Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 03-09-11

McClaren: Dismisses quitting reports.
    I AM GOING NOWHERE - STEVE McCLAREN

Steve McClaren has confirmed he will be staying in his role as Nottingham Forest manager.
    Reports emerged on Friday morning that McClaren, who was appointed at the City Ground just 11 weeks ago, had retreated to his north-east base to think about his position after becoming frustrated at a lack of investment in his team.
    But the former England boss has put those rumours to bed and insisted he is committed to guiding Forest back to the Premier League.
    "I would like to emphasise that my only concern is getting on with the job at Forest of achieving the goal of getting the club back to the Premier League," he said in a statement on Forest's official website.
    "Contrary to reports, it has never been my intention to consider leaving. I am certainly no quitter and I am as enthusiastic about the task as I was when I arrived in Nottingham in June.
    "I am desperately keen to succeed at Forest and as far as I am concerned it is onwards and upwards with everyone pulling in the same direction in order to achieve our aims."
    McClaren did, however, concede he had endured some frustrations in his short reign to date.
    "I can't deny that it has been a frustrating time and some things have not worked out the way I had hoped in the first three months.
    "But it is a building process and still very much early days," he added.
    Chief executive Mark Arthur said: "As with all new relationships there are teething problems and some frustrations, but they are ones that can be overcome.
    "When we appointed Steve we knew we were getting a top-class manager with a proven track record and we very much viewed his arrival as the start of a long-term project.
    "Nothing has changed with that and more than ever we are looking to work with Steve and helping him achieve the ambitions that we all have for Nottingham Forest."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-09-11

Steven Davis: Not for sale
    VILLA FAILED WITH STEVEN DAVIS BID

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish has confirmed he made an unsuccessful attempt to bring Rangers midfielder Steven Davis back to the midlands club before the transfer window closed.
    Davis moved from Villa to Fulham four years ago in a 4 million deal before making the switch to Ibrox after an initial loan period.
    McLeish said: "Steven Davis is a Rangers player. We asked about him, but we know how much he means to Rangers.
    "We never pursued it because they made it clear he wasn't for sale."

Uploads

Borini: Attracted interest from Liverpool
    LIVERPOOL WANTED BORINI - AGENT

Fabio Borini's agent claims Liverpool expressed an interest in him before he moved to Roma.
    Former Chelsea and Swansea man Borini joined Roma on transfer deadline day on loan from Parma despite only arriving at the Ennio Tardini in the summer.
    Borini impressed at Swansea on loan last season helping them win promotion to the Premier League and his form did not go unnoticed.
    Liverpool, who signed Craig Bellamy on deadline day, are thought to have expressed an interest in Borini as they looked to bolster their attacking options.
    "Parma did well to believe in him when his contract at Chelsea ran out," said Borini's agent Marco De Marchi
    "Then Roma invested heavily on him which confirmed that the player has some extraordinary ability, as you can see from his performances for the Italian Under-21 side.
    "The player was liked by a lot of other clubs, sides such as Liverpool and Hamburg came after him too."

Uploads

Neil Eardley: Staying at Blackpool
    EARDLEY REVEALS NEW DEAL DELIGHT

Blackpool's Neil Eardley has spoken of his delight at signing a one-year extension to his contract, putting an end to any uncertainty hanging over his future.
    Eardley has been moved to an unfamiliar midfield role at the start of this season but that has not changed his desire to stay at the club.

He told the club's official website: "I'm really pleased to have signed for another year and get the contract extension sorted.
    "We've been talking about it for a while and ideally it would've been sorted over the summer but I can't say that it's been a distraction.
    "Position-wise I don't know where I'm going to end up, as long as I'm playing I'm happy but I've really enjoyed playing in midfield.

Uploads

Dos Santos: Hoping to get a chance at Tottenham
    DOS SANTOS UPSET WITH TOTTENHAM

Giovani Dos Santos admits he has been left "disappointed and angry" after failing to secure a move away from Tottenham Hotspur before the close of the transfer window.
    The Mexico international has struggled to establish himself at Spurs since joining from Barcelona in 2008 and has made just 10 appearances in the Premier League.
    It is almost 12 months since he last featured for Spurs and he has undertaken spells on loan at Ipswich Town, Galatasaray and Racing Santander during his time at White Hart Lane.
    He was hoping to secure a move to Sevilla this summer after also being linked with Genoa, Lazio and Wigan Athletic, and is unhappy that Spurs failed to agree a deal.
    "To be honest I already felt at another club, Sevilla, and we had already completed more than 50% of negotiations," the 22-year-old told Sport.
    "Almost everything had been agreed but with half an hour to go Spurs changed their minds, something I found very odd.
    "I was very surprised Harry Redknapp changed his mind, given that in the three years I've been with Tottenham he has not used me or had confidence in me.
    "I hope this time he is honest and tells the truth when I talk to him about where he would like me to play.
    "Both myself and my agent have been left disappointed, sad and angry at the way Tottenham have acted and after such a long time without having any confidence in me I am now going to get my chance, which seems strange.
    "Even so, I mean to take this opportunity out of respect to the Tottenham fans and also because of the professional I am."
    Dos Santos has been included in Spurs boss Redknapp's 25-man squad which has been submitted to the Premier League for the first half of the season.

Uploads

Arteta: Excited about Arsenal start
    ARTETA READY TO MAKE HIS MARK

Mikel Arteta is confident he can fit right in at Arsenal as they look to finally deliver some long overdue success in 2012.
    The 29-year-old Spaniard is said to have accepted a pay cut to force through his 10million deadline-day switch from Everton.
    And while Arteta does not claim he can fill the void left at the heart of the Arsenal team by the sales of captain Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, the midfielder is confident he can have an impact for Arsene Wenger's men as they look to first recover from the 8-2 mauling at Manchester United, and then win a first trophy since 2005.
    "I know Arsenal's philosophy is always having possession of the ball and to be a really nice passing team, it's the type of football I like to play, so I can't wait," Arteta said on Sky Sports News.
    "I am going there to help the team to make things better and to see if we can win something.
    "Fabregas has been a terrific player, one of the best in the Premier League and [replacing him] is a big ask.
    "What I want to do is start helping the team, start showing my abilities and see where we go from there."
    Arteta, though, admits it was not easy to leave Everton after six-and-a half years on Merseyside.
    However, the midfielder believes his sale will help ease the financial burdens which currently surround Goodison Park.
    "It has been hard saying goodbye to everyone at Everton and seeing some of the reaction of people with whom I've shared so many good moments," the former Rangers man said.
    "I think the club is in a situation where they need to sell someone.
    "They don't want to put the team and the club in a situation when in one or two years time this club is in bits."
    Arsenal were one of the busiest clubs over the final days of the transfer window, as deals were concluded to bring in South Korea captain Park Chu-young - who netted a hat-trick in Friday's 6-0 World Cup qualifier win over against Lebanon - and defensive duo Per Mertesacker and Andre Santos.
    Israel captain Yossi Benayoun was another arrival, joining on a season-long loan from Chelsea.
    Wenger also had plenty of other irons in the fire, with Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas claiming the Gunners made a late bid for attacking midfielder Yaroann Gourcuff.
    Arsenal may have secured a place in the group stages of the Champions League with a play-off win over Udinese, but have lost two of their opening three domestic fixtures.
    Czech winger Tomas Rosicky, however, is in no doubt his side, who host new-boys Swansea after the international break, will soon be back to form.
    "We are at the very beginning of the season and there is still plenty of time to turn things around completely," Rosicky told the Czech newspaper Blesk.
    "Up until now we always had good starts and finished badly. Maybe it will turn around and we will have a successful season. We must shake it off and respond in the next game."
    Rosicky admits the squad will analyse just what went wrong in "the worst hammering I have experienced in football" when they return to London Colney next week.
    "There is probably no sense in commenting on the game after such a hammering. The best you can do is to forget and start from the scratch," the 30-year-old added.
    "We will definitely discuss it when everyone returns from international duty and there is no point about speaking about it now."

Uploads

Paynter: Wants to fight for his place at Leeds
    PAYNTER STILL IN LEEDS' PLANS

Leeds United boss Simon Grayson says Billy Paynter is still part of his plans despite giving the striker permission to discuss a transfer deadline day move.
    It was revealed that Brighton & Hove Albion and Coventry City had both shown an interest in Paynter, with the Seagulls making an offer for the 27-year-old.
    However, the two clubs were unable to agree a fee for the forward, who has scored just once for Leeds since joining from Swindon Town in 2010.
    Grayson revealed Paynter is keen to prove himself at Elland Road and he is happy to give the player the chance to fight for a first-team spot.
    "There was an enquiry about him and I gave a club the opportunity to see where they wanted to take it and nothing came of it," said Grayson in the Yorkshire Post.
    "I've spoken to him about the situation and he realises he is part of my plans and is going to be part of a group that is hopefully pushing for promotion this year.
    "But sometimes when someone comes in for a player, you have to be honest with them and see what their opinion of it is. He wanted to see what was out there, but it didn't happen.
    "He said to me he wasn't over-keen on leaving because he wants to prove to people here he is a good player and the player everyone expected when we signed him."

Uploads

Jermaine Jenas: Joined Villa on loan
    JENAS RELISHING VILLA CHALLENGE

Jermaine Jenas is looking to rediscover his best form at Aston Villa after moving from Tottenham on a season-long loan.
    The midfielder has set his sights on obtaining a regular spot after becoming frustrated at his lack of opportunities at White Hart Lane.
    Jenas said: "It's been frustrating for me being in and out, in and out and it's almost impossible to generate any form.
    "Obviously, I've still got to get into this team. It's a very good side with some very good players.
    "That's one of the reasons why I was chomping at the bit to get up here.
    "I looked at what they had within the squad, how I would fit into that and what we could achieve and it excited me."
    Jenas added "I've got to work hard in training to try and get a starting place within this team and then I can build up my form and produce the kind of performances I know I can produce.
    "I'm still a young 28, I've still got plenty of energy and plenty more to come."

Uploads

Bentley: Pleased to have come to West Ham
    BENTLEY HAPPY WITH HAMMERS MOVE

David Bentley believes taking a step down to the Championship will prove to be the right move for his career after joining West Ham on loan.
    Bentley has never managed to establish himself in the starting XI under Harry Redknapp at Tottenham after arriving from Blackburn in 2008.
    He is therefore delighted to have signed a season-long loan deal with West Ham on deadline day.
    While he admits dropping down to the second tier is not ideal, the 27-year-old recognises that West Ham are still a big club and he is looking forward to working with Sam Allardyce.
    "Everyone wants to play in the Premier League but sometimes you have to step down and, hopefully, it'll be the right step for my career," he said in The Sun.
    "It's a good club and manager Sam Allardyce wanted me."
    "I'm trying to rebuild my career like West Ham are trying to rebuild themselves."

Uploads

Riera: Former Liverpool star makes Turkey switch
    RIERA MAKES GALA SWITCH

Galatasaray have signed Spain winger Albert Riera from Olympiacos for 3million euros, the Turkish club have announced on their website.
    The much-travelled 29-year-old has agreed an initial four-year contract with Galatasaray after spending one season in Greece.
    Aside from Olympiacos, Riera has also played for Real Mallorca and Espanyol in Spain, French side Bordeaux and English sides Manchester City and Liverpool. He has won 16 caps for Spain since making his international debut in 2007.
    Riera said on the Olympiacos website: "I wish to thank the president and the Olympiacos board for finally accepting my desire to move to Galatasaray, as it was an excellent proposal for me and my family.
    "I believe that I showed the best of me in the year that I was with the team and I wish Olympiacos, my co-players and the fans all success."