Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-09-11

Tevez: At centre of new controversy.
    MANCINI TO CONSULT CHAIRMAN ON TEVEZ

Roberto Mancini will speak with Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak in the next few days to decide what to do with Carlos Tevez.
    Even by his own standards of controversy, Tevez broke new ground at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday night.
    Mancini claims Tevez refused to come on as a second-half substitute, and says the Argentina striker is "finished" at the club. Despite Tevez issuing a statement on Wednesday morning saying he didn't refuse to play and describing the incident as a "misunderstanding", his position at the club appears untenable.
    Mancini said: "In the next days, we will speak with Khaldoon.
    "It is normal. He is the chairman. He decides everything.
    "If I decided, yes (he would leave). He wanted to leave last year. I helped him for two years every time. He refused to play.
    "I cannot accept this behaviour from him.
    "I decide the substitutions, not Carlos."
    Tevez did not look particularly perturbed by the situation he has landed himself in when he left the stadium.
    However, the Blues did get extra security at the airport to ensure angry fans did not encroach beyond acceptable levels.
    Mancini added: "Do you think at Bayern Munich one player can play like this. Or Milan or Manchester United. No," he said.
    "There were 30 minutes to the end. There was time to change the game.
    "Carlos didn't play at the start of the season because he didn't do a pre-season for three years. He is not ready to play."
    This would have been bad enough, in addition to being condemned to defeat by two goals in eight first-half minutes from Mario Gomez.
    But Mancini also had to contend with a strop from Edin Dzeko, who took exception to being replaced by Nigel de Jong 10 minutes into the second half as City tried to stop themselves being submerged in their opponents' bombardment.
    "I should be unhappy with this performance, not Edin," said Mancini.
    "But he played a poor game. If you play every three days, it is impossible that one player can always play well and that he can always stay on the pitch for 90 minutes."
    But there was also a stern warning for the giant Bosnian.
    "This is the last time one player leaves the pitch and moves his head like this.
    "I can understand a player is disappointed. I can understand inside he can be upset if he thinks he has played well. But I am the manager. I decide everything."
    Tevez said: "I would like to apologise to the Manchester City supporters, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich.
    "They understand that when I'm on the pitch I have always given my best for the club. In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and I was ready to play.
    "This is not the right time to go into specific details as to why this did not happen but I wish to state I never refused to play. There was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position was misunderstood.
    "Going forward, I am ready to play when required and to fulfil my obligations."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-09-11

Tevez on the bench at the Allianz Arena.
    CARLOS TEVEZ MANCHESTER CITY TIMELINE

It's been a rocky road for Carlos Tevez at Manchester City; here we look at some of the key dates and incidents.
    May 17, 2009: Accuses Manchester United of showing him a lack of respect and states his desire to leave Old Trafford.
    July 13: Manchester City confirm they have agreed a deal with Tevez, later angering United by using his image on a blue billboard along with the slogan 'Welcome to Manchester'.
    April 13, 2010: Questions City boss Roberto Mancini's training methods.
    December 4: Involved in a touchline bust-up with Mancini after being substituted late in City's 1-0 win over Bolton, in which he also scored.
    December 12: City reject a written transfer request from Tevez.
    December 20: City announce Tevez has withdrawn his transfer request after clear-the-air talks and expressed his "absolute commitment" to the club.
    May 16, 2011: Issues a statement saying he would remain at City if his family situation could be resolved, but insists his daughters must come first.
    June 3: Tevez says in an interview with Playfutbol that there is "nothing to do" in Manchester, and that once he leaves City, "I will not return to Manchester, not even for a holiday."
    July 4: Issues a statement saying he wishes to leave City in order to be closer to his family.
    July 18: Mancini confirms an agreement has been reached with Corinthians for the sale of Tevez.
    July 20: City confirm his 40million move to Corinthians has collapsed.
    August 3: City announce Tevez is to take an extended break, meaning he will miss the Community Shield clash with former club United.
    August 21: Booed by sections of City crowd on his seasonal reappearance as a second-half substitute against Bolton.
    September 3: Announces he is ready to play for City after desired move away from the club fails to happen.
    September 10: Mancini confirms Tevez will not captain City this season and that Vincent Kompany will instead remain in the role. Tevez misses a penalty in City's 3-0 win over Wigan.
    September 27: Mancini says he will never play for the club again after refusing to come on as a substitute in the Champions League game against Bayern Munich.
    September 28: Tevez ssues a statement denying he refused to come on, adding: "I believe my position may have been misunderstood."

Uploads

Effenberg: Blasted Tevez's actions.
    EFFENBERG: WHO'LL WANT TEVEZ NOW?

Former Bayern Munich and Germany midfielder Stefan Effenberg believes Carlos Tevez may struggle to find a new club after apparently refusing to come on as a substitute in Tuesday night's Champions League match against Bayern at the Allianz Arena.
    Although Tevez describes the incident as a "misunderstanding" and insists he was ready to play, Roberto Mancini said the player's career at the Etihad Stadium is "finished".
    Effenberg, who captained Bayern to their last Champions League triumph in 2001, said the Argentina forward's behaviour was unacceptable and that he, like Mancini, would never consider the player again.
    "That player would never play in the same club as me again - that goes without saying," he told Germany's Sky television, for whom he now works as a pundit.
    "There is a clear order from the coach and he disregards it.
    "That is poor behaviour and the club has got to come down hard on it.
    "Other clubs are going to have to consider whether they want to sign a player with such a character.
    "You just don't do something like that. It is disrespectful to your team-mates and is not just in spite of the coach, but in spite of the whole team.
    "I hope that they actually go through with what Mancini says and that he never plays for the club again."
    The incident formed part of a disappointing night for City in Munich as they lost 2-0.
    Stoke City boss Tony Pulis, speaking ahead of his side's Europa League tie with Besiktas tomorrow night, said of the Tevez incident: "Players get disappointed and players have got egos, but you deal with it.
    "I'm sure they will deal with it in the right and proper manner.
    "What is said and done between two people is said and done, so they have to react and do what they have to do at Man City."

Uploads

Ledley King: Pushing through injury problems
    LEDLEY KING EYES NEW SPURS DEAL

Ledley King is determined to play enough games in what he admits is the biggest season of his career to earn a new contract at Tottenham.
    The 30-year-old is Spurs' longest serving player having come through the youth ranks at White Hart Lane but his contract is up at the end of the season.
    And after managing just six games last term, King has been warned by Harry Redknapp that he must play three times that many this term if he is to stay with the club.
    King admits he needs to play more, but is confident he can achieve that and can't see himself playing for any other club.
    He said: "This is my biggest season at Spurs yet.
    "It is the first time I have been in a situation like this - when my contract is up. So it is a big season.
    "I have to prove I am still worth it. I can't see myself pulling on a shirt for anybody else at this stage of my career - although a player can never say never.
    "At the end of the day, I just want to stay fit and if I can play, let's see what position that puts me in at the end of the season.
    "It is down to me to play the games. If I don't play enough games, it is a difficult position.
    "We will see what the situation is when all is said and done. If I get to 20 [games], I am not going to stop! I will keep playing as many as I can.
    "At the moment I am just trying to bed in, get a bit of fitness and hopefully not get any niggles. If I can do that, I can get stronger and keep playing."
    King admits it can be frustrating for him to spend most of his time in the gym and pool preparing for a game.

"I have to work in the gym to keep everything strong and spend time in the swimming pool. It is only that I don't get on the field," he said.
    "Harry sees me on the field just the day before the game, which is why he says I do nothing.
    "But the manager gives me a lot of confidence. He believes in me and it is nice that, if I can get myself right and keep myself fit, he still gives me the opportunity to go out and play. Some managers wouldn't, so I am grateful he stuck by me.
    "It is only three games at the moment, so I have got to keep working hard and stay fit for the rest of the season.
    "Last season I had a groin problem and have worked hard over the summer to get that right.
    "Then I came back feeling good about the groin and the knee needed a bit of a clean-up again. That messed up my pre-season and obviously knocked me back.
    "I was hoping to get a proper pre-season in this year, but that didn't happen, so I have had to build back up again. Hopefully it is behind me now."
    Watch Tottenham v Arsenal live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1 from 1600 BST on Sunday.

Uploads

Distin: Contract talks
    DISTIN IN TOFFEES TALKS

Everton defender Sylvain Distin says he is in talks with the club over extending his deal at Goodison Park.
    The Frenchman, who arrived on Merseyside from Portsmouth in 2009, is out of contract with the Toffees next summer.
    Reports suggest Everton have offered the 33-year-old a new one-year deal, but he is holding out for a further year.
    "We have started talks and I am encouraged by that," Distin told the Daily Express.
    "It's going well, quite positive. The club has one of the best atmospheres in the dressing room."
    Distin is entitled to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club in January.
    The stopper has established himself as a key member of David Moyes' squad since his 5million arrival and has started their five opening Premier League games this season.

Uploads

Lee Cook: Forest trial.
    COOK SET FOR FOREST TRIAL

QPR winger Lee Cook has joined Nottingham Forest on trial with a view to a possible loan move.
    Cook has made just one appearance for Rangers this season - in the Carling Cup defeat to Rochdale last month - and was left out of Neil Warnock's 25-man Premier League squad.
    The 29-year-old, who has been plagued by injuries in recent years, is set to turn out for Forest in a reserve-team game against Stoke on Wednesday.
    Dutch winger Riga Mustapha, who is a free agent after leaving Bolton earlier this year, will also feature at Ilkeston Town's Manor Ground.
    Both players have been training with Steve McClaren's side since Monday.

Uploads

Taylor: Sees further problems ahead.
    TAYLOR FEARS TEVEZ REPEAT

Players' chief Gordon Taylor fears there will be more problems for managers like the one Roberto Mancini found himself dealing with in Munich as top clubs move towards a squad-based system.
    Mancini has already stated his desire that Carlos Tevez should never play for Manchester City again after claiming the forward refused to warm-up during Tuesday night's 2-0 defeat to Bayern in the Allianz Arena.
    Yet that was not the only sign of player unrest as Edin Dzeko also reacted poorly after being replaced by Nigel de Jong.
    With players now on huge salaries and, in some instances, with egos to match, Taylor is concerned about their potential reaction to not being automatic first choice.
    "I think a lot more players are going to get upset," he said.
    "There will be top players not happy at being substituted, others who are not too pleased at being asked to retrieve a situation.
    "But it is part and parcel of the game now.
    "Players have to be professional, although sometimes managers have to be aware of the sensitivities involved too."
    Taylor would be happy to get involved to try and resolve the situation should either party request it.
    Such was the strength of Mancini's statements last night however that a peace deal seems highly unlikely.
    In the first instance, Tevez is almost certain to be fined two weeks' wages - over 400,000 - with City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak then having the final say over what should happen next.
    A January sale appears most likely, although given the wealth that is driving City's rise up the footballing ladder, the option of either cancelling the player's contract, or leaving him to rot in the reserves until the end of his present deal in 2014 cannot be ruled out.
    "It is a serious situation," said Taylor.
    "It wasn't a good thing to happen.
    "It would have been difficult enough to accept if Manchester City had been winning. The fact they were losing 2-0 made it harder to understand.
    "The owners of Manchester City clearly want a club with a good reputation. That was not the case last night.
    "A statement has been made by Roberto Mancini that the player will not play for the club again. Now it is for the owners to deal with."

Uploads

Chimbonda: Signs for Doncaster
    PASCAL CHIMBONDA JOINS DONCASTER

Doncaster have signed former Tottenham defender Pascal Chimbonda on a short-term deal, subject to a medical and approval from the Football League.
    The French full-back has been out of contract since being released by QPR in April this year but new Rovers boss Dean Saunders has swooped to secure the 32-year-old's services until the January transfer window.
    Chimbonda featured for a Doncaster second-string side in a 3-2 victory over a Chesterfield XI today and will be looking to help move his new club off the foot of the npower Championship table.

Uploads

Elland road: Home of Leeds
    LEEDS CHIEF DEFENDS TRANSFER POLICY

Leeds chief executive Shaun Harvey has defended the transfer policy at Elland Road after the club's failure to attract "six or seven" summer targets.
    Chairman Ken Bates has come in for increasing criticism since the end of last season for a perceived reluctance to invest in players, but Harvey insists Simon Grayson has a playing budget "a majority of managers in this division would be happy to work with".
    Harvey told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "This summer the challenge was to improve a side who had finished seventh in the Championship. As a process of natural progression, we wanted to go for automatic promotion or failing that the play-offs. It's still our aim.
    "There were six or seven players who we enquired about, Bosmans in the main and players who we believed would help us step beyond where we were.
    "Gareth McAuley was a prime example. He had a choice to make and he chose to go from Ipswich to West Brom because West Brom were in the Premier League. That happened time and again."
    Harvey added: "It was nothing to do with money. It was primarily down to opportunity and options. At this moment we're competing for the same players as the bottom seven or eight sides in the Premier League. We weren't losing out to Championship clubs."