Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 08-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 08-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 08-09-11

David Beckham: Interests QPR owner Fernandes
    BECKHAM HOOP DREAMS FOR WARNOCK

QPR manager Neil Warnock has refused to rule out a move for David Beckham as "anything is possible".
    New owner Tony Fernandes signalled his interest in bringing the 36-year-old former Manchester United midfielder to the club on Twitter this week.
    And Warnock was quoted in the Daily Telegraph as saying: "About three weeks ago I would not have dreamed to sign Joey Barton so I will never write anything off.
    "The chairman Tony Fernandes has got such [an opinion] - why accept the average when you can reach for the top? That is how he is.
    "It came out of the blue. I think anything is possible. He is a very astute businessman."
    Beckham is in the final year of his Major League Soccer contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 08-09-11

Jonny Evans: Knows he must maintain form
    JONNY EVANS FEARS MAN UTD EXIT

Jonny Evans has admitted he must improve at Manchester United this season or face the probability of it being his last.
    The Northern Ireland international has certainly started well enough, retaining his place for the record win over Arsenal after stepping in for the injured Rio Ferdinand in the previous week's win against Tottenham.
    Together with Phil Jones, Evans has forged a youthful partnership that has also done Chris Smalling a favour given it was Sir Alex Ferguson's faith in the pair that allowed him to move the former Fulham man to right-back, from where he has jumped into the England team.
    But Evans knows he must maintain his current form in order to avoid a repeat of last season's disappointments.
    "Of the three seasons since I came back from Sunderland, the last one was my most difficult," he said.
    "I didn't hit the form I wanted. I went away and thought maybe I have another year, if I had another season like that I am sure the manager wouldn't want me around.
    "I wasn't playing consistently to a good enough standard for Manchester United so I have gone back to basics and worked hard."
    Evans was confident he would get that extra year and Ferguson would not make a snap judgement based on a single poor season.
    The departures of Wes Brown and John O'Shea to Sunderland were a further hint in that direction, although Evans realised he could not afford to take anything for granted.
    "The manager never said anything to me and I never went to see him," he said.
    "I was pretty confident the manager wouldn't get rid of me. I have always thought he has a bit of faith in me. Maybe you do have the odd doubt but I thought it would have been unfair if I had left, considering the two seasons I had before.
    "Last year wasn't a total disaster. There were times when I did feel good and others where I felt I needed that level of consistency every week.
    "I was on holiday when I heard John and Wes were in talks with Sunderland and would be leaving.
    "It did make me think there was room but no matter who the manager gets rid of, or signs, there are so many players who can step into so many different positions it is crazy.
    "If you are not in his plans he will move you on. If you are here you have a great chance of being involved."
    That Evans was able to play a full part in United's three-week pre-season tour of North America has helped his early-season form, although the 23-year-old has previously admitted similar performances last summer proved to be no indicator to what lay ahead.
    It could be that he is also feeding off the exuberance of those around him who, staggeringly, have put Evans into the category of old stager.
    "It is weird," he said.
    "It is hard to believe Phil Jones is only 19. Chris Smalling is 21. David de Gea is 20. We have the Da Silva brothers.
    "The average age against Tottenham was 23. I was just over on months. It has given the young players an incentive to step up to the mark.
    "You cannot be a kid anymore and sit back and let things happen. You have to stamp your authority on the team."
    Changes are inevitable now though as the games pile up.
    Before the next international break, Benfica and Basel must be faced in the Champions League, Leeds visited in the Carling Cup and four Premier League games played, starting with Saturday's trip to Bolton, when Evans feels the true value of this United side will start to become known.
    "It is different at home," he said.
    "We are so good at going forward and scoring goals it takes a lot of pressure off you.
    "But we have a lot of big tests coming up. It is places like Bolton and Stoke that really test you.
    "Going away from home to get a result will be tough with such a young side, so I am sure the manager will tinker with it when the time is right."

Uploads

Jutkiewicz: Still interest from Boro
    BORO STILL KEEN ON JUTKIEWICZ

Middlesbrough remain keen to sign Coventry's Lukas Jutkiewicz despite missing out on the striker on transfer deadline day.
    Boro boss Tony Mowbray looked poised to sign the 22-year-old as the deadline approached last Wednesday only for Coventry to raise his fee late on, but first-team coach Mark Proctor has not ruled out another bid when the window for loans opens for Football League clubs on Thursday.
    "It's common knowledge we tried to sign him," Proctor told the Northern Echo. "It just didn't quite happen. Maybe once the window has reopened on Thursday then it could be re-ignited.
    "We do need to bring someone in. We can't cope with how things are at the moment. I'm sure before long we will bring one in."
    Coventry manager Andy Thorn, who had been prepared to let Jutkiewicz leave before a deal for Cardiff's Jon Parkin fell through, said: "I brought Juke to the club so I know how good he is.
    "I've had a good chat with him and he's been as good as gold, completely professional about it throughout and is now looking forward to getting back to playing football."

