Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 05-10-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 05-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 05-10-11

Ferdinand: MLS link denied by agent

Rio Ferdinand intends to ignore any overtures from Major League Soccer and concentrate fully on winning his place back for Manchester United and England.
    After being left out of United's starting line-up for the weekend win over Norwich, Ferdinand was then ignored by Fabio Capello for England's Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro on Friday.
    Given Phil Jones' outstanding form following his summer arrival from Blackburn, there has been plenty of speculation that Ferdinand, who is nearly 33 and has been plagued by fitness problems for three years, might be eased out at Old Trafford.
    With that backdrop, it is not a surprise that ambitious MLS outfit Chicago Fire have emerged as a potential suitor.
    However, now into his 10th season at United, Ferdinand has made it perfectly clear he still feels there is a major role for him to play with the Red Devils.
    "It has been a very frustrating period for all concerned," Ferdinand's long-standing friend and representative Jamie Moralee told Press Association Sport.
    "What he wants to do is put his injuries behind him and start showing the form that even last season he produced against some of the very best forwards in the world.
    "Rio understands there is some great talent at Manchester United. But he is up for the challenge of that and I am sure he has a big part to play.
    "He is now in his 10th season at United. He still has a great hunger and desire to win trophies. It is the type of challenge he thrives on."
    Ferdinand has never been a stereotypical footballer.
    His wide-ranging business interests, including his own restaurant in Manchester and digital magazine, emphasise how he will not be short of things to occupy his mind when retirement eventually beckons.
    However, having been part of a club where Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Edwin van der Sar have all starred at the top level well into their 30s, Ferdinand does not believe that day is looming just yet.
    However, having spent this summer in the United States with United - where Chicago were one of their opponents on a very successful pre-season tour - it is easy to see why the defender would be so attractive, given the boost in profile the MLS has received from the arrivals of Ferdinand's one-time team-mate David Beckham and former Arsenal star Thierry Henry.
    "I understand the reasons why someone like Rio would be attractive to them," said Moralee.
    "There is an appeal on and off the pitch because he could help retain the global status provided by Beckham and Henry.
    "But I must stress, these stories are nothing to do with Rio.
    "We have never discussed anything beyond life at Manchester United because that is all he cares about."
    To the extent that Ferdinand has been actively helping Jones, Chris Smalling, Jonny Evans and even striker Danny Welbeck on the training ground.
    Welbeck spoke warmly about the former West Ham skipper on Tuesday, insisting there is no way anyone should start writing him off just yet.
    It is a message Ferdinand is keen to get out himself.
    "When you enter your 10th year at a club, a testimonial is something in the background, but that is something else that has never been discussed either," said Moralee.
    "It doesn't matter whether it is the 10th year, the 11th year or the 13th, when the time is right, we will sit down with the club and talk about it.
    "But for now it is not on the agenda. The only thing that matters is getting back out on the pitch for Manchester United on a regular basis again because there is so much he still wants to achieve with them."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 05-10-11

Beckham: Has reportedly been in contact with Eriksson

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson hopes to bring David Beckham to Leicester in a player-coach role.
    The 36-year-old's contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy ends later this year and, with a place in Great Britain's Olympic squad up for grabs, he has been heavily linked with a move back to England.
    QPR and Tottenham, with whom he trained last winter, have been touted as possible destinations, but Leicester boss Eriksson is hoping to link up once again with the man who captained England during his tenure as manager.
    Eriksson told The Times: "I have already had that discussion with him. I spoke to him about Leicester.
    "Beckham, he will never say no to me - he says, 'Sven, we'll see, we'll see'.
    "The big thing is what he wants to do when his contract finishes in LA. Will he want to go on playing?"
    Eriksson knows the npower Championship side, who have received substantial investment from their Thai owners, will face stiff competition from other clubs in England, while Paris St Germain are also reported to be interested.
    However, the Swede hopes the added incentive of a training role will help tip the balance.
    "We will give him a whistle and he can go out (on the training pitch) straight away," he said.
    Eriksson was the first overseas manager to take charge of England, paving the way for current boss Fabio Capello.
    With the Italian's reign to end this summer, the Football Association are expected to turn to an Englishman this time around.
    Eriksson, though, thinks Arsenal's French boss, Arsene Wenger, is a realistic candidate.
    "I don't know what (the FA) are going to do, who they will take," he said.
    "Reporters talk about (Harry) Redknapp as the people's choice and I'm quite sure if they could get Wenger, they would take him.
    "If you consider him foreign (after 15 years in England), I don't know."
    He continued: "Arsene Wenger can adapt to everything. He lives for football.
    "You see how much it matters to him every game, but you also see when it's a European Championship or a World Cup, he is working on it, for French television, so he doesn't miss anything. That's his holiday.
    "I'm sure he can do that (job), but it's just a name."

Kean: Under pressure from Rovers fans

Blackburn manager Steve Kean insists his meeting this week with the club's owners will be business as usual.
    Rovers are 19th in the table after losing five of their opening seven Barclays Premier League fixtures this season, piling the pressure on Kean.
    The club only narrowly avoided relegation from the top flight last term under the Scot, who was installed as Sam Allardyce's successor by Indian poultry firm Venky's shortly after they completed their takeover at Ewood Park in November 2010.
    During and after Saturday's 4-0 home defeat to Manchester City, a section of Blackburn fans loudly voiced their dissatisfaction and held up 'Kean Out' banners.
    Rovers are on tour in India during the international break and co-owner Venkatesh Rao has said that a "very big discussion" is going to take place about the club's situation, with a "plan of action" formulated.
    As far as Kean is concerned, though, it will be nothing out of the ordinary.
    "We always have a sit down and a talk," Kean told Sky Sports News. "I think people will say that I have been summoned or called, but I have heard that probably on my last six or seven trips.
    "I come here once a month to sit down with the family and talk about all aspects of the club and the games, the development of the younger players, the integration of the new players, what we want to do in the next transfer window, the funding of that.
    "We speak about all aspects and what I will be doing is exactly what I normally do, going through all that."
    Kean stated his "100%" commitment to fighting on as Blackburn boss after the match against City and remains confident in his ability to get Rovers back on track despite the criticism of some fans.
    "It can get to you but not for one minute (do I doubt myself)," he said.
    "When I go on the training ground and see the lads responding, and get the backing of the family and the majority of the fans, then I am happy in my work and as long as I feel that we will turn things around.
    "I have no doubt about that."
    Blackburn last week announced that assistant manager John Jensen would be leaving the position and Kean expects to have a new number two in place before Rovers' league match at QPR on October 15.
    "We've made a little bit of progress and spoken to a few people," Kean said.
    "I've received a few CVs and lots of calls. I have spoken with the family at length and the person I want to come in will be the person who will be sat in the dugout beside me, so that's very positive.
    "I am confident that before our next league game, we will have somebody in the building that will be a very good assistant to myself, who will give good knowledge and feedback to the players and continually improve not only the young ones, but the senior ones that are getting on in their career as well.
    "It is important for them to see a little bit of the coaching side as well, and we are going to try to put a programme together to put the senior players through their coaching licences."

Tevez: Centre of controversy

Carlos Tevez's advisor has insisted the striker did not refuse to play for Manchester City - and claimed that post-match comments by the player suggesting he had done so were mistranslated by a club interpreter.
    Kia Joorabchian said the Argentina striker always went out of his way to play - even when injured. He also contrasted City manager Roberto Mancini's "very direct" style with that of Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger and claimed a number of top Premier League stars had "refused to play" in the summer.
    Tevez is currently serving a two-week suspension pending a club investigation that he allegedly disobeyed Mancini's instructions during last week's Champions League defeat by Bayern Munich. Tevez's initial post-match comment was translated by a City employee as: "I did not feel right to play so I did not."
    Joorabchian told the Leaders in Football conference: "One of the biggest problems is that in a situation right after a game questions are asked and things are taken out of context.
    "If you don't have a very professional interpreter you have a problem. The interpretation was incorrect. Both questions and both answers from Carlos were interpreted incorrectly."
    Sky News have since had the interview interpreted independently, but in their translation Tevez still appears to confirm he decided not to play.
    That translation states Tevez saying: "It's just that I didn't want to go in because I thought I was unwell. I wasn't emotionally well, and I thought it better not to. I felt that it wasn't suitable that I go on because my head wasn't in the right place."
    Joorabchian claimed several Premier League stars had refused to play for clubs during the summer but their managers handled the situation differently.
    He said: "This is a personal relationship between two people. We have seen this happen all through the summer.
    "We have seen [Cesc] Fabregas, [Samir] Nasri and [Luka] Modric - the list goes on - but they are the high-profile names who have handed in transfer requests, refused to travel, refused to play. That is a problem in general.
    "My opinion is they refused to play in a different way and those managers and the clubs handled them very differently.
    "Roberto has his style of management and it is very direct and very different to Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Carlo Ancelotti."
    Joorabchian said TV pictures showed the situation on the bench in Munich to be confused, with a row between City boss Roberto Mancini and striker Edin Dzeko, who was angry at having been substituted.
    He said: "What happened on the bench in Munich was one of a lot of confusion as shown on the TV footage. The events of Munich have been judged prior to the real outcome coming out.
    "We see Nigel de Jong going on and Carlos still warming up and a God-awful row between Roberto Mancini and Edin Dzeko. You see this row carrying on and Carlos sits down. Carlos then stands up, there's more shouting and he sits back down. The next thing we hear is what Roberto says.
    "I have known Carlos since he was an 18-year-old and you cannot criticise his commitment in terms of wanting to play.
    "He has played at Manchester City having taken injections, with swollen ankles. He played at Corinthians where doctors have told him not to play.
    "Carlos throughout his career is one that fights to play. If there is an issue it's because he is so eager to play."
    Joorabchian said Tevez was had been committed to City as he had joined at the start of the club's "new vision".
    He added: "Carlos joined Manchester City when he had official offers from Real Madrid and Manchester United on the table at end of May [2009]. He was one of first players to join Manchester City's new vision.
    "It's a great vision. Carlos was brought in to help and start that vision. When they didn't qualify for the Champions League at the end of his first season he took that very personally."
    Joorabchian also refused to speculate on Tevez's future.
    He said: "I cannot predict what Carlos wants to do. He has been clearly judged and condemned before the case has been fully looked into. I think the club and Carlos are in a very difficult position."

Neil Lennon: Celtic boss

Former Celtic striker Chris Sutton believes it is far too soon to even contemplate the prospect of Neil Lennon vacating the Parkhead hotseat.
    Defeat to Hearts at the weekend left the Hoops 10 points adrift of Old Firm rivals Rangers and languishing in third spot in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    In the aftermath of the result, Lennon was quoted as saying: "If results are not better soon, then I will have to look at my own position."
    But there is no doubt in Sutton's mind that his former team-mate is the right man for the job and will haul Celtic back into contention in the title race.
    He said: "Neil is his own man. The nature of the job is if results aren't going particularly well, especially at a club like Celtic, then things do change.
    "But I think it is very early days to expect the talk of Neil leaving or whatever.
    "There is a 10-point gap at the moment and it's bridgeable. There are 30-odd games left and Celtic have a few things in their favour.
    "They are due major players back from injury. They are missing last season's player of the year Emilio Izaguirre, their captain Scott Brown and Beram Kayal - people who have a big influence.
    "A couple of wins in quick succession for Celtic, and a slip-up from Rangers, and it will all turn again.
    "Neil has the strength of character to do that and he is certainly the man for the job."
    As far as Sutton is concerned, now is the time for the players to stand up and be counted and back their manager.
    He said: "I know what Neil was like as a player, I know he expected the highest standards as a player and he will as a manager.
    "The problem he has as a manager is that he's asking people to do things and, at the moment, they are just coming up a little bit short.
    "There is a lot of pressure playing at Celtic and Rangers and when things don't go well the criticism is inevitable.
    "It's not easy playing at big clubs like these but Neil is aware of what he has to do.
    "It's about time people stood up - as Neil did as a player - and backed the manager and move the club forward.
    "Neil is doing his job, he will get the players fired up. The players need to really get a grip and work it out between themselves.
    "It's tough playing here (Celtic) but they should be wanting more out of each other and dragging more out of each other. If they do that, I'm sure they can bounce back."
    Despite their position at the summit of the SPL with an unbeaten league record, Sutton claims Rangers are far from invincible.
    He said: "I don't think Rangers are overly strong this season.
    "They have had a fantastic start to the season league-wise but I still think they are fragile.
    "If they lose a couple of players to injury, the likes of Nikica Jelavic, I think they will go through difficult times.
    "Rangers aren't the strongest side they have ever been, far from it. That's just my opinion.
    "I think they've got frailties. Celtic just need to get on a run and the sooner they do it, the better."
    Sutton was speaking at the launch of his autobiography, Paradise and Beyond.

Basham: Could go out on loan

Blackpool defender Chris Basham is willing to go out on loan in order to boost his chances of first-team football at Bloomfield Road.
    The 23-year-old, signed for an undisclosed fee from Bolton in the summer of 2010, was restricted to just three appearances last season due to injury and has found it difficult to break into the side this time around.
    Basham told the club's official website: "The first team are playing really well at the moment, they won 5-0 at the weekend and it's very difficult to change that side with the way they're playing.
    "I've been in to see the manager, obviously with me having a lot of time out with injury last year I just need to go out maybe for a month, have a good run of games and then come back again."