Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 23-09-11

Franck Ribery: Happy to stay at Bayern Munich
    RIBERY HAPPY TO STAY AT BAYERN

Franck Ribery has hinted he would be prepared to stay at Bayern Munich for the rest of his career as he is enjoying life under Jupp Heynckes.
    The Frenchman has struggled with fitness and form during the last few seasons and he admits he did not see eye-to-eye with former Bayern coach Louis van Gaal
    The 28-year-old has made an impressive start to the season, with three goals in his first six Bundesliga games of the season and he admits he is settled in Bavaria.
    Asked if he could see out his career at Bayern, Ribery said: "Sure, why not?
    "I am very happy in Munich, my family feels very comfortable here and my new son is a true Bavarian.
    "It's true that I'm really happy. It's been a while since I've felt so good.

"It's no secret that it didn't really work between Louis van Gaal and me.

"But for me, the subject is closed, I assure you.

"I am delighted with the return of Jupp Heynckes, we have an excellent relationship."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-09-11

Sean O'Driscoll: Gardening leave
    SAUNDERS TAKES CHARGE AT DONCASTER

Doncaster manager Sean O'Driscoll and his assistant Richard O'Kelly have been put on gardening leave by the Championship strugglers.
    And former Wrexham manager Dean Saunders will take charge for the home game against Crystal Palace on Saturday.
    A club statement read: "It is with regret that the shareholders have taken the decision based on the long run of poor results, that Sean O'Driscoll and Richard O'Kelly be put on gardening leave.
    "They felt that action needed to be taken to address the current position.
    "They would like to thank Sean and Richard for all their work during the five years at the club including winning at the Millennium Stadium and Wembley."
    Rovers are bottom of the Championship having garnered just one point from their opening seven games.

Uploads

Kolo Toure: Back from drugs ban
    TOURE GRATEFUL FOR WENGER SUPPORT

Manchester City defender Kolo Toure has thanked Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger for standing by him during the shame of his failed drugs test - and insists the Frenchman will emerge stronger from his present crisis.
    Toure returned to action for City in their Carling Cup win over Birmingham on Wednesday night, ending a six-month absence.
    The centre-back was banned after taking a prohibited substance in an effort to control his weight last season.
    Although the possibility of a two-year suspension hung over the 30-year-old until his disciplinary hearing was concluded in May, even six months out of the game was a nightmare to a player who had always conducted himself with dignity.
    However, those closest to him remained loyal.
    Brother Yaya dedicated his goals in the FA Cup semi-final and final to Kolo, who was handed the captain's armband by manager Roberto Mancini on his re-appearance this week.
    And Toure will never forget the actions of Wenger, his former manager, and ex-Arsenal director David Dein, who always made themselves available as a sounding board.
    "I want to thank two people who have been really important to me - David Dein and Mr Wenger," he said.
    "They have been supporting me and never let me down. I want to thank them very, very much."
    Toure will never forget the debt of gratitude he owes to Wenger.
    It was the Frenchman who brought him to England from the Ivory Coast as a raw 20-year-old, turning him into a player still good enough nine years later for City to pay 16million to make him a pivotal part of their development under owner Sheikh Mansour.
    "I would never say a bad word about Mr Wenger," said Toure.
    "He is somebody that makes players better. I came from nowhere. I was in Africa and nobody believed in me.
    "I had been at a lot of clubs that didn't take me. This guy made me what I am now."
    So, even though Toure's world has now turned full circle and he is ready to put his own demons to bed, he still sympathises with the plight Wenger currently finds himself in.
    "This time is really hard for Mr Wenger but he is really strong and a very intelligent manager," he said.
    "It makes me feel a little sad because at the moment they are really unlucky and still play good football.
    "I wish him all the best and know he will come out of this strong because he is definitely a top manager."

Uploads

Barton: Has claimed Arsenal were interested in signing him
    HILL-WOOD IN DARK OVER JOEY BARTON

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has denied knowledge of any plans to sign midfielder Joey Barton during the recent summer transfer window.
    Barton claimed on Wednesday that he had held talks with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger before making a move to QPR in August.
    The 29-year-old said he might have joined Arsenal had he not been involved in Gervinho's red card on the opening day of the season while playing for his former club, Newcastle.
    He clashed with the Gunners' new signing at St James' Park, going to ground after a fracas which saw the Ivorian sent off.
    Barton believes that incident was pivotal in Wenger deciding against bringing him to Emirates Stadium.
    However, Arsenal chief Hill-Wood says he had no knowledge of the manager trying to sign the tempestuous midfielder.
    He told the Daily Star: "It's not something the board heard about and if it was a serious proposition I certainly would have expected us to."

Uploads

James McFadden: Could join Wolves
    McCARTHY KEEN TO SIGN McFADDEN

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy believes out-of-contract striker James McFadden would be "a great addition" to his squad after impressing when on trial at the club this week.
    McCarthy has made it clear he wants to sign the Scotland international who is looking to rebuild his career after suffering a cruciate ligament injury 13 months ago.
    McFadden parted company with Birmingham during the summer after the Carling Cup holders did not take up an option on his contract.
    But he has impressed during training with Wolves this week and McCarthy hopes a deal can be thrashed out for the 28-year-old.
    McCarthy said: "I sincerely hope there are going to be some developments with McFadden. He has looked fine this week with us, I want to sign him.
    "When will that happen and how far down the road we are, I don't know.
    "But he is a talented lad and a good character and has fitted in really well.
    "He has enjoyed it, at least I think he has, and he will be a great addition to our squad, definitely.
    "I get the feeling from him that he wants to come here and I hope that is the case. If we can do something, then we will."
    McCarthy was unhappy with Wolves' performance in last weekend's 3-0 home reversal by QPR although a much changed line-up then thrashed Millwall 5-0 in a midweek Carling Cup tie.
    He said: "Only (goalkeeper) Wayne Hennessey was solid against QPR. Do I ever get that from a team of mine where 10 of them are under par? No, or at least, it very rarely happens.
    "When it does, the players are so diligent about how they do their jobs and they want to repair that.
    "The only way to get it out of your system is by coming back and playing well the way we did in the previous four league games."

Uploads

Danny Pugh: Back at Leeds
    LEEDS COMPLETE DANNY PUGH DEAL

Leeds have completed the signing of Danny Pugh from Stoke with a view to a permanent transfer.
    The 28-year-old, who has arrived on an initial loan basis until January, returns for a second spell at Leeds, where he made 57 appearances between 2004 and 2006.
    Leeds manager Simon Grayson said: "He's a versatile player and an experienced player who has played in both the Premier League and the Europa League with Stoke.
    "He also knows the Championship well and knows this club very well. Two or three other clubs were in for him but he jumped at the chance to come here.
    "This was a deal we almost did on deadline day with some of the money that is available, but Tony [Pulis] wanted to keep him at Stoke a while longer, so we've brought him in on loan in the first instance and will make it permanent in January."
    Pugh found first-team appearances hard to come by towards the end of his first stint at Elland Road and moved to Preston for 250,000 in June 2006 before Stoke paid 500,000 for the left-sided player in January 2008.

Uploads

Hahnemann: Signs short-term Toffees deal
    EVERTON SIGN UP MARCUS HAHNEMANN

American goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann has joined Everton on a short-term deal, the club have confirmed.
    Hahnemann has signed a contract with the Toffees until January after being released by Wolves in the summer.
    The 39-year-old - holder of nine caps for the United States - will provide back-up at Goodison Park to compatriot Tim Howard and Jan Mucha.
    Everton boss David Moyes said: "It is difficult when you only have two senior goalkeepers - it only needs one of them to go down and then you are in trouble.
    "Marcus is friends with Tim. It is after the transfer window has closed and we had to look for someone who we knew.
    "I would have liked to have got somebody before the window closed if we could, but there were other priorities at the time.
    "It gives me someone who can help in the reserves and if we get an injury to a goalkeeper, he has got good experience of the Premier League and we can use him as back-up."
    Hahnemann arrives at Everton following a two-year spell at Molineux and he previously played in the Premier League with Reading.
    Meanwhile, Toffees youngster Jose Baxter has joined npower League One side Tranmere on loan for a month.

Uploads

Allan: Turned down the offer of a new contract
    HOUSTON ANGERED BY ALLAN SNUB

Dundee United manager Peter Houston has vented his fury after reported Manchester United target Scott Allan rejected a new deal at Tannadice.
    Skysports.com reported on Thursday that the Red Devils were keeping tabs on the 19-year-old midfielder, who has made a big impact in the SPL during the early part of this season.
    Dundee United had been keen to keep Allan and offered him a fresh contract they felt was extremely generous.
    However, he turned down the proposal and Houston has now claimed Allan's representatives demanded the player be made one of the club's highest earners, despite the fact that he has played just 242 minutes for the first team.
    Houston has been infuriated by the situation and is particularly critical of the player's agent, John Viola.
    "Scott has rejected our offer and I'm very disappointed," Houston said in the Daily Record.
    "He was offered the best deal this club has ever offered to a teenager but doesn't want it.
    "When it comes down to a 19-year-old demanding to be the third-highest paid player at the club after two-and-a-half games then I wouldn't pay him it even if I could afford it.
    "That's what his agent asked for at first. He wanted wages in line with guys who have been playing at this level for years - I think he's being wrongly advised.
    "That tells me where the priorities lie. I can't be bothered with people who are only motivated by money. We won't give Scott any more money because he has still to prove himself. He has had two good games, that's it. He might get a big club but will he play?
    "For me he should be looking to play 50-100 games here and then perhaps move to a bigger club.
    "But he and his advisers want to do it their way so whatever happens will be up to them."
    Allan is out of contract at the end of the season and, if he runs down his deal, Dundee United believe they would be due around 450,000 compensation for their role in his development.
    The Terrors have a reputation for developing players and only recently David Goodwillie left for Blackburn in a 2.8million deal, while Houston's current crop includes Johnny Russell, Stuart Armstrong and Ryan Dow.
    The Tannadice boss reckons their attitude is an example to Allan, who the club have stuck by through some tough times.
    Houston said: "Look at the players who have accepted deals at Scotty's age - Goodwillie, Russell, Watson, Armstrong and Dow. These guys have all become first-team players at this club.
    "But Scott has decided he doesn't want to be at United. We will be due a lot of money for our role in his development.
    "I find it hard to take because we have looked after Scott during his glandular fever and broken leg.
    "But if he wants to wait until the end of the season then we'll take the compensation we're due. He won't be going before that.
    "I find it hard to stomach from a boy who has played two and a half games. If money is his goal and he will be happy playing reserve football for a big club that disappoints me."
    Agent Viola later hit back and defended his client against accusations that he is only interested in money.
    He said: "Scott is not greedy, all he wants is to play. It's the club's prerogative to play him during contract talks."

Uploads

Claudio Ranieri: New Inter Milan coach
    INTER NEED SELF-BELIEF BACK - RANIERI

New Inter Milan coach Claudio Ranieri is looking forward to the challenge of turning around the fortunes of the Serie A giants.
    Ranieri was unveiled by the Nerazzurri on Friday after being confirmed as successor to the sacked Gian Piero Gasperini.
    "I feel so many emotions," Ranieri said.
    "I've done this job simply for the emotions it gives you. I am very proud to be part of the Nerazzurri family."
    The veteran coach signed a two-year contract with Inter and inherits a team that is in the relegation zone, with just one point from their opening three games.
    The club decided to dismiss Gasperini after Tuesday's 3-1 defeat at promoted Novara - Inter's fourth loss in five games this season.
    "We must recover confidence and self-belief," Ranieri said.
    "We have to get results as soon as possible."
    The 59-year-old had been out of a job since leaving Roma earlier this year and admitted he was surprised to be chosen by Inter.
    "I have to admit that I didn't expect this," he said. "My mind was set on going abroad but when Inter call you, you can only be happy and proud.
    "I can only say that I love to work, then it's destiny that puts you in one place or another. And I am happy to be here now."
    The former Chelsea boss has struggled in the past to win silverware, with his only trophies a Coppa Italia in 1996 with Fiorentina and a Copa del Rey with Valencia three years later.
    However, he has plenty of experience in Serie A.
    Ranieri took over Parma midway through the 2006-07 campaign and managed to steer the relegation-threatened club to safety.
    The following year he led Juventus to a third-place finish just one season after the Turin giants had been competing in Serie B.
    After being sacked by Juve the following May, Ranieri was put in charge of a struggling Roma six months later and guided his hometown club to a runners-up finish in Serie A behind Inter.
    "This is the beginning of a new journey and to win at Inter would be a splendid thing for me," Ranieri said.
    Inter, who finished runners-up in the league last season to AC Milan, had established themselves as the leading side in Italy with a run of five league titles under Roberto Mancini and then Jose Mourinho.
    "A year-and-a-half ago, these players were champions and I believe in their will to react," Ranieri said.
    "They have fallen but the important thing is for them to get up again and fight.
    "I want to see that united team that never gave up whenever my teams played against them.
    "The important thing is to get results now.
    "These players are used to winning and have to get back to winning."
    Ranieri's first game in charge will be at Bologna tomorrow before Inter travel to Russia to face CSKA Moscow next week.
    When asked about his preferred tactics, Ranieri said: "I am not a slave of a system of play.
    "I always put a team on the pitch with the thought of winning a game and that's it."