Uploads

Gary Cahill: Sought-after central defender
    COYLE - CAHILL CONTRACT TALKS CAN WAIT

Owen Coyle has insisted he is in no rush to speak to Gary Cahill about extending the defender's contract at Bolton.
    Cahill was linked with a move away from the Reebok Stadium during the transfer window but nothing materialised despite interest from Arsenal and Tottenham.
    Coyle declared earlier this week that the only bids Bolton received for the England international were way off their valuation
    The Trotters manager admits he was surprised to keep hold of the centre-back, but says talks over a new deal can wait.
    Cahill's current contract expires at the end of this season and he will be able to leave for nothing next summer, while clubs could come back in for him in January.
    Asked about contract talks, Coyle told Sky Sports News: "It is not a conversation for right now.
    "At the end of the day, Gary and his representatives will need to have a bit of a chat, but my focus is making sure Gary concentrates on the football side of things.
    "Players have got to understand that all the benefits and rewards that come their way, they only come on the back of what you earn by performing well on the pitch, and if you don't perform there won't be that interest from elite clubs."
    Keeping Cahill's focus on Bolton is Coyle's priority at present, although he fully expects the 25-year-old to one day join a club competing in the UEFA Champions League.
    "Gary is ambitious and wants to play at the highest level of the game, and I am totally understanding of this," Coyle explained.
    "Now, we are in the best league in the world, that goes without saying, and the next step to that is the Champions League.
    "There is no doubt that Gary, I think, in time would love to be part of an elite club, and I think he is more than capable of playing for any of them.
    "That will happen in time, I have no doubt about it, but before then, Gary has to make sure he is focused and doing his job for Bolton, both for himself and to make sure he is an integral part of that England squad.
    "I expected Gary to go in the summer to an elite club, that was my belief, because of the quality I know he has."

Uploads

Martinez: Hoping extensions can be agreed
    WIGAN PLANNING CONTRACT TALKS

Roberto Martinez has confirmed that Wigan plan to hold contract discussions with any player that has entered the final year of their current deal.
    The Latics are keen to retain the services of those currently at the forefront of their first-team plans as they strive for stability and consistency.
    Martinez admits negotiations are soon to be opened, with the club keen to get fresh terms agreed as soon as possible.
    That means the likes of Victor Moses can expect to have new offers put to them in the near future.
    "There are a few players, not just Victor," said Martinez.
    "The most important thing now is to carry on with the stability at the club.
    "We have got a couple of players that are in the final years of their contracts and we are going to start talking with everyone and make sure that everyone knows where they are.
    "We said we want to achieve this season and we want to take things further and I want all the players to know what the next targets are individually in their careers.
    "To do that we need to speak with them and finalise their contracts."

Uploads

Mikael Forssell: Interesting Leeds United
    LEEDS UNITED CLOSE IN ON FORSSELL

Leeds are ready to offer Finnish striker Mikael Forssell the chance to resurrect his career in England.
    The 30-year-old is a free agent after leaving Hannover 96 at the end of last season and recently had a two-week trial with the Yorkshire club.
    The former Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Birmingham striker has returned to Elland Road to discuss a contract after playing in Finland's 2-0 Euro 2012 qualifying defeat to Holland earlier this week.
    "We're negotiating to sign Mikael Forssell. He's a very good player," Leeds chairman Ken Bates told Yorkshire Radio.
    "I had him (at Chelsea) when he made his debut at 17 and scored two goals. He's 30 so he's still young, footballer-wise. He's fit, he's strong, he's big and he wants to play in England.
    "He's turned down a chance to go to Greece and he wants to play for us. We're hoping we can tie that one down."

Uploads

Paulo Sergio: Looking to strengthen
    SERGIO SEEKS REINFORCEMENTS

Hearts manager Paulo Sergio is keen to bring in new players outside the transfer window.
    Hearts brought in midfielder Callum Tapping from Tottenham just before the deadline last week but he has been earmarked for the under-19 squad initially.
    Sergio is yet to add to his first-team squad since replacing Jim Jefferies last month and is keen to do so as he looks to build on three consecutive clean sheets.
    Sergio said: "I'm still looking because I believe we have some positions that we are not safe enough.
    "That doesn't mean I don't trust the players. Barcelona win things every year and they still buy new players.
    "I feel we don't have enough solutions in some specific positions.
    "They have excellent talent and they are working a lot and showing me they are trying to do the things I ask of them. I'm very happy with them."
    Sergio, whose team face Inverness in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League on Saturday, added: "We are making some improvements every weekend. I hope we can continue that at Inverness."

Uploads

Kevin Phillips: Interested Jewell
    JEWELL WANTED KEVIN PHILLIPS

Ipswich boss Paul Jewell revealed he was considering a move for Kevin Phillips before he joined Blackpool in the summer.
    The veteran striker will line up opposite the Tractor Boys this weekend having already bagged four goals in five games this season.
    Jewell had no doubts the 38-year-old could still cut it in the Championship and is disappointed to have missed out on his signature.
    Jewell said: "He's a terrific player, even now he's still performing and he's 38. We actually spoke about bringing him here but Blackpool seemed to tie that one up quite early.
    "He's just a natural goalscorer and even though he's 38 or whatever, he's still got a huge appetite for the game and is a terrific finisher."

Uploads

MOORE BANTAMS LOAN EXTENDED

Leicester defender Liam Moore has extended his loan spell with Bradford until the end of December.
    The 18-year-old has been an ever-present in the Bantams side since he joined them on an initial month-long deal in August.
    The Foxes are keen for Moore to gain more first-team experience and he has been heavily involved in Phil Parkinson's plans at Valley Parade.
    The first-year Foxes professional has played every minute of the eight matches since he arrived at the west Yorkshire club.

Uploads

Luka Modric: Was a target for Chelsea.
    CHELSEA GO COLD ON MODRIC

Andre Villas-Boas does not expect Chelsea to make another bid for Luka Modric in January after failing to land the Tottenham midfielder this summer.
    Spurs' battle to hold onto the Croatia midfielder was one of the sagas of the transfer window, with chairman Daniel Levy reportedly turning down a bid of around 40million as the deadline approached.
    Asked if Chelsea would return to Tottenham with another bid in the New Year, Villas-Boas said: "No I don't think so. The market is closed and I won't speculate what happens in January."
    He also revealed a move for Porto defender Alvaro Pereira failed to materialise because the two clubs could not agree fee.
    "We were very far from meeting Porto's demands for Alvaro. I am happy with Ashley Cole and Ryan Bertrand."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast