Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 15-09-11

Berbatov: Attitude is spot on, says Ferguson
    BERBATOV WILL FEATURE - FERGUSON

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has promised record signing Dimitar Berbatov he will get games this season despite being left on the bench for Wednesday night's 1-1 draw with Benfica.
    Berbatov has made just one appearance this season, coming on as a second-half substitute in United's opening Premier League match at West Brom.
    Wednesday's Champions League encounter at the Stadium of Light seemed like the perfect opportunity for Berbatov to return, especially as Anders Lindegaard, Antonio Valencia and Darren Fletcher all made their first appearances of the season.
    Instead, the 30.75million Bulgarian, who shared the Golden Boot prize with Carlos Tevez last season, remained where he was as Ferguson went with Wayne Rooney as a lone striker before introducing Javier Hernandez later on.
    "It is hard because of the number of strikers we have," Ferguson said. "Michael Owen is there, Federico Macheda, Mame Biram Diouf. Danny Welbeck won't be back next week but probably the week after. It is not easy.
    "Dimitar has been training terrific. His attitude is spot on. He will get his game time as the season wears on. There is no question about that."
    After all the talk of youngsters at Old Trafford in recent weeks, United needed an intervention from old stager Ryan Giggs to grab a point.
    Trailing to Oscar Cardozo's impressive strike and outplayed for long periods, United were thankful for Giggs' 27th Champions League goal, 17 years to the day since his first.
    The Welshman has now scored in 16 seasons of the competition, another record.
    Ferguson was also thankful for a fine display from Lindegaard, even if regular goalkeeper David de Gea is already assured of his spot for Sunday's showdown with Chelsea.
    "We have two great goalkeepers," Ferguson said on Wednesday.
    "We were always going to share it and David will play on Sunday against Chelsea and possibly Anders will play at Leeds next Tuesday, depending upon how we see the situation with Ben Amos, who needs some game time also.
    "There are opportunities to spread the load. The English league is so frenetic. Coming into that, as a young goalkeeper, there will be times when we can give him (De Gea) a break.
    "Tonight was a good moment because he had a fantastic game on Saturday."
    Ferguson is clearly sensitive to criticism of De Gea though, judging by the way he attacked ITV post-match interviewer Kelly Cates when she asked whether Lindegaard had given him a selection dilemma.
    "I don't know why you ask these questions, you're just looking for stupid little things," Ferguson snapped, re-opening a feud with the Dalglish family that dates back to the very early days of his near 25-year reign at United, when Liverpool, under Cates' father Kenny, were top dogs.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-09-11

Harry Redknapp: Heavily linked with England job
    ENGLAND A 'POISONED CHALICE' - REDKNAPP

Harry Redknapp admits the England manager's job is a "poisoned chalice" and insists he has not been approached by the Football Association about taking over from Fabio Capello after Euro 2012.
    Redknapp is the bookmakers' favourite to replace Capello when the Italian's contract expires next summer.
    Redknapp's stock has risen remarkably since taking charge at Spurs, dragging the Londoners from the relegation zone to a Champions League quarter-final place during his three-year spell at the helm.
    And while Redknapp would gladly take the England job, he also admits the position does have its drawbacks.
    Asked whether the job is a poisoned chalice, Redknapp said: "Yes. (But) It would be difficult for any Englishman to turn the job down.
    "I'm not pushing myself for the job; whoever gets offered the job, if they're an Englishman it would be hard to say no because it's your country."
    Reports recently claimed that the FA even wanted Redknapp to take over from Capello before Euro 2012.
    However, the Spurs boss is adamant that he has had no contact from the FA and insists he has never spoken to Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy about it.
    "I haven't heard nothing from anybody so I'll just get on with my job and see what happens," said Redknapp ahead of Spurs' Europa League clash against PAOK Salonika on Thursday night.
    "You never know what happens in this game do you? You never know what's just around the corner.
    "I've never discussed anything with Daniel about England. There are plenty of other boys about who could do the job. We'll see how we go."
    Redknapp will make 10 changes to his side on Thursday from the one that beat Wolves 2-0 on Saturday.
    With one eye on Sunday's league game against Liverpool, the 64-year-old has left the likes of Luka Modric, Scott Parker, Gareth Bale and Emmanuel Adebayor at home.
    That means youngsters Yago Falque, Jake Livermore, Andros Townsend and Tom Carroll are likely to be given a chance to impress in what is expected to be a white-hot atmosphere generated by PAOK's fanatical support.
    Redknapp has always made it clear he puts the Premier League ahead of Europe and recently described Thursday night's game as a "nuisance".
    But he insists that he is not disrespecting the competition, pointing to Spurs' mounting injury list and the importance of Sunday's game as the reason why he has left so many players in London.
    "It's not a case of prioritising a game, it's just (using) what I have got," Redknapp said.
    "I couldn't bring players out here, play them on Thursday night and play the same group against Liverpool.
    "If I get a few injuries I have no back up. I have nine senior, very, very good players who are injured.
    "Some of them have played two international games so I wanted to change the team around. I have done that. I have not been able to use the strong group I have for this first game because they're not fit."
    One player who will start tomorrow is goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes. The Brazilian was Redknapp's number one last season but has not been on the bench for the last three games thanks to the form of new signing Brad Friedel and the re-emergence of Carlo Cudicini.
    Gomes has been linked with a return to former club PSV, but Redknapp added: "I think he does have a future with Tottenham.
    "He's obviously upset he's been left out. It's been difficult. I brought Brad in, there's competition for places and I just decided to go with Brad. It was my gut feeling."

Uploads

Benayoun: Always expected to leave Chelsea
    BENAYOUN: NO DEADLINE DAY PANIC

Yossi Benayoun says he always expected his future to be decided on the final day of the transfer window and has revealed he held talks with former club Liverpool before joining Arsenal on loan.
    The Israeli midfielder linked up with the Gunners on a season-long deal from Chelsea on deadline day as Arsene Wenger sought to fill the void created by the sales of Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas.
    Benayoun, who only joined Chelsea from Liverpool in 2010, has dismissed suggestions that he was a panic signing for Wenger in response to the 8-2 thrashing by Manchester United.
    The 31-year-old was being chased by several clubs and says the reason for the seemingly dramatic nature of his signing was that he had to wait for Chelsea to secure a replacement before he would be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge.
    "The media thought it was dramatic, but I knew it would go to the last day," said Benayoun, who started his first game for Arsenal in the UEFA Champions League draw with Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday.
    "There was an agreement between me and Chelsea that we would wait until then because they wanted to bring in another player - either [Raul] Meireles or [Luka] Modric.
    "I first heard about the interest from Arsenal eight days before the end of the window and when I knew they wanted me it was an easy choice.
    "I had a few good options from clubs in England and outside. There was a few talks with Liverpool. A few teams but as soon as I heard about Arsenal my mind was made up.
    "Deadline day was calm for me. I flew in from Israel in the morning, from the national team, and knew it was going to happen."
    Benayoun was satisfied with Arsenal's result in Dortmund and is now hoping to take the performance into Saturday's Premier League game against Blackburn Rovers.
    He added: "I think it was a good start for us in the competition. We were unlucky because they scored a lovely goal at the end, but we need to be happy with the point.
    "We had a good performance and hopefully we can take confidence from this and build for Blackburn.
    "I want to improve my understanding with the team but I think there's plenty of quality in this team so we'll quickly understand each other and be better."

Uploads

Rory Fallon: Two-year Aberdeen deal
    ABERDEEN SIGN UP FALLON

Aberdeen have completed the signing of New Zealand striker Rory Fallon.
    The 29-year-old has signed a two-year deal with the Dons and could make his debut against Kilmarnock this weekend.
    Fallon, who was a free agent after leaving Yeovil, was also linked with Doncaster and Bristol Rovers.
    Aberdeen have found the back of the net just twice in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League so far this season and the forward will be in contention for Saturday's game at Pittodrie subject to international clearance.

Uploads

TRIBUNAL SETTLES CRESSWELL FEE

Ipswich must pay an initial sum of 240,000 to Tranmere for the services of Aaron Cresswell, a tribunal panel decided on Wednesday.
    Rovers will be entitled to a further 280,000, making the overall fee rise to 520,000, depending on appearances and promotion.
    The Wirral club will be paid 45,000 for every 15 times Cresswell turns out for his new club, up until a total of 60 appearances, while 100,000 will change hands if Ipswich are promoted to the Premier League either this season or next.
    In addition, Tranmere will receive 20% of any money Ipswich receive for Cresswell.
    Rovers chairman Peter Johnson said: "Although it didn't meet our expectations I am pleased with the result of the tribunal.
    "Aaron Cresswell is the sort of player who will fulfil their requirements and no doubt appear in the 60 games we need to maximise the additional income."

Uploads

Gomes: Slipped down the pecking order at Spurs this season
    GOMES STILL HAS A FUTURE WITH SPURS

Heurelho Gomes has been assured that he does have a future at Tottenham despite Brad Friedel taking over as Harry Redknapp's No.1.
    The eccentric Brazilian has even lost his place on the bench in recent weeks with Carlo Cudicini preferred as back-up to summer arrival Friedel.
    Gomes will be given the opportunity to prove a point to his manager when he starts the Europa League Group A clash with PAOK Salonika, with Redknapp making a host of changes.
    And the Spurs boss believes the shot-stopper, who was signed for 7.8million from PSV Eindhoven in the summer of 2008, still has a role to play at White Hart Lane, despite being linked with a return to his former club.
    Redknapp said: "I think he does have a future with Tottenham.
    "He's obviously upset he's been left out. It's been difficult. I brought Brad in, there's competition for places and I just decided to go with Brad. It was my gut feeling."
    Redknapp will make 10 changes to his side on Thursday from the one that beat Wolves 2-0 on Saturday.
    With one eye on Sunday's league game against Liverpool, the 64-year-old has left Luka Modric, Scott Parker, Gareth Bale and Emmanuel Adebayor at home.
    That means youngsters Yago Falque, Jake Livermore, Andros Townsend and Tom Carroll are likely to be given a chance to impress in what is expected to be a white-hot atmosphere generated by PAOK's fanatical support.
    "It's not a case of prioritising a game, it's just (using) what I have got," Redknapp said.
    "I couldn't bring players out here, play them on Thursday night and play the same group against Liverpool.
    "If I get a few injuries I have no back up. I have nine senior, very, very good players who are injured.
    "Some of them have played two international games so I wanted to change the team around. I have done that. I have not been able to use the strong group I have for this first game because they're not fit."

Uploads

Boyd: Would be sold for the right price
    BOYD COULD LEAVE - FRY

Peterborough would be prepared to let George Boyd leave London Road should they receive a suitable offer, according to director of football Barry Fry.
    Chairman Darragh MacAnthony confirmed in August that Posh had rejected an offer from an unnamed club for the 25-year-old winger.
    Boyd, whose contract runs until 2013, has been instrumental in helping Peterborough to a run of three promotions in four years. But Fry admits the club will not stand in Boyd's way should their valuation of the player be met in the January transfer window.
    "George Boyd was actually our best player when we were in the Championship last time, scoring 13 goals as we were ultimately relegated," Fry told Sky Sports. "He signed a new contract this time last year and the chairman promised him that we wouldn't stand in his way if a club came in for him whether we went up or not.
    "At the minute the bids that we've had have fallen well short of our valuation for him. We hope they continue to do so but he has had a good start to the season, which could trigger more interest in January.
    "If we get acceptable bids then we will unfortunately keep our word and let him talk to the club in question, but if not then we will gladly have him as part of our squad."

Uploads

Eriksson: More money to spend
    SVEN GETS CASH PROMISE

Leicester manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has been assured he will be given more money to spend in January should he wish to add to his squad.
    The Swede brought in 12 new players over the summer, reportedly spending in the region of 15million.
    The club's Thai owners expect Eriksson to guide Leicester to promotion this season but the Foxes have made an indifferent start to the campaign and sit 10th in the Championship after collecting eight points from the opening six games.
    Apichet Raksriaksorn, son of City owner and chairman Vichai Raksriaksorn, told the Leicester Mercury: "Sven has all the say on what and who he wants. He has assembled a strong squad and signed some quality players and I believe it will be a successful and exciting season.
    "However, if he feels he needs to add to it, we will back him during the next transfer window with whatever funds and resources he needs."
    Apichet Raksriaksorn added: "I expect us to challenge for the Championship title and be in the Premier League next season. If we can't get up to the top tier soon, at least within the next few seasons, we will view that as a big failure. For me, it will be very disappointing if it doesn't happen this season."

Uploads

John Brayford: Linked with West Brom
    CLOUGH: BRAYFORD IS GOING NOWHERE

Derby manager Nigel Clough insists John Brayford is part of the the club's long-term future, amid reports that West Brom are planning a January swoop for the defender.
    Premier League Albion have been linked with a 3million bid for Brayford when the transfer window reopens.
    The 23-year-old signed a new three-year contract with the Rams over the summer and Clough insists he is not looking to sell.
    Responding to the speculation, Clough said: "Are they? Is that all, 3million? We are looking to build with young players throughout the squad and John is part of that.
    "When you get players like John who come into the Championship for the first time, people watch them for a season and wonder 'can they do it again, was it a fluke?'. I think the way John has started in the first six games this season suggests he can do it again."
    Brayford joined Derby from Crewe just over a year ago, arriving at Pride Park along with Alex midfielder James Bailey in a joint deal worth around 800,000.

Uploads

Steve Kean: Under pressure
    BLACKBURN FANS WANT KEAN OUT

Blackburn fans are planning a 1000-strong march on Saturday to ask for the removal of Steve Kean as manager.
    Since Kean took over from Sam Allardyce, Blackburn have played 33 league games and picked up just 23 points.
    They are currently bottom of the Premier League with just one point ahead of Saturday's lunchtime clash with Arsenal.
    Fans have launched an online petition and plan to march to Ewood Park, demanding owners Venky's sack Kean.
    It is thought that they will also demand the re-instatement of Mark Hughes, who is jobless since leaving Fulham this summer.
    Organiser Glen Mullan told the Daily Mirror: "The numbers look like hitting the 1,000 mark so the fans are keen to have Steve Kean removed.
    "It's going to be a peaceful march, but we want to make our point and there will be banners made. It's about time the owners listened to the fans.
    "We want someone who is experienced and can relate to the fans."