Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 14-09-11

Redknapp: No contact over England post
    REDKNAPP - NO ENGLAND TALKS

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has denied he has held talks with a view to becoming the next England boss.
    Reports over the weekend suggested the Football Association was ready to dismiss Fabio Capello following the abject display against Wales, which in fact took England to within a point of qualifying for Euro 2012.
    Capello is set to step down regardless after the finals in Poland and Ukraine next summer, if England qualify, and Spurs chief Redknapp is thought to be the leading candidate as a successor.
    The former West Ham, Portsmouth and Southampton boss has made little secret of his interest in managing England, but he has denied he has already discussed the role with FA officials.
    He said in the London Evening Standard: "Until I get offered the job I wouldn't have a decision to make, but at the moment I haven't spoken to anybody about being England manager.
    "I want to see England do well, I want Capello to get them to the Euros and I want them to win it.
    "And if they win it under Capello, I definitely won't get it."
    Redknapp's immediate focus is instead on Tottenham, who are preparing to host Liverpool in the Premier League on Sunday lunchtime.
    He said: "I love doing what I'm doing. I enjoy my job at Tottenham. I'm lucky to be managing a top club, a great club, and I love it."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-09-11

Craig Whyte: 'Business as usual'
    WHYTE DISMISSES INSOLVENCY CONCERNS

Rangers owner Craig Whyte has hit out at claims relating to the solvency of the club and insists it is "business as usual" at Ibrox.
    The Glasgow side were told by a judge on Tuesday they should set aside a sum of money to prepare for the event that former chief executive Martin Bain wins a claim of unfair dismissal against them.
    Judge Lord Hodge reportedly froze 480,000 of Rangers' cash at a hearing at the Court of Session in Edinburgh and said there was a "real and substantial risk of insolvency" if the club were to lose its battle with the taxman.
    Rangers are involved in two separate cases with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, both relating to payments made before Whyte took over as owner from Sir David Murray in May.
    The club have not paid a 2.8million tax bill which first emerged in April relating to payments made to staff from 1999 to 2003, but they are believed to be disputing a fine that goes with it.
    And an ongoing tax tribunal, which could reportedly could cost the club up to 49million, will resume in November.
    Concerns over the club's solvency were also raised in the Court of Session in Edinburgh on Friday by Glasgow law firm Levy and McRae, who took action to secure payment of a 35,000 bill.
    In a statement on Wednesday, Whyte said: "On behalf of the board of directors at Rangers I believe it is right and proper to inform our supporters of the true financial position of the club in the wake of the recent publicity, much of it generated with the sole intention of damaging this great football club.
    "First, the board would like to make it absolutely clear that, at Ibrox, it is business as usual. The club is trading normally and has a strong balance sheet.
    "The board finds it reprehensible that the law courts have been used in recent days to suggest the club is on the brink of insolvency. It is not.
    "At the Court of Session yesterday during a hearing instigated by the former chief executive, Martin Bain, and his lawyers, the Judge, Lord Hodge, confirmed what has been already reported - that the club will face potentially serious consequences should the HMRC tax tribunal find against the club and recommend the imposition of an unmanageable liability.
    "At this point the club's advice from tax advisors has been that the club has a good chance of succeeding in the tribunal but it would be wholly irresponsible not to consider the potential consequences for the club should the decision be made against us.
    "No-one can say with 100% certainty at this stage what the outcome will be - that is why there is a tribunal. I can say categorically that we will be fighting the club's case most vigorously.
    "We at the club note that during yesterday's legal proceedings there was no mention of the fact that this potential liability from HMRC came to the fore on the watch of the previous regime.
    "As chairman, I find it breathtaking that the former chief executive, who was in post when this issue emerged, has now sought fit to seek legal protection from its potential consequences.
    "Much was made in court yesterday of the club's dispute with the legal firm Levy & McRae yet no mention was made of the fact the club had raised a complaint with the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission with regard to a potential conflict of interest.
    "Levy & McRae had acted for Rangers FC on many occasions and the club felt it was inappropriate for them to subsequently act against the club on behalf of the former chief executive. That matter is now with the Law Society of Scotland."
    Whyte assured supporters he will endeavour to ensure continuing success at the club despite warning of tough times ahead for Rangers.
    He added: "As I explained publicly earlier this week, Rangers FC faces challenging times ahead - as do many football clubs.
    "The current costs of the club against existing and potential revenue streams make it imperative the club operates within its means. There can be very few businesses today that are not taking this outlook on life.
    "This club has a great history and a great future - but we will have to work hard to achieve it.
    "It is a great privilege to be the chairman of Rangers Football Club and I will do everything I can to ensure our team and supporters enjoy continuing success in the future.
    "The focus of all of us with Rangers at heart is this weekend's Old Firm game and I'm sure I speak for every Rangers fan in wishing Ally McCoist and the team the very best for Sunday."

Uploads

Tate: New four-year deal
    TATE SIGNS NEW SWANS DEAL

Swansea defender Alan Tate has signed a new four-year contract with the Liberty Stadium club.
    Tate is currently sidelined after breaking his leg in a golf buggy accident 10 days' ago, and is expected to be out of action for up to six months.
    The 28-year-old joined the Swans from Manchester United on loan during the 2002-03 campaign, before joining permanently in 2004.
    He has since gone on to make over 300 appearances for the club and was glad to secure his future in south Wales, despite his injury absence.
    He told the club website: "I'm delighted to sign the contract because is shows the club have a lot of faith in me.
    "It will take me well into my 30s and who knows what will happen beyond that, although obviously I would like to stay even longer.
    "It will depend on injuries and form, but I would love to finish my career at Swansea and, with a bit of luck, I hope that could happen.
    "We've been talking about a contract for a while. The injury delayed things a bit. I was meant to sign before I got injured, but then it got put on the backburner.
    "Then it was deadline day, which held things up again, but the new contract was never under threat because of the injury.
    "The club could see it was an unfortunate accident which no-one could have expected."
    Tate is the latest in a long line of Swansea players to commit their futures to the Premier League newboys with Neil Taylor, Garry Monk, Joe Allen, Angel Rangel, Nathan Dyer, Ashley Williams and Andrea Orlandi among those to pen new deals.

Uploads

Kuszczak: Angry at his treatment
    KUSZCZAK UNHAPPY WITH MAN UNITED

Tomasz Kuszczak says he is 'angry and disappointed' at the way he has been treated by Manchester United after failing to secure a summer move.
    The Poland international goalkeeper had been hoping to leave the Red Devils during the close season in search of regular first-team football.
    Kuszczak has made just 61 appearances during five years at Old Trafford and is now third choice behind new arrival David de Gea and Anders Lindegaard.
    The 29-year-old was linked with a return to former club West Bromwich Albion and had expressed an interest in staying in England.
    However, Kuszczak claims United wanted a 4million transfer fee and he is unhappy that he was unable to clinch a transfer before the window closed last month.
    "I am angry and disappointed with the way I am treated," said Kuszczak in The Sun.
    "I had a few good offers. The problem was the club who wanted to sell me for 4m."

Uploads

Krasic: Has been linked with Chelsea and Man Utd
    KRASIC HAPPY AT JUVENTUS

Milos Krasic's agent has again dismissed suggestions the winger could leave Juventus after he was linked with a January move to the Premier League.
    The Serbia international has regularly been mooted as a target for Chelsea and was reportedly wanted by the Blues as part of Juve's interest in Alex before the transfer window shut.
    Reports in Italy claim Premier League champions Manchester United have now joined Chelsea in holding an interest in Krasic and are weighing up a New Year swoop.
    However, the 26-year-old's representative Marko Naletilic says Juve have no intention of selling and that Krasic is happy at the Serie A club.
    "These are absurd rumours," Naletilic told notiziariosportivo.com.
    "Milos feels really good at Juventus and the club have no plans to sell him.
    "I don't understand how these rumours which have no foundation can grow.
    "He is now preparing for the game against Siena as, against Parma, he was not ready because of injury."

Uploads

Subotic: Linked with Chelsea for several months
    SUBOTIC MAINTAINS PL AMBITION

Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic has reiterated his interest in playing in the Premier League in the future.
    The Serbia international centre-back, who faced Arsenal in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night, has long been linked with a move to Chelsea.
    Defending Bundesliga champions Dortmund spent the summer insisting they would not sell Subotic and they are under no pressure because the player is under contract until June 2014.
    But the 22-year-old former Mainz man has made it clear he would like to challenge himself in England's top flight in the future.
    Subotic told Sky Deutschland television: "I am under contract at Borussia Dortmund and I am happy to be here.
    "Anyway, a dream of mine is still to play in the Premiership. One day in the future, I want to try myself out in that competition."
    Dortmund rescued a late point against Arsenal on Tuesday, as Ivan Perisic's wonderful volley cancelled out a Robin van Persie opener which came as a result of a mistake by Dortmund captain Sebastian Kehl.
    Subotic said of playing in the Champions League: "This is a very strong competition and we will be giving our very best.
    "But we have to know that every little error will be punished."

Uploads

Cotterill: Looking elsewhere
    COTTERILL TO SWITCH TARGETS

Portsmouth manager Steve Cotterill is being forced to switch targets after missing out on the loan signing of a Premier League player.
    Cotterill is keen to improve his squad and has been linked with Aston Villa's Chris Herd and Stoke City defender Ryan Shotton.
    However, his intended target is now part of his current club's plans and Cotterill will now look around for alternative options.
    "We've made zero progress now (on a signing)," said Cotterill.
    "There is one I wanted because we can afford only one more. That would be a loan. The one I wanted could play right-back, centre-back, centre-midfield, right-wing and up front.
    "I don't think he will regurgitate now until the transfer window.
    "The Premier League club are going to keep him - which is a disappointment. If I was them I'd keep him there, too.
    "I didn't know about that one until Monday night. They are going to keep him there.
    "Now we are going to have to look at things again.
    "What you have to bear in mind is we have a budget to work to. If you have a budget for a Mercedes, you don't shop in Rolls Royce.
    "We are trying to shop where we can shop because that's what has to happen. We have one cake and we're trying to get what we can out of that cake."

Uploads

Kermorgant: Has joined Charlton on a two-year deal
    CHARLTON SIGN KERMORGANT

Charlton Athletic have completed the signing of former Leicester City forward Yann Kermorgant on a two-year contract.
    It was revealed on Tuesday that the Addicks were set to add Kermorgant to their squad following his recent departure from Leicester.
    The Championship club cancelled the final year of the 29-year-old's contract after he spent last season back in his native France with Arles-Avignon.
    He becomes Charlton boss Chris Powell's 19th signing since the end of last season and is looking forward to making an impact at The Valley.
    "I had a number of offers from clubs in France, but during my time at Leicester City, I had an excellent relationship with Chris Powell," Kermorgant told the club's official website.
    "Once I met Chris, and discussed his style of play and his ambitions for the club, I felt that Charlton is going to be an exciting place to be over the next few years, and I want to be a part of it."