Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-09-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 19-09-11

Luka Modric: Helped Spurs beat Liverpool

Harry Redknapp wants Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to start talks with Luka Modric over a new contract after the Croatian scored a blistering opener in the club's 4-0 win over Liverpool on Sunday.
    Modric was at the centre of one of the most protracted transfer sagas of the summer, with Spurs refusing to sell their star playmaker to Chelsea despite the Blues offering 40million for the player.
    Modric himself made it clear he wanted to move to Stamford Bridge but now appears to be keen to knuckle down for Tottenham for the rest of the season.
    The 26-year-old had refused to play at Manchester United before the transfer window closed as Redknapp revealed the midfielder's focus had been affected by Chelsea's interest.
    The diminutive star looked back to his best on Sunday with an energetic performance that also included the goal of the game - a thundering 20-yard strike which set Spurs on their way to the hammering against Kenny Dalglish's team, who ended the match with nine men.
    Redknapp is convinced Modric has moved on from the saga and wants Levy to offer him a new deal now to help keep him at White Hart Lane.
    "Luka is fine now, he's just getting on with it. I think the chairman will sit down with him and discuss his contract.
    "That's what I'd like to happen," Redknapp said.
    "The chairman has said he would give it six or seven weeks, sit down and have a chat with him.
    "It was a great strike. That's why we were offered 40million for him, because he's a top player."
    Spurs were a class apart from their Champions League qualification rivals on Sunday but were helped by the red cards referee Mike Jones handed out to Charlie Adam and Martin Skrtel.
    Adam was sent off after 32 minutes for two bookings - the second a flying tackle on Scott Parker - and Skrtel followed in the second half when he earned a second yellow for hacking Gareth Bale down from behind just inside the Liverpool half.
    Spurs used their numerical superiority to their advantage by wrapping up the win with an Emmanuel Adebayor double and Jermain Defoe's third of the season.
    Reds manager Kenny Dalglish met referees chief Mike Riley last Tuesday after complaining about not being given two penalties in last week's loss at Stoke.
    After that meeting, Dalglish insisted he and his players would not criticise match officials and he held true to his word on Sunday. "It's better to just leave it," Dalglish said when asked about the red cards.
    "We will just stick to (talking about) what we can dictate. We cannot dictate interpretation (of the rules) in any way shape or form.
    "It's best left unsaid because it takes away from a magnificent performance by Tottenham.
    "You can talk about anyone being undisciplined but we have a very good record for discipline.
    "My players did not surround the referee to complain at the decisions. That means we don't have a disciplinary problem."
    Dalglish hopes to have captain Steven Gerrard back for Wednesday's Carling Cup game against Brighton but may be without Daniel Agger for a while after revealing he suffered a rib injury which caused him to come off in the first half.
    Redknapp, meanwhile, revealed that Niko Kranjcar picked up a hamstring injury.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-09-11

Roberto Mancini: Wants more players

Manchester City's three-year spending spree may be fast approaching 400million, but that did not stop Roberto Mancini suggesting he needed even more players after watching his side surrender their 100% start to the Barclays Premier League season.
    City blew the chance to open a top-flight campaign with five straight victories when Fulham came from 2-0 down to draw Sunday's clash at Craven Cottage.
    The result was the first blow to the visitors' title hopes and, coming four days after they made their Champions League bow, it cast doubt on their ability to cope with the twin demands of domestic and European football.
    And manager Mancini bemoaned his inability to rest the likes of Yaya Toure and Gareth Barry with James Milner and Nigel De Jong currently sidelined through injury.
    Asked if that meant he did not have enough players, he added: "We are lacking at this moment because we lost two midfielders.
    "I don't have players at the moment. I can only change the full-backs.
    "I have only two midfielders, because James and De Jong have injuries."
    Mancini also appeared to admit his players lacked the mentality of champions after watching them waste numerous chances to kill off opponents for the third time in eight days.
    "What team comes here against Fulham in London and has over 70% of ball possession?" he added.
    "We had the same problem against Wigan at home. We had 15 chances in the first half and we scored only one goal.
    "It doesn't always go well if you don't score, if you don't close the game."
    Mancini was unhappy with the way his star-studded attackers defended, too, accusing them of shirking their responsibilities.
    "For 10 minutes, we defended with five or six players. It is not good enough," he said.
    "I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed because we conceded two stupid goals."
    Those were scored by Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy after Sergio Aguero continued his sensational start to life in England with the seventh and eighth goals of his five-game Premier League career.
    Fulham should have been even more tired than their opponents, having had 24 hours less of a rest after their Europa League game.
    But after a lethargic first half, they were full of beans in the second, fighting back to haul themselves off the foot of the table.
    Manager Martin Jol, who is still searching for his first league win in charge, admitted being bottom had been "awful".
    He added: "We played two away games and had to play in Europe as well so it wasn't easy, but you have to win your home games.
    "Luckily enough, for now, we are 18th. It looks better."

Ledley King: Wants to keep playing

Ledley King is confident that this season will not be his last at Tottenham.
    King, who joined Tottenham in 1998, is in the final year of his contract and manager Harry Redknapp says the defender must play at least 20 games to earn an extension.
    If his recent history with injuries is anything to go by, he may struggle to hit that mark.
    King has been troubled by injury throughout his career and rarely trains with the Tottenham squad as his knees swell up after every game.
    The defender's chances of playing a full season last year looked good when he began Spurs' campaign without any problems until he suffered a groin injury that meant he played just nine out of Tottenham's 53 games.
    The 30-year-old underwent an operation on his troublesome knee this summer in a bid to make sure that he would get a full campaign under his belt but he missed the first two league games before returning to star in the club's 2-0 win at Wolves last week.
    King, who was rested for the Europa League game at PAOK Salonika, wants to put his last year's injury "nightmare" behind him and is sure will get enough game time under his belt to earn a new deal.
    "Is 20 games a realistic target? Yes, I aim to play as many as I can," King told the London Evening Standard.
    "Last season I started with a niggly groin problem, played the first few games and then came off against Fulham with a torn groin muscle.
    "From then, every time I tried to come back I kept having a problem with the groin.
    "It was a nightmare situation trying to get it right, so I worked over the summer trying to get it right and coming into this season it feels a lot better. "It's just a case of getting back to concentrating on looking after the knee now and hopefully nothing else will pop out of the woodwork. "If I can just manage the knee, there is no reason I can't play quite regularly."
    When fit, Redknapp regards King as one of the best defenders in the league. The Spurs boss is serious when he talks of the fans' favourite needing 20 games to win a new deal, though.
    Last season Jonathan Woodgate, another popular figure, was released after he failed to overcome his injury woes. That does not make King afraid of his future, however.
    He said: "I don't feel the need to speak to anyone about it at the moment. I'll try to let my football do the talking. If I can stay fit and play the games, the situation will take care of its self."
    Redknapp said after the 5-1 hammering against Manchester City that the summer transfer saga concerning Luka Modric and Chelsea had left a bad atmosphere around the club.
    He is now convinced that cloud has lifted after the transfer window closed and he was able to shuffle his pack by offloading several fringe players and signing Scott Parker and Emmanuel Adebayor.
    King has been impressed with Parker and Adebayor and believes their arrival has freshened up a squad that was in danger of going stale.
    "There was a lot of speculation pre-season, a lot of players not knowing whether they were coming or going so it was a little bit strange," King said.
    "Scotty and Emmanuel have different qualities to the players we've let go, so it's something fresh.
    "We needed to freshen up a little bit. We'd played with the same group of players for a while and it was important to bring some fresh faces in to give us something different."
    With Parker and Adebayor in their ranks, King sees no reason why Spurs cannot regain the Champions League spot they lost last year.
    "Having had the taste of it and doing so well in the tournament, the players felt like we belonged there so there is no reason why we shouldn't be striving for that again," he added.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Linked with Blackburn

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will not be leaving Molde for Blackburn, according to the Norwegian club.
    The former Manchester United striker was given his first job in first-team management in January and has steered Molde to a six-point lead in the Norwegian top flight with seven league games to play.
    Solskjaer has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Steve Kean, who answered his critics with a 4-3 win over Arsenal at the weekend.
    But a Molde spokesman told talkSPORT: "These rumours will not let Ole Gunnar Solskjaer lose focus in the run-in for the Norwegian League.
    "Ole thrives at Molde with his players. He has an agreement for another two-and-a-half years and these years will be spent with Molde."

Junior Hoilett: Contract talks ongoing

Blackburn manager Steve Kean claims the club are "getting there" on a deal to tie Junior Hoilett to a new long-term contract.
    On September 1, Kean said they were "24 hours" away from wrapping up a new deal for the youngster, whose current agreement expires at the end of the season.
    However, since then progress has been slow but Kean is adamant it will be completed.
    "We are getting there very slowly," he said.
    "I believe the term has been agreed and his base salary has been agreed. It is the smaller detail which can be slow but the main things have been agreed."
    Canada-born Hoilett, who has been at Rovers since he was 14, has emerged as one of the club's leading players in the last 12 months.
    He enjoyed an impressive end to last season and Kean is eager to ensure the 21-year-old is tied down to a long contract so he will not leave next summer.

Didier Deschamps: 'Not threatened'

Marseille president Vincent Labrune has handed coach Didier Deschamps a vote of confidence despite the south coast giants slipping to the foot of the Ligue 1 table for the first time in six years over the weekend.
    OM have yet to win this season, claiming just three points from their opening six games.
    Sunday night's 2-0 defeat at Lyon was the latest in a string of setbacks but Labrune was quick to stand behind the former France midfielder.
    He told La Provence newspaper: "No, [he] is not threatened. He has the keys here for a long time.
    "We have to bounce back and those who love OM must support him and show their solidarity in these difficult moments.
    "Didier Deschamps retains our confidence."
    Marseille sporting director Jose Anigo believes the players must take responsibility and turn around the club's fortunes.
    Anigo said: "The important thing is the position late in the season. But today we are bottom and it's not pleasant.
    "I have a heavy heart and am as disappointed as the players in the dressing room.
    "We must bounce back to restore confidence. It is up to the players, they have the keys to unlocking the problem."
    Despite the defeat - which came courtesy of goals from Bafetimbi Gomis and Michel Bastos - Marseille's performance was encouraging and with some better finishing they could have come away from the Stade Gerland with at least a point.
    But Deschamps did not hide from the fact his team were struggling.
    He said: "It's a big blow, everyone is aware of the situation, we do not make excuses.
    "The priority is Evian, to get points because having three points in six games is not nearly enough.
    "We must join forces, show character and personality.
    "There are times in a season or a career where it's difficult. We are all aware but should not drop our heads.
    "This is life and we must do everything to reverse this trend."

Neymar: Reported to have had Real medical

Neymar has refuted claims that he is set to sign an agreement with Real Madrid after having a medical.
    Reports in both Brazil and Spain claim Real put Neymar through tests over the weekend, with a view to signing a contract that would see him joining in the summer of 2012.
    There have been pictures of Madrid's head of medical services Carlos Diez landing in Sao Paolo, where he was reported to have overseen a medical test.
    But Neymar, speaking after Santos' win over Corinthians on Sunday, says no deal is done.
    "I have been sold around 30 times already," he told Lancenet.
    There is no truth in those rumours. I am a Santos player and I will stay here for the club's centenary."
    He also confirmed that he had been to hospital but for personal reasons only, adding: "I went to the hospital to solve a personal problem. The rumours are just speculation. There is no deal at all."
    Over the weekend, his agent Wagner Ribeiro did confirm that Real was the preferred destination over the likes of Barcelona and Chelsea, who had also been linked with his client.
    Ribeiro told Transamerica: "If he was my son, I would take him to play at Real Madrid.
    "That is the best option to play in Europe, because the president of Real Madrid is already rich and runs the club with passion, and I cannot say the same about Barcelona's president.
    "AC Milan was interested, but they said they could not pay €45million.
    "Anzhi Makhachkala also wanted to sign Neymar, but that is an ideal club for players who are older than 35. For example, Jucilei, who went to play there, is no longer remembered and is not an option for the Brazil national team anymore."

McClaren: Still looking to strengthen

Steve McClaren has admitted he has been frustrated at Nottingham Forest "every day since the first day I came here".
    The Reds have stumbled out of the blocks this season, with just one win in seven leaving them languishing inside the Championship relegation zone.
    Pre-season talk of promotion pushes and high-profile arrivals appears to have been wide of the mark, with performances falling well short of the standards set at the City Ground in recent years.
    A 2-1 defeat to arch-rivals Derby on Saturday saw Forest hit a new low for the 2011/12 campaign, with McClaren admitting afterwards that his side are not good enough at the moment.
    It is his job to address that issue, but he has once again pointed out that he can only achieve so much with his hands tied in the transfer market.
    "Frustrating is a good word. I have been frustrated every day since the first day I came here," McClaren said in the Nottingham Evening Post.
    "Yes, it is a tradition that this club has a slow start (in recent years). But we have already highlighted the reasons why that has happened in the past.
    "We have not addressed that this season (with new signings) and now the club has had another slow start. It is now affecting everyone.
    "New faces lift the spirits at clubs. The last one was Ishmael Miller, I can't remember when that was now. We have been trying to add to that, but without success.
    "We have been trying to get things done (in the loan market). But the quality of player who might make a difference; the quality of player we want, is either not available or too expensive for us.
    "When you lose nine players and replace them with five, you will be short. But we need players who can make a difference and the kind of quality we are after is sometimes not available or there can be other reasons why we cannot get them.
    "But that is not an excuse for the performance of the team against Derby. We accept responsibility for that. I accept responsibility for that.
    "That is the key thing. We must not let this happen again."

Michael Oenning: Axed

Hamburg have sacked coach Michael Oenning with the club languishing at the foot of the Bundesliga.
    Hamburg have taken just one point from their opening six games with the latest defeat coming on Saturday at home to Borussia Monchengladbach.
    Oenning's dismissal comes just a day after he was given a vote of confidence by the club's sporting director Frank Arnesen.
    Arnesen said today: "Over the past two days after the 1-0 defeat against Moenchengladbach and after lots of intense discussion, we have come to the conclusion that we had to make that decision.
    "We will now work hard to find a successor to Michael Oenning."
    Reserve team boss Rodolfo Cardoso will take over on an interim basis.
    Oenning said: "It is understandable for me that the club, given the current situation, would like to go in a different direction."
    Hamburg were busy in the transfer market over the summer, replacing established players like Ruud van Nistelrooy, Ze Roberto, Eljero Elia, Piotr Trochowski and Joris Mathijsen with a host of untried youngsters.
    In came the likes of Michael Mancienne, Jeffrey Bruma and Slobodan Rajkovic - all from Arnesen's former club Chelsea - but the changes have not had the desired effect.
    A 3-1 defeat at defending champions Borussia Dortmund on the opening weekend set the tone and a 5-0 thrashing at Bayern Munich followed a fortnight later.
    Home defeats to Cologne and, at the weekend, Monchengladbach proved the final straw.

Gerard Houllier: Still recuperating

Gerard Houllier is unlikely to return to management after revealing he was still only "85%" recovered from his latest heart scare.
    Houllier was forced to quit Aston Villa after only one season in charge after being admitted to hospital in April suffering from chest pains.
    The 63-year-old, who underwent open-heart surgery lasting 11 hours while in charge of Liverpool back in 2001, admitted he was still not right five months after his second setback.
    "I've got to admit the fact that, probably, I won't go back into management," he told talkSPORT.
    "I'm practically 85%. I'm still getting there. I need maybe a couple of months.
    "It was the dissection of the descending aorta and it was probably not as urgent but it's a bad thing."
    Revealing his problem was "genetic", he added: "Obviously, the profession that I used to have was not the best to keep in good health because of what I have."
    Houllier, who will limit his involvement in football to working as a television pundit, endured a difficult season at Villa, amid suggestions of player and fan unrest.
    Striker Gabriel Agbonlahor claimed last week he would have quit the club had the Frenchman and assistant Gary McAllister remained in charge, criticising the latter's approach to training.
    Houllier leapt to the defence of the Scot, saying: "I was a bit surprised that one of the players was having a go at his training sessions.
    "Because, truly, he is a modern, very up-to-date and very good coach.
    "In fact, some players really improved. We could see some progress in Ashley Young and Stewart Downing in the way they played and the way they even increased their technical abilities."
    Manchester United and Liverpool swooped for Young and Downing respectively this summer, with the former playing a starring role in his new club's best ever start to a Barclays Premier League season and helping put England on the brink of European Championship qualification.
    Houllier said: "He's a Champions League-level type of player. He works hard, he can really do the job offensive-wise but also when he has defensive duty, he does it."
    Downing has also impressed for club and and country, although Liverpool's bright start has been spoilt by back-to-back defeats at Stoke and Tottenham.
    Houllier said: "I think they'll finish in the top four.
    "I believe in them. Don't forget Steven Gerrard is not playing and, when he comes back, he'll make a difference."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast