Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 02-10-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 02-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 02-10-11

Drogba: Current deal expires at end of the season

Andre Villas-Boas is confident Chelsea can convince Didier Drogba to pen a contract extension when the time is right.
    The Ivorian's current deal is set to expire next summer and he is yet to commit his future to the club past that point.
    The Blues insist there is no rush to tie the powerful striker down, with discussions regarding fresh terms ongoing.
    Villas-Boas believes Drogba will sign when he is ready, with it difficult to imagine him breaking his emotional ties with the club after seven years at Stamford Bridge.
    "I don't see it as a big issue," said the Blues boss.
    "Players who are attached emotionally to this club - and Didier is attached emotionally to this club - will eventually renew their contract.
    "So I go into no panic on that situation."
    Chelsea are also hoping that Jose Bosingwa will extend his association with the club.
    They activated a clause in his contract last year that kept him on their books for a further 12 months, but will see that agreement come to an end in 2012.
    Talks have been opened with the 29-year-old full-back, with chief executive Ron Gourlay involved in the discussions, and Villas-Boas hopes his fellow Portuguese will pen a new deal.
    "When you address renewals, it's always a good time to motivate people," he said.
    "It's a situation where we are on top and judging according to what we feel best.
    "We are in talks at the moment about the situation with the CEO and eventually with the players which we feel are right."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 02-10-11

Ferguson: Still has long-term view

Sir Alex Ferguson claims he could remain in the Manchester United hot-seat for another four years.
    The legendary Scot has already occupied the position for 25 years, overseeing a glittering era in the Red Devils' history.
    He came close to stepping down in 2002, but a change of heart saw him shelve his retirement plans indefinitely.
    Speculation continues to rage regarding his Old Trafford tenure, with various dates offered up as potential end points.
    Ferguson, though, has always maintained that he will stay on for as long as he is enjoying his work and for as long as he feels he can do the job.
    He may be fast approaching his 70th birthday, but the Scot insists he has no plans to walk away any time soon, with it possible that he could remain in the post until 2015.
    "I've got three or four years left," said Ferguson.
    "I feel good. But when I do leave, I will leave in place a strong young team that will continue to succeed for my successor."
    Ferguson has helped United to dominate English football and claims his success is down to creating a mentality that is geared more towards the collective effort than individual reward.
    He added: "It's all about team spirit.
    "In a match, I only need eight of my players to be on top form. If the other three aren't up to it, it's not €serious. The other eight do the work for them.
    "There has only been six matches where I've had all 11 players perform at their very best. It's like swallows. They always fly together in a group, in a V formation, and those at the front do the majority of the work. And they alternate regularly.
    "If one swallow flies out of formation, two others go to get him and bring him back into the group. It's the same in my teams - sacrifice, friendship, and the giving of oneself to the team."

Richards and Kompany: Happier times with Tevez

Micah Richards has become the first Manchester City player to publicly criticise Carlos Tevez.
    The Tevez saga has engulfed City after it emerged the Argentine refused to come off the substitutes bench against Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League.
    Whilst Tevez himself has tried to deny he refused Roberto Mancini's instruction, the club have suspended him and not made any further statements on the issue whilst they conclude an internal investigation.
    Mancini said after the match that Tevez was 'finished' as far as he was concerned and now Richards has emerged to criticise his team-mate for his actions in Germany.

"Carlos' reaction in Munich was wrong. It was something he shouldn't have done," Richards told The People.
    "There was always going to be a bit of tension because Carlos is a top player and hasn't been getting in the team. But there was no sign that he was going to do what he did.
    "I like Carlos. He's probably still the best player that I have played with and I'll always be grateful he came to City and helped us achieve what we did last season.
    "He's been our best player for the last couple of years and won't be happy the manager has been picking other strikers ahead of him.
    "But we are a top team now. We can't just be about one or two players because if you want to challenge for the big trophies it has to be about the strength of your squad.
    "There's a lesson for us to learn here. If we want to be a top team then as individuals we have to sacrifice ourselves. I went through it myself. I might not be a big name like Carlos Tevez but I am an England international and I thought I should be playing in every game.
    "You do get emotional. Your pride does hurt. I found it hard when I wasn't in the team and at times I did struggle to just keep my head down and say nothing.
    "I've been rotating with Pablo Zabaleta. At left-back it's been Kolarov and Clichy. It's the same with the midfielders and the forwards.
    "Aguero and Dzeko have been on fire this season and when Balotelli came on last week against Everton he scored an important goal.
    "I thought Carlos was just waiting for his chance to show what he could do.
    "You're never happy if you aren't playing, but we've got a big squad and we've all just got to use it."
    City captain Vincent Kompany also insisted that the Tevez saga has not affected the squad.
    "No doubt people will be expecting Manchester City to fall apart after what happened in Munich, but that isn't going to happen," said Kompany.
    "Every team will lose games and have setbacks, but there won't be many games more difficult than Bayern away.
    "Okay, so some things have happened that aren't good, but people should just calm down a little bit.
    "We will bounce back very quickly. I can't give any answer about Carlos Tevez because I don't know what was going through his mind and I don't know what happened because I was on the pitch.
    "I have been here three years and I know there are people out there who want us to fail.
    "But I don't care. All the other players don't care. What outsiders think about our club means nothing to us.
    "The negative things people say about us bring us closer together as a team. The only people we care about are the fans, players and people of Manchester City.
    "As captain I can tell you there is no problems between the players.
    "We have a great group, a strong group. The atmosphere has been good this season.
    "We will have our disappointments along the way, but we will learn from them and we will get stronger."

Joe Cole: Enjoying life at Lille

Joe Cole has admitted he would be willing to consider a permanent switch to Lille when his loan spell comes to an end.
    The midfielder will see out the season with the reigning French champions after falling out of favour at Liverpool.
    A change of scenery has helped to breathe new life into Cole's career after he stagnated somewhat at Anfield.
    The England international is enjoying his football again and that has showed in his performances.
    Cole's loan agreement will reach a conclusion next summer, but he has refused to rule out the prospect of remaining in Ligue 1.
    "I could join Lille permanently," he said.
    "If they are happy with me, and vice versa, I don't see why not. Lille have quality players and there's an unbeatable mood in the dressing room. I benefit from it every day and I am enjoying myself.
    "There is a superb team spirit at the club. I love playing here."

Shawcross: Loving life at Stoke

Defender Ryan Shawcross has expressed his eagerness to stay at Stoke.
    The Potters skipper has played every minute in the club's Premier League and Europa League campaigns so far this season and is determined to remain at the Britannia Stadium.
    The 24-year-old centre back, who started his career at Manchester United could return to Old Trafford as Sir Alex Ferguson has an option to buy him back, with Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish also keeping tabs on the player.
    He told the Sunday Mirror: "I always said that I wanted to play in Europe and Stoke City have given me that opportunity, so my future is here.
    "I really do love it here, the fans are great and the manager is top class. He is probably the biggest factor in me wanting to be here because I really enjoy working under him.
    "He keeps making me a better player and has shown unbelievable faith in me.
    "With the group of lads we have here too, I don't think anyone would want to leave."
    Tony Pulis' side have let in only five goals from 12 games in all competitions, and Shawcross believes nobody should be surprised.
    "We've brought in some top class defenders. Matty Upson and Jonathan Woodgate are both seasoned internationals so nobody should be surprised," he added.
    "We've kept clean sheets against Chelsea and Liverpool and defended well against Manchester United.
    "We've stood up to that, so there's no reason why we cannot stand up to whatever else is thrown our way."

Francisco Sandaza: Seven goals already

Derek McInnes admits that he is wary of increasing interest in his in-form strike partnership, as Cillian Sheridan and Francisco Sandaza continue to set the Clydesdale Bank Premier League alight.
    St Johnstone's very own 'SAS' helped to put Kilmarnock to the sword with a goal either side of the break in a 2-1 win, ending the Ayrshire side's unbeaten record at home this campaign despite a Steven Anderson own goal initially levelling matters.
    "My worry is everyone will talk - and everybody comes looking at them. That's a real concern," said McInnes.
    "But as long as we've got Fran and Cillian we'll enjoy working with them. I said at the time that I felt we were fortunate to get both players within our budget and both players are showing their quality.
    "They'll get a lot of headlines - and that's right, because they're making the difference - but it was a team effort."
    Sheridan, currently on loan from CSKA Sofia, was the first to threaten as his driving run culminated in a low, testing drive which Cammy Bell tipped away marvellously.
    That proved to be a precursor to Sandaza's seventh goal of the campaign. The Spaniard was fed through by a super David Robertson pass and showed typical composure to slide the ball past Bell.
    "I take the blame for the first goal. I thought I could get the ball in front of Sandaza, but it was too quick for me," Killie captain Manuel Pascali said.
    Pascali was also involved in the equaliser as he challenged with Steven Anderson for a deep Dean Shiels delivery.
    Anderson's touch appeared to prove decisive in causing the ball to loop agonisingly over the helpless Peter Enckelman.
    But in a week where Killie's Italian captain has made headlines for a bust-up with Rangers defender Kirk Broadfoot, he was clearly keen to be positive as he said: "It's my goal; I'm taking it. It's my goal, 100%"
    Kilmarnock will look back on a plethora of missed chances, including Rory McKeown thundering a shot off the crossbar in the first half.
    Enckelman also enjoyed an inspired afternoon at Rugby Park, superbly denying Zdenek Kroca, James Fowler and Paul Heffernan.
    Those missed chances proved costly as the Irish half of the Saints' deadly duo struck.
    Sandaza capitalised on a poor touch from Mohamadou Sissoko to play Sheridan through on goal, and 22-year old rounded Bell to slot home his fourth goal in three games.
    "He's a modern striker. He possesses presence, he's a good finisher, he's got pace to burn and when he's on his game he's a confident big boy," McInnes said of his match-winner.
    "He's had an unhappy time in Sofia in terms of playing games and it's important, if you've had that, to make sure your next move is a good one. Hopefully he's found that with us."
    Naturally, Mani Pascali was more concerned by his side's self-destructive streak in the build-up to the winning goal.
    "It seems like every time we make a mistake at the back we get punished," Pascali bemoaned.
    "But this is football and we need to show character.
    "We need to prepare well for the next match and not make any errors because they all seem to lead to goals - while we have hit the bar three or four times in the last couple of matches."

Silva: Frustrated by a lack of action

Joao Silva is determined to find regular football and admits he would be willing to leave Everton in order to get games.
    The Portuguese youngster is yet to force his way into the senior set-up at Goodison Park.
    He was snapped up from CD Alves last year and arrived in England with a glowing reputation.
    The highly-rated striker is still waiting for his first-team bow, though, and took in a loan spell at Uniao Leiria last term.
    With opportunities still limited with the Toffees, he has returned to Portugal again this season with Vitoria Setubal.
    Silva is tied into a three-year deal at Everton, but claims he will look for a permanent move elsewhere if David Moyes continues to overlook him.
    "I will consider leaving Everton if I receive assurances of first-team football elsewhere," he said.
    "Everton are a big club but I need playing time and a club that has confidence in me and gives me opportunities."
    Reports suggest Benfica are closely monitoring Silva's situation and could be tempted to make a move.

Steve McClaren: Nottingham Forest exit

Steve McClaren has resigned as Nottingham Forest manager.
    The former England manager quit shortly after Forest were beaten 3-1 by Birmingham at the City Ground.
    McClaren was feeling slightly happier when Ishmael Miller put Forest on course for a first home win of the season.
    But Birmingham, back in domestic action after their Europa League win over Maribor, hit back in the second half through Chris Burke and Chris Wood, who scored twice to leave the Forest fans calling for the head of McClaren
    That defeat, coupled with a 5-1 hammering at Burnley on Tuesday, prompted post-match talks with Forest chairman Nigel Doughty on Sunday evening and it was later confirmed McClaren had quit.
    In the aftermath of Tuesday's defeat, David Pleat left his part-time consultancy role with the club, leading many to believe McClaren would be at the helm for the foreseeable future.
    That has not proved the case, though, with Forest now once again searching for a new boss.
    Following spells in charge of FC Twente - where he won the Eredivisie title - and Wolfsburg, McClaren returned to English football to take the reins at Forest following Billy Davies' sacking in the summer.
    The former England manager failed to galvanise the Midlands club, though, with them languishing 21st in the npower Championship after 10 games having reached the play-off semi-finals in each of the last two years.
    Forest have confirmed McClaren has left the club without any compensation and will not be seeking any.
    It has also been announced Doughty will step down as chairman at the end of the season after 10 years in the role with the search for the new man starting immediately.
    He will still continue to support the club financially.
    1961: Born Fulford, York, May 3.
    1978: Joins Hull City.
    1985: After 178 games and 16 goals for the Tigers, joins Derby.
    1988: After 25 games for the Rams - and eight on loan at Lincoln - moves to Bristol City.
    1990: Joins Oxford.
    1995: Becomes assistant to Jim Smith at Derby after quitting as Oxford youth team coach.
    1999: Joins Manchester United as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant manager.
    2001: February - Member of new England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson's coaching staff.
    March - Ferguson blocks any continued involvement for McClaren in the England set-up.
    June - Becomes Middlesbrough manager.
    2002: June - Part of England's coaching staff as England are knocked out by Brazil in the quarter-finals of the World Cup.
    November - Leaves position as Eriksson's assistant to concentrate on Middlesbrough.
    2004: February - Wins Carling Cup after 2-1 defeat of Bolton - the first major trophy in Boro's history.
    May - Rejoins England coaching staff for Euro 2004.
    2006: May 4: Named as Eriksson's successor as England manager.
    May 10 - Middlesbrough beaten 4-0 by Sevilla in the UEFA Cup final.
    August - Starts England tenure with 4-0 friendly win over European champions Greece.
    2007: March - Pressure mounts as England draw with Israel and struggle against Andorra in Euro 2008 qualifiers.
    October - England beat Estonia 3-0 at Wembley, but lose 2-1 away at Russia to leave qualification out of their hands.
    November 21 - England lose 3-2 to Croatia at Wembley and fail to qualify for Euro 2008.
    November 22 - Sacked by the Football Association after an emergency board meeting at Soho Square.
    2008: June 20 - Returns to club management with Dutch club FC Twente.
    2009: Leads Twente to second-placed finish in the Eredivisie and enjoys runs to the Dutch cup final and UEFA Cup knockout stage.
    October - Signs contract extension after an excellent start to the 2009/10 season.
    2010: May 2 - Leads Twente to their first ever Eredivisie title with a 2-0 win at NAC Breda on the final day of the season.
    May 11 - Leaves Twente to join Bundesliga side Wolfsburg on a two-year deal.
    2011: February 7 - Parts company with Wolfsburg following a string of poor results.
    June 13 - Appointed manager of Nottingham Forest on a three-year contract, succeeding Billy Davies.
    September 2 - Says he is staying with Forest despite talk suggesting he is set to leave over budget concerns.
    October 2 - Resigns following 3-1 defeat at home to Birmingham.

Carlos Tevez: Set to meet with City officials

Carlos Tevez will be interviewed by Manchester City officials on Monday morning regarding his actions in the Champions League defeat against Bayern Munich, sources close to him have told Sky Sports News.
    City manager Roberto Mancini claimed after the European match on Tuesday that Tevez had refused to come on as a substitute.
    Tevez denied the allegations but Mancini stated that he was 'finished' at the Etihad Stadium and City decided to suspend the Argentine striker for two weeks whilst an internal investigation was carried out.
    The investigation is now set to reach a critical stage on Monday, with sources close to Tevez informing Sky Sports News that he will attend an inquiry.
    It is understood that he will speak to the club's lawyers and HR staff as City try to get to the bottom of what actually happened in Germany.
    Tevez has received support from some quarters and a number of his team-mates, who hope the matter can be resolved, but Micah Richards became the first City player to publicly criticise him over the weekend.
    The 27-year-old's future had already been the subject of intense speculation after he voiced a desire to leave the club during the transfer window, and the latest developments have only served to increase discussion.
    He has made no secret of the fact that he misses home and reports suggested on Sunday that he had been denied permission to travel back to Argentina.
    However, Tevez has denied these stories that Man City had prevented him from heading back to his homeland.
    He is quoted as saying: "Contrary to misleading stories and headlines in some newspapers, reports about my travel are totally false."