Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-09-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 18-09-11

Anelka: In the final year of his contract

Manager Andre Villas-Boas has admitted Nicolas Anelka looks certain to leave Chelsea at the end of the season.
    Anelka is in the final year of his contract and Villas-Boas has revealed the striker has indicated he is prepared to run down his current deal.
    The former France international turns 33 in March and his future at Chelsea looked under threat when Carlo Ancelotti was sacked as manager during the summer.
    But Anelka has impressed under new boss Villas-Boas, being selected ahead of Fernando Torres for last weekend's Barclays Premier League win at Sunderland and shining as a substitute in Tuesday night's Champions League victory over Bayer Leverkusen.
    It would be no surprise to see him recalled for Sunday's crunch Premier League clash at Manchester United, but when asked if Anelka's performances might see him offered a new contract, Villas-Boas said: "It might not be the player's expectancy to renew.
    "Nico as a person is very, very happy, he belongs to Chelsea in the last year of his contract, performing.
    "We will make our efforts for him to renew but Nico has his own decision to make and I am not sure he will be willing."
    Pressed on whether the player had indicated he wanted to leave, Villas-Boas replied: "Yes."
    Uncertainty also remains about the future of Didier Drogba, who has been offered a deal to replace the one that expires next summer.
    Chelsea have yet to reach an agreement with the Ivory Coast striker and must hope to do so before the end of the year to prevent him having the option of signing a pre-contract with another club in January.
    Villas-Boas refused to discuss details of the impasse, saying: "I would not like to share it with you as you would speculate with it for the rest of the season."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-09-11

Adebayor: Spoke to Mourinho about his Spurs switch

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed Jose Mourinho advised him to join Tottenham.
    The 27-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Mourinho's Real Madrid after falling out of favour at Manchester City.
    Despite a successful stint in Spain, Real did not make their deal for Adebayor permanent and he has since joined Tottenham for the season.
    The Togolese striker revealed Mourinho was thwarted in his attempts to sign him during the summer and eventually urged him to join Harry Redknapp's side.
    "I had discussion with Mourinho about the move," Adebayor said.
    "He told me 'you have to think of your career and if you have a chance to go to Spurs go out there, score goals and enjoy yourself again on the football pitch'.
    "He is a good manager and I have always had respect for that man.
    "Even when I came to Tottenham when I was sleeping I got a message from him.
    "It is always nice to have a message from Jose Mourinho. He is a nice person and wish him the best of luck in Madrid this season.
    "Hopefully he will achieve his target, which is to win the Champions League and the league."
    When asked whether a permanent move to Spain was ever in the offing, he responded: "I get on very well Mourinho but Madrid is one of the biggest clubs in the world.
    "Politically it is always difficult. There is not just one man deciding.
    "If it was just Mourinho, for sure I would be in Madrid now.
    "I am happy with what I did last season and he can ask [to sign me], but he cannot make the decision.
    "We have been in contact throughout all the holidays and he gave me the go ahead to go to Tottenham and I am very happy to be here today."
    Mourinho and Redknapp's friendship is well documented and Adebayor believes the pair share similar managerial traits.
    "I would say Harry [is similar] to Mourinho because of the way he treats players and gives you confidence," he said.
    "When I went to Madrid that is what I got.
    "That sensation when Mourinho said: 'Adebayor we know you are creative, we know what you can do on the football pitch' and he said 'go out there and enjoy yourself - I cannot tell go left or go round because you know what to do on the football pitch.'
    "I had the same discussion with Harry and he told me the same thing.
    "For me as a footballer, that is what I need."
    Adebayor was not only philosophical about his time at the Santiago Bernabeu but also the abuse he received from Tottenham fans in the past.
    The Lome-born player has been the subject of abusive chants due to his time at north London rivals Arsenal, which came to a head during the Champions League quarter-final earlier this year.
    "For me it is forgiven," he said.
    "You know, if I didn't forgive anybody, trust me, I would not be wearing the Tottenham shirt today.
    "When I am not happy, I can't just keep it inside and I will just say it.
    "For me, signing for the club and what happened in the Champions League quarter-finals is over.
    "Tottenham reached that stage and once again it is Adebayor taking them out so it is normal that they are not happy.
    "But you know, at the end of the day, it is football.
    "The fans are passionate about it and sometimes it is difficult for a player to take, but we just have to.
    "We all have mistakes one day and we all have to learn from it.
    "I am a footballer, that is my job, and to be honest you feel like you have been a little bit abused.
    "But at the end of the day we know how it is, how fans react sometimes and I take it in a positive way.
    "When I was at Madrid I said last season that I would come to Tottenham, forgetting about what they have been singing.
    "They were upset because I was scoring goals but now I play for them.
    "We have to love each other, walk in the same direction and that is what I am here for now."

Sergio Aguero: Great start at Manchester City

Roberto Mancini has rubbished rumours that Sergio Aguero could move from Manchester City to Real Madrid at the end of the season.
    The striker has proved a massive hit after joining City in a 38m summer switch from Atletico Madrid.
    But speculation persists that Aguero wants to play for Real and only joined City as a stepping stone as Atletico will never sell to their fierce city rivals.
    But Mancini says the Argentina ace is going nowhere as he has a five-year contract with the Premier League big-spenders.
    The City boss told the Sunday Express: "It will be difficult for him to join Real Madrid because he has signed a five-year contract. I don't think this will happen."
    Meanwhile, Mancini is delighted to be featuring in the Champions League but has hit out as City are scheduled to play away after all their group games, while rivals Manchester United will play at home.
    He added: "It was important that we qualified straight into the Champions League, and since then we have brought in more good players. I am happy because we are playing well.
    "I don't know what the Premier League can do (about City playing away after their Champions League games).
    "But it is definitely better to play at home rather than away after the Champions League. OK, United have an advantage.
    "After playing in the Champions League you need to recover. But if you are flying back from a game and then have to travel in the Premier League it becomes tough to recover. You can't train, you can only rest.
    "We are happy to be in the Champions League but when you play every three days in the Premier League, the Champions League or the FA Cup it can get very, very hard."

Peter Reid: Sacked as Plymouth boss

Peter Reid has been sacked as Plymouth manager after the stricken club's miserable start to the new League Two season.
    The financially-crippled Pilgrims, who remain in administration and are hoping a new buyer can be found, have picked up just one point from nine outings.
    Reid took the helm at Home Park last year, but the club were plunged into administration soon after, docked 10 points as a result and ultimately relegated from League One.
    Acting chairman Peter Ridsdale was keen to salute the efforts of the former Manchester City, Sunderland, Leeds and Coventry boss, but felt that a change of direction was the only solution given their dismal results this season.
    "Peter joined Argyle as manager at the beginning of the 2010-11 season and inherited an unsustainable wage bill and a club that with the benefit of hindsight was in financial meltdown," a statement from Ridsdale on the club's official website read.
    "During the last 15 months Peter has been the ultimate professional and has gone about his duties without complaining and has had to cope with more in a short period of time than most managers have to put up with in a whole career.
    "Ultimately however, whatever the challenges, football is a results business and Argyle sit bottom of the Football League with only one point out of 27.
    "It is crucial that we give ourselves time to attempt to preserve Football League status and therefore it is felt that a change of manager now is the only option.
    "Peter leaves with our unreserved thanks for his contribution in helping keep the club alive during this turbulent period and he leaves with our very best wishes for the future.
    The club are yet to appoint a caretaker to lead the squad, but plan to make a further announcement on an interim appointment in the next 24 hours.

Wayne Bridge: No West Ham return imminent

Sam Allardyce says he will not be making a bid to take defender Wayne Bridge back to West Ham on loan.
    The 31-year-old Manchester City player was not named in Roberto Mancini's 25-man Premier League squad and the Italian has intimated he would be happy for Bridge to join a Championship club for the rest of the season.
    The former England defender has been strongly linked with a move back to London after spending time on loan at Upton Park last season.
    He was also linked with moves to Newcastle and Celtic before the transfer window closed.
    But Allardyce admits he's been delighted with the four players he has managed to sign during the summer and has now confirmed he won't be bringing Bridge back to the club.
    He told The People: "We are full up now. We have filled our squad with all the players we need for the time being and we have a squad that is good and has strength in depth."

Michael Oenning: Backed

Hamburg coach Michael Oenning has once again been given assurances about his job, despite Saturday's fourth defeat in a row which leaves the club rooted to the foot of the Bundesliga.
    A 1-0 reverse at home to Borussia Monchengladbach means Hamburg are already four points adrift of safety, but the club's director of sport Frank Arnesen says Oenning will still be in charge for their next game at Stuttgart.
    "We have a game against Stuttgart on Friday and Michael Oenning will be sitting with me and the team in the plane on the way to Stuttgart and on the way back again," he told Sky television.
    Both Arnesen and Oenning had practically promised a win to the fans before yesterday's match, but after showing progress in last weekend's 2-0 defeat to Werder Bremen they took a huge step backwards at the HSV-Arena.
    "I am incredibly disappointed," admitted Oenning. "I am also annoyed because we have lost a game that we desperately wanted to win and because we have once again made a mess of an easily defendable situation.
    "Just when we had started to put on the pressure - that is catastrophic because we have lost an important game."
    Monchengladbach's second away win of the season, after beating Bayern Munich on the opening day of the campaign, took them into a share of top spot with Werder Bremen and delighted their coach Lucien Favre.
    "After our second half, it was thoroughly deserved," he said.
    "It could and should have been 3-0. We wanted to get at least a point, but we have taken three and we absolutely deserve them."

Steve Kean: Smiling after win against Arsenal

Venkatesh Rao is relieved Blackburn registered their first league win of the season and insists the board always had faith in Steve Kean.
    The Rovers co-owner gave under-fire manager Kean a vote of confidence ahead of Saturday's clash against Arsenal, which also saw a fans' protest against the boss.
    The Ewood Park outfit responded to the pressure by securing a thrilling 4-3 victory over the Gunners to haul themselves off the foot of the table.
    Welcoming the win, Rao told Sky Sports News: "Wonderful, it's a relief and not only for the club but I would say it is for the fans.
    "The most important thing is for the fans, who are really happy and if they're happy, I'm really happy."
    Rao was seen embracing his brother Balaji at the end of the crucial clash and asked if this was out of a sense of relief, he replied: "No, I think more than relief it was joy and happiness."
    Rao added he had spoken to Kean in the morning before the game and the manager was confident his side could win.
    "We all had a positive attitude and we were looking very positive, the entire club. I think the club and the fans, at the end of the day, were quite happy and how can I say, if they are happy, we are happy."
    He added they always had faith in Kean's ability.
    "We have not doubted his ability at all," he said. "We would like to congratulate him."