Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 02-09-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 02-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 02-09-11

Bendtner: Keen to leave Arsenal for good

Nicklas Bendtner has vowed never to return to Arsenal after sealing his loan switch to Sunderland.
    The Danish international secured a season-long loan move to Sunderland on transfer deadline day after finding himself out-of-favour at the Emirates.
    The 23-year-old believes he has not been given a fair chance in Arsene Wenger's side ever since he had a car crash two years ago.
    Bendtner is now planning for life after Arsenal as he has no intention of returning to the club once his loan deal expires.
    "I will never go back to Arsenal. If I can have it my way, I will never play for them again," Bendtner is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"After my car accident I never really got the chance to earn a spot in the first team.

"That is over one-and-a-half years with no real chance to prove myself.

"I am really looking forward to playing for Sunderland and then we will see next summer.

"I will find a new club - but I will not go back to Arsenal, that's for sure."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 02-09-11

McClaren: Considering his future?

Nottingham Forest manager Steve McClaren is understood to be considering his position at the City Ground.
    McClaren only took charge during the summer following the dismissal of Billy Davies, but Forest have made a poor start to the season and he has been frustrated by a lack of activity from the club in the transfer market.
    The former England manager had hoped to bring in a number of reinforcements to help Forest challenge for promotion to the Premier League, and called on the board to show their ambition before Wednesday's 11pm deadline.
    However, the squad was not strengthened as much as McClaren would have liked and his future at the club is now in doubt.
    McClaren has gone away for a few days during the international break for a period of reflection, and is expected to make a decision by the end of the weekend.
    McClaren's predecessor at the City Ground, Davies, regularly called for support in making new signings during his two-and-a-half years at the helm.
    Davies guided the club to back-to-back play-off finishes but did not manage to secure promotion and was relieved of his duties in June.
    Forest are currently 18th in the Championship standings five games into the new campaign, having lost 4-1 at home to West Ham last Sunday.
    McClaren had been determined to prove that he could be successful in English football after a miserable spell in charge of the national team earlier in his career.
    He repaired some of the damage to his reputation with a title-winning stint at Dutch club FC Twente, before moving to German outfit Wolfsburg.
    But he lasted less than a season at Wolfsburg after finding that he did not have full control over transfers, and he now faces a similar situation at Forest.

Luka Modric: Stayed at Spurs

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp hopes Luka Modric will soon be back to his best after managing to hold on to the playmaker despite strong interest from Chelsea this summer.
    Spurs fans breathed a huge sigh of relief at 11pm last night as the transfer deadline passed without Modric moving across the capital to the Blues.
    Not even a 40million offer from Roman Abramovich could prevent Spurs chairman Daniel Levy from altering the tough 'not for sale' stance he has held all summer over Modric, despite the Croatian clearly stating he wanted to move to Stamford Bridge.
    The 25-year-old was arguably Spurs' best player last season but Chelsea's interest has taken its toll on him psychologically and he has only played once for the club so far this term.
    Even that one appearance - against Manchester City last Sunday - came against Modric's will after Redknapp revealed the player had pleaded with him not to be selected.
    Redknapp admitted last week that he has no idea whether Modric will be able to put his dream of challenging for the Champions League with Andre Villas-Boas' team behind him.
    But now that Chelsea have no chance of signing him - until January at least - Redknapp is hoping the player will knuckle down and form a solid partnership with new signing Scott Parker in midfield.
    "I am delighted that Luka Modric is still here. The chairman stood firm and I hope he will go on to have a great season for us," Redknapp told Tottenham's website.
    "We are strong in the middle of the park now. Scott Parker has arrived, Sandro is getting fit and we also have Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore."
    Parker completed his protracted move to White Hart Lane yesterday in a deal thought to be worth 6million.
    His capture could prove to be one of the signings of the summer if he is able to recreate the kind of form that saw him win the Football Writers' Association player of the year award last season.
    "It is great to have both of last year's footballers of the year here at Tottenham in Gareth Bale, who was the PFA Player of the Year, and now Scott Parker.
    "Scott is exactly what we need. He is a good character and an excellent professional with a great attitude. He will be fantastic for us both on and off the pitch."
    Emmanuel Adebayor and Brad Friedel were the other two main signings at the club this summer, with Levy heavily focused on selling the fringe players who have stagnated at the club over the last 12 months.
    Alan Hutton and Jermaine Jenas both joined Aston Villa, David Bentley moved to West Ham on loan and Wilson Palacios was sold to Stoke along with Peter Crouch, who was a surprise exit from the club.
    "We have had to reduce our number of players to get them all in our 25-man playing squad. It was difficult and we wish those leaving well," Redknapp added.
    "We are looking forward to the rest of the season now. We have got a good squad and it is going to be exciting."
    Friedel, 40, has ousted Heurelho Gomes from his number one spot since arriving on a free transfer from Aston Villa and Carlo Cudicini also impressed against Hearts in the Europa League last week.
    With a long European campaign in the offing, Redknapp is pleased to have three quality stoppers at his disposal.
    "We are fortunate to have three top goalkeepers at the club now following the addition of Brad Friedel earlier this summer," the 64-year-old said.
    "He has already shown what he is capable of with his performances so far this season. He is a fantastic pro and a great goalkeeper."

Per Mertesacker: Joined Arsenal on deadline day

Arsenal fan Per Mertesacker admits watching the Gunners trashed 8-2 at Manchester United was painful - but the Germany centre-half hopes for better times ahead after sealing his dream move.
    The 26-year-old 6ft 6in defender was allowed leave from the international training camp to complete his deadline day transfer from Werder Bremen, in what is understood to be an 8million deal.
    Mertesacker and Brazil full-back Andre Santos, who arrived from Fenerbahce, will add some much-needed experience to an Arsenal backline which was brutally exposed at Old Trafford on Sunday, when England striker Wayne Rooney helped himself to a hat-trick.
    The German has followed the Gunners since he was a teenager, and revealed the debacle against United did not make easy viewing.
    "I watched that game and I wasn't too delighted," Mertesacker said from Germany's training camp in Dusseldorf.
    "When I was young and visited England with my auntie, as somebody who was football crazy, I simply had to come back with a shirt.
    "I can't remember why, but I came back with an Arsenal shirt and my brother had a Manchester United one.
    "This affinity has grown over more than 10 years and now the loop closes because I am delighted to finally get to play at a team I always supported and where I always wanted to appear eventually."
    Mertesacker continued: "I think Arsenal had been watching me for a while and had intended to sign me for a while.
    "It was a strange situation for me because it was not clear for a long time what would happen and it dragged out to the very end.
    "After the medical in London (on Tuesday), it took until late yesterday and I was unsure it would work out, but then I was delighted in the end.
    "It is a dream come true and it is a very attractive challenge."
    Wenger was busy in the final days of the transfer window, having brought in South Korea captain Park Chu-young from Monaco earlier in the week.
    The 10million signing of Mikel Arteta from Everton was completed just ahead of the deadline, along with a season-long loan move for Israel captain Yossi Benayoun from Chelsea.
    The 29-year-old Spaniard is reported to have taken a pay cut to agree a four-year deal at the Emirates Stadium.
    Arteta will strengthen a midfield ripped apart by the departures of skipper Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri.
    The transfer offers Arteta the chance to test himself at another level.
    "It is a big challenge, a different challenge, fresh for me and I want to see myself on the biggest stage, the Champions League," he said on evertontv.
    "I am 29 years old, so I haven't got much time left to take a chance like this one."
    Santos, 28, joins the Gunners from the Turkish champions, and the Brazil international intends to win more silverware as soon as possible.
    The defender told ArsenalPlayer: "There are great expectations from the supporters and I hope that my way of working, of playing, will win the hearts and minds of the other players, the supporters and all those who work for Arsenal.
    "This is my main goal at the club - I managed to win over the supporters at Fenerbahce and I hope the same will happen here."
    Santos added: "I arrive here with one aim - being a champion.
    "I will wear Arsenal's shirt and give my utmost to it. I will do everything for the club."
    Sunderland, meanwhile, could consider making a permanent move for Nicklas Bendtner next summer, should the Denmark forward impress during his season loan at the Stadium of Light, in another move with was pushed through just ahead of the transfer deadline.

Raul Meireles: Chelsea switch

John Terry hopes Chelsea's capture of Raul Meireles will make up for the club's failure to sign number one transfer target Luka Modric.
    Chelsea's three-month pursuit of Tottenham midfielder Modric ended in failure as the west London outfit failed to sign the Croatian despite a reported 40million bid for the player just before the transfer window shut.
    Manager Andre Villas-Boas then turned his attention straight to Meireles and the Portugal midfielder moved to the Londoners to be reunited with his former Porto boss within hours of learning of his interest.
    Terry has never hidden his admiration for Modric, describing the playmaker as "world class" at the start of the summer when the Blues made their initial 22million offer.
    He admits he was surprised to see Meireles join instead of Modric but hopes the former Boavista man will fit in to the squad well and help the club in their aim of winning back the Barclays Premier League title.
    "I was surprised (at the signing of Meireles). It was very late," Terry said.
    "He is a very good player. I spoke to (Liverpool's) Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll and they stressed how good he was.
    "Andre has coached him before. We missed out on the Modric one and he will come in in that very similar role so I'm very excited about what's happening at Chelsea with the players we have brought in."
    Meireles joins Juan Mata, Romelu Lukaku and Oriol Romeu as the major signings at Stamford Bridge this summer.
    One person who left the club on deadline day was Yossi Benayoun, who has joined Arsenal on a season-long loan.
    The Israeli missed six months of last season with an Achilles injury and Terry is upset to see him go.
    "I was very sad," said the Chelsea skipper, who was speaking at a press conference in Sofia ahead of England's game in Bulgaria tomorrow.
    "I didn't realise how good he was until I trained with him day in day out.
    "With the injury he picked up last year, he was quite unfortunate really because I felt as though he had a lot to give to the Chelsea side this year.
    "Unfortunately he has gone on loan. We all wish him well.
    "Hopefully he can get the run of games he deserves."
    While much of the focus so far this season has been on the development of Manchester United's exciting crop of new young players, Terry thinks Chelsea should be proud of their developing English contingent too.
    Josh McEachran and Daniel Sturridge, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Bolton, have both been tipped as future England internationals and Terry is sure they will develop into top players.
    "Daniel Sturridge has benefited from going on loan and playing week in week out an awful lot," Terry added.
    "He has come back and shown great form this season. He has been unfortunate with being suspended for the first three games because I think he would have been the first name down on the Chelsea teamsheet.
    "We have Josh McEachran as well. We haven't let him out on loan because he has a big part to play for us this year too. Hopefully he will come through."
    Sturridge, meanwhile, hopes he can repay Villas-Boas for keeping faith with him.
    The acquisition of Lukaku and Mata this summer takes the number of forward players capable of playing in Chelsea's front three to eight.
    That had led to suggestions that Sturridge could be farmed out on a temporary basis again this term.
    Villas-Boas has opted to keep the 22-year-old at Chelsea though and he is now hoping for a start against Sunderland a week on Saturday.
    "He (Villas-Boas) likes me to dribble, to shoot, to try and create goals for the team," Sturridge said in Chelsea magazine.
    "Whichever position he chooses for me, I'll play there. I'm a versatile player, and there's definitely more freedom playing wide rather than as a striker."

Dann: New Blackburn signing

New Blackburn signing Scott Dann is keen to make up for lost time having missed half a season during which he had to watch former club Birmingham get relegated.
    The 24-year-old joins a Rovers side next-to-bottom of the table without a point after three matches of the Barclays Premier League but insists he is not worried by critics who are already writing off their chances.
    Dann enjoyed an impressive first season in the top flight in 2009/10 and was continuing that form last campaign until a hamstring injury in January ended his involvement.
    He had to watch from the sidelines as Blues recorded a famous Carling Cup victory over Arsenal at Wembley but was powerless to prevent their slide into the npower Championship.
    Now back to full fitness he is relishing the new challenge with Blackburn, having been linked with a number of top clubs in the summer.
    "While I've been at Birmingham there has been a lot of speculation that I would be leaving and to get it finally wrapped up is a relief," said Dann, who signed for 6million which could rise with add-ons.
    "I heard of Blackburn's interest a couple of days ago and it has all happened quickly and I was delighted to get it all sorted last night.
    "From a personal point of view I would have liked it to have been done sooner so I could have got straight in with my new team-mates but it hasn't worked out that way.
    "But I was looking forward to coming into training today. I got injured in January, missed the Carling Cup final and couldn't play for the rest of the season.
    "I've been fit all through the summer and I've had a full pre-season but missing so many games is frustrating.
    "I need to play and I'm not happy unless there are games so I am delighted I am now playing for Blackburn.
    "It wasn't an option for me to stay in the Championship, I needed a new challenge."
    Dann is reunited with Kean, who was assistant manager at Coventry the same time the defender was there between 2008 and 2009.
    And he is confident things are set to improve for the club after three straight defeats.
    "It is always nice to get as many points as you can as early as you can but we've only played three games," he added.
    "I watched the match on Saturday against Everton (a 1-0 defeat in which Rovers missed two penalties) and if that is anything to go by then we will have no problem."
    Dann's fellow deadline day signing was Everton striker Ayegbeni Yakubu, who signed a three-year deal after Rovers paid a fee believed to be about 1million to the Toffees.
    "For me to be here is great," said the 28-year-old Nigerian.
    "I know I will have to fight for my place as they have some quality players here."
    Rovers are also awaiting confirmation that the paperwork on a deal for Sheffield United youngster Jordan Slew, who has agreed a four-year deal, has been verified.
    However, equally important to Kean was hanging on to key players like Steven Nzonzi and Chris Samba after plenty of speculation linking them with other clubs.
    "There was interest in Steven but we fought it off," said Kean.
    "And although there was plenty of speculation that bids would come in for Chris they never materialised.
    "I gave Chris a couple of days off intentionally to make sure he was out of the country and we are delighted he is still here.
    "We now have our group who will take us forward and I am delighted the window has closed and with the business we have done."
    Kean also revealed Junior Hoilett was on the verge of signing a new long-term contract.
    "We have agreed in principle a deal which has not been signed yet as there are a few minor things to sort out," he added.
    "We are confident it will be done and dusted in the next 24 hours."
    One player who has left Ewood Park, however, is El Hadji Diouf after his contract was terminated.
    The Senegal international was on loan at Rangers for the second half of the previous campaign but angered Kean by returning late for pre-season training.
    "Dioufy has left the club. I think we reached a mutual consent termination of his contract last night," said the Rovers boss.
    "He will be moving on to pastures new and we wish him all the best."
    (reopens) Rovers later confirmed Slew's registration had been accepted, allowing him to finalise his four-year contract.

Lucho Gonzalez: Still at Marseille

Marseille midfielder Lucho Gonzalez insists that, despite being linked with Arsenal, he did not seek a move away from the Stade Velodrome during the transfer window.
    The 30-year-old Argentina international was one of a host of reported playmaking targets for Arsene Wenger during a summer which saw Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri leave the Emirates Stadium.
    But he told Argentinian newspaper La Nacion: "I never wanted to leave but I appreciate that Arsenal were interested in me.
    "That made me proud, as it would any footballer, especially one of my age. We did not reach an agreement because they were looking for a younger player, who would fetch a bigger fee in the future."

Jordan Slew: Makes Blackburn move

Blackburn have finalised the signing of Sheffield United youngster Jordan Slew after the deal was rubber stamped by the Premier League.
    Steve Kean's side made a move for Slew late on transfer deadline day but had to wait for Premier League approval that the deal was registered in time.
    The 18-year-old striker has penned a four-year contract at Ewood Park in a move the Blades have confirmed to be worth 1.1million, an amount that could rise depending on criteria being met.
    Slew, a youth product at Bramall Lane, becomes Rovers' third deadline day signing following the captures of Scott Dann and Yakubu.
    Manager Kean told Blackburn's official website: "He's an exciting young player. He will go into the elite development group that we have.
    "We always look down the depth of the Academy and when we are short of quality then we go out and purchase and the owners have backed that plan."
    After establishing himself as a key player for Sheffield United's academy side, Slew broke into the first-team last season.
    Blades director Scott McCabe admits Rovers' offer was too good to turn down, adding: "It was an attractive offer and one we were unable to refuse for what is, essentially, an unproven player."

Stuart Pearce: Set to be Team GB coach

Stuart Pearce is expected to be confirmed as Great Britain's 2012 Olympic coach this month.
    Although the Football Association would not comment on the speculation on Friday morning, it is understood they have decided Pearce is the right man for the job.
    He is certainly the most obvious candidate given he has coached the England Under-21 side since 2007, taking them to three major European Championship Finals.
    This summer's disappointing performance in Denmark cast a cloud over Pearce's stewardship, although he was subsequently awarded a new two-year contract, covering the Olympic period.
    He also, of course, has playing experience at major tournaments with England.
    Even once Pearce's appointment is confirmed, uncertainty will remain over the exact make-up of the British team.
    The British Olympic Association are desperate to field an authentic side at the event and earlier this year released a statement, in conjunction with the FA, stating they had reached agreement with the other Home Unions to do exactly that.
    This was quickly rebutted by the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish Football Associations, who fear the dilution of the Home Unions' status within FIFA should they join forces with their English counterparts.
    Grudgingly, they have agreed to the participation of a squad made up of English players only, although accept they would be powerless to prevent any of their own players taking up an invitation should it be offered.
    The matter is further complicated by the pledge of FA director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking that any player involved at Euro 2012 will not be asked to be part of the Olympics as well.
    However, that was before the shock elevation of Manchester United players Tom Cleverley, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling to the senior squad.
    Pearce knows their absence from an Under-23 team which can also include three over-age players - former England skipper David Beckham has already declared an interest - would have an adverse effect on Britain's chances of being able to field a competitive team.
    No decision has been made on who will coach the women's side, although Hope Powell has long been viewed as the leading candidate.

Jermaine Jenas: Joined Villa on loan

Jermaine Jenas is looking to rediscover his best form at Aston Villa after moving from Tottenham on a season-long loan.
    The midfielder has set his sights on obtaining a regular spot after becoming frustrated at his lack of opportunities at White Hart Lane.
    Jenas said: "It's been frustrating for me being in and out, in and out and it's almost impossible to generate any form.
    "Obviously, I've still got to get into this team. It's a very good side with some very good players.
    "That's one of the reasons why I was chomping at the bit to get up here.
    "I looked at what they had within the squad, how I would fit into that and what we could achieve and it excited me."
    Jenas added "I've got to work hard in training to try and get a starting place within this team and then I can build up my form and produce the kind of performances I know I can produce.
    "I'm still a young 28, I've still got plenty of energy and plenty more to come."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast