Editor ©RapidTVNews | 12-09-2011

At its renowned awards ceremony marking innovation and excellence at Europe’s leading broadcast trade show, the IBC has recognised Sir David Attenborough, CNN and CNBC for their respective contributions to the industry.

The UK broadcasting legend was handed the International Honour for Excellence, the highest award IBC bestows, in recognition of what it calls a ‘remarkable career’.

Noting just what Sir David has contributed to TV since joining the BBC as a trainee television director in 1952, the IBC noted his most recent successful project with Atlantic Productions, Flying Monsters 3D, which was released to critical acclaim around the world.

“Throughout my career I have used the best technology available to explain the wonders of the natural world,” Sir David said. “I have worked with the best people in the business, including the BBC Natural History Unit and now Atlantic Productions, and some extraordinarily patient and skilled cameramen and directors. Making wildlife television – whether it was Zoo Quest in the 1950s or Flying Monsters today – is hugely collaborative … I know that IBC encourages and develops collaborations between programme-makers and technologists, which makes this award particularly special. Thank you, IBC.”

Further key awards saw CNBC win an IBC 2011 Innovation Award in the category of Content Creation, and CNN for Content Management. The Innovation Awards are handed to broadcasters or production companies that are seen to have the vision to implement the latest technology to deliver the quality, creativity and accessibility that their viewers and listeners expect.

The American financial news broadcaster was rewarded for creating an enhanced viewer experience by allowing direct interaction between the presenter and the 3D graphics environment. Using the latest developments in motion tracking made it practical for presenters to call on graphics, and walk around them, in real time, in everyday news television broadcasts - a world first.

In its category, the IBC said that CNN had long led innovation in news-gathering, and lauded the news operation for a location-independent production strategy that transitioned the firm from being forced to do work close to the point of acquisition. Instead, CNN produced a system whereby metadata is captured close to origination and a common user experience means that staff can move freely between geographies, channels and programmes.