Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-09-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 09-09-11

Beckham: Would be welcome back at Tottenham

Harry Redknapp says former England captain David Beckham would be welcome back at Tottenham with "open arms".
    Beckham trained with Spurs at the start of this year during the Major League Soccer off-season and continues to be linked with a return to the Premier League.
    The 36-year-old's contract with Los Angeles Galaxy expires in November and Beckham has yet to decide on his future after previously revealing he feels he can still play at the highest level.
    Queens Park Rangers have been linked with a bid for Beckham, but Redknapp retains an interest in signing the former Manchester United star.
    "If David wants to come to Tottenham I'd welcome him with open arms," Redknapp told The Sun.
    "He's definitely still good enough to play in the Premier League.
    "His game was never about pace so whether he's quick or not isn't an issue.
    "David's unique quality is his use of the ball and his ability to pick out a player with a pinpoint pass. He is unbelievable and still an exceptional talent.
    "I know first hand because we had him here last winter and he was terrific around the place. You couldn't find a nicer fella and a better professional.
    "He's the best example there is for any young player, how he looks after himself, how he trains and how he's stayed an ordinary guy despite his extraordinary success.
    "He is worth his weight in gold, he'd be an asset for any club. I'd have him here, that's for sure.
    "He wouldn't be able to play until the January transfer window opens, though, because we've already lodged our 25 players with the Premier League. But he'd be a great one to have around the club again."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-09-11

Chris Smalling: Wants Old Trafford stay

Chris Smalling wants to stay at Manchester United for the rest of his career.
    Smalling enjoyed a stellar first season at Old Trafford following his arrival from Fulham, playing a significant role in the Red Devils' record 19th Premier League title triumph and their run to the Champions League final.
    This season is shaping up to be even better though.
    Although it is not his preferred position, Smalling started all three league games at right-back as United made a 100% opening to the defence of their crown.
    So well has the 21-year-old performed he was called into Fabio Capello's squad for the recent Euro 2012 qualifiers, and then got catapulted into the England starting line-up ahead of Micah Richards and Phil Jagielka.
    And the good news for United is that Smalling intends hanging around for a long time.
    "I don't look too far ahead but I hope I can really get an established career and stay here for the rest of my life," he told Inside United.
    "I want to get more and more games as my time goes on because I really feel part of this club.
    "I'm really enjoying my football at the minute. The manager has full faith in me and I want to repay that in the years to come."
    Smalling's additional height at full-back should come in handy on Saturday when United head to Bolton.
    Although the Trotters are no longer the abrasive opponents of old, Owen Coyle has retained a tough streak to go with the more stylish football and Sir Alex Ferguson will doubtless think carefully before relying on his rookies as he has done to such fabulous effect so far this season.
    Goalkeeper David de Gea in particular can look forward to a stern test of his abilities, having looked shaky under the high ball at West Brom last month.
    Not that Smalling sees too many problems with someone like Phil Jones, who has also spent the past week on England duty, without getting the chance to make his debut.
    "He doesn't take any nonsense and is strong in the air," said Smalling.
    "He is good on the ball too and plays some great passes, even in training.
    "You can see glimpses of his talent.
    "I am sure fans will soon appreciate his technical ability and grow to love that aspect of his game as the season goes on."

Ross Perry: New deal done

Rangers youngster Ross Perry has signed a new four-year deal with the Scottish champions.
    The 21-year-old put pen to paper on the contract extension on Friday, having made the breakthrough to the first team this season.
    The defender previously had loan spells at Falkirk and Oxford over the last two seasons, but the current campaign has seen Perry given his chance by manager Ally McCoist.
    He came off the bench to make his senior competitive debut as a replacement for the injured Kyle Bartley in last month's 2-0 win at Inverness.
    The young centre-half has since started Clydesdale Bank Premier League games against Motherwell and Aberdeen and made his European bow as a substitute in the Europa League play-off against Maribor.

McCourt: Insists his long-term future is at Celtic

Celtic playmaker Paddy McCourt insists he is not leaving Parkhead after being assured by manager Neil Lennon of his role in the team.
    The Northern Ireland international has consistently been on the fringe of the club's first team and has produced a number of eye-catching displays off the bench.
    It had been suggested that McCourt requested a transfer prior to the window closing last month with Liverpool reportedly keen on his services.
    The 27-year-old insists he is not going anywhere, although he accepts he is now at the stage of his career where he needs to be starting more games.
    However, McCourt, who has appeared twice off the bench in the SPL this season, is fully focused on performing at his best and is not being sidetracked over a possible move.
    "It's rare something would happen to you on transfer deadline day without you knowing so I wasn't going anywhere," he told the Daily Record.
    "Of course signing for Celtic was my dream but, at the end of the day, I want to play more football. That has been at the back of my mind a couple of times but I've spoken to the boss and I'm very much part of his plans.
    "It's obvious anyone would rather play regularly than be on the fringes of the squad for the duration of their contract and I'm no different.
    "I've enjoyed my three years at Celtic but, as much as I love the club and being part of the club, I want to play. If I was to leave it would be with a heavy heart but it isn't going to happen so I'm fully focused on playing for Celtic."
    Meanwhile, the exciting midfielder has refuted talk that he is a lazy or luxury player for Lennon, stating he does more running with the ball than anyone else.
    "I definitely don't think I'm a lazy player," he continued. "If you look at the amount of running I do in a game with the ball I don't think anyone will come close to that.
    "Maybe the defensive side of my game could be better and I'm not going to say I'm the complete player because I'm not. Like any other player I'm better at certain things than others but I don't let what people say about me being a luxury or lazy player bother me."

Emnes: Not for sale

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray insists Marvin Emnes is not for sale following the striker's impressive start to the season.
    Emnes has scored seven goals in as many games after reviving his Boro career following a spell on loan with Swansea last season.
    He was linked with a summer return to the Liberty Stadium before last month signing a new contract to stay at the Riverside until 2015.
    Mowbray has confirmed there was interest in the Dutch forward during the transfer window, but he has no desire to cash in on the 23-year-old.
    "Were there any bids for Marvin? No. Were there any enquiries? There were a few, but the bottom line is he's not for sale," said Mowbray.
    "He's just signed a four-year deal. Marvin's a lovely lad who's enjoying his life here at the moment. He wants to come to training with a smile on his face and if he stays fit and continues his high level of performance he's going to play.
    "I think with Marvin, I don't think it was in my mind really (to sell him) but I think it's good that people enquire about your players.
    "To get to the point where from a year ago, Marvin didn't have a squad number and was sent out on loan to have some pretty decent football clubs enquire about him is great credit to Marvin. But we didn't need to sell.
    "We'll see at the end of the season whether or not Marvin is a goalscoring centre-forward. If he is then no doubt in another 12 months' time if he doesn't match it I'll be asked if he was a flash in the pan.
    "We'll wait and see - I'm sure Marvin will have in his own mind how many goals he wants to score this season."

Walter Smith: Left Rangers in the summer

Rangers captain David Weir insists it is a "tragedy" Walter Smith's vast experience of football is no longer being utilised and claims his old boss still has plenty to offer the game.
    Veteran manager Smith quit the Scottish champions at the end of last season following his second spell at the Ibrox helm.
    He has since hinted he may be willing to return to a role in football if the right opportunity arose and Weir is adamant the 63-year-old's skills should be exploited in some capacity.
    The defender said: "There is definitely a position for him. I don't think he should have gone out of the game, that was my opinion.
    "He's got too much knowledge and too much experience for it not to be utilised in football, wherever it may be.
    "For that resource not to be used by somebody is a tragedy really. The sooner he gets back involved in football the better as far as I'm concerned.
    "I'm sure that won't be too long - if he wants to come back."
    Weir, 41, has refused to call time on his playing career just yet, despite being sidelined since the end of July with a hamstring injury.
    But the centre-half has set his sights on following in the footsteps of Smith by embarking on a career in management when his playing days are over.
    He said: "I definitely want to be involved in football in some way because I've enjoyed it so much and I can't really see myself doing anything else.
    "Hopefully I've gained a bit of experience and knowledge with regards to football and hopefully I can pass that on.
    "Football is difficult, it's a different job going into coaching and management, but I've been able to learn from a lot of good people and work with good people.
    "My priority is still playing and I don't want to get away from that, I want to give that 100% of my effort and do that to the best of my ability for as long as I can.
    "Obviously that won't last forever and, when it does finally finish, I've not got any set guidelines on what I want to do.
    "I just know that I want to be involved in football because I love it so much."

Steed Malbranque: Could play on

Steed Malbranque has not ruled out playing again after one of the most confusing periods of his career.
    The French midfielder left Sunderland this summer and joined Ligue 1 side St Etienne, only to leave last week amid initial reports he needed to care for his ill son.
    Malbranque then moved to deny those rumours, revealing he did not have a son, with St Etienne then confirming he had left the club by mutual consent.
    It was thought his playing days were over as a result, but the 31-year-old has now said he has not yet decided what his next move is going to be.
    "I never said that," he told L'Equipe, referring to suggestions he was retiring.
    "The club said that. I am still hesitant. I cannot put myself in the future."
    With no ill family members to speak of, Malbranque's decision to walk out on Les Verts so soon into his contract remains an unusual one.
    "I did not take pleasure in training. I tried to be happy but I could not," he said.
    He has not ruled out a return to England, where he spent 10 years with Fulham, Tottenham and latterly Sunderland, adding: "England probably suited me better."

David Beckham: Still linked with Tottenham

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has "no idea" whether David Beckham will return to the club this winter.
    Beckham trained with Spurs in January during the Major Soccer League's close season in order to keep fit, and the London club were keen to sign the former England captain on a short-term deal, but negotiations broke down and Beckham returned to his parent club, the Los Angeles Galaxy.
    But Beckham's contract with the Galaxy expires in November and he could decide to come back to England for one last crack at playing in the Barclays Premier League.
    QPR's new owner Tony Fernandes wants to sign the player, but Tottenham would be a much more attractive option for Beckham given that they are able to offer him the chance to play in a team likely to be challenging for a top-five position come the end of the season.
    Redknapp has never hid his admiration for Beckham and admitted this morning that he would "love" to sign the 36-year-old, who moved to the United States in 2007.
    The Spurs boss insisted this afternoon that no talks had been held between the two camps, though, and admitted that any potential signing was a long way off.
    "What are the chances of us signing him? I have no idea," Redknapp said.
    "I'll be honest. I don't have a clue. I wouldn't know the financial situation or what it would take. I have never discussed it with the chairman.
    "Would I like him here? Of course I would.
    "I don't think you would ever say no to David Beckham. He would bring a lot to any club.
    "He came and trained with us last year. He was fantastic to have around the place as a player and as a person.
    "He was a top-class professional and he's the kind of lad you would like around the place. He is someone the young lads look up to and he is a great role model for anybody."
    Luka Modric returned to Tottenham today for the first time since the transfer window closed, ending any chance of him moving to Chelsea, until January at least.
    Redknapp admitted two weeks ago that the protracted transfer saga had taken its toll on the Croatian and the rest of the Spurs squad.
    The Tottenham manager insists he has no qualms about the 25-year-old giving his all for the club for the rest of the season, but thinks the midfield star would be much happier if he had completed his move to Stamford Bridge.
    "I could sit here and say: 'yeah, he's glad he never went to Chelsea, he's glad he didn't get all that money, he is much happier now' (but) I would be talking rubbish," Redknapp said.
    "I don't know how he feels but he is here and we get on with it now."
    Redknapp admitted that he was willing to let the Croatian leave after the player fell out with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy and went public with his request to leave.
    "I had always been brought up with the belief that if you didn't want a player you would move them on and bring someone in who does ," Redknapp added.
    "I was of that opinion in the end. I thought: 'If Luka doesn't want to be here then take 40million and we'll all move on.' But I love him as a player. I'm delighted he's still here."
    Levy succeeded in keeping hold of Modric and supplying Redknapp with two new signings in Scott Parker and Emmanuel Adebayor.
    Redknapp hopes the pair, who will start Saturday's game at Wolves, will be able to give the squad the boost it needs after two humbling defeats.
    "I felt we needed to keep Luka and add to him," Redknapp said.
    "It will give us a big lift having those two here."
    Redknapp revealed that Rafael van der Vaart is making good progress in his recovery from a hamstring tear he suffered against Manchester City.
    The forward has been having treatment on the injury in Holland and Redknapp thinks the player will be back "much quicker" than the six-week period he originally thought he would be out for.
    (reopens) Press Association Sport understands Beckham has not received offers from any clubs and is yet to decide where his future lies.
    The midfielder is keen to continue playing, though, and is thought to be determined to play a part in next year's London Olympics as one of Team GB's three over-23 squad members.
    In the past Beckham has expressed his willingness to return to England despite once claiming he would never play in the Premier League for a club other than boyhood team Manchester United.
    He could opt to remain in the United States, but being close to the watching eye of expected 2012 coach Stuart Pearce would certainly enhance his chances of turning out for the British team.
    Beckham was part of the delegation which won London the right to host the Games in 2005.

Garry Cook: Manchester City exit

Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook has resigned following an investigation into claims he sent an offensive e-mail to the mother of defender Nedum Onuoha.
    The club launched the internal probe earlier this week after it was alleged Cook made light of cancer sufferer Dr Anthonia Onuoha's condition.
    Cook had denied he sent the message and claimed his e-mail had been hacked, possibly by a rogue employee.
    The club, however, have now concluded "there is foundation to Dr Onuoha's allegations" and Cook has admitted to an "error of judgement".
    Cook, whose tenure has been blighted by several public relations gaffes, said: "I am privileged to have held my position at Manchester City Football Club and to have experienced the opportunities that it has presented.
    "The privilege is in part offset however by the significant personal focus which has at times, detracted from the magnificent achievements of those working at the football club.
    "It is that factor, together with my error of judgement in this matter that has prompted me to reach this decision, which I believe is in the best interests of the football club."
    The offending e-mail, which was sent 11 months ago, only came to light this week.
    The message had apparently been intended for City's football administrator Brian Marwood but been sent to Dr Onuoha by mistake.
    Dr Onouha, who was representing her son at the time and was involved in a contract dispute with the club, had emailed Cook prior to that.
    She had written that while she was "ravaged with cancer and ongoing chemotherapy" she was still able to fight on her son's behalf.
    The reply she received, addressed to 'Brian', read: "Ravaged with it! I don't now how you sleep at night. You used to be such a nice man when I worked with you at Nike."
    Dr Onuoha this week said: "When I opened up my emails and saw the message, it was the worst day of my life. Even worse than being diagnosed with cancer."
    Cook apologised on behalf of the club to Dr Onuoha for the e-mail but denied having sent it.
    He said an investigation was being undertaken and that one employee was facing disciplinary action.
    However, after further evidence emerged suggesting the email had originated from Cook's iPad, the board looked into the matter.
    City's statement read: "Manchester City Football Club announce that the board-led review initiated on Monday of this week, as a response to allegations made to the football club, football authorities and a national newspaper by Dr Anthonia Onuoha, has been concluded.
    "As a result, the club can confirm that there is foundation to Dr Onuoha's allegations and the chairman has written to apologise to Dr Onuoha for any distress caused.
    "Following the findings of the review, chief executive officer Garry Cook has offered his resignation, which has been accepted with regret by the board."
    Cook was appointed by previous owner Thaksin Shinawatra in 2008 and remained in position after overseeing the takeover by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan's Abu Dhabi United Group later that year.
    He continued to impress the new owners, steadily guiding the club towards their present position at the top end of the Barclays Premier League, but has occasionally made headlines for negative reasons.
    These included referring to Thaksin, later found guilty of corruption in a Thai court, as a "nice guy" and criticising former player of the year Richard Dunne.
    Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "Garry has made a remarkable contribution to Manchester City Football Club over the past three years.
    "His judgement in this matter should in no way lead to his accomplishments being overlooked.
    "On every level, the club is unrecognisable from the organisation which he inherited and our staff and supporter services, community outreach and commercial activity have seen unparalleled growth under his direction with yet more projects to be realised on the horizon.
    "On behalf of Sheikh Mansour and the board, I would like to thank him for his energy and tireless commitment to serving all those connected with the football club.
    "He will always be welcome at Manchester City."
    City director John MacBeath will fill the role of temporary chief executive officer while a replacement is sought.

Asamoah Gyan: Impressed at Wembley

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce claims "parasites" turned Asamoah Gyan's head with talk of joining one of European football's biggest clubs.
    The 25-year-old striker was the subject of repeated speculation throughout the summer transfer window with rumours of a move to Turkey emerging as the deadline approached.
    Gyan remained on Wearside and the Black Cats insist they did not receive a single offer, and now Bruce has challenged the former Rennes frontman to rediscover the form which made him an instant hit on Wearside.
    The Sunderland boss is convinced the striker has not recovered from the response to his impressive display for Ghana in their 1-1 friendly draw with England at Wembley in March and the publicity that sparked.
    Bruce said: "Since that game at Wembley, all the parasites, as I call them, hover around. People are in his ear constantly trying to engineer a deal for him.
    "Certainly since the England game, when he played at Wembley so well on the night, something has been troubling him.
    "It's very difficult, the constant speculation no matter what you try to quash or quell, and the people around him, the people who want to make a fast buck, shall we say, and it affects him in the end.
    "He was going from Real Madrid to Bayern Munich to Valencia to Atletico Madrid.
    "We have had a discussion with him and he needs now to focus and get himself back on track again and be the Asamoah Gyan we know he is capable of.
    "These things affect these players, and it has affected Asa. I had a conversation with him two days ago to say, 'Look, the window as now closed, Asa. Right, we need to see you back playing again and back the way you know you can play'."
    Gyan has yet to score for Sunderland this season - indeed, the Black Cats have managed only one goal in their four games to date - and he will not end his drought this weekend after being ruled out of Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Chelsea at the Stadium of Light with a hamstring injury suffered on international duty.
    But Bruce will have an in-from striker available after managing to push through a loan deal for Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner, who celebrated his impending arrival in the north-east with a match-winning double for Denmark in midweek.
    Bendtner, who played under the Black Cats manager as a teenager at Birmingham, could go straight into the starting line-up as he attempts to live up to his own claim that he can be one of the best strikers in world football, and that he is worth the bumper pay packet he was awarded at the Emirates Stadium.
    Bruce is hopeful the Dane can do for him this season what Manchester United loanee Danny Welbeck did during the last campaign, and while he knows he may be dealing with a more complex character this time around, he is convinced he has achieved a coup in landing him.
    Bruce said: "As we witnessed in the week, he's a fantastic talent, a very, very good player. He's hard work at times - he will be hard work at times - but he's a big, genuine, honest boy who wants to come and play.
    "I hope he can flourish in the surroundings in which he finds himself, and I think he will.
    "Everybody knows his ability - and he's only 23 now. He has played 150 times for Arsenal and scored 40 goals, near enough, so there's no questioning his ability.
    "He had a bad car crash which shook him up badly. By the sound of it, it was pretty horrific and he was lucky to get out of it.
    "He needed to go and play somewhere. He will play here and hopefully flourish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast