Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 12-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 12-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 12-09-11

Emmanuel Adebayor: Netted on Tottenham debut
    ADEBAYOR: NOTHING TO PROVE TO CITY

Emmanuel Adebayor insists he has nothing to prove to the hierarchy at Manchester City during his loan spell with Tottenham.
    The striker admitted "the love between the club (City) and myself is broke" after scoring on his Spurs debut in Saturday's 2-0 win at Wolves.
    Adebayor looked sharp in what was his first appearance since the final game of last season, when he was on loan at Real Madrid.
    The former Arsenal striker said: "I have nothing to prove to Manchester City. Everyone in this country knows what I am capable of doing.
    "I showed it with Arsenal, I showed it on my debut with Manchester City and I showed that again for Tottenham.
    "Before buying me, City knew what I am capable of doing. But the view of the club has changed when Roberto Mancini came in.
    "I have a huge respect for the man. But now I am playing for Tottenaham and I just have to do my job, to be professional."
    When asked if he may eventually return to City, Adebayor said: "Listen, it is too early to stay but the love between the club and myself is broke.
    "I am here (Tottenham) for a season, and at the end of the season I will still have two more years left of my contract.
    "It's too far away to start thinking about the future. Let's maybe have a chance to talk in April or May and I will decide on my career. At the end of the season I will see what I can do.
    "But what is important to me now is to help this team, which is Tottenham."
    Adebayor is bemused that he is no longer part of City's plans after they spent 25 million to sign him from Arsenal.
    He said: "It is more than strange. I cannot say I am the best in the world when they suddenly say I am not good enough.
    "But I went to Real Madrid and played football and scored a lot of goals. I came back to prove to everyone that I am still a good footballer.
    "But, if you don't allow me train with a professional team there is something wrong there. For me, it's over.
    "I have to take the positives out of it. I have the chance to play for Tottenham now and that's all that matters now."
    Adebayor is delighted to be back playing for the first time in four months.
    He said: "No matter what happened, I always knew one day I would be back on the pitch.
    "I always keep focused in my head and tell myself 'Adebayor, you don't have to give up. No matter what happens, you're a human being.
    "In sport, as in life, it is up and down. I went through a lot of things during my career.
    "I am just delighted to have the chance to now play 90 minutes and to have the trust of the manager (Harry Redknapp) when I go out.
    "It's great for my confidence and I can't ask for anything better than to help the team to their first win of the season."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 12-09-11

Steve Kean: Fighting on
    KEAN CONFIDENT HE'LL REVIVE ROVERS

Blackburn manager Steve Kean insists he is not interested in speculation over his future and instead backed Rovers to flourish.
    Earlier this week reports emerged that a group of fans sent a letter to club owners Venky's asking them to consider his position after losing their first three games of the season.
    Kean travelled to India last week to speak to the owners and on Sunday secured his first point of the campaign, drawing 1-1 with Fulham at Craven Cottage.
    Kean admitted he was pleased to come away from his former club with a point and believes it indicates the future is bright.
    "Speculation in the press has just been speculation in the press, not from within the club," he said.
    "We should have won the game against Everton, and the way we played here showed great spirit.
    "I've got fantastic backing from the owners, and I'm in contact with them every day. They're happy with the way we're playing.
    "We had backing in the window, and have a competitive squad, so we have a squad that will finish in the top half.
    "It's been a slow start, but we should already have had three or four points on the board before this game. We'll stick at it."
    Both sides came into the match on the back of miserable starts to the season and Sunday's share of the spoils did little to lift the spirits of either sets of fans.
    Fulham edged first-half proceedings but fell behind to a moment of magic from Ruben Rochina, who launched an unstoppable 18-yard drive in the 32nd minute.
    The home side equalised six minutes later through Bobby Zamora's own inspired moment and Fulham manager Martin Jol was disappointed that his side could not find a winner.
    "It was frustrating," he said. "It was similar to the [goalless draw] against Villa, especially the second half.
    "We deserved three points from that game and this time it was probably the same.
    "More and more nowadays in football for example you see Liverpool (on Saturday at Stoke) with 70 or 75% possession and still lose the game so that can happen.
    "It is not easy to play in their half and we did that.
    "We tried to do that in the first half but couldn't because we were a bit sloppy in midfield and everybody was bombing forward.
    "And of course the style of this club is to try and play attractive football and in the second half that certainly happened.
    "In the second half I can remember we had eight or nine crosses to the near post.
    "They protected that well, but then we need to come up with good solutions.
    "We needed better finishing. I've heard the phrase that we lacked a cutting edge and maybe today we did."

Uploads

Steve Bruce: Has his players' backing
    BRAMBLE: PLAYERS BACK STEVE BRUCE

Titus Bramble insists Sunderland boss Steve Bruce retains the support of the players following the club's difficult start to the season.
    The Black Cats have yet to win in their opening four Premier League games and were also knocked out of the Carling Cup by Championship side Brighton.
    Bruce's side have lost both matches at the Stadium of Light after following up the derby defeat by Newcastle with a 2-1 reverse against Chelsea.
    A section of fans called for Bruce to be sacked during Saturday's loss following another summer of change in the Black Cats' squad.
    Prior to the game against Chelsea, Bruce also lost Asamoah Gyan to Al-Ain and was critical of the Ghanaian striker's decision to accept a loan move to the United Arab Emirates.
    However, Bramble believes demands for Bruce to be dismissed are unfair and says the players are fully behind their manager.
    "Any time they call for the manager's head, it's unfair," said Bramble. "The manager has made some great signings.
    "He's improved things from last season but it's going to take time to gel. It's not going to happen overnight.
    "The players are all behind the gaffer. We've made some fantastic signings and it is going to take us time to bed in."

Uploads

Feruz: Set for Chelsea switch
    FERUZ AGREES CHELSEA DEAL

Highly-rated Celtic starlet Islam Feruz has agreed to join Chelsea.
    Feruz has just turned 16, but instead of signing a first professional contract at Parkhead he is instead moving south to England.
    The likes of Manchester United, Manchester City, Newcastle and Blackburn have all been linked with the youngsgter but Chelsea have always been leading the chase and they have now secured a deal.
    The Somalian-born forward, who has been capped by Scotland at youth level, has agreed terms with Chelsea and Celtic will be due training compensation.
    "It is a massive step for Islam and for Scottish football," his agent Rui Alves told skysports.com.
    "Now for him personally it is the beginning of a major adventure, he will have to work, work and work and raise his own level.
    "Playing for a top club like Chelsea, where the major word in the squad is quality, will oblige him to show his own quality and deliver his best and convince the staff that he is more than just a major prospect."
    Alves admits that there was little doubt he would join Chelsea after they impressed him so much.
    "The first impression was extraordinary, it is a feeling that the whole club is behind him, they will support him on a daily basis and give him total trust and make him believe," he continued.
    He confirmed that Chelsea fended off interest from around Europe to land Feruz, adding: "It was not just every club in the Premiership but also most big clubs in Europe who were tracking him. He is the one serious player in Scotland at the moment."
    Feruz has been described as the 'Scottish Wayne Rooney' but Alves insists those comparisons are not accurate.
    "Islam is a totally different player than Rooney - he is explosive with an amazing strength and good strike, but due to his speed he can also play on both wings," he said.
    "But like Rooney, Islam doesn't cheat, you won't see him crying on the floor begging for cards or arguing with referees and I believe he will raise his level very, very fast."
    Alves did, though, confirm Feruz will continue to pledge his international allegiance to Scotland and will not forget what Celtic did for him.
    "He is looking forward to starting his career with Chelsea, but he would love to thank Celtic for all they did for him and his parents, he is Scottish and will one day score goals for Scotland."

Uploads

McClaren: Taunted by Southampton fans
    DERBYSHIRE BACKS McCLAREN

Matt Derbyshire believes it is "disgraceful" that Steve McClaren's position as Nottingham Forest manager is already being questioned.
    Former England coach McClaren only took charge at the City Ground in the summer, but has endured a difficult start to his reign.
    McClaren has already quelled rumours that he was considering his future due to a perceived lack of support in the transfer market, while Forest have won only once in six Championship games.
    Saturday's 3-2 defeat away to Southampton saw home fans chant 'You're getting sacked in the morning', but striker Derbyshire feels criticism of McClaren is unjust.
    "The manager is doing a great job at Nottingham Forest and our supporters should get behind him," said Derbyshire.
    "Of course I feel for him. It is disgraceful that his position is coming in for questioning.
    "We are a good group of players here and we will be fine. I really don't know how their fans could sing what they did.
    "We didn't deserve to lose. We were let down because we definitely could have had three penalties."

Uploads

Luka Modric: Should be made 'good offer'
    REDKNAPP EXPECTS MODRIC TALKS

Harry Redknapp expects Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to sit down with Luka Modric and offer the midfielder a new contract.
    Modric was keen to leave Spurs during the transfer window after being the subject of bids from Chelsea, but Levy repeatedly insisted that the Croatia international was not for sale.
    The 25-year-old was affected by the speculation, but Redknapp feels Modric can now focus on playing following the closure of the transfer window.
    Redknapp is also anticipating talks regarding an improved contract for Modric, who is already tied to a long-term deal at White Hart Lane.
    "Luka will just get on with it - the chairman will sit down and discuss his contract and make a deal," said Redknapp.
    "We are looking to make him a good offer. The transfer window being shut now makes my job easier because he has to just get on with playing."
    Redknapp also confirmed that Giovani dos Santos rejected the opportunity to join Udinese in the summer as he was holding out for a move to Sevilla.
    Dos Santos recently revealed he was disappointed and angry that he failed to secure a switch to Sevilla, but appeared as a late substitute in the victory at Wolves.
    "Gio wanted to move but we couldn't let him go," said Redknapp.
    "We had a 13m offer from Udinese with 10m down and the rest in do-able bonuses with a big sell-on, but he wouldn't go.
    "He wanted to go to Seville who were offering around 3m. You can't blame the chairman for not letting him go. Gio is a talent with a big part to play.
    "Only him and Luka are here now out of the lads who wanted to leave."

Uploads

Defoe: Anxious over continued speculation
    DEFOE: MODRIC TALKS WILL CONTINUE

Jermain Defoe has admitted it was inevitable speculation over the future of Luka Modric would return to dog Tottenham once the transfer window reopens.
    Modric was at the centre of one of the biggest transfer sagas of the summer, with Chelsea seeing at least three bids rejected for the wantaway Spurs playmaker, the last reportedly valued at 40million.
    The speculation drove Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp to distraction, causing him to brand the pre-season as his worst ever in management.
    And striker Defoe on Monday warned of more misery to come in January, telling talkSPORT: "There's always speculation - it's part and parcel of the game - and it will start again in January."
    Modric was desperate to join Chelsea and accused Spurs chairman Daniel Levy of reneging on a promise to let him leave.
    Team-mate Defoe added: "We just wanted the window to close, and he's here now and that's that.
    "He's just got to be professional. You can't go into games sulking because you'll get found out and let the team down.
    "But Luka's a good professional and, if you didn't know there was speculation about him going and you saw him about the place, you'd never know.
    "He's been good. In pre-season, maybe other players would have said, 'I've got an injury and I don't want to play', but he didn't do that and I don't think there's many players who would have done that.
    "Chelsea's a massive club and there was an opportunity for him but it didn't happen and now he's got to get on with playing football because he's a big player for us."

Uploads

Cole: Subject of late bid from Galatasaray
    SAM UNHAPPY WITH CARLTON COLE BID

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has slammed the transfer window after fighting off a late bid from Galatasaray for Carlton Cole.
    Galatasaray tabled a bid for Cole last week with the Turkish transfer window staying open until last Monday rather than August 31.
    Allardyce was actually in Spain taking a break during the international schedule when Gala made their bid.
    The Hammers boss is unhappy with the way the transfer window works, feeling it is unfair that other countries have more time to do their business.
    "Certainly when I finished the window and had signed Henri Lansbury, David Bentley and Guy Demel I was absolutely delighted," said Allardyce
    "I was sitting in Spain, sipping a glass of sangria, thinking, 'well, I might enjoy a paella' then ping, ring, ring, ping, email, call, email, call and 48 hours of sheer hell really just fighting off the fact that the Galatasaray bid was not something that we should do.
    "I don't want to detract too much from the result we've had against Portsmouth because Carlton Cole's played a major part in that, but this ridiculous opportunity for other countries to be allowed an extra few days is beyond belief for me."

Uploads

Rory Fallon: Must lower demands
    DONS WON'T BREAK BANK FOR FALLON

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown has insisted he will not break the bank to sign striker Rory Fallon.
    The Dons failed to fire in a dismal goalless draw with Hibernian over the weekend, but Brown says the 29-year-old New Zealand international will have to lower his wage demands if he is to boost the club's strike options.
    The former Scotland manager said: "Rory won't be back up to Aberdeen unless we can agree terms."

Uploads

Priskin: Determined to leave Ipswich
    PRISKIN PLANS IPSWICH EXIT

Tamas Priskin has admitted he is hoping to leave Ipswich after growing frustrated with his lack of first-team opportunities.
    The 24-year-old has yet to feature this season for Town after finding himself out of favour under Paul Jewell.
    Priskin's only action this season has been a substitute's appearance for Hungary in their recent Euro 2012 qualifier against Sweden and the former Watford man believes he has no choice but to leave Portman Road.
    "I enjoy my role at the Hungarian national team, I gave an assist against Sweden but my situation is not like this at Ipswich," Priskin told Hungarian daily Nemzeti Sport.
    "I don't think I'll be in the squad in our next game and I'm sure I won't play.
    "Simply, they don't rely on me. I don't get the chance from Paul Jewell, I'm in his bad books.
    "Fortunately my contract will expire in 2012 so I can sign to anywhere next summer. I'm sure this is my last season here, I don't want to stay.
    "It would be great to go on loan to a team where I can play regularly, this would be the most important thing for me at the moment. Then I'll see in January, I'll go to another club if I get the possibility."
    Priskin, who spent the back end of last season on loan at Swansea, has played down talk linking him with a possible return to the Premier League new boys, insisting he has not had any offers from Brendan Rodgers' side.
    "I would like to stay abroad. Germany or Holland are attractive for me but the country and the football I really like is here in England.
    "I like and I got used to this atmosphere, it would be a dream to play in the Premier League again. I've heard that I had been linked with Swansea but I hadn't received a concrete offer - but they bought two strikers, this is so simple."