Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-10-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 01-10-11

Luka Modric: Tottenham star

Arsene Wenger knew all about the talents of Luka Modric before Tottenham signed the Croatian midfielder.
    The Gunners boss takes his Arsenal team to Tottenham on Sunday for a north London derby which doubles up as a celebration of his 15th anniversary in charge.
    If Arsenal are to come away with anything they will need to contain the play-making talents of the man Tottenham refused to sell to Chelsea in the summer transfer window.
    Chelsea were not the first club to take an interest in Modric, though, with Wenger having previously checked him out.
    Wenger said: "We knew Modric before Tottenham knew him. We played against Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League and he played in the same team as Eduardo against us.
    "At the time we had (Cesc) Fabregas, not a bad player. But we were interested in Modric. He is very mobile. I'm not surprised how well Modric has done, I knew he would do well."
    Arsenal winger Theo Walcott looks set to return on Sunday following a knee injury along with Gervinho (hamstring) but central defender Laurent Koscielny is out and Alex Song is likely to feature.
    It could be a defining match in Arsenal's season as they attempt to recover from a wretched start.
    Yet Wenger, whose last major trophy was lifting the FA Cup in 2005, insists he has lost none of his ambition and believes he still has the drive to make Arsenal the best club in the world.
    Wenger said: "I miss winning titles. Very much. You only have one way, to fight and win again.
    "I feel part of what is very important for us is to transform the club into a top-level club, into a club that has a fantastic future potential with values that we think are very important in the game.
    "The style of play, the way we behave to develop young players, to give a chance to people who deserve it in life.
    "That for me is very important in the history of the club. The vision is to make this club the best club in the world, it is as simple as that."
    Wenger urged the Arsenal fans not to abuse Emmanuel Adebayor, the former Arsenal striker who is on loan at White Hart Lane from Manchester City.
    "You want people to support the team in a positive way," Wenger said.
    "A football game is a fantastic day that everyone has to enjoy and with a positive atmosphere it is even more fantastic so let our fans get behind our team and forget about the rest."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-10-11

Paolo Di Canio: Looks to sign goalkeeper on loan

Swindon boss Paolo Di Canio will look to bring in a goalkeeper on loan after Phil Smith picked up a groin injury in the 2-0 defeat at Macclesfield on Friday night.
    The 31-year-old was replaced by Mattia Lanzano early in the second half at Moss Rose and Di Canio confirmed after the match that he will look to bring in a shot-stopper on a temporary basis.
    The Italian revealed that he doesn't have any targets in mind yet but he will be hoping to make his move before Tuesday night's trip to Exeter in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

George Donnelly: On loan at Macclesfield

Macclesfield boss Gary Simpson has hinted that he will look to extend George Donnelly's stay at the club after he scored the opener in the 2-0 win over Swindon on Friday night.
    The 23-year-old joined Macc on an initial one-month loan deal from Blue Square Bet Premier outfit Fleetwood and he has played five games during his stay at Moss Rose.
    "I can't really say too much about that at the minute but we're trying to do something," said Simpson after Friday night's game.
    The Silkmen chief has admitted that he has no other plans to boost his squad.
    "We've got no money to bring anybody in.
    "I know we've made a bit of money this season but to be fair that just goes to fill a hole.
    "To be honest I'm quite happy with the young squad we've got and as long as they keep doing what they've been doing then hopefully it will improve and get better."
    Simpson hailed "a great three points" against Swindon with Ross Draper on target with a neat volley for Macc's second goal.
    "We've rode our luck a little bit but I think in the end it was two great strikes from us and I'm just pleased for the lads and supporters that we've managed to have another home win."

Arsene Wenger: Has come in for criticism

Harry Redknapp admits he could never see Arsenal sacking Arsene Wenger and has backed the Frenchman to drag Tottenham's north London rivals back in to the title race.
    Following the summer sales of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, Arsenal have struggled this term, winning just two out of their opening six Barclays Premier League games.
    Defeats to Liverpool, Blackburn and a humiliating 8-2 hammering at Manchester United left the Gunners lingering above the relegation zone after their worst start to a season in 58 years.
    Although they have recently picked up wins against Swansea and Bolton, Arsenal look a pale shadow of the side that last challenged for the title until their spring collapse.
    That has many Arsenal fans wondering if, after 15 years of competing for trophies under Wenger, the team are now set for a major decline.
    Some fans have questioned whether it is time for a new man at the helm, but Redknapp thinks the criticism aimed at the Frenchman is unfair and expects his opposite number in Sunday's north London derby to remain in his post for some time.
    "I don't ever see it happening. I don't see him going. It's not a possibility," Redknapp said.
    "He is a top manager. Look at his record. It's fantastic.
    "To go through a season unbeaten - what an achievement. Lots of managers have bad times. They come in and then they never have good times.
    "He is having a bit of a dip, but he will come out of that. The season has only just started.
    "It certainly wouldn't help Arsenal (if he was sacked)
    "I don't think it's ever an issue that they would sack him but he is a top manager and they know they are well off."
    Arsenal currently languish 13th in the table with the joint-second worst goal difference in the Barclays Premier League.
    Redknapp is sure that the Gunners will be challenging for at least a top-four position by the end of the year, though, and thinks they may be aided by the fallout over Carlos Tevez's feud with Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini.
    "Arsenal will be up there at the end of the season, for sure," Redknapp continued.
    "I think when everybody is fit they are a good side.
    "They play fantastic football but have had a bit of a blip but it's nothing.
    "When you have problems it can destabilise you a little bit and it maybe a difficult little spell for (City)."
    Redknapp last season regularly bemoaned the barracking of bosses on football phone-ins, claiming that managers were being put under undue pressure by impatient fans.
    The Spurs manager himself was shocked to come in for criticism from his own supporters last term despite leading the club to the Champions League quarter-finals.
    Redknapp has been similarly bemused by Wenger's critics.
    "I'm very surprised," Redknapp said.
    "It's a fickle game we are in now.
    "You listen to phone-ins now and fans ring up saying 'we were rubbish today, we didn't play well' blah, blah, blah.
    "They say to them 'you were at the game then obviously.'
    "But they say 'no I didn't go to the game. But I did hear it on the radio.'
    "Everyone has got an opinion now."
    Redknapp goes in to Sunday's clash full of confidence having strung together three successive league wins thanks partly to a shrinking injury list and the positive impact of new signings Scott Parker and Emmanuel Adebayor.
    The Tottenham boss has lost just one north London derby in the league since he took over and last season led the club to their first win at Arsenal in 17 years.
    "They'll be difficult to beat but we are a very good team as well so I fancy our chances against anybody," the 64-year-old said.
    "I am confident in my own team. I just feel we have good players here.
    "Scott Parker and Adebayor coming in have made a massive difference to us.
    "Sandro coming back from his long-term injury gives us strength.
    "He's a fantastic player so we look strong."

Sam Allardyce: Still wants Carlos Tevez

Sam Allardyce watched his West Ham side salvage a point from a 2-2 draw at Crystal Palace - and then left the door wide open for Carlos Tevez to rejoin the club.
    Argentinian striker Tevez has been suspended by Manchester City and told he will never play for them again after his apparent refusal to go on as a substitute at Bayern Munich on Tuesday.
    West Ham's initial enquiry about a loan deal for the player who saved them from relegation in 2007 was given short shrift this week.
    But Allardyce has insisted he would love to sign Tevez and claimed his alleged disruptive influence holds no fears.
    "If he would like to join us and the chairman would like to pay for him then yes, why wouldn't you want a top-class player like that?" said the Hammers boss.
    "I've worked with some world-class players in my time, they win you games when you least expect it.
    "With a goal record like his why wouldn't you want him?
    "I've had worse than him. I've had some bad ones in my time. Just keep playing him, that's the answer."

Steve Bruce: Will keep going

Defiant Sunderland boss Steve Bruce vowed to see his mission through after watching his side drag themselves back from the brink of disaster.
    The Black Cats trailed 2-0 at home to West Brom within five minutes of kick-off at the end of a week which started with a 2-1 defeat at promoted Norwich and then saw defender Titus Bramble end up in a police cell.
    But they dragged themselves back into the game to snatch a 2-2 draw and spare Bruce some of the additional criticism which was undoubtedly heading in his direction.
    The manager said: "Listen, it's what I do. I am a football manager and you do it.
    "It would have been quite easy to stay at Wigan, you know, no expectation. But I wanted to come and have the challenge of this.
    "It has certainly taught me a lot, but I am determined as ever to see it through and if there are any doubters, I will prove them wrong, which I have always tried to do."
    Bruce's employment prospects have been a topic of debate on Wearside for several weeks, and despite assurances from the boardroom, but the ground shifted alarmingly under his feet within five stomach-churning minutes.
    James Morrison was allowed to meet Chris Brunt's fourth-minute corner to head home and when Shane Long ran through the home rearguard to slot past goalkeeper Simon Mignolet seconds later, the home fans were in rebellious mood.
    Bruce's shell-shocked players eventually responded to dig themselves out of a hole.
    Nicklas Bendtner's 24th-minute strike, which flew past keeper Ben Foster with the help of a deflection off Gareth McAuley, gave them hope, and Ahmed Elmohamady levelled two minutes later as both men claimed their first goals for the club.
    Ask what his emotions were at 2-0, Bruce said: "I just thought, 'This is going to test them, and I will find out what some of them are made of', because it was the ultimate test, let's be honest, and I thought they were terrific."
    Sunderland enjoyed the better of what followed, but were unable to snatch victory as a compelling contest ebbed away, although Bruce withdrew skipper Lee Cattermole 20 minutes from time to prevent him picking up a second yellow card, much to the midfielder's disgust.
    The manager said: "You are not going to tell me that was a yellow card in front of me, but then everybody is looking for him to make the next one so they can send him off."

Blackburn fans protest against their manager.

Blackburn boss Steve Kean insisted he is "100 per cent" committed to fighting on at Ewood Park despite a section of Rovers fans calling for his head during the 4-0 loss to Manchester City.
    Second-half strikes from Adam Johnson, Mario Balotelli, Samir Nasri and Stefan Savic eased City's midweek European disappointment and heaped more woe upon Kean.
    Fans called loudly for his dismissal after Nasri knocked in the third goal and a section of the crowd produced 'Kean Out' banners after a result that leaves Rovers second from bottom.
    But Kean, asked if he intended to see the job through, replied: "100 per cent". He added: "If the fans want to vent [their frustration] I'd rather they vent it at me than the team.
    "I told the lads I will battle on for my players. Even the ones I didn't bring to the club I consider my players. I'll take the criticism on my shoulders and take it away from them."
    Kean believes the criticism is particularly unfair given his side's heroic win over Arsenal a fortnight ago, and the fact they were simply undone by City's awe-inspiring quality.
    Kean added: "A couple of weeks ago it was very buoyant dressing room. Obviously we're disappointed with the manner of the goals because I felt in the first half our game plan was working well.
    "A couple of weeks ago we played Arsenal and got a fantastic result and most of the fans went home very, very happy. We've lost today and the fans are not happy, nor are the players, nor am I.
    "But I think we have to put it in perspective. For the first 55 minutes the shape of our team was good and we minimised the chances of Manchester City, and it has taken a very good goal.
    "We reacted by feeling a little bit sorry for ourselves and conceded another goal. It is certainly not something I am enjoying but I can take it on the chin."

Wenger: Not amused by latest speculation

Arsene Wenger has reacted angrily to fresh claims that Manchester City are lining up a January bid for Robin van Persie.
    The Arsenal boss has seen a number of his squad depart to the City revolution taking place at the Etihad Stadium in recent seasons.
    Whilst most of the deals have met with his approval, the recent signing of Samir Nasri has left a bitter taste in Wenger's mouth.
    Now the link with Van Persie has further irked Wenger, who has dismissed claims that his Dutchman would be available.
    Van Persie has recently stated he was not looking to sign a new deal, with his current contract due to expire in less than two years, and it is this that has ignited speculation about his future.
    But Wenger is clearly not amused, as he said: "Anybody who wants to sign one of our players, everybody has my phone number and can call me.
    "I never said I was unhappy with Man City but I don't know why we speak about transfers. I will never answer any more.
    "Robin is under contract until 2013. This is a story created to create a story. There is no truth in it."
    Wenger insists he would not sell in the January window no matter what, and also pointed to City's riches in the striking department.
    "Why should we sell players in January?" he said.
    "Man City already have problems because they have too many strikers, they pay half of the league for them to play away somewhere. Why should they want to buy strikers? It's very difficult to understand."
    Wenger is also annoyed City are able to loan Emmanuel Adebayor to Arsenal's north London rivals, Tottenham, by paying most of his wages.
    "I know the salary of Adebayor," Wenger said.
    "I don't know who pays it but somebody must pay it. I don't agree with the rules but my job is to adapt to the rules.
    "If the Premier League wants my opinion, I will give them my opinion with pleasure."

Andrew Johnson: Wants to stay

Andrew Johnson wants to extend his contract with Fulham past the end of the season.
    The 30-year-old was the Cottagers' standout performer in the midweek Europa League defeat of Odense in Denmark.
    Johnson netted both goals in the 2-0 victory, leading to praise from manager Martin Jol.
    The Dutchman also revealed after the game that Johnson has turned down a new two-year deal with the club, but the striker insists he wants to remain at Craven Cottage past the expiration of his current deal next summer.
    "Of course I want to stay at Fulham," he said.
    "I think all you've got to do is look at my performance against Odense.
    "You're asking a player whether he wants to stay at the club but you've just got to look at what I've done on the pitch.
    "The work ethic I put in week in, week out when I play and when I come on as a sub.
    "I want to stay but that will take care of itself in time. I've been in talks with the club for a while but it has been a busy period.
    "We've just come out of the transfer window, we've had new players settling in so it is something that is ongoing but hopefully it will get resolved."
    Johnson's brace was the catalyst to Fulham ending an eight-game winless streak that stretched back to mid-August.
    The poor run of form sees them lie 17th in the Barclays Premier League, although the former Everton striker insists the squad have remained confident throughout.
    "We've got an experienced team, experienced lads so we always knew that it was going to change sooner or later," he said.
    "We know we have been playing well enough it is just getting that bit of luck in front of goal.
    "We got that against Odense and could have had a few more.
    "The team is creating a lot of chances so we've just got to keep it tight at the back and keep stepping it up at the top.
    "We're delighted with that win and I am delighted with the two goals as well."
    The striker's performance at the Odense Stadion has strengthened his call for a starting berth against QPR on Sunday
    Johnson has now netted six goals in nine Europa League games but insists team success is more important than personal glory.
    "All I can do is keep working hard in training day in, day out," he added.
    "When I am selected and called upon I do the best I can.
    "I like to think I did that against Odense and I was delighted with two goals, more so with the second one.
    "But it was a great team performance away from home.
    "We showed great character and, like I say, we've not won in a while so it is really important going into Sunday's game with a win under out belt."