Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 25-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-09-11

Neil Warnock: Still QPR boss
    NEIL WARNOCK ALMOST QUIT QPR

Neil Warnock has admitted he would have quit Queens Park Rangers had Tony Fernandes not taken over the club.
    The former Sheffield United and Crystal Palace manager said he was close to leaving Loftus Road after his side were hammered 4-0 by Bolton on the opening day of the season.
    Warnock was frustrated with what was going on at the club, both on and off the field, and disappointed they had failed to push on after winning the Championship title while operating on a shoestring budget.
    But the Rangers boss says Fernandes was key in keeping him at the club.
    He told the Daily Star: "If Tony hadn't had arrived I would have left after that 4-0 defeat to Bolton.
    "I am being honest here. I didn't want to leave after what I had achieved but things needed changing. I was ready to go.
    "Tony arrived and it's a whole new game. I signed players who were once totally out of our wage limit. I also signed players who still had something to prove, the type of people who I have always gone for.
    "For once I could shop in Harrods and not Woolworths. For once I could be on a level playing field with the others."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-09-11

Bradley: Egypt boss
    BOB BRADLEY CONFIRMED AS EGYPT BOSS

Bob Bradley has finally put pen to paper on a deal to coach the Egyptian national side.
    The 53-year-old American, who was sacked as the coach of the United States earlier this year, agreed a deal that could extend until the World Cup in 2014, depending on results.
    Egyptian Football Association chief executive Ehab Saleh said: "The contract runs until July 2014 but it will be automatically rescinded if Egypt failed to qualify for the 2013 African Cup of Nations or the 2014 World Cup."
    Egypt have already missed out a place at next year's African Cup of Nations after a miserable run of results under former coach Hassan Shehata.
    Bradley's brief is to return the seven-time winners to both that competition in 2013, and the World Cup a year later, which would be their first appearance in 24 years.
    Shehata left the post in June following a distinguished seven years at the helm. The 62-year-old was Egypt's longest-serving manager and achieved the distinction of winning three successive African Cup of Nations titles between 2006 and 2010.
    Shehata, however, presided over a difficult qualifying campaign for next year's continental showpiece and left the role after it was confirmed Egypt would be absent from the tournament for the first time in 33 years.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-09-11

Sean O'Driscoll: Gardening leave
    SAUNDERS TAKES CHARGE AT DONCASTER

Dean Saunders hopes the winning philosophy ingrained in him during a lifetime association with Liverpool can help move Doncaster away from relegation trouble.
    Rovers announced they had placed manager Sean O'Driscoll on gardening leave on Friday morning after taking a solitary point from their first seven league games, leaving them at the foot of the npower Championship table.
    By contrast, Saunders moves to Yorkshire from Wrexham with the Blue Square Bet Premier outfit level on points with early season pacesetters Luton.
    Nevertheless, it is the lessons learnt from his own and his father Roy's careers at Anfield that leads Saunders to believe he is the man to revive fortunes at the Keepmoat Stadium, starting with Saturday's visit of Crystal Palace.
    "My Dad played for Liverpool for 12 years and I was brought up on my Dad telling me what to do," he said.
    "Then John Toshack was the manager at Swansea when I started and he signed all those players from Liverpool, so all that Liverpool stuff was drummed into me by the likes of Doug Livermore.
    "And then I signed for Liverpool, for Graeme Souness. He and Ronnie Moran were on my back and I found that they were telling me the same things my Dad was telling me.
    "So my whole philosophy on football stems from the way Liverpool do things. If you look at what Kenny Dalglish is doing it's all about the team, it's not about individuals.
    "The training and everything Liverpool do is where I get most of my thoughts from. They haven't done badly, so if there's someone to follow, it's them."
    Saunders also explained that a mantra of hard work and commitment while shunning life's excesses will be vital if his newly inherited squad are to avoid relegation.
    "It's a simple game football," he added. "A manager's job is to get good players working hard. If you've got all the best players and they don't work hard you haven't got a team.
    "I want to win and I've got pride in my performance. When I was playing I had pride in my performance and I expect that from all the players.
    "If you've got pride in your performance it overrules everything. You don't have a McDonalds on Friday night or go out drinking beer on Thursday night because it effects how you play. If you've got no pride in your performance then you'll do all those things."
    Doncaster chairman John Ryan - who this week offered a full public backing to O'Driscoll - paid tribute to his former manager's five-year spell in charge, but felt something had to be done after a run of form he described as "cataclysmic".
    "It was a very difficult decision but in my heart of hearts I knew something had to change," he said. "We couldn't go on seven games into the season with only one point on the back of a bad finish to last season as well.
    "Any manager would be under pressure if they hadn't won for 18 games. It really is a cataclysmic sequence of results."