Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 26-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 26-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 26-09-11

Van Persie: Not the right time to discuss new deal
    VAN PERSIE NOT READY FOR NEW DEAL

Robin van Persie has revealed he is in no rush to sign a contract extension at Arsenal - but insisted he is happy with his current deal.
    The Gunners lost two of their most influential players over the summer as Cesc Fabregas returned to boyhood club Barcelona and Samir Nasri was lured to Manchester City.
    Boss Arsene Wenger announced last week that the process of signing up the likes of van Persie would begin immediately, after voicing concerns that Arsenal could not match the rewards on offer elsewhere.
    Van Persie, who was made captain at the Emirates following the departure of Fabregas and scored his 100th goal for the club against Bolton on Saturday, is coming towards the final 18 months of his contract.
    He maintains that he is satisfied with the situation as it stands and does not believe it is the right time to discuss an extension at such a busy stage of the season.
    "I still have almost two years left here, so for the moment that's fine. But I don't know, we will have to look," said the Dutch striker.
    "I'm happy with my contract, I'm good. That's how it is, I can't say much more. I can't look into the future."
    Asked if he might discuss a new deal soon, van Persie added: "Maybe I'll leave it because the main thing for me is the team and that we play well.
    "I do believe you have to look for a right moment to sit down and speak about your own stuff.
    "It's not only about me, it's about the team. We are not talking now because we are so busy - we have games every three or four days. I don't think it's clever to do that during the season."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 26-09-11

Allardyce: Wants to be in England frame
    ALLARDYCE EYES ENGLAND CHANCE

Sam Allardyce is hoping to be in the frame to be the next England coach by leading West Ham back into the Premier League.
    Current national boss Fabio Capello is standing down after next summer's European Championship and Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is the favourite to replace the Italian.
    However, Allardyce is also keen to be considered for the position after being in contention for the job in 2006 when Sven-Goran Eriksson left to eventually be replaced by Steve McClaren.
    Allardyce took charge at West Ham in the summer following the club's relegation from the top flight and has guided his team into fourth spot in the table after Saturday's 1-0 win over Peterborough.
    He accepts he must take the Hammers back into the Premier League to have a chance of landing the England post after again outlining his determination to manage his country.
    "I'd walk over burning coals to get the England job," said Allardyce.
    "I am an Englishman and I want to have an opportunity like I did last time to be in the frame. The only way I can get there is by making this club great or as good as I can make it.
    "And if the England job comes around and I am on top of my game as a manager because West Ham are on top of their results then my name might be put in the frame.
    "Last time around I was probably enjoying the best time of my life as a manager with Bolton.
    "That's why I was in the frame then. If West Ham are flying high in the Premier League, hopefully I'll be considered again. It would take West Ham being promoted."

Uploads

Ben Foster: On loan at West Brom
    FOSTER: NO DECISION YET ON FUTURE

West Brom's on-loan goalkeeper Ben Foster insists no decision will be taken on his long term future until the end of the campaign.
    Foster has joined the Baggies for the 2011/12 season from Birmingham following their relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
    He will return to St. Andrew's should City be promoted, but that is looking unlikely after a mass exodus of players and an average start to life in the npower Championship.
    When asked about his future, Foster said: "I honestly haven't got a clue. As far as it stands it was just a season-loan deal and that was that.
    "It just depends on what happens at the end of the season.
    "If Birmingham go and get promoted and get back in the Premier League then I will be back there playing football with Birmingham - simple as that.
    "If it doesn't happen, then there is a decision to be made on both parties.
    "It's out of your hands to a point. I will have to bide my time and wait and see."
    Foster admits Birmingham's Carling Cup success was a major factor in them being relegated.
    He said: "I think it was the cup win that really did it and what took us down. It took so much out of us, more emotionally than anything.
    "It was so tiring. I remember literally for two weeks afterwards the lads in training were just knackered.
    "It was such a big effort from everyone that it really did affect our Premier League form.
    "There were some games towards the end of the season, particularly when we lost 2-0 to Fulham, when it was such a poor performance from the lads.
    "It just seemed like we were almost resigned to the fact we might get relegated. You could see something like that happening which was disappointing."
    Foster was also relegated with Watford but is confident Albion will stay up despite a poor start to the season.
    He said: "We'll be absolutely fine. I had the misfortune of getting relegated with Birmingham last season and with Watford a few years back as well.
    "I can see what you need in your team to avoid the drop. We have plenty of talent in this team to avoid the drop.
    "I think realistically we have to be looking towards 10th and 11th place. That's our true position."

Uploads

Steve Bruce: Has Bramble's backing
    BRAMBLE BACKING BRUCE STAY

Titus Bramble believes Sunderland would have nothing to gain if they opted to sack manager Steve Bruce so early in the new season.
    The Black Cats have made an inauspicious start after picking up just two points from their opening four games prior to thrashing Stoke last time out.
    Sunderland's slow start following a summer overhaul has led to question marks over Bruce's future, talk Bramble thinks is 'crazy'.
    He is well aware rivals Newcastle sacked the late Sir Bobby Robson in August 2004, a move which brought few dividends.
    The Stadium of Light side have made a number of signings during the close season and Bramble knows the new faces need time to settle, urging chairman Niall Quinn to keep faith with Bruce.
    "I think Newcastle's downfall was Sir Bobby leaving," commented Bramble.
    "It came from nowhere really, four games into the season. You make your signings and then you sack the manager - it's crazy.
    "We've got ten new signings, so it's not going to happen overnight. It takes a few weeks, a few months for everything to gel, so four games is crazy to think about sacking a manager.
    "Even last season, when we lost a lot of games at the back end, maybe a lot of clubs would be thinking, 'Right, let's get rid of the manager'. But it doesn't do anything.
    "It's great that we've got a good chairman who knows the club inside out and who knows that changing the manager wouldn't do anything."

Uploads

Nigel Clough: Deal expires in the summer
    DAVIES: CLOUGH DESERVES NEW DEAL

Derby midfielder Ben Davies believes manager Nigel Clough deserves a new contract following the team's impressive start to the season.
    A 3-0 victory over Millwall on Saturday took the Rams into third spot in the Championship table and just a point behind leaders Southampton.
    Clough has been praised for his role in Derby's current form, but his contract at Pride Park is due to expire at the end of the season.
    Davies believes the club have a bright future under Clough and is keen for the Derby board to tie down the former Burton boss to a new deal.
    "For the work he has done and how well we are playing, the gaffer deserves everything he gets and that should be a new contract," said Davies.
    "It would be great for the board to sort out his future and it would give a lot of stability to the lads too.
    "The players want to see it and I think the fans do as well. So, hopefully, it will get done.
    "He can take this team as far as he wants.
    "When we're playing well, we can beat anyone in this league and we can achieve anything. The gaffer had a massive job last season sorting out the squad.
    "So he deserves all the credit for making a new team and he also deserves to be where he is in the table."

Uploads

John Oster: Feels for O'Driscoll
    OSTER FEELS FOR O'DRISCOLL

John Oster admits he feels sympathy for former Doncaster manager Sean O'Driscoll.
    O'Driscoll was put on gardening leave by Doncaster last week following a disappointing start to the season and was quickly replaced by former Wales international Dean Saunders.
    The new manager made his mark as Doncaster secured a first win of the campaign on Saturday thanks to a 1-0 victory at home over Crystal Palace.
    Oster scored the decisive goal in the second half and the midfielder hopes to build on the success after paying tribute to O'Driscoll.
    "I feel for Sean a little as I enjoyed his methods and the way he went about his business," said Oster.
    "But there's a new manager in now and it's great that we've got off to a winning start.
    "It doesn't really matter about the performance, it wasn't the best maybe, but we can certainly build on this result and crack on for the game against Hull in the week."
    Fellow midfielder Brian Stock, meanwhile, revealed Saunders has quickly lifted spirits at the Keepmoat Stadium following O'Driscoll's exit.
    Stock said: "The players have reacted positively to Dean coming in.
    "I've known him with coaching at Wales and he's a bubbly character and livened us up in training with a bit of banter.
    "He's got some fantastic stories and he's always got a joke up his sleeve and maybe that's what some of the lads needed. He's got the lads buzzing.
    "I don't see why he can't take us up the league. The signs are promising."

Uploads

Johnson: Set for Yeovil return
    GLOVERS CLOSE ON OLI JOHNSON

Yeovil are hoping to complete the loan signing of Oli Johnson from Norwich after also enquiring about Huddersfield striker Danny Cadamarteri.
    Glovers boss Terry Skiverton is keen to improve his attacking options and is set to sign Johnson, who scored three goals in 17 appearances on loan at Huish Park last season.
    Skiverton was also keen on Cadamarteri, but the Huddersfield forward's current level of fitness means Johnson has emerged as a more viable option.
    "Hopefully going into the week we will have another bit of good news, we will be looking to strengthen that bit more and have my favoured four strikers," said Skiverton after Saturday's game at Scunthorpe.
    "It has all been agreed including the personal terms of bringing him on a loan but we have to wait until Monday to get it rubber-stamped. I envisage seeing him training on Monday.
    "Danny Cadamarteri has been struggling with his fitness and it has been going on too long where it has been another week and another week.
    "I have spoken to (Huddersfield boss) Lee Clark and I am just waiting to speak to Danny as well but the option of Oli came up and we have gone down that route because we know he can come in and train straight away."

Uploads

Huub Stevens: Was linked with Hamburg return
    HAMBURG 'END STEVENS INTEREST'

Hamburg have reportedly withdrawn their interest in reappointing former coach Huub Stevens.
    HSV sporting director Frank Arnesen held talks with Stevens over the weekend but returned dissatisfied after the Dutchman indicated he also wanted to meet with Schalke.
    Both Hamburg and Schalke are searching for a new coach after the former sacked Michael Oenning last week while Ralf Rangnick resigned from the latter due to exhaustion.
    Schalke now appear to be favourites to snare 57-year-old Stevens, who enjoyed a successful 16-month spell at Hamburg between 2007 and 2008.
    After Arnesen was reported to have claimed HSV wanted a coach who was "100% committed to them", Stevens said: "That surprises me.
    "Schalke are also in the race. I've been honest with Frank Arnesen and I have listened to everything."
    Rodolfo Cardoso was in interim charge as Hamburg won their first game of the season, at Stuttgart on Friday night, while Seppo Eichkorn, Rangnick's temporary replacement, was also victorious as his Schalke side beat Freiburg 4-2.
    Hamburg meet Schalke next Sunday at the Nordbank Arena.

Uploads

Bjorn Helge Riise: Portsmouth loan move
    POMPEY RAID FULHAM FOR RIISE

Portsmouth have signed Fulham midfielder Bjorn Helge Riise on loan.
    The Norway international will drop down to the Championship until November's international break after finding his road to the Cottagers' first team blocked.
    The 28-year-old has not featured since the Europa League qualifying rounds, but Pompey boss Steve Cotterill is happy to have him.
    "He's a central midfielder who can also play on the right side," Cotterill told his club's website.
    "He's energetic, a good footballer and has played 31 times for his country. He played on loan for Sheffield United against us last season and did very well.
    "We've got several midweek games and we may need to shuffle the pack so he will help us out."

Uploads

Brian Howard: Millwall loan move
    LIONS LOAN BRIAN HOWARD

Millwall have signed midfielder Brian Howard on a three-month loan from Championship rivals Reading.
    Howard will be at The Den until Boxing Day and goes straight into the Lions' squad for the clash with Watford on Tuesday.
    The 28-year-old came to prominence at Barnsley where he scored the last-ditch winner in their famous FA Cup win over Liverpool at Anfield.
    A brief spell at Sheffield United followed before he moved to the Madejski in the summer 2009 where he has been a regular member of the side until this season.
    His contract is due to expire next summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast