Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-09-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-09-11

Latest Transfer Update at 30-09-11

Arsene Wenger: Backed by Stan Kroenke
    KROENKE STICKS UP FOR ARSENE WENGER

Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke has given his unequivocal backing to manager Arsene Wenger and declared: "Arsene's our man."
    Wenger has been in the spotlight following the north London side's poor start to the season as well as their failure to secure any silverware since 2005.
    The departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri have also added to a feeling of unrest but Kroenke remains a staunch supporter of the Frenchman and pointed to his record of developing young players such as Fabregas.
    Kroenke told the Daily Telegraph: "Maybe it is one of those times when we have to work our way through, maybe with some young players.
    "Arsene has been really good at developing these guys, people like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jack Wilshere.
    "There are some really good players that Arsene thinks can be special.
    "Sometimes you go through periods like that.
    "Arsene's our man. As an owner, that's who we put our confidence in."
    Kroenke also insists it is up to the Frenchman how long he wants to continue as manager at the Emirates Stadium.
    He said: "With Arsene, it's his decision and only he will know that.
    "He still maintains himself in tremendous physical shape. You have to have stamina and energy.
    "Arsene has great energy and that will always be his decision."
    Fabregas' protracted move back to Barcelona finally came to fruition this summer when the Spain midfielder switched to the Nou Camp in a 35million deal.
    Fabregas arrived at Highbury as a teenager in 2003 and Kroenke revealed the decision to not stand in the former captain's way was down to the manager, as was Nasri's departure for Manchester City.
    "That was between Arsene and him," the American added. "I like the kid but I'm not going to change his mind.
    "Arsene made the decision.
    "If we wanted to be really hard about it, we could have done but Arsene believed that it was the right way to do it.
    "I also get it on Nasri.
    "If we didn't do something on Nasri people would be looking at us next summer and saying, 'Why didn't you do this?'
    "We bought in a lot of resources that we can use on other players.
    "I honestly didn't make the decision on Nasri.
    "Of course the board talks about these things but at the end of the day, that's for Arsene."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-09-11

Frank Lampard: Can't imagine disobeying his manager
    FRANK LAMPARD WON'T CONDEMN TEVEZ

Frank Lampard has refused to put the boot into Carlos Tevez, even though the Chelsea midfielder insisted he could not even imagine disobeying an instruction from his manager.
    Talk of player revolts has dominated the sporting agenda this week, with Tevez allegedly refusing to come off the bench in Manchester City's Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich on Tuesday night.
    Earlier that evening, Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas was forced to rubbish erroneous reports Lampard had stormed down the tunnel in Saturday's Barclays Premier League victory against Swansea, the third game out of four the player had started on the bench.
    Lampard then proved he was a fighter, not a sulker, when he marked his return to the side with a superb performance in Wednesday night's 1-1 Champions League draw at Valencia.
    The contrast with the alleged behaviour of Tevez could not be greater but Lampard was in no mood to condemn his fellow professional.
    "I didn't actually see what happened in Munich, but I can understand peoples' frustration," he said.
    "Some people might make the wrong decision at the wrong time and regret it afterwards, so I'm not going to dig anybody out.
    "I wouldn't turn down coming on and all that sort of stuff. I don't imagine myself doing that but I understand people's frustration and we deal with it in different ways.
    "I'll always keep working. That doesn't mean I'm happy on the day but I don't think the manager or any person would expect you to be happy or otherwise you're picking up your money to be content to stick your bum on the bench."
    Speculation about Lampard's future has been rife since he lost his place in the England side at the start of the month.
    The 33-year-old also appears to be part of Villas-Boas' rotation policy at Chelsea and that could mean he finds himself on the bench again at Bolton on Sunday.
    However, with it being the Blues' final game before the international break, the midfielder could get his wish to play back-to-back matches.
    Chelsea could find themselves six points behind Manchester United and Manchester City when they kick-off at the Reebok Stadium in a season which Lampard declared was the most competitive he had encountered during his career.
    He said: "I would say it is the most competitive, with the inclusion of Manchester City as a major force from what they've spent and the team that they've assembled and squad.
    "Liverpool have invested during the summer and brought themselves right back into the equation and Tottenham Hotspur have been there for a few years so, once you add them to the established four, you really have got a competitive league.
    "For all we joke that you'd like to win the league at a canter, I think you can always be very happy that we are in what we all see as the best league in the world."

Uploads

Fabio Coloccini: Toon want him to agree new deal
    PARDEW HOPES FOR COLOCCINI DEAL

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is hoping Jonas Gutierrez's decision to sign a new long-term contract will persuade skipper Fabricio Coloccini to do the same.
    The 28-year-old Argentinian midfielder this week put pen to paper on a four-year deal and Pardew, who had hoped to persuade Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and Joey Barton to stay on Tyneside this summer, is keeping his fingers crossed that compatriot Coloccini will follow suit.
    The central defender will lead the Magpies into Barclays Premier League battle at Wolves on Saturday hoping to extend their eight-game unbeaten start to the season.
    Pardew said: "Of course Colo is on the agenda, there is no doubt about that. He's had a terrific start as captain.
    "We have a different look to the team and he is part of that, and securing Jonas will only help in the process of trying to secure Coloccini."
    Mick McCarthy believes persuading striker Kevin Doyle to sign a new contract reinforces his belief that Wolves are not a selling club.
    Doyle put pen to paper on a new four-year contract on Thursday to end constant speculation about his future.
    McCarthy revealed summer capture and new skipper Roger Johnson had asked if Wolves would sell their best players - including Doyle and winger Matt Jarvis - before moving from Birmingham.
    The Wolves manager said: "When I was taking to Roger Johnson in the summer, his worry was Doyle and Matt Jarvis might go.
    "I was honest and straight with him and I said 'if Man United came in for them, we'd have to sell them'.
    "But Jamie O'Hara wouldn't have come here (from Tottenham) if we were selling our better players. We want to re-sign them and keep them."
    Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is wary of the threat of Charles N'Zogbia, but does not think he is at his best yet with Aston Villa.
    N'Zogbia will face his old club tomorrow for the first time since making a summer switch to Villa Park.
    Martinez said: "He is only happy when he is on the pitch and when you get players like that it is just a matter of time before they are successful.
    "But it is going to take time to be himself. I hope he hits his best moment of form further down the season.
    "If on Saturday he can have a quiet moment it would be much appreciated."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Not Roberto Mancini's problem
    MANCINI: TEVEZ 'IS NOT MY PROBLEM'

Roberto Mancini insists the row regarding Carlos Tevez's apparent refusal to play for Manchester City is "not my problem".
    The debate over Tevez's reported reluctance to come off the bench to play against Bayern Munich in midweek has dominated the headlines over the last few days.
    Mancini revealed following the 2-0 Champions League defeat in Germany that Tevez had ignored his instructions to come on during the second half as City tried to get back in the game.
    The City chief was left fuming by Tevez and claimed the Argentine was 'finished' with the club as a result of his actions.
    Tevez in a statement blamed "confusion on the bench" for the "misunderstanding", denying he refused to play in Munich.
    The 27-year-old has been suspended for two weeks by City as they investigate the chain of events before making a decision on the future of the forward.
    Mancini is trying to draw a line under the unsavoury incident and insists he is focused on helping City achieve success.
    "It is finished," said Mancini.
    "I am the manager, our focus is regarding the Premier League, the Champions League and the FA Cup.
    "Other things - it is not my problem."
    Manchester City tried to pull down the shutters on the Tevez incident by warning journalists not to ask Mancini about the issue.
    Mancini appeared at his usual Friday press conference but beforehand City's chief communications officer Victoria Kloss read out a statement in which she said the briefing would be suspended if Mancini was asked about Tevez.
    Kloss said: "Questions in relation to Carlos Tevez in general, in relation to his alleged conduct on Tuesday evening and the potential ramifications of that conduct and in relation to his future at the football club is strictly off limits and will not be answered.
    "Breaches of this will result in the press conference being suspended. This decision has been made to protect the interests of all parties and safeguard the integrity of the investigation that is currently taking place."

Uploads

Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Roberto Mancini.
    FERGUSON HAILS 'STRONG' MANCINI

Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini for his "strong management" in dealing with Carlos Tevez' apparent refusal to play in midweek.
    The Manchester United boss would not speak directly about Tevez, a former player at the club, but said Mancini had handled the incident well.
    Ferguson told a news conference: "I think that Roberto Mancini has come out and shown his strength of character, his strength of management and I think that is important.
    "We have all experienced our own difficulties in management and you cope with it as best as you can. In my own experience strong management is important and there is nobody more important than the manager at a football club."
    Wayne Rooney has recovered from a hamstring injury and will be available for Norwich's visit on Saturday, as will be Javier Hernandez and Jonny Evans who missed the Champions League match against Basle on Tuesday.
    Chris Smalling and Nemanja Vidic are still injured but should be back after the international break along with Tom Cleverley.

Uploads

Manuel Almunia: Loan move
    ALMUNIA JOINS WEST HAM ON LOAN

West Ham have signed experienced goalkeeper Manuel Almunia on a month's loan from Arsenal.
    With regular number one Rob Green sidelined for up to six weeks with a knee injury, manager Sam Allardyce has moved quickly to bring in Almunia on an emergency deal.
    The 34-year-old, who has been at Arsenal since 2004, will be in the squad for the Hammers' trip to Crystal Palace on Saturday.
    Allardyce was pleased with his 13th signing, and also sent his thanks to the Gunners for allowing the move.
    "We've been hot on the phone and secured an excellent signing in the short term," Allardyce told West Ham TV.
    "It's a big thank you to Arsene Wenger and Arsenal for allowing us to get such a high-class and experienced goalkeeper to come and fill in for Robert for the time being."

Uploads

Gus Poyet: New deal
    NEW BRIGHTON DEAL FOR GUS POYET

Brighton manager Gus Poyet has signed a new five-year contract.
    The Uruguayan, 43, guided Brighton to the npower League One title last season and they currently lie fifth in the Championship.
    Poyet's assistant, former Tottenham defender Mauricio Taricco, has also agreed a new five-year deal.
    Chairman Tony Bloom told the club's official website, www.seagulls.co.uk: "This is great news for the club.
    "Gus and Tano are key to all of our immediate and long-term plans. When you consider the position the club was in when they arrived, what they have achieved here in less than two years is outstanding."
    Poyet added: "I am delighted to extend my stay here as the last two years have been absolutely fantastic."

Uploads

Moyes: Talked of Liverpool's spending power
    DAVID MOYES LAMENTS FINANCIAL DIVIDE

Everton manager David Moyes has admitted to frustration, but not envy, at the spending power of Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish since he took charge at Anfield earlier this year.
    The financial divide between the two clubs is currently vast, with Dalglish backed by wealthy owner John W Henry, whilst Moyes has to juggle his squad with one hand tied behind his back given the constraints.
    The last two transfer windows underline the gulf that exists as Dalglish has spent in the region of 120million on star names such as Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Jose Enrique, Stewart Downing and Sebastian Coates.
    In stark contrast, Moyes' signings have been four on loan, and one for a nominal fee in Apostolos Vellios, yet he continues to pull rabbits out of hats, and will be asked to do so again by the fans for Saturday's 216th Merseyside derby.
    Asked simply to comment on Tim Cahill's remark that the derby game is "magical", Moyes was quick to turn the focus on the financial situation.
    "It's always been a tough game for us because we're up against good opposition, and Liverpool have always had a level of finance which has allowed them to buy a different level of player than us," said Moyes.
    "Over the years we've tried to be competitive, tried to get as close to them as we can.
    "We know it's a big rivalry in the city, and I'm aware of that, but most people are aware there have been differences over the years between Liverpool and Everton, and all of it has been financial."
    This year, in particular, has been particularly tough for Moyes, who added: "This time last year Liverpool weren't in great condition.
    "They were maybe in a similar situation to us here where they were having to give money back to the banks.
    "The supporters were quite restless at the time, but they've had new owners, a change of manager and brought in new players, so they have turned it around quite a lot.
    "That's there for everybody to see and everybody knows that. At this present time we've not got the funds Liverpool have had given to them in the last year. That's given them a big help."
    Suggested to Moyes there was a touch of frustration in his remarks, he replied: "Yeah, only because we got really close last year, and things have changed very quickly for Liverpool in that time.
    "Last season we had a really good side at times. I think we showed that, although not come the end of the season because our league position wasn't good enough.
    "But with a little bit of help then we could have been up there competing."
    Despite the huge sum of money Dalglish has enjoyed spending, Moyes insists there is no hint of green in his eyes.
    "I don't think I look with envy. I'm just stating facts. It has never been any different here," said the Scot.
    "We have always worked within our means, and in many seasons the same things have happened and we've still always found a way of getting there, so hopefully we can do that again this year.
    "It has been hard to get above Liverpool in the league table, and we have done everything we can to win as many derby games as we can, which has been tough.
    "We've tried to be competitive against them, tried to hang onto their shirt tails, and at times try to get above them, but as I say, it's not been easy."
    At least Moyes knows that when it comes to a derby there can be no greater leveller, and he is expecting the same on Saturday at Goodison Park.
    "When you cross the line it doesn't matter what has happened, who has paid what. It's just two teams competing," added Moyes.
    And when it comes to enjoying a drink with Dalglish after the game, wine might not be the order of the day.
    He said: "Scotsmen together is always good, but I don't know with Kenny what to drink. Irn Bru. I think that's us."
    Tim Cahill should be fit to play despite sustaining severe bruising to a shin after an apparent stamp by Vincent Kompany in last week's 2-0 defeat by Manchester City.
    Watch Everton v Liverpool live on Sky Sports 2 and HD2 from 1245 BST on Saturday.

Uploads

Arsene Wenger: Wants to be the best
    WENGER WANTS ARSENAL TO BE THE BEST

Arsene Wenger celebrated his 15th anniversary in charge of Arsenal on Friday by insisting his ambition remains to make the Gunners the best club in the world.
    The Arsenal manager also thanked owner Stan Kroenke for a message of resounding support after the club's troubled start to the season.
    Wenger has not won a trophy for six years and the club's struggles will be brought into sharp focus on Sunday in the north London derby against Tottenham at White Hart Lane.
    Wenger, however, is certain the Emirates trophy cabinet will soon be required.
    He said: "The vision is to make this club the best club in the world, it is as simple as that. To carry through the values we think are important in the game. I'm very proud of the values I defend in the game and we will try to continue to do that."
    When asked how long it might take to put Arsenal on top, Wenger added: "In my life I hope. You may say to me I have to live very long, I don't know. I want to try to give my best because only the best is acceptable and if I don't manage to do it I am very sad. Like when we had a bad start to the season, it is uncomfortable but we keep going."
    How long did Wenger think he would last at Arsenal when he arrived in 1996.
    "One week, two weeks if I was lucky," he said. "I didn't know. I was in exactly the same frame of mind as I am now. I try to do well and see if it works or not, rejected or not, can win or not, like any manager when you come in somewhere."
    Wenger had earlier received a rousing vote of confidence from Kroenke who said: "Arsene's our man. As an owner, that's who we put our confidence in. Maybe it is one of those times when we have to work our way through, maybe with some young players.
    "There are some really good players that Arsene thinks can be special. Sometimes you go through periods like that."
    Wenger admitted he was grateful for the public support, adding: "There is never need to panic, panic doesn't solve problems. I am grateful he (Kroenke) has confidence in my abilities to sort our problems out because that is not easy to find in football.
    "I have been very lucky to spend 15 years at this club. I live in the present and the future so I hate to look back. I use the history to improve, that's what I want to do. I am grateful and lucky to have spent so much time at this club."
    Wenger also urged the fans to respect former striker Emmanuel Adebayor who returns to the Emirates with Tottenham, amid his one-year loan spell from Manchester City.
    Adebayor has been a focus of abuse in the past and Wenger said: "That's what you don't want. You want people to support the team in a positive way, all the hate, a football game is a fantastic day that everyone has to enjoy and with a positive atmosphere it is even more fantastic so let our fans get behind our team and forget about the rest. If the game is great the attention will be on the game."
    Arsenal winger Theo Walcott looks set to return following a knee injury along with Gervinho (hamstring) but central defender Laurent Koscielny is out.
    Defender Thomas Vermaelen's return from an ankle injury, however, looks like being a couple of weeks later than anticipated, some time towards the end of October.
    Wenger refused to accept the derby was any more important than usual but admitted: "It is a very important game, you know the next game is always the most important in your life. We do not try to play down its importance at all, I just think it's the same home or away, if you play well you win.
    "Every win makes you stronger, especially when you come from a difficult period. For us it's important to get wins together and get the confidence back."