he come to us, then of course we would be willing to talk to him, given our personal relationship," said Voller to Sport1 television.
    "We would then sit down and find a satisfactory solution."
    However, a satisfactory solution does not necessarily mean a severing of ties, even if the former Germany captain is unlikely to be happy spending most of his time on the bench in Leverkusen.
    Voller still believes Ballack's time will come, especially in such a long season with the Champions League and the Bundesliga filling the agenda.
    "There are just players who are a bit stronger at the moment," said Voller.
    "He will just have to be patient."
    The 34-year-old still has a year left on his contract with Leverkusen, for whom he has made just 18 appearances since arriving from Chelsea over a year ago.

Uploads

Davila: Signed five-year contract
    CHELSEA SWOOP FOR YOUNG MEXICAN

Chelsea have announced the signing of Mexico Under-20 midfielder Ulises Davila from Chivas Guadalajara.
    The Blues have already recruited youngsters Oriol Romeu, Romelu Lukaku and Thibaut Courtois this summer, and they have followed that with the capture of 20-year-old Davila.
    The diminutive Mexican has signed a five-year contract with the Stamford Bridge club.
    Blues technical director Michael Emenalo told the club's website: "Ulises has been a highly-scouted player by a lot of clubs, and has made great progress in the last couple of tournaments we have seen him play in.
    "We are delighted to have been able to get this deal done.
    "Chivas is a superb club with a strong reputation in player development and world football, and we are confident Ulises will be able to continue his fast development to become an important Chelsea first-team player."

Uploads

Cahill: Coyle says he will only leave for the right price
    COYLE STANDS FIRM ON CAHILL

Owen Coyle is confident Gary Cahill is capable of playing for Arsenal, but is adamant he will only be sold if it is the 'right business' for Bolton Wanderers.
    Cahill has been the subject of a failed bid from Arsenal as Arsene Wenger seeks to reinvest some of the money raised by the summer sales of the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri.
    Bolton boss Coyle said the reported 6m-7million bid could not even be described as 'derisory', although Wenger subsequently insisted he had offered more than that figure.
    England international Cahill is keen to play at the highest level and is in the final season of his contract at the Reebok Stadium.
    Coyle is prepared to grant the centre-half's wish of a move to a bigger stage, but only once Bolton's valuation of the 25-year-old is met.
    "Gary's representatives had been made aware there had been a so-called offer, but given the amount that was talked about I don't call that an offer," said Coyle.
    "If I make an offer for someone I do it in writing so you know exactly where you are with it.
    "It is fair to say the dialogue was nowhere near what the football club would even consider for Gary Cahill to leave Bolton Wanderers.
    "I am very respectful of Gary's wishes in this as well.
    "I totally understand he wants to play at the highest level and Arsenal are an elite club, a club I think he would probably slot into with tremendous style because he is such an accomplished player.
    "He is more than capable of playing in a team of that stature. But it has to be done at the right business for Bolton Wanderers Football Club.
    "It was way, way short and I must stress the word way as it was a million miles short of what Gary Cahill's valuation is."

Uploads

Goran Pandev: On loan at Napoli
    PANDEV JOINS NAPOLI ON LOAN

Napoli have signed Goran Pandev on a season-long loan deal from Inter Milan, the Naples club confirmed on Saturday.
    The Macedonian striker becomes Napoli's 14th summer signing.
    Pandev joined Inter from Lazio in January 2010 but failed to earn a regular spot in the Nerazzurri's starting XI.
    "I am very happy to be able to play in the Champions League with a club like Napoli," said Pandev.
    "They are a very important club."
    Napoli, who finished third in Serie A behind AC Milan and Inter Milan last season after mounting an impressive title challenge, were paired with Manchester City, Villarreal and Bayern Munich in Group C of the Champions League.
    Pandev is under contract with Inter until June 2014.

Uploads

Sergio Almiron: Off to Catania
    ALMIRON JOINS CATANIA

Catania have landed Argentina midfielder Sergio Almiron from Juventus for an undisclosed fee, the Sicilian club confirmed on Saturday.
    Almiron made 25 league appearances while on loan at Bari last season.
    The 30-year-old has penned a three-year contract with Catania.
    The South American player becomes Catania's 10th signing this summer.
    Catania, who appointed former Roma boss Vincenzo Montella as their new coach last month, finished 13th in Serie A last term.

Uploads

Wenger: Watched his side lose 8-2.
    ARSENE WENGER: I WILL NOT QUIT ARSENAL

Arsene Wenger admitted he had been left embarrassed by the size of Arsenal's 8-2 defeat against Manchester United but denied he would quit his post despite the mounting pressure.
    During an avalanche of goals, Wayne Rooney surpassed 150 United goals as Ashley Young (two), Danny Welbeck, Nani and Park Ji-sing all got their names on the scoresheet.
    An under-strength Arsenal replied through Theo Walcott and Robin van Persie, but Wenger's biggest Premier League defeat was soured further by the sending off of Carl Jenkinson.
    "You feel humiliated when you concede eight goals," he told Sky Sports 1.
    "It was a terrible day for us, it was a combination of an under-strength team and weakness.
    "We collapsed physically in the second half."
    Asked if he might think about resigning during the upcoming international break, he was initially coy, saying: "I believe we have a break before the next game."
    He then ruled out the possibility, adding: "No, not at all."
    With three days to go before the end of the transfer window Wenger is under pressure to bring in new names, although he was again guarded about the addition of any players.
    "I know that in England when you lose a game signings are always the solution," he added.
    "We had eight players out today. Anybody would suffer with eight players missing."
    United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was surprised by the ease of his side's success despite Arsenal missing so many first-team regulars.
    "It is (a surprise) because when you play Arsenal you expect a difficult game," he said.
    "If you look at Arsenal the team is weakened - but we still did the job.
    "We got careless at times and they made chances because they still have quality up front
    "But overall we are very satisfied that we kept the performance levels up."
    With his counterpart Wenger likely to come in for more criticism this week, Ferguson again leapt to the Frenchman's defence.
    "I think it is unfair to criticise him," he said.
    "The job he's done for Arsenal and the philosophy he has - he has given Arsenal some very entertaining players.
    "He's also sold well and looked after the Arsenal coffers. People forget these things. It's a cynical world now and when you lose a few games the judges come out."
    Rooney said: "The performance today was incredible and we deserved the result.
    "Whether or not Arsenal have a full-strength squad every time we play them we have a go and try score.
    "They had some players out but that should take nothing away from us."
    Rooney's landmark goal also continued a trend against the Gunners.
    "A lot of my milestone goals have come against Arsenal," he added.
    "My first goal when I was at Everton was against them and my first United goal in the Premier League came against them too."
    Also speaking after the game, former Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson suggested the departure of David Dein had been the catalyst for Arsenal's slump.
    The club's former vice-chairman, Dein was a close ally of Wenger's and assisted him in recruiting a number of big-name signings prior to his departure in 2007.
    "They miss David Dein," Merson said. "Since he went out, it's gone down.
    "He was someone to do the signings, someone to talk to. David Dein was part of it when they signed the (Marc) Overmars, (Emmanuel) Petit, (Patrick) Vieira and (Thierry) Henry.
    "Since David Dein went, the players haven't been like that. Arsenal is a saga, haggling over money for players, making it (deals) last three days.
    "Sir Alex Ferguson will be sitting on a beach next week. Wenger will be in his office trying to sign a player."
    Merson also stood by rookie defender Jenkinson, who suffered a nightmare day.
    "One minute he was playing non-league football, today he's playing at Old Trafford...," he added.
    "The poor lad got sent off, he didn't deserve it."
    The former England midfielder did give his backing to Wenger, though, and encouraged him to make strides in the transfer market before the window closes on Wednesday.
    "I would never get rid of Arsene Wenger," he said.
    "They (the fans) have got to remember that if you get what you wish for it doesn't always work.
    "They have got to buy one or two centre-halves, a central midfielder and a centre forward. You win stuff through the middle."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast