Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 31-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 31-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 31-08-11

Per Mertesacker: Expected to sign for Arsenal
    ARSENAL TO SEAL DEFENSIVE DUO DEALS

Arsenal were being linked with further signings on transfer deadline day after swooping for defensive duo Per Mertesacker and Andre Santos.
    The Gunners were expected to formalise the acquisitions of Germany centre-back Mertesacker and Brazil left-back Santos today after both flew into London to undergo medicals.
    The pair's arrival cannot come quickly enough for an Arsenal side who have endured one of their most miserable starts to a season in recent memory.
    Manager Arsene Wenger has been urged by disgruntled fans to splash the cash to get them out of trouble and there is no shortage of money to spend today, even after the reported 8million and 6.2million fees for Mertesacker and Santos are paid to Werder Bremen and Fenerbahce, respectively.
    Wenger yesterday completed the signing of South Korea captain Park Chu-young, who penned what is thought to be a two-year contract.
    Park, who snubbed a move to Lille at the 11th hour after deciding to leave Monaco, will leave the Gunners - possibly temporarily - in 2013 to undertake military service in his homeland.
    But he told Arsenal Player: "I don't feel rushed. I just feel really proud to have two-and-a-half years at Arsenal.
    "They are the last team I will be with before I go back to Korea. I will do my best to show what I can do in the next two-and-a-half years."
    The 26-year-old added: "I'm very honoured and I feel very happy to be at Arsenal. They are a team that I dreamed about when I was young. I got a phone call from my club and they told me that Arsenal were interested in signing me.
    "At first, I didn't believe it and I needed to check that it really was Arsenal."
    Park underwent a medical at Lille before Arsenal moved to gazump the French champions on Saturday.
    "A lot has happened in two days and it feels like a big, big step up," said Park.
    "But that doesn't mean that I won't be able to perform. I will work very hard, I will train very hard, and I will show that I am able to be part of this Arsenal team."
    Park is a cousin of Manchester United star Park Ji-sung, who preceded him as South Korea captain.
    The newcomer said: "I haven't spoken with him but, when I do, I will ask for advice.
    "He has experience in the Premier League, so I will ask how he settled in on and off the pitch."
    Bremen's director of sport Klaus Allofs expects the Mertesacker switch to be finalised without a hitch.
    "Everything has been agreed between Werder and Arsenal," he told Germany's dpa agency. "There are just a few things that are missing before we can announce the transfer as complete."
    That should now take place at a press conference in the German city, although Mertesacker's presence in Bremen is unlikely.
    He is back with the Germany national team in Dusseldorf preparing for Friday's Euro 2012 qualifier with Austria and cannot expect to be given any more free time.
    "Per asked me if he could have the day off because he had an offer," revealed Germany coach Joachim Low yesterday. "I expect him back this evening."
    And when Germany take to the field on Friday night, Mertesacker's official club allegiance should read Arsenal - much to the disappointment of his Bremen team-mates.
    "I am sad," said his central defensive partner Naldo. "I have played four years with him, but Arsenal is a top club."
    Mertesacker will not leave Germany for long, though, since one of his first games as an Arsenal player will take him to Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League in a fortnight's time.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 31-08-11

Pereira: Chelsea in talks with Porto for the Uruguayan
    CHELSEA IN TALKS FOR ALVARO PEREIRA

Alvaro Pereira's agent has confirmed Porto and Chelsea are in discussions over a big-money deadline day transfer, although nothing has been agreed.
    Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas knows all about the Uruguay international from his time at Estadio do Dragao and wants to be reunited with the 25-year-old prior to the transfer window closing.
    Chelsea have already seen one bid rejected and the Stamford Bridge outfit and hopeful of avoiding having to pay the lofty 30million (26m) required to activate Pereira's release clause.
    The former CFR Cluj and Argentinos Juniors man is now waiting to hear whether a fee can be agreed and his agent Alejandro Savich is currently in England on stand-by hoping to seal a deal.
    The likes of Barcelona, AC Milan and Inter Milan have also been mentioned as possible suitors, however, Pereira's lack of an EU passport means he is unlikely to join those European giants.
    "I know that the clubs are talking. This is a positive sign. What I know from Chelsea is that they are trying. One can only hope," Savich told Maisfutebol.
    "It's a lie to suggest he has ever refused to play for FC Porto or taken some action. You know that Alvaro always gave everything. He's played more than one hundred games. This cannot be questioned.
    "Right now, Alvaro Pereira is waiting while the clubs talk. We have not spoken with Chelsea because I'm not allowed to do so. It is essential Porto and Chelsea reach an agreement first.
    "Alvaro has enough international appearances for Uruguay to play in England. But the fact that he doesn't have an EU passport compromises the interest of Barcelona, AC Milan and Inter Milan."
    Porto were interested in signing Blues' new signing Romeu Lukaku on loan, but the Belgian striker cannot play for a third club this season having already featured for Anderlecht.

Uploads

Wright-Phillips: Set for return to London
    QPR CLOSE ON SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS

Queens Park Rangers are reportedly closing on the signing of Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.
    A host of clubs have been looking at the England international, who is only on the fringes of the first-team squad at the Etihad Stadium.
    Wright-Phillips had held talks with a number of clubs and Bolton had seem favourites to land his signature.
    But QPR have been looking to finalise a permanent deal for the 29-year-old and they look to have won the race.
    Former Chelsea man Wright-Phillips is set to complete a move back to London on Wednesday, ahead of the transfer window closing.

Uploads

Jerome: Set for Stoke talks
    STOKE AGREE CAMERON JEROME DEAL

Birmingham have reportedly agreed terms with Stoke over striker Cameron Jerome.
    A host of clubs have been chasing Jerome this summer, with Stoke and Bolton heading the queue.
    Now Stoke have agreed terms with Birmingham, and they hope to conclude a deal on Wednesday.
    Stoke boss Tony Pulis is known to be in the market for two strikers, and as well as Jerome - he remains interested in Tottenham's Peter Crouch and Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner.

Uploads

Davide Santon: Signed for Newcastle
    SANTON ATTRACTED BY PREMIER LEAGUE

Newcastle new boy Davide Santon has admitted the opportunity to play in front of packed houses at St James' Park was one he could not resist.
    The 20-year-old completed his move from Inter Milan to Tyneside for an undisclosed fee last night when he signed a five-year deal.
    He will take over the number three shirt vacated by Jose Enrique after he left for Liverpool earlier this month, and his recruitment ends manager Alan Pardew's search for a left-back.
    Santon said: "I am really pleased to sign for Newcastle. The chance to play in the Premier League and in front of 50,000 fans at St James' Park was too good to turn down.
    "This is an ambitious club who want to move forward and I want to help them achieve that."
    Newcastle finally landed Santon after a prolonged sortie into Europe which saw them enter negotiations for both PSV Eindhoven's Erik Pieters and Lyon's Aly Cissokho before deciding to take the plunge with the young Italian.
    Pardew was relieved to have made a breakthrough with a little more than 24 hours of the summer transfer window still to run.
    He said: "We are delighted to bring Davide to Newcastle.
    "He is a quality left-back and an established international who also gives us flexibility in defence.
    "Davide is a young lad and a great signing for us and I am sure he will adapt to the Premier League very quickly."
    Pardew will hope Santon is not the final arrival before tonight's 11pm deadline with a striker still very much in his sights, and the Magpies boss admitted in the wake of Sunday's 2-1 Barclays Premier League victory over Fulham that he would ideally like to replace departed midfielder Joey Barton and add cover in central defence.
    A frontman, however, is the main priority and it is understood that Newcastle are still in the hunt for Sochaux's Modibo Maiga after re-establishing contact with the French club.
    The 24-year-old Mali international, like Santon, fits the profile of player the Mike Ashley regime is hoping to attract - young, talented and with a potential sell-on value.
    Managing director Derek Llambias confirmed that ongoing policy in welcoming Santon to Tyneside.
    He said: "The signing of Davide Santon is a real coup for this club.
    "It confirms our commitment to bringing quality players whose best years are ahead of them to St James' Park."
    Newcastle last night also snapped up Charlton goalkeeper Rob Elliot. The 24-year-old joined for an undisclosed fee and signed a five-year deal.

Uploads

Bogdanovic: Striker having medical at Blackpool
    BLADES STRIKER SET FOR BLACKPOOL

Blackpool are reportedly in talks to sign Sheffield United striker Daniel Bogdanovic.
    The Blades have been resigned to losing their number of their top stars following their relegation last season and Bogdanovic is set to be on the way out before the transfer deadline.
    Bogdanovic only moved to Bramall Lane last summer from Barnsley, but the striker struggled to hold down a regular place in the side.
    Blackpool boss Ian Holloway is in the market for a new striker and they have targeted a move for Malta international Bogdanovic.
    The two clubs are believed to have agreed a fee for Bogdanovic and the player is thought to be undergoing a medical at Bloomfield Road ahead of the proposed move.

Uploads

Coates: Liverpool move
    LIVERPOOL COMPLETE COATES DEAL

Liverpool new boy Sebastian Coates has revealed that the Reds' Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez played a pivotal role in helping him decide to move to Anfield.
    The 20-year-old Uruguay defender, who completed a transfer from Montevideo club Nacional to Liverpool on Tuesday night, was convinced by his compatriot that a move to Merseyside was the best option for his career.
    He told www.liverpoolfc.tv: "Luis told me a lot about Liverpool - but about the fans more than anything else.
    "I saw that myself on Saturday when the fans really got behind their side against Bolton and that was great to see.
    "Luis also told me about the history and the tradition of the club and now I feel very happy and excited to be here because I have left one great club in Nacional and signed for another great club with a fantastic history.
    "To come to such a big club alongside a fellow countryman is very important for me. I know Luis will help me settle in, we have the same cultures and customs so having him around will help me a lot."
    The capture of Coates was the main headline on another busy day for Liverpool, with more activity looking likely before the summer transfer window closes at 11pm on Wednesday night.
    Denmark midfielder Christian Poulsen, signed by Roy Hodgson last summer, looks set to join French club Evian after the clubs agreed a fee.
    All-action Portuguese midfielder Raul Meireles has been linked with a move to Chelsea, while it has been reported that Joe Cole could be heading to French champions Lille on loan for the rest of the season.

Uploads

Mikel Arteta: Linked with Arsenal switch
    GUNNERS LINKED WITH ARTETA SWOOP

Arsenal were tonight being linked with a last-gasp move for Mikel Arteta in the final hours of transfer deadline day.
    Reports suggested the Gunners had made a bid for the Everton midfielder, with some suggesting a cash-plus-player offer had been tabled.
    But Arsenal faced a race against time to reach an agreement as they looked to bolster a midfield recently shorn of both Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri.

Uploads

Craig Bellamy: Could join Liverpool
    REPORT: LIVERPOOL TALKS FOR BELLAMY

Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy flew into Liverpool earlier today ahead of a potential deadline day move to rejoin his former club.
    Press Association Sport understands the 32-year-old was given special dispensation to leave Wales' training camp at Celtic Manor to head off for talks with the Reds.
    It is believed Bellamy took a flight from south Wales to Merseyside where it is anticipated he will undergo a medical while Liverpool and City thrash out the terms of any deal.
    Bellamy left Anfield in 2007 after just 12 months in a Red shirt - having scored nine goals in 42 matches - but is poised for a surprise return if an agreement can be reached in time.
    The Wales international has a year left on his contract with City, where he has been a virtual outcast since Roberto Mancini took over in December 2009, and although the club are keen to get him off the payroll the financial deal has to be right for them to allow him to leave.

Uploads

Parker: Seals Premier League return
    SCOTT PARKER COMPLETES SPURS MOVE

Tottenham have completed the signing of Scott Parker from West Ham.
    The England midfielder on Tuesday handed in a formal transfer request, and the deal, believed to be worth 6million, was completed this afternoon.
    A statement on Tottenham's official club website, www.spurs.co.uk, read: "We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with West Ham United for the permanent transfer of Scott Parker."
    Parker, 30, had been a long-term target for Spurs manager Harry Redknapp, the former Charlton youngster having been voted Footballer of the Year for his efforts to keep West Ham up last season.
    Redknapp said of Parker: "He's a good player. I think he's what we need. He's a good lad, great attitude.
    "Footballer of the year last year and he'll be a good addition for this team - no doubt about that.
    "He's a good character, a fantastic person, a proper family man, a real good pro. He'll be great around the place for us."
    Redknapp expected his chairman Daniel Levy to be "busy on the phone all day" as the club also upped their interest in Bolton centre-back Gary Cahill.
    However, Redknapp maintained there was no chance of Croatia playmaker Luka Modric - a target for Chelsea - leaving before the deadline passes at 11pm on Wednesday night.
    But Peter Crouch could be among the players out of White Hart Lane, with Redknapp confirming QPR as well as Sunderland are keen on the England frontman.
    "There's three or four clubs wanting him and he wants to play football," Redknapp said on Sky Sports News.
    "He's too good not to play. He's an outstanding player."
    Redknapp expected some movement, both in and out of White Hart Lane.
    He continued: "We do need to shift one or two, so we will see how the day pans out.
    "I'm sure the chairman will be busy on the phone all day. David Bentley needs to move. David's got great ability. I think he could go somewhere. He could do a great job for someone I'm sure.
    "There may be three or four out. There won't be three or four in. There might be one or two still. We'll wait and see."
    Scott Parker Factfile:
    1980: Born October 13 in Lambeth.
    1993: First comes to national attention as a ball-juggling 13-year-old in an advertisement for fast-food chain McDonald's.
    1997: August - Signs professional terms with Charlton.
    December - Makes league debut aged 17 in 4-1 defeat at Sheffield United. Booked despite only playing for the final 19 minutes.
    1998: Charlton promoted to the Premiership via the play-offs.
    1998-99: Makes just four appearances as the Addicks make an instant return to Division One.
    2000: March - Scores his first senior goal, the winner as Charlton beat QPR 2-1, having signed a new four-year contract earlier in the month.
    May 7 - Claims a First Division title-winners' medal as Charlton return to the Premiership.
    October 31 - Moves to Norwich on loan, making six league appearances and scoring one goal before returning to The Valley a month later.
    2002: Booked nine times and sent off once as the Addicks again retain their Premiership status. Represents England at Under-21 European Championships in Switzerland.
    February - Called into the senior England squad for the first time for friendly against Australia, though he does not play in the 3-1 defeat.
    November - Makes England debut in 3-2 defeat by Denmark at Old Trafford, coming on as a 66th-minute substitute.
    2004: January - Completes 10million move to Chelsea.
    April - Named PFA young player of the year.
    2005: December 18 - Breaks bone in his foot as substitute at Norwich.
    March 8 - An unused substitute for the Champions League last-16 second-leg tie against Barcelona, he later suffers a relapse in his comeback from injury and misses the rest of the season as Chelsea win the league.
    June 15: Joins Newcastle for 6.5million on five-year contract.
    September 15 - Sent off in Premiership match against Fulham.
    2006: March 26 - Scores Newcastle's goal in 3-1 defeat at former club Charlton. Ruled out for rest of 2005-06 season with glandular fever.
    September - Scores against Fulham but is visibly upset after a challenge on Jimmy Bullard that left his opponent with a dislocated knee.
    October - Wins third England cap in 2-0 Euro 2008 qualifying defeat by Croatia in Zagreb.
    2007: June 6 - Joins West Ham for 7million, signing a five-year deal.
    September 26 - Makes delayed competitive debut against Plymouth in League Cup after knee ligament injury suffered in pre-season training.
    September 29 - Suffers a recurrence of the injury during his Premier League debut against Arsenal.
    December 22 - Scores first Hammers goal in 2-1 win at Middlesbrough.
    2010: April 24 - Scores a spectacular goal against Wigan to all but ensure his side's top-flight survival.
    November 2010 - Makes his 100th West Ham appearance in Premier League draw with West Brom.
    2011: April - Named Football Writers' player of the year.
    May - Ends season with a career-high seven goals, despite the Hammers' relegation, and is named player of the year by both the club and their fans.
    August 30 - Hands in written transfer request to West Ham.
    August 31 - Joins Tottenham for undisclosed fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast