Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 10-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 10-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 10-09-11

Wenger: Did 'nothing stupid'
    NEW SIGNINGS SHOW OUR AMBITION - WENGER

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes the club's deadline-day transfers have shown the squad they mean business again this season.
    Following the sale of captain Cesc Fabregas and playmaker Samir Nasri, big question marks were left over the future direction of the club as they battled past Udinese to qualify for the Champions League amid a nightmare start to their domestic campaign.
    Wenger denies Arsenal's frenzied late transfer swoops were a direct reaction to the 8-2 thrashing at Manchester United.
    However, the Gunners boss accepts the arrivals of South Korea captain Park Chu-young, who is hoping for late visa clearance to play against Swansea on Saturday, Mikel Arteta, Yossi Benayoun, as well as defensive duo Per Mertesacker and Andre Santos will have displayed the club's determination to the likes of captain Robin van Persie.
    "They could be a little bit worried about our ambition because they see big players moving out and not big players coming in," Wenger said.
    "If you look around you when you are a big player, the confidence you gain is as well by when you look who is around you. That is important for a football player."
    Wenger is confident he has added the necessary quality and experience for the battles ahead.
    He said: "I think we kept our head cool.
    "We didn't do anything stupid. What we did made sense on the financial side, the quality of the player and the experience we needed.
    "It is now down to me and to the players to show that I made the right decisions."
    Wenger, however, admits there was "a lot of uncertainty about" over the summer and pre-season, which at times left more questions than answers.
    "It is like in a company. When you are half in and half out, it's not as good as if you're completely in. That happened at the start of the season," he said.
    "In our job, like in any given job, you have to create some collective and you need everybody to be on board and focused on it.
    "Even when you have that, it's difficult to reach that. If you don't have that, it's much more difficult.
    "I must say, Fabregas and Nasri played completely well and respectfully, but they were not completely here."
    The Arsenal manager added: "There was no resentment. There was maybe more, from the players who were here, uncertainty about our potential and about our determination to strengthen the squad.
    "But we have not mastered the timing. I could write a book about the summer. I think it would be quite an interesting one - not because of me but because of all that happened. It was quite unbelievable - and you would see that it was not as easy as it can look from outside."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 10-09-11

Garry Cook: Manchester City exit
    CITY SEARCH FOR COOK'S REPLACEMENT

Manchester City are beginning the search for a new chief executive after Garry Cook paid the price for an "error of judgement".
    Cook resigned from his position at the Etihad Stadium after an internal investigation concluded "there is foundation" in allegations he sent an offensive e-mail to a player's mother.
    Cook appeared to make light of the condition of cancer sufferer Dr Anthonia Onuoha, mother of defender Nedum Onuoha, in a message intended for the club's football administrator Brian Marwood.
    Dr Onuoha, representing her son during a contract dispute, had emailed Cook saying that while she was "ravaged with cancer and ongoing chemotherapy" her mental faculties were still intact.
    The reply she received, apparently by mistake, was addressed to 'Brian', and read: "Ravaged with it! I don't now how you sleep at night. You used to be such a nice man when I worked with you at Nike."
    Cook denied he sent the message and claimed his e-mail had been hacked, possibly by a rogue employee.
    However, after further evidence emerged suggesting the email had originated from Cook's iPad, the board looked into the matter.
    A City statement read: "The club can confirm that there is foundation to Dr Onuoha's allegations and the chairman has written to apologise to Dr Onuoha for any distress caused.
    "Following the findings of the review, chief executive officer Garry Cook has offered his resignation, which has been accepted with regret by the board."
    Cook, whose tenure was blighted by several public relations gaffes, also expressed regret.
    He said: "I am privileged to have held my position at Manchester City Football Club and to have experienced the opportunities that it has presented.
    "The privilege is in part offset however by the significant personal focus which has at times, detracted from the magnificent achievements of those working at the football club.
    "It is that factor, together with my error of judgement in this matter, that has prompted me to reach this decision, which I believe is in the best interests of the football club."
    Cook's previous blunders included referring to City's previous owner Thaksin Shinawatra, who was found guilty of corruption in a Thai court, as a "nice guy", criticising former player of the year Richard Dunne and accusing AC Milan of "bottling it" over the possible sale of Brazil playmaker Kaka to City.
    Despite that, Cook did make a positive impact during his time at City, overseeing the club's rise to become major players on the European stage.
    Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "Garry has made a remarkable contribution to Manchester City Football Club over the past three years.
    "His judgement in this matter should in no way lead to his accomplishments being overlooked."

Uploads

Mohamed Bangura: Joined Celtic
    BANGURA EYES FUTURE MOVE

Celtic new boy Mohamed Bangura has candidly revealed his ambition to win a move to one of Europe's elite leagues after just a year at Parkhead.
    The Sierra Leone striker, 22, signed a four-year deal when he moved from Swedish side AIK Stockholm last month with the fee reportedly 2million.
    Bangura is in line to make his Hoops debut in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Motherwell at Celtic Park this afternoon.
    However, he is keen for his career to progress further than the SPL and hopes a good season in Scotland can attract the attention of clubs in England, Spain and Italy.
    "Coming to Celtic is a good move for me, but I want to reach the top," Bangura told a number of newspapers.
    "That's what I'm working towards and this is a step forward for me. I am still fighting to reach the highest level.
    "To come to Celtic gives me a good feeling because it's another step in my career.
    "I have to work to get to the top. I'm talking about the Spanish league, the English league or maybe the Italian league.
    "If I can do my best here with Celtic then I will see what the future holds.
    'If possible, I could make the next step in one year - if everything goes well and the club is willing, why not?"

Uploads

Mike Ashley: No intention of selling up
    MIKE ASHLEY NOT PLANNING TO SELL

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias has insisted Mike Ashley has no intention of selling the club - unless he is made an offer he cannot refuse.
    The sportswear magnate has twice unsuccessfully tried to offload the business he bought for 134.4million back in May 2007, but has since embarked upon a blueprint to make it self-sufficient, a policy which has not gone down well with his critics.
    Supporters who expected the 35million the Magpies raked in when they sold Andy Carroll to Liverpool in January to be invested in marquee signings this summer have been disappointed, and the strained relationship with the hierarchy has grown ever more toxic.
    However, answering fans' questions submitted by the city's evening newspaper, the Evening Chronicle, Llambias revealed that Ashley, who has invested a total of around 280million in the club, has no plans to sell up.
    He said: "Mike Ashley has no intention of putting the club up for sale. He is still extremely passionate about strengthening the club and making it a real success.
    "We are balancing the books and getting the finances in order, but there's plenty more work to be done and he's committed to doing that for the long-term.
    "That said, it's worth going back to the analogy of the house that's not for sale. If suddenly an incredible offer comes in, he may have to consider it.
    "From time to time we are approached by people claiming to have an interest in buying the club. Our message to them is clear: buy a box for a commitment of five seasons and then we will know you are serious. No-one's taken us up on that offer."
    However, Llambias also hinted that the anger which has been directed at the regime has done little to encourage Ashley to pour more cash into Newcastle.
    He said: "Criticism is part and parcel of the job, abuse is not. This makes life uncomfortable and certainly doesn't make Mike feel more inclined to put his hand once again in his pocket.
    "That's not stubbornness, it's human nature. I think most of us would feel exactly the same."
    Much of the ire from supporters surrounds the club's summer recruitment policy, which saw Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and Joey Barton leave after failing to agree new contracts and seven new signings arrive, but not the striker on whom both manager Alan Pardew and the Toon Army had set their hearts.
    Llambias said: "It was everyone's desire at the club to bring in a striker. We worked hard to make that happen, but ultimately
    couldn't complete a deal that we had hoped to."
    Asked further where the Carroll money had gone, Llambias replied: "We made it clear when we sold Andy that the fee we received would stay in the club, and it has.
    "The money will be spent prudently within the club and on new players as and when we are in a position to do so. We didn't promise to spend all the money in this window.
    "Money will be available going forward, for the right player at the right time. If the club had been able to move on other transfer targets this summer, then more money would have been spent."
    However, Llambias, who revealed that wages will account for around 65 per cent of turnover this season, seven per cent up on last season, confirmed that the days when the Magpies could sign players like Alan Shearer and Michael Owen are over.
    He said: "The days of Newcastle United acquiring 'trophy' signings who command huge salaries for past successes on the pitch are over.
    "Yes, they have generated excitement and anticipation in the past, but ultimately many of them have left the club poorer and with little to show for it in terms of our standing in the league."

Uploads

Asamoah Gyan: On his way
    GYAN SET FOR SUNDERLAND LOAN EXIT

Sunderland striker Asamoah Gyan is set to make a shock season-long loan move to the United Arab Emirates after months of speculation over his future.
    The 25-year-old Ghana international will join Al-Ain after becoming unsettled on Wearside barely a year after his club record 13milion-plus switch from Rennes to the Stadium of Light.
    Al-Ain club made an approach to sign Gyan on a permanent deal earlier this week, but the Black Cats were only prepared to agree a temporary move.
    Manager Steve Bruce said: "Anyone who has seen Asamoah play will know that he hasn't been himself in recent months. This option suits all parties at the present time and the club is well-protected in the deal.
    "Asamoah has three years remaining on his contract and of course my wish would be that he finds his spark again and we see him in red and white stripes next season in the form that first attracted us to him."
    The news comes just a day after Bruce accused "parasites" surrounding Gyan of turning his head after he was linked with a series of clubs in the wake of his goalscoring performance for Ghana against England in March.
    Bruce said: "Since that game at Wembley, all the parasites, as I call them, hover around.
    "People are in his ear constantly trying to engineer a deal for him.
    "Certainly since the England game, when he played at Wembley so well on the night, something has been troubling him.
    "It's very difficult, the constant speculation no matter what you try to quash or quell, and the people around him, the people who want to make a fast buck, shall we say, and it affects him in the end."
    Gyan arrived at the Stadium of Light last summer after starring for his country at the World Cup finals in South Africa, and was a big hit on Wearside, scoring 12 goals.
    However, after being linked with the likes of Tottenham, Real Madrid, Marseille and a series of big-spending Turkish clubs in recent months, he has struggled to rediscover his touch during the early weeks of the new campaign and is yet to open his account.
    His departures comes with Nicklas Bendtner having joined Sunderland on loan from Arsenal for the rest of the season after clinching a deadline-day move.

Uploads

Ledley King: Told that he needs to play
    REDKNAPP WARNING TO KING

Harry Redknapp has told defender Ledley King that is he does not play enough this season, it will be his last year at Tottenham.
    The 30-year-old England international played fewer than 10 league games last season due to his chronic knee problems which have dogged his career.
    And Redknapp insists he will not be able to hand King a new contract unless he is playing more regularly.
    "Ledley's a difficult one," said Redknapp.
    "He has to play this year. I can't go to the chairman and say, 'Give Ledley a contract', if he has only played two games because he isn't going to do that.
    "This is Ledley's big year, he's got to play 20 games or so, really. Ledley needs to put some games in this year to get another contract."

Uploads

Andre-Pierre Gignac: Fulham target
    JOL STILL KEEN ON GIGNAC

Fulham boss Martin Jol has not ruled out another move for Marseille marksman Andre-Pierre Gignac when the transfer window reopens in January.
    The French frontman was a key priority for Jol to bring to Craven Cottage and was close to wrapping up a loan deal on transfer deadline day.
    However the Ligue 1 side pulled out of the deal after missing out on the signing of Juventus striker Amauri.
    Despite the setback, Jol has hinted that he may put in a further bid for the 25-year-old in the New Year.
    "We had the player here and thought we would get him on loan, but Marseille decided they needed him back," he told the Fulham and Hammersmith Chronicle.
    "We have established a good relationship with the player and club, so we will see what happens in the future."

Uploads

Moyes: Says Arteta sale was down to him
    MOYES: ARTETA SALE MY DECISION

Everton boss David Moyes is adamant the sale of Mikel Arteta to Arsenal was his decision.
    The Spanish midfielder joined the Gunners for 10million just hours before the close of the summer transfer window.
    Real Madrid's Dutch winger Royston Drenthe and Argentinian striker Denis Stracqualursi were Moyes' only senior summer signings, both arriving on a season-long loan.
    And Arteta's departure - allied to the lack of signings - have left the club's supporters disillusioned by the lack of investment
    The Toffees boss said: "I make the decisions here, it wasn't the chairman telling me I have to sell.
    "Mikel wanted to play in the Champions League and I owed it to him to give him the opportunity."
    The Scot added: "In the 10 years I've been here, we've finished in the top 10 seven out of 10 times.
    "If people think that Everton should be doing much better than that, they need to be looking at things."
    Fans group Blue Union have sent a letter to chairman Bill Kenwright venting their anger.
    But he told the Daily Mail: "If I didn't think I could make this club successful I wouldn't still be here. I'm not downbeat. I'm 66 but I still think the best is to come. Maybe it's not realistic to keep dreaming, but how can I have a manager like David Moyes and not believe we can win?
    "People complain, they write to the club, write to the Echo, go on the radio and say it's all our fault. And that's what I find bewildering.
    "I don't think you can break into the Champions League without money, either.
    "But you'll never get the perfect world: the fans won't, I won't, the manager won't. But we're supposed to be in this together. Why boo one of our players? Why shout, 'Sack the board'?
    "We live in a world that doesn't trust anymore. The fans want someone, anyone, as long as he's got more money. If people think I don't want to let go, that means I'm being dishonest and it simply isn't true. I've been desperate to find a buyer for four years and I would never do anything to hurt this club."

Uploads

Junior Hoilett: In talks over new contract
    KEAN WANTS HOILETT AGREEMENT

Blackburn boss Steve Kean wants a swift conclusion to Junior Hoilett's ongoing contract negotiations.
    The Canadian forward, 21, originally had an offer placed on the table in July and is believed to be prepared to stay.
    However "little technicalities" have stood in the way of an official agreement, though Kean does not expect any further snags.
    "I think it will be done in the next couple of days," he said in the Lancashire Telegraph on Saturday.
    "It's dragging on a bit now and there are only a couple of little technicalities in it, the broad base of it's agreed.
    "That took quite a while to get there but the boy seems happy and we just want to get it put to bed and get him focused now. "
    Kean is wary of the psychological effects contract negotiations can have on players and indeed support, further adding to his desire to end the saga.
    "It would be good for the supporters," Kean added. "He showed certainly at the end of last season what he can do and I'm anxious that he can put his contract thing behind him, get him signed and get back to that form.
    "Because no doubt if you keep on talking about new contracts it's spinning about somewhere in your head, and we want to get that nailed and put to bed."

Uploads

David Beckham: QPR transfer target
    FERNANDES: BECKHAM NOT PIE IN THE SKY

QPR owner Tony Fernandes believes he can offer David Beckham the "love, care and attention" he requires to fulfil his ambition of captaining Great Britain at next year's Olympics.
    Fernandes is willing to provide Beckham with the route he needs, and to expand his global brand beyond that given his connections in the Far East where the 36-year-old is already a phenomenon.
    The Malaysian entrepreneur believes Beckham has something to prove to himself with one last hurrah in the Barclays Premier League.
    It is understood Fernandes has held talks with Beckham's advisors with regard to a move from Los Angeles Galaxy during the January transfer window.
    The feedback is that Beckham would prefer Spurs or Arsenal if at all possible, although he has not ruled out QPR given Fernandes' long -term vision for the club.
    Fernandes is adamant signing Beckham is not a pie-in-the-sky idea, but a realistic target as he attempts to cement QPR's future in the top flight beyond this season.
    "If you look at the five signings we've made we have brought in people who have something to prove," said Lotus team principal Fernandes, speaking in Monza ahead of Sunday's Italian Grand Prix.
    "Shaun Wright-Phillips still feels he can play for England; Joey Barton has a lot to prove; Anton Ferdinand, missing in action at Sunderland, but back in London, home town, things to prove.
    "Then we've Luke Young who felt he was deserted early by (England manager Fabio) Capello, and (Armand) Traore was never given a chance at Arsenal by (Arsene) Wenger.
    "So we've five new players, and Beckham fits into that mould because he wants to return and captain Britain at the Olympics.
    "Environment, love, care and attention - we can offer that to him.
    "I'm not sure it's for him, and I'm not sure it will fit him in January. Who knows?
    "But I'm an ideas man, and he is an idea. He may not want it, he may want a bigger club. I hear (Spurs manager) Harry Redknapp has said he wants him.
    "Ultimately, (manager) Neil (Warnock) has to feel comfortable, but who knows what can happen in January. We will have to wait and see.
    "They (Beckham's advisors) want to talk because our vision is a long-term one, with lots of things David can do in Asia with me. It's something we have to work at."
    Given his business portfolio - AirAsia, Team Lotus and QPR amongst other things - Fernandes is adamant he is not spreading himself or his resources too thinly.
    "I don't think so. We have a business empire that we're looking to grow, to become a big brand," added Fernandes.
    "Football is huge in my part of the world, much larger than in F1, which of course is a huge global sport.
    "But each business has to stand on its own two feet and be self-sufficient.
    "I have looked at each business and the resources required, and whether we can do it.
    "And a football team and a Formula One team have many ways of collaborating and increasing the pie for each other, so I feel comfortable.
    "The first thing I did when I bought the football club was appoint a CEO, and I don't need to be at each race I've other people to do that job for me.
    "I'm around to give ideas, the big picture stuff. I'm not going to make the car go any faster."