Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 22-09-11

Cech: Suffered a knock against Fulham
    PETR CECH INJURY FEARS ALLAYED

Andre Villas-Boas was confident Chelsea had avoided a goalkeeping crisis, despite Petr Cech needing hospital treatment after Wednesday night's dramatic Carling Cup victory over Fulham.
    Cech was forced off at half-time of the third-round tie at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday after suffering a head injury in a collision with Orlando Sa.
    Chelsea were already without understudy Hilario, meaning losing Cech left them with Ross Turnbull as their only recognised first-team goalkeeper.
    But after Turnbull helped his side to Wednesday night's controversial 4-3 penalty shootout win, Blues boss Villas-Boas revealed Cech had been given the all clear.
    "Petr went for a scan in the hospital and he's okay," he said.
    "He felt a little bit dizzy from the early concussion at half-time.
    "We decided, and he decided as well, it was better not to take risks."
    Cech could be forgiven for playing it safe.
    The 29-year-old became the first high-profile goalkeeper to wear protective headgear in all matches after suffering a fractured skull in a sickening collision with Stephen Hunt at Reading five years ago.
    He also watched team-mate Didier Drogba knocked clean out by Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy almost four weeks ago, with the striker only fit enough on Wednesday night for a place on the bench.
    Villas-Boas had planned to bring Drogba on but was forced to think again, with Cech's injury part of a triple blow for Chelsea either side of half-time.
    The first befell Daniel Sturridge, who hurt himself netting a disallowed goal shortly before the break.
    Revealing the striker had a knee problem, Villas-Boas added: "The ligaments are okay.
    "If he misses one (game), it won't be more than that."
    The final calamity occurred less than two minutes after the break, with Alex sent off for bringing down Kerim Frei.
    It meant Chelsea ended up playing more than 70 minutes with 10 men.
    Villas-Boas said: "We thought by that time that, as the game was going on, if we really had to go into extra-time, we could be struggling physically.
    "These players who played, a couple of them don't have enough minutes.
    "Straight away, you're going into a 120-minutes situation, which is a lot for the body.
    "That's why the win is special, because they were able to cope with it."
    Chelsea's victory was all the more remarkable considering Fulham also missed a penalty in normal time and they arguably were denied another spot-kick before the most dramatic of shootouts.
    Frank Lampard and Mousa Dembele both had efforts saved before Bryan Ruiz stepped up for Fulham's fifth, which he crashed against the crossbar and possible down over the line.
    It was not given and replays were inconclusive as to whether or not the ball was in.
    Fulham boss Martin Jol said: "To be fair, I haven't seen it.
    "Somebody was standing in front of me."
    Villas-Boas, who began the week by complaining to referees' chief Mike Riley about the officials' performance in Chelsea's defeat at Manchester United on Sunday added: "Everybody was looking at each other wondering if it was celebration time.
    "The linesman was there so maybe, this time, the decision is good."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-09-11

Wayne Bridge: Linked with Championship loan move
    NO WAYNE BRIDGE NEWS FROM MANCINI

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is unsure if any Championship clubs have made offers to take Wayne Bridge on loan.
    The 31-year-old started in the 2-0 Carling Cup victory over Birmingham on Wednesday night but Mancini admitted after the game it will be a big ask for his fringe players to enjoy first-team games on a regular basis.
    The Italian revealed earlier this month that he thought a spell in the Championship would do Bridge good but he doesn't know if there have been any developments.
    "I don't know," he told reporters when asked if there have been any offers to sign the left-back on loan.
    "I say always that all the players who are here are good players and good guys.
    "It is difficult for them to play often but tonight him and Nedum (Onuoha) played very well."

Uploads

Craig Brown: Won't walk away
    FUTURE IMPERFECT FOR BROWN

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown admits he has to wait see if the Dons board and fans will keep faith with him following the club's humiliating Scottish Communities League Cup defeat by East Fife.
    The home side needed an injury-time penalty from Rory Fallon to take the game into extra-time at 3-3 but after a goalless half-hour it was the Fifers, sitting bottom of the Second Division, who won 4-3 on penalties.
    East Fife joined the likes of Raith Rovers, Dundee, Dunfermline, Queen of the South and Queen's Park in the lengthy list of lower league sides who have knocked the Pittodrie men out of cups in recent years.
    Brown, 71, insists he will not walk away from Pittodrie but the former Scotland boss is hoping that decision is not taken out of his hands.
    "I genuinely believe that given the appropriate time that we can turn this club around and get it right," he told RedTV.
    "But whether the powers-that-be believe that, whether the fans believe that, is another matter.
    "But I think the fans have to understand the situation. We are trying our best to make us a much more determined and fighting Aberdeen team.
    "I hope they see that but that's for them to decide.
    "I'm conscientious in my work, Archie (Knox) is conscientious in his work, the players know that, I think, hopefully, the fans know that.
    "We will continue to do our very best which has been good enough and accepted elsewhere and hopefully it is the same here."
    Brown warned his players against treating Pittodrie as a comfort zone and accused some of them of lacking "bottle".
    He continued: "The standard that we set is maybe better than we've got.
    "I would never be publicly critical of any player, that's not my style but obviously we haven't a good enough squad at the moment.
    "You can see that when we can't beat East Fife with the fringe players that we played indicates that no player here should think that he is in a comfort situation because quite clearly we have got to improve our standard."
    "I genuinely think the players are trying," he added.
    "I don't think there is a player that I could point a finger at and say, 'you're not trying' but they've not got the bottle for the real challenges that take place in a game and one or two definitely don't have that.
    "They need to have far more courage, far more strength of character, far more determination.
    "There is plenty of ability there, I see it on the training pitch but when they are confronted by opposition who are just ordinary hard-working guys, our level of capability seems to drop."

Uploads

Parkin: Initial month's loan at the Keepmoat
    JON PARKIN JOINS DONCASTER

Cardiff striker Jon Parkin has joined Doncaster on loan, subject to international clearance.
    The 6ft 3in Yorkshireman, who will stay at the Keepmoat Stadium for an initial month, could make his debut for Rovers in the home clash with Crystal Palace on Saturday.
    Parkin began his career at hometown club Barnsley and has also had permanent spells at York, Macclesfield, Hull, Stoke and Preston.
    He scored 31 goals in just over 100 appearances for Preston before moving to Cardiff in a £100,000 deal in January this year.
    The 29-year-old made 12 appearances for Cardiff during the second half of last season, including the play-off semi-final defeat to Reading, but has featured only twice for the Welsh club this time round, scoring his solitary goal in last month's Carling Cup win over Huddersfield.

Uploads

Baseya: Snapped up by Reading
    ROYALS CAPTURE FRENCH STRIKER

Reading have signed French striker Cedric Baseya until the end of the season, with the option of a one-year extension.
    The 23-year-old was out of contract after being released by Lille at the end of last season.
    Baseya, who had a loan spell with Le Havre last term, made one substitute appearance for Southampton in the 2007/8 campaign as well as featuring in three games for Crewe during a loan spell.
    Royals manager Brian McDermott told the club's website: "We've known about him for quite a while now. He has played out in France and was at Southampton as a youngster.
    "He's about 6'4" and he's good in the air so will win headers, he's aggressive, and he's still very young."
    Meanwhile, Reading winger Jake Taylor, 19, has joined League One side Exeter City on an initial one-month loan deal.

Uploads

Ferdinand: Missed the last three games for United
    FERGUSON HOPING FOR FERDINAND BOOST

Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping central defender Rio Ferdinand will be fit for Manchester United's Premier League trip to Stoke on Saturday.
    Ferdinand injured a hamstring during the opening game at West Brom and although he returned for the win at Bolton earlier this month, he has then been sidelined for three games with a calf problem.
    United have not missed the 32-year-old too much, establishing a two-point lead at the top of the table whilst also marching into the Carling Cup fourth round with a victory over Ferdinand's former club Leeds on Tuesday.
    However, as well as the Red Devils have done in Ferdinand's absence, Ferguson believes a visit to the Britannia Stadium is one of those occasions when experience is vital.
    The United boss has already pinpointed Stoke as being one of the top flight's emerging powers despite their four-goal hammering at Sunderland on Sunday.
    And, speaking to www.manutd.com, Ferguson would like to have Ferdinand back to offer some reassurance to his youthful squad.
    "I'm hoping Rio will be okay for Saturday," said Ferguson.
    "When you go to Stoke you need a bit of experience.
    "Rio came into the team when we played at Bolton and gave us that experience, so we hope he'll be fit for Saturday."
    As skipper Nemanja Vidic is also sidelined and Brazilian full-back Rafael is ruled out with a shoulder problem, United do not have a huge amount of options at the back.
    Michael Carrick and Antonio Valencia were pressed into service in a strange-looking back four at Elland Road and they were joined by Dimitar Berbatov once 19-year-old debutant Eziekel Fryers had limped off with cramp.
    And if Ferdinand is available this weekend, in-form Phil Jones would probably switch to full-back as England's Chris Smalling is doubtful with a groin injury.

Uploads

Modric: Subject of£40million bid from Chelsea last month
    MODRIC WILL GO IF HE WANTS - ARDILES

Tottenham legend Ossie Ardiles believes his old club will find it impossible to force Luka Modric to stay beyond this season if he remains hell bent on leaving.
    Modric was at the centre of one of the transfer sagas of the summer, with Chelsea seeing three bids - the third said to be valued at £40million - snubbed for the Croatia playmaker.
    Spurs' refusal to do business angered Modric, who accused chairman Daniel Levy of reneging on a promise to allow him to move.
    And former Tottenham midfielder and manager Ardiles cannot see Modric staying at White Hart Lane next season if he remains determined to quit the club.
    Speaking at the launch of '19', a book by award-winning journalist Harry Harris which chronicles each of Manchester United's record-breaking 19 league titles, Ardiles told Press Association Sport: "In my time, when all the power was with the chairman or with the club, you could not stop players leaving.
    "If a player wanted to leave, at the end of the day, he would leave.
    "Right now, with all the power in the player's hands, you cannot possibly stop that.
    "If Luka Modric, or whoever, wants to leave the club, he will."
    Modric has done anything but sulk on the field for Spurs this season, scoring a sensational opener in Sunday's 4-0 Barclays Premier League thrashing of Liverpool.
    Hailing Modric's performance as the "best ever" of his three-and-a-half year Tottenham career, Ardiles added: "He's a lovely, lovely boy.
    "Of course it will affect him when suddenly you are going to be earning a lot more money, you are going to be playing in the Champions League.
    "You would not be human if you were not unsettled after that.
    "Saying that, he realises it's not going to happen right now.
    "So these months for him before January are going to be incredibly crucial.
    "I think he's going to give everything he has and we're going to be the beneficiaries of that.
    "And, of course, he will benefit as well because he may have a transfer in January or he may in July."
    The Modric saga was blamed in part for Spurs' miserable start to the season, which saw them heavily beaten by Manchester United and Manchester City.
    But they have bounced back in style against Wolves and Liverpool.
    "There were a lot of questions about Tottenham, to be perfectly honest," Ardiles said.
    "But they answered all these questions last Sunday against Liverpool.
    "Suddenly, things are starting to look very, very rosy again."
    The same cannot be said for arch rivals Arsenal, who are mired in 17th place in the table after the most torrid two months of Arsene Wenger's near 15-year reign.
    The Gunners have never finished below Tottenham since Wenger took charge.
    Indeed, Ardiles was at the helm at White Hart Lane for the first two months of the season when Spurs last lorded it over their rivals, but he believes it could happen again this season.
    "This year, it's very, very much a possibility," he said.
    "Arsenal look their poorest for a long, long, long time.
    "For the first time for a long, long, long time, they are maybe going to be the one losing out on the third or fourth spot.
    "They've had a terrible, terrible start."
    :: '19' is published by Empire Publications and can be purchased at www.empire-uk.com

Uploads

Rangnick: Has stepped down at Schalke due to health reasons
    RANGNICK STEPS DOWN AT SCHALKE

Schalke manager Horst Heldt conceded the club had little option but to "pull the ripcord" on Ralf Rangnick's tenure after discovering the 53-year-old was suffering from exhaustion syndrome.
    Rangnick informed the club on Thursday of his desire to resign and the move was made official on Thursday morning.
    Heldt admitted it had left them in the lurch but insisted they were powerless to prevent Rangnick from quitting to recharge his batteries.
    "Ralf Rangnick told us in the presence of (club doctor) Thorsten Rarreck that he suffers from exhaustion syndrome," said Heldt.
    "So we had to pull the ripcord, because it's about Rangnick."
    Rangnick himself said: "After long and careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that I need a break. I wish the club all the success in the future."
    The surprise move means Heldt has not even thought about which direction to turn in search of a successor.
    Rangnick's assistant Seppo Eichkom will be in temporary charge for this weekend's game with Freiburg and possibly next Thursday's Europa League clash with Maccabi Haifa.
    "The rug has been pulled from under our feet because we did not see it coming," added Heldt.
    "We haven't even considered a replacement in such a short space of time.
    "But the decision by Ralf Rangnick should be held in the highest esteem.
    "We are also of the belief that health should always take precedence over all professional goals and challenges."
    Schalke president Clemens Tonnies is adamant the search for a replacement should not have a timescale as it is more important to get the right man irrespective of how long it takes.
    "We have a board meeting today anyway and the coaching position will of course now be number one on the agenda," said Tonnies on Thursday.
    "But we have got to find the best solution, and not necessarily the quickest."
    Rangnick took over the Royal Blues in March after Felix Magath left.
    He inherited a side which was struggling at the wrong end of the Bundesliga but a strong finish saw them ease to safety. They also secured a place in the Champions League semi-finals and the DFB-Pokal title.
    They started the current season with the ambition of at least getting back into the Champions League, but a 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich last weekend left them in mid-table, six points adrift of the summit.
    Rangnick's departure is nevertheless a major shock.
    "It must be really bad, otherwise he would not make this decision after such a short time," said former Schalke legend Olaf Thon.
    "I hope that Ralf Rangnick can recover from it. It is a real shame because Rangnick was appointed because he had a long-term concept.
    "I am sure the team will be perplexed and they are going to have to be told that they have to play on Saturday, however difficult it will be, and get the next win."

Uploads

Bruce: Happy with how his rebuilding effort is shaping up
    STEVE BRUCE SLAMS SPECULATION

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce feels recent speculation over his future has been unfair.
    Although the Black Cats opened the new season by claiming a point at Liverpool, they failed to win in their first four Premier League games while being knocked out of the Carling Cup by Brighton.
    That led to question marks in the north east press over Bruce's position but after seeing his side beat Stoke 4-0 on Saturday, the Black Cats boss feels the speculation was premature.
    "Anybody who's managed at this level will know that it engulfs you very, very quickly, and here in the north east it does engulf you quicker than anywhere," Bruce told Sky Sports News.
    "The two years previously we've done OK, nothing spectacular. We finished 10th, which was the club's third-highest finish in 55 years.
    "Then within two weeks (of the new season), all of a sudden you've lost the plot - that's the way it happens. I thought it was unfair but then again, I would say that.
    "The most important for me is to get over it and learn from it, about how quickly things do change up here. But certainly, it's not going to derail me in my thoughts of exactly what we're trying to achieve."
    Bruce has been backed by the board in rebuilding the squad over the last two years but he has also been forced to sell his top players, with Darren Bent making a big-money move to Aston Villa in January while Jordan Henderson was reluctantly sold to Liverpool in the summer.
    Anton Ferdinand then moved to QPR on transfer deadline day before record signing Asamoah Gyan left Sunderland in the lurch by agreeing a lucrative loan deal to Al-Ain after the deadline.
    Ahmed Elmohamady secured a permanent move to the Stadium of Light after being on loan last season and was one of only two starters against Stoke that were also in the starting line-up for the final game of last season.
    But Bruce is pleased with how the new boys are settling in and believes the team is now heading in the right direction ahead of Monday night's trip to Norwich.
    "We've made a huge amount of changes, which is far too many really, but we had no real choice," he added.
    "We had five loan players last year and we've only secured one of them. Bolo Zenden and Steed Malbranque then left, and Jordan Henderson goes to Liverpool.
    "We're now looking to replace eight or nine players which, all at once, is very difficult indeed. But we've managed to do it and I'm delighted with what we've done.
    "The lads need time now to settle into their new environment, settle into the club, and results like the one we got on Saturday will certainly help."

Uploads

Hargreaves: Fires home goal on Manchester City debut
    HARGREAVES: NIGHTMARE BEHIND ME

Manchester City midfielder Owen Hargreaves admits he is delighted to put his three-year injury nightmare behind him.
    The England international made his City debut on Wednesday and he opened the scoring in the 2-0 win over Birmingham in the Carling Cup third round with a blistering 25-yard hit.
    Hargreaves was taken off shortly before the hour in a pre-planned move by City boss Roberto Mancini, and he admits he is delighted to be playing again.
    "I knew I wasn't far away, just a few tweaks - every time," he told City's official website.
    "I don't think people would believe me if I said everything that went on, but I am just happy to be back as I never anticipated in my life I would be out for three years - but I am back and I am happy.
    "I think there was a misconception, I just needed to get in the right direction and the staff and everyone has done well, it will just take time to get into the tempo but so far it has been a great."
    Hargreaves revealed he played in a behind closed doors game last week, so there was little doubt he was ready to feature.
    "It feels good to get the first game out of the way, but we had a training game last week and I played for an hour - but this was the first official one," he said,
    "The lads did well, professional and to get a couple of early goals helped and all in all it was a decent performance.
    "I don't score a ton, because I am a midfielder but when I do score they are normally from distance, I don't get many but they tend to be good."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast