Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 06-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 06-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 06-10-11

Carragher: 'I've got nothing against Capello'
    CARRAGHER WANTS ENGLISH BOSS

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher believes England are "cheating" by employing a foreign manager to run the national team.
    Current boss Fabio Capello is overseeing England's final preparations ahead of Friday night's vital Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro.
    The Italian persuaded Carragher to return to the international scene at last year's disastrous World Cup in South Africa, and while the 33-year-old insists his criticism is not aimed at Capello he maintains having a foreign coach is "embarrassing".
    He told talkSPORT: "The next manager of England should be English.
    "I've got nothing against Capello, I went to the World Cup and got to know him, but that's not what international football is.
    "It's like saying if our keeper's not good enough, we'll go and get (Gianluigi) Buffon from Italy.
    "It's a form of cheating in international football and it's a bit embarrassing.
    "It's different for developing countries in Africa and elsewhere, who are trying to build the game up but, for England, such a big football nation, I don't think we should have a foreign manager.
    "Just because it didn't work out with Steve McClaren, it didn't mean we had to go for a foreign manager.
    "We should have gone for the next best Englishman."
    The 33-year-old also believes the lack of opportunities English managers get at top Premier League clubs is a contributory factor.
    He added: "If every club had an English manager, someone would have to win the league! Someone would have to win the FA Cup! And then they'd accumulate these trophies.
    "Capello had an aura and presence that maybe McClaren didn't have.
    "And it was the same with the likes of Benitez and Houllier at Liverpool, and Mourinho at Chelsea.
    "With their CVs, they've all got something about them and have won big trophies. So does that mean English managers need to go abroad?"

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 06-10-11

David Beckham: Happy at LA Galaxy
    FAMILY COMES FIRST FOR BECKHAM

David Beckham has hinted family will come first when deciding his next career move, despite being flattered by interest from Paris St Germain.
    The 36-year-old's contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy expires after the current Major League Season and PSG, who have been active in the transfer market following their takeover by the Qatar Investment Authority, have made no secret of their desire to lure the former England captain to the Parc des Princes.
    Beckham has worked previously with PSG sporting director Leonardo during his two loan spells at AC Milan and has been keeping a close eye on happenings in the French capital.
    He told sports.fr: "I had a good relationship with him when I was in Milan the first time and also when he was manager the second time.
    "He's a great sporting director and a wonderful person. I'm flattered that he wants me to come join him and the team in Paris, but I'm a Galaxy player, I live in Los Angeles, I am happy there and I play for them.
    "There are great things happening in France at several clubs, but it's an exciting time for PSG...Leonardo joining them, the money the club has, so it's an interesting club."
    Beckham and pop star wife Victoria recently had their fourth child and the former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder is adamant his family's considerations will be paramount in deciding where to go next, with clubs from Brazil and the Middle East also reportedly interested.
    "This (the family) is the number one priority, family comes first and where they are happy is where I stay, it's that simple," he added.
    "My children go to school in LA and have done for five years. They are at the age where stability is important, so we'll see. I always said I will wait until the end of the season, see how I feel physically and then decide.
    "There is no urgency on my part obviously. It is important that I focus on the rest of the season.
    "We should make the play-offs, we still have two matches to go and I will focus on the season and worry about the rest later."

Uploads

Wilshere: Happy at Arsenal
    JACK WILSHERE STAYING AT ARSENAL

Jack Wilshere has insisted he has no intention of following Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri out of Arsenal and branded criticism of manager Arsene Wenger a "joke".
    Wilshere, who was last week ruled out until February after undergoing ankle surgery, is confident he can realise all his ambitions with the Gunners.
    Nasri and Gael Clichy quit the club for Manchester City in August, while Fabregas joined Barcelona.
    Robin van Persie, Theo Walcott, Alex Song and Andrey Arshavin all have less than two years remaining on their current contracts, fuelling fears they could be next to leave.
    But star midfielder Wilshere, who signed a new five-year deal in November, told the Evening Standard: "No disrespect to Manchester City but Arsenal is the perfect home for me right now.
    "Some players have got their price but, to be honest, that's not the way I look at the game.
    "All I think about is playing at the highest level and in the top competitions so I can measure myself against the best in the world.
    "I really am happy at Arsenal at the minute. Obviously, I want to win things and I want to do it with Arsenal."
    The Gunners have made a wretched start to the season and lie 15th in the Barclays Premier League, piling the pressure on Wenger, who had already gone six years without winning a trophy.
    Wilshere said: "We do get a harder time from the critics than most teams but we haven't won anything for six years and that's not good enough for Arsenal.
    "It is harsh, though, especially on the boss.
    "He has been there for 15 years and been great for Arsenal. The criticism Arsene gets is just a joke."
    He added: "We started a bit slowly but we still feel we can finish in the top four."
    The Gunners will need to resurrect their season without Wilshere, who revealed the cause of his ankle injury dates back three years.
    The 19-year-old said: "I think I got a hairline fracture on my ankle when I was 16 in a youth team game.
    "I let it heal on its own. I later found out there was still a fracture there that I had been playing on.
    "I'll have to work on my ankles now because they are very flexible. The fitness team at Arsenal will sort me out with special exercises that I'll have to do from now on."
    Wilshere, who became a father last week, hoped his spell on the sidelines would ensure he was fresh for England's European Championship campaign.
    "Everyone says that the players always look dead for England in the summer but I should be fresh if I come back strongly and I get picked," he said.
    "It feels a long way off for me at the moment because I am walking around on crutches.
    "It'll drive me crazy but what keeps you going is the thought that you will be back on the pitch again."

Uploads

Kightly: Disappointed not to make move
    KIGHTLY REVEALS FOREST FRUSTRATION

Wolves' Michael Kightly admits he was disappointed not to secure a loan move to Nottingham Forest.
    The winger's proposed move to Forest fell through, but he is still hopeful of joining another club on loan in order to get some first-team action.
    He told Wolves' official website: "Forest is a massive club and I'd have liked to have gone there and played some games for them.
    "But it didn't work out to be the case and hopefully something else will pop up and I can go somewhere to play some games.
    "I feel if I can do that, I can get back to the best form I showed for Wolves two years ago.
    "I'm so eager to do that, it's embarrassing really. But I need to be realistic and I can't just switch it on, I need to go out and play games."

Uploads

Robin van Persie: 'I cannot predict the future'
    VAN PERSIE UNSURE OF FUTURE

Robin van Persie has admitted he does not know how his career will unfold, although he regards the Premier League as the best competition in the world and sees no reason to leave England.
    Speculation has surfaced over the Dutchman's future since he announced last month that he was in no rush to sign a contract extension at Arsenal, with his current deal set to expire in the summer of 2013.
    He did make it clear that he was happy with the Gunners, while manager Arsene Wenger also insisted there was nothing to worry about.
    Arsenal's poor form this season has nevertheless led to suggestions that Van Persie may eventually decide to follow the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri out of the Emirates Stadium in a quest for silverware.
    "I do not know (what I will do), I cannot predict the future," the 28-year-old said in The Times.
    "Everybody makes his own history and only afterwards can you see how that went."
    Manchester City have been linked with a move for Van Persie as they look to continue the progress they have made in recent years, and he has not ruled out moving to another English club.
    "I do not know," he said. "For one thing, as an indication, when I came to Arsenal we immediately beat City.
    "But in recent years much has happened in England.
    "Nevertheless, I think the Premiership is still the best league in the world, it gives me everything I want."
    Van Persie also stressed that it was not up to him to judge Wenger's transfer policy at Arsenal, following criticism of the Frenchman in some quarters.
    He said: "I'm not a technical director and coach., I have no input into it."

Uploads

Andre Villas-Boas: Backed by Bruce Buck
    BUCK: AVB COULD STAY FOR 15 YEARS

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has claimed Andre Villas-Boas could remain as manager for the next 15 years.
    Villas-Boas is the seventh boss of the Roman Abramovich era, but Buck believes the club may finally have found their Sir Alex Ferguson figure.
    Ferguson will celebrate 25 years in charge of United next month, while Arsene Wenger last week marked 15 years as Arsenal manager.
    Buck told BBC Sport: "We do envy Arsene Wenger at Arsenal and Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United in terms of longevity, but it shouldn't be longevity for longevity's sake.
    "It has to be the right guy in the job for 10 or 15 years and, in light of Andre's age, he may well be that guy."
    Villas-Boas turns 34 this month and is only his third season of full-time management.
    The Portuguese has previously said he only wants to remain in the profession for between 10 and 15 years.
    Buck added: "Everyone thinks his age might have been a negative but it's a positive.
    "He has really been able to relate to the players. He is a very organised guy who really understands football."
    Buck this week announced Chelsea's plan to buy back the parts of Stamford Bridge they do not already own in what is being seen as a precursor to a stadium move that could earn the club an extra 50million per year.
    He also admitted they need to improve their youth development policy to make further savings in the light of UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations.
    "The problem has been transfer fees paid to other clubs for new players and that's probably our biggest expense," he said.
    "The way we've tried to attack that - not as successfully as we'd have liked to be honest - is by putting a lot of money into the academy.
    "The maths is pretty simple. If you can bring a player or two through the academy every couple of years, then you're saving 10million, 20million, 30million of transfer fees."

Uploads

Steve Kean has been backed by David Dunn.
    DUNN WANTS FANS TO BE REALISTIC

Blackburn midfielder David Dunn has called on the club's disgruntled supporters to be "more realistic" with their expectations.
    Ewood Park witnessed a sustained protest against the tenure of manager Steve Kean in the wake of the 4-0 home humbling at the hands of Manchester City last time out.
    Kean and his players have flown out to India during the international break to play a friendly against Pune, which was rescheduled after being called off in pre-season following terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
    Owners Venky's, who handed Kean the reins after dismissing Sam Allardyce shortly after taking charge last year, will hold talks with their embattled boss during the trip having seen the side take just four points from their opening seven Premier League fixtures.
    But Dunn believes everyone involved with Rovers needs to show a united front as they battle to turn their season around and climb out of the drop zone.
    "Let's be a little bit more realistic. Of course we want to beat Manchester City, Manchester United and the top teams," he told Sky Sports News.
    "But at times it is very difficult, certainly with the gulf that seems to be appearing in the Premier League. Of course we are going to try and compete in every game.
    "Not for one minute am I having a go at the fans for booing - everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's the first time I've seen that inside the ground - so hostile towards individuals.
    "What I want to see as a Blackburn fan is if we are going to be the underdogs, let's be the underdogs together."
    The 31-year-old insists that the squad remain fully behind Kean and has backed the under-fire boss to lead the club out of danger.
    He added: "It is very difficult for the players to see what we saw on Saturday towards him because we know how hard he works.
    "We know how hard he works at the training ground, together with all the staff.
    "We need to be a little bit patient and I'm sure that things will turn around."

Uploads

Roman Pavlyuchenko: Could leave Tottenham
    PAVLYUCHENKO EYES TOTTENHAM EXIT

Roman Pavlyuchenko has admitted he will have to consider a move away from Tottenham in the January transfer window if he does not start to play more regularly.
    The Russian striker has been at White Hart Lane since joining from Spartak Moscow in a big-money deal in 2008.
    He has impressed at times but has struggled for consistency and is not a permanent fixture of Harry Redknapp's starting XI.
    Having been linked with a switch elsewhere in the summer, Redknapp instead opted to keep hold of Pavlyuchenko and let Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch go.
    But summer signing Emmanuel Adebayor has gone straight to the top of the pecking order and is currently being partnered by the in-form Jermain Defoe, leaving Pavlyuchenko with limited opportunities.
    The 29-year-old still feels a lot of affection for the club but is desperate to play and would be willing to leave for the good of his career.
    "I do not have much playing practice at Tottenham, although I am in very good physical shape," he said in The Sun.
    "I very much want to play football. That's why I need to start thinking now about moving clubs in the winter.
    "I love Tottenham. The team is like my second family. But if nothing changes I will agree to any loan deal. In fact, to any deal which gives me the chance to play permanently."

Uploads

Fabricio Coloccini: Enjoying life at Newcastle
    COLOCCINI HAPPY AT NEWCASTLE

Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini has hinted that he is ready to follow compatriot Jonas Gutierrez in extending his stay on Tyneside.
    Argentina winger Gutierrez put pen to paper on a new four-year deal last month, and now manager Alan Pardew is hoping to tie up Coloccini on a similar agreement.
    Asked about his future, the in-form central defender, who has a little less than two years of his existing contract still to run, told the Journal: "I'm very happy here, so we will see what happens.
    "It was important for Jonas to get his new deal too. Then he scored against Wolves, so it was a good week for him."
    Coloccini has recovered from a tough start at St James' Park to establish himself as something of a cult hero, and his appointment as captain following Kevin Nolan's summer departure for West Ham appears to have brought even more out of him.
    The Magpies headed into the break for international matches sitting proudly in fourth place in the Barclays Premier League table.
    However, Coloccini knows there could be bigger tests ahead.
    He said: "We are happy because we are working well and things are coming right for us.
    "The team spirit is different to last season. When you start well, everything is good, everyone is happy. It's different.
    "We will find out more when we have some bad times. But now the spirit is fantastic.
    "We have some good people in the changing room and I think that's the key for us to keep winning and playing well."

Uploads

Neymar: Target for Europe's top clubs
    RONALDO TELLS NEYMAR TO MOVE

Former Brazil striker Ronaldo has advised teenage star Neymar to try his luck in Europe.
    The 19-year-old has been heavily linked with moves to Spanish powerhouses Real Madrid and Barcelona over the past 12 months but has repeatedly stated his commitment to his current club Santos.
    Ronaldo, who played for both Madrid and Barca, as well as AC Milan and Inter Milan in a glittering career, is adamant, however, that Neymar needs to leave for Europe to fulfil his vast potential.
    "Leaving aside selflessness and patriotism, Neymar has to look at the things which will help him conquer the world," Ronaldo told ESPN.
    "If he can play in Europe the way he does in Brazil, very soon he would be the best player in the world."
    Ronaldo made a similar journey as a 17-year-old in 1994, swapping Cruzeiro for PSV Eindhoven, and very quickly developed into the most feared striker on the planet.
    If consulted, the 35-year-old, who retired in February, would be clear in his advice.
    "I cannot decide for him," he added. "But it is clear that if Neymar came to me for advice I would say the best thing is to go to Europe and choose the best team for him.
    "I hope Neymar is intelligent and is not just limited to Brazil."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast