Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 07-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 07-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 07-10-11

Pep Guardiola: Happy without long-term contract
    GUARDIOLA WON'T SIGN LONG-TERM DEAL

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola says he does not want to be tied down on a long-term contract because he needs to feel free to decide his future.
    The 40-year-old was promoted from Barcelona's B team in June 2008 to replace Frank Rijkaard at the helm of the senior side.
    Since then Guardiola has extended his contract with the reigning Spanish and European champions on a year-by-year basis, with his current deal due to expire next June.
    The coach told Catalan sports daily Sport: "Listen, every day I think that tomorrow I am leaving.
    "When you manage something, you have to always think that tomorrow you could go.

"I work better if I think I have the freedom to decide my future. Being tied to a contract for a long time makes me anxious and that can make you lose your passion."
    After going two years without any silverware, Barcelona have won three Primera Liga titles and two Champions League trophies since Guardiola took charge.
    Asked about his plans for the future, the Spaniard said: "I have no idea. If they still want me and I feel like it, I will stay. If they don't want me, they fire me, I will do whatever comes up."

He added: "In my profession you have to make decisions depending on what is happening. There will be a day when I no longer feel like being with my players, just as they will not feel like being with me, and at that moment I will have to go find others to make those plans for the future."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 07-10-11

Carlos Tevez: Corinthians not set to swoop
    CORINTHIANS DON'T WANT TEVEZ - FOR NOW

Corinthians are not looking to make another move for Carlos Tevez, according to their general manager Edu.
    The Brazilian club made a bid for Tevez this summer after he expressed his desire to leave Manchester City, but ran out of time to complete a deal.
    Since then, the 27-year-old Argentina international has made only two starts for City and was last week suspended by them following his alleged refusal to come on as a substitute in their Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich.
    It has left his future at the Barclays Premier League club uncertain, but Edu - the former Arsenal and Brazil midfielder - says that as things stand, Corinthians are not thinking about renewing their interest in the forward, who left them to join West Ham in 2006.
    "At the moment there are no plans to try and sign him again," Edu told the BBC.
    "I'm starting to think about our new squad for 2012 and I've talked to our coach (Tite) about what we need - but Tevez was not mentioned.
    "We are always interested in world class players like Carlos but you need to analyse if it's right for you at that time to try to sign him or not. We have not spoken to him or his agent."
    Edu has been at the Leaders in Football conference in London this week, where Tevez's advisor Kia Joorabchian on Wednesday insisted the striker did not refuse to play for City in Munich, claiming that post-match comments by the player suggesting he had done so were mistranslated by a club interpreter.
    Referring to the events in the Bayern match, Edu said: "It is very strange for me to hear that he refused to come on.
    "Every player knows that sometimes you have to be on bench, you work for the team whether you're playing or not.
    "They pay him to work for the team whether he plays or not. I was a player and I can understand that sometimes it doesn't feel good to be on the bench, but if he decided not to play that was a very bad decision."
    He added: "As things stand, we have not considered going for Tevez.
    "On Wednesday I spoke to our club president (Andres Sanchez) to see if he wanted me to make contact and start negotiations while I'm over in Europe but he said no, it's up to you to decide.
    "Of course, that could change. It's nice to be over here to see the real situation of Tevez and speak to people about him.
    "Then we can start to decide if it's right for us to try again.
    "I was talking to Manchester City in July and we tried to buy him for 40million euros but the negotiations were not easy.
    "We needed to arrange bank guarantees and other things. To organise all of that in two or three days (before the Brazilian transfer window closed) was very difficult. That's why we lost him."

Uploads

Zeljko Brkic: Linked with Tottenham
    BRKIC FLATTERED BY TOTTENHAM TALK

Serbia international Zeljko Brkic is flattered by reported interest in him from Tottenham.
    The goalkeeper is currently on loan at Siena from Udinese, where he is earning rave reviews.
    Now reports have claimed that Spurs have sent scouts to check on his progress in recent weeks.
    "I have heard that Tottenham scouts are looking at me," he told Serbian daily Sport.
    "But at the moment I am fully focused on Siena.
    "People in the club say that they are satisfied with me and I am very flattered.
    "Hard games are ahead, some great challenges in Serie A and I hope to raise the level of my performances even more."

Uploads

Bristol City: Search for new boss continues
    ROBINS CONTINUE MANAGER SEARCH

Chairman Colin Sexstone has revealed that Bristol City will have a shortlist of five or six names by the end of Friday as they look to appoint a successor to Keith Millen.
    Millen paid the price for a poor start to the season when he was sacked earlier this week, and the club immediately began looking for a new manager.
    While they have made it clear it is more important to get the right man than make a swift appointment, Sexstone is already narrowing down the search.
    There have been 'more than 50 serious applications' and Sexstone has already begun interviewing for the position.
    He told the club's official website: "It's been very busy; there's been a big response from managers and coaches within the game, from across the world.
    "By close of play on Friday we'll probably have completed the first stage with the five or six selected managers.
    "I know everyone wants a manager quickly, and so do we, but we've got to do it properly.
    "We know there are no certainties in football but we want to be as sure as possible that we can get the right person for this job."
    A number of managers have been linked with the role including Dave Jones, Mark Robins and Derek McInnes.

Uploads

Andreas Hinkel: Freiburg move
    FREIBURG SWOOP FOR HINKEL

Freiburg have signed former Celtic defender Andreas Hinkel on a free transfer.
    Hinkel has been without a club since the expiration of his contract with Celtic at the end of last season.
    The German international is thought to have signed a deal until the end of the season with the option of a further 12 months.
    The 29-year-old was happy to make the move to Freiburg as he bids to get his career back on track.
    "I am very happy that I have signed for Freiburg and the waiting is over," Hinkel told the club's official website.
    "I want to give my best and do all I can to ensure Freiburg stay in the top-flight."
    "I am very pleased to return to Bundesliga action and it is great that I have joined such a well-run club."

Uploads

Terry Brown: Extends McNaughton deal
    McNAUGHTON EXTENDS DONS STAY

West Ham defender Callum McNaughton has extended his loan spell at AFC Wimbledon for another month.
    The 19-year-old centre-half has made six appearances since joining Terry Brown's Dons last month and will now stay on until November 9.
    McNaughton made his West Ham debut earlier this season but it was not a successful evening as he was sent off during the Hammers' disappointing Carling Cup defeat to Aldershot.

Uploads

Jelavic: Would like to play in England one day
    NIKICA JELAVIC COMMITTED TO RANGERS

Nikica Jelavic admits he would love to play in England one day but has assured fans he has no plans to quit Rangers just yet.
    The striker was the subject of a 6.5million bid from Leicester, and reported interest from Fenerbahce, but the Scottish champions were able to retain the services of one of their key players.
    Jelavic believes Rangers will retain the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title again this season and revealed how the prospect of more silverware ensured he would remain at Ibrox.
    "In all honesty, I am very happy here," the Croatian told Rangers Monthly.
    "While there was a good offer from Leicester, that is not a club I want to move on to if I am to leave.
    "Fenerbahce's proposal was really interesting but I wanted to stay at Rangers because we have a very good chance of winning the title again this season.
    "At the moment, I'm really not thinking about any new clubs. I enjoy it in Glasgow, my family are happy here too and I still have three years on my contract.
    "For me, the best league in Europe is in England and I would like to play there one day, although Spain and Germany are also very attractive.
    "It is natural that I should want to play in the best competitions, and it would be nice to do that at some point, but I'm really not thinking about any of that at the moment."
    Jelavic netted an impressive 19 goals in his debut campaign despite spending almost four months on the sidelines through injury.
    His tally stands at six this season and, although conceding he was slow off the mark, the striker insists he has even more to offer this term.
    He said: "There is still lots of scope for progression and improvement. With every new year, you need to get better.
    "You might start a season and get the first five games in the side because of what you did in the last campaign but if you're not scoring you will be out again.
    "I feel I need to prove myself all over again and, as a striker, my job is to score many goals and to keep the team at a high level. Hopefully I can keep doing that.
    "I am starting to feel better because I didn't start this season the way I wanted to.
    "I am not so satisfied with my form overall but it is getting there now.
    "I had a few little injuries before but, game by game, I hope to be better than I was last season."
    Former Celtic striker Chris Sutton this week claimed Rangers were fragile and that injury to a key player, such as Jelavic, could scupper their title ambitions.
    But Jelavic believes their 4-2 win over the Hoops in the first Old Firm derby of the season was enough to suggest that Rangers will go on to claim a fourth successive SPL championship.
    He said: "Between us and Celtic, I think we are the better team and we showed that in our game with them last month. We just destroyed them.
    "We showed good team spirit and we let everyone see we are a team which can go on to win the title again because we were better than Celtic.
    "Our squad is bigger and stronger than it was last season.
    "We are in front at the moment and that is good but the competition is long and we must keep things going. I feel we will do that."

Uploads

Raul Albiol: Determined to win his place in the team
    ALBIOL TO FIGHT FOR MADRID PLACE

Real Madrid's Raul Albiol has dashed the hopes of Premier League clubs trying to sign him by committing his future to the Spanish giants.
    The 26-year-old was a target for Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal over the summer, as they tried to add his defensive expertise to their backlines.
    Albiol had fallen out of favour with Jose Mourinho last year which had triggered the interest in his services from these suitors.
    However, the Spain international has no intention of turning his back on the illustrious team from the Spanish capital.
    He told Spanish radio station Cadena Cope: "The season is like a long-distance race. I haven't had many minutes in the early part of the season but I'm working hard to force the manager to pick me.
    "It's a difficult challenge but nobody has spoken to me about leaving the club. Football is all about the present and we must work hard.
    "Between now and December, there are a lot of games and I have to make sure I improve with every game."

Uploads

Jefferson Farfan: Has yet to commit his future to Schalke
    FARFAN COY ON MALAGA RUMOURS

Schalke striker Jefferson Farfan has refused to comment on speculation regarding a move to Malaga but admits he intends to return to play in Peru one day.
    The 26-year-old has been a big hit at the Veltins-Arena since signing from PSV in 2008 but has just a year left on his current deal.
    The Bundesliga outfit have already offered Farfan and new three-year contract and are expecting a decision from the striker by the end of the month.
    Rumours have since emerged of a January move to Malaga, who have embarked on an extensive spending-spree of late thanks to the wealth of owner Sheikh Abdullah Bin Nassar Al-Thani.
    When quizzed on the rumours Farfan insisted he was concentrating solely on Peru's World Cup qualifier with Paraguay in Lima this weekend.
    He did, however, admit that one day he would like to return to his homeland and play for old side Alianza Lima.
    "I know by things that I have read in the Peruvian press that it is being said that I may be transferred to Malaga in the next transfer window," said Farfan.
    "But I must say that in this moment I have my mind focused on the national team.
    "On the other hand I don't dream with playing at Alianza Lima some day because I know that I am going to play at Alianza."