Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 10-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 10-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 10-10-11

Nicolas Anelka: Interests Anzhi Makhachkala
    ANZHI EYEING ANELKA AND VAN PERSIE

Player-coach Roberto Carlos has revealed yet more Premier League stars are on Anzhi Makhachkala's radar, with Nicolas Anelka and Robin van Persie in the frame.
    The big-spending Russian club hit the headlines in the summer when they made Samuel Eto'o the highest-paid player in world football with a deal worth in excess of 250,000-a-week.
    Billionaire Russian Suleyman Kerimov is financing the club and despite already making huge investment, they are still looking for more big names.
    Having already been linked with England coach Fabio Capello, along with midfielders Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, Roberto Carlos admits they have other targets in the Premier League.
    "Anelka is not the only player. Nene from PSG and Van Persie from Arsenal are players we are following," the Brazilian told TV show Canal Football Club.
    He also confirmed that the club are still tracking Brazilian wonderkid Neymar.
    "Neymar? I talked to him. If Real, Barca or Man United cannot pay the transfer fee, we will pay it. Suleyman Kerimov can offer what he wants."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 10-10-11

Tom Cleverley: New Manchester United deal signed
    TOM CLEVERLEY SIGNS NEW MAN UTD DEAL

Tom Cleverley has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester United.
    The deal will keep the midfielder at Old Trafford until 2015 and is a reward for an outstanding start to the season which would almost certainly have seen him win his first England cap against Holland had the game not been called off.
    One of the substitutes who transformed the Community Shield clash with Manchester City, Cleverley then started four successive Premier League games, including the impressive home victories over Tottenham and Arsenal, before suffering ligament damage to his foot at Bolton last month.
    Since then, the 22-year-old has been sidelined, although manager Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping to have the Basingstoke-born player back for Saturday's trip to Liverpool.
    "Tom is one of the brightest prospects in the English game," said Ferguson.
    "For a young boy, he has a good footballing brain which, when coupled with his energy and ability, makes for a player with a fine future ahead of him.
    "It's the United way to encourage our young players to make their mark in the first team and Tom has grabbed that chance with both hands."
    Like so many promising English youngsters, Cleverley has benefited enormously from the time he spent on loan.
    In his case it was an integral role in Wigan's successful fight against relegation last season that toughened him up.
    Even so, he was not expected to make such rapid strides, and fitness permitting he can expect to be given a chance to prove his senior international credentials during the build-up to Euro 2012.
    "It's been a fantastic start to the season for me, breaking into the first team and getting an England call-up," he said.
    "Having grown up at the club, I'd love to be able to make a contribution to United winning more trophies.
    "We have a squad with great ability and I can't wait to get started again."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Still wanted by former club
    CORINTHIANS STILL WANT TEVEZ

Corinthians director of football Edu has confirmed the club are still interested in signing Carlos Tevez.
    The former Arsenal midfielder was quoted last week suggesting the controversial Manchester City forward was no longer in their thinking.
    But speaking exclusively on Sky Sports News, Edu has confirmed they are very much still interested in luring their former star back to Brazil.
    Corinthians tried and failed to sign Tevez in August, something Edu blamed on their transfer window shutting before the European one.
    "It was quite difficult to sign him because at the time it was shortly before our transfer window," explained Edu, who said he would hold talks about Tevez.
    "Now we are here [in England] and we will talk and see what the situation is and we will look to sign him in the summer.
    "I will talk to the president - we offered 40million euros and now the money we had we have spent some of as that is football.
    "We want to see how Tevez is and what his situation is, we will see if we can do a deal - he is very famous in Brazil and everyone loves him, and the fans want him."
    Edu confirmed he had met with Tevez's agent Kia Joorabchian at the recent Leaders in Football conference, but insisted they did not talk about the Argentine.
    "I spoke to him [Joorabchian] at the congress, but very formal not really about Tevez yet - we are quite friendly and have a good relationship but not about Tevez yet," said Edu.
    "It is a lot of things to think about. Carlos Tevez has a lot of things around him."
    Edu himself starred for Arsenal during his time in England and he cannot understand why any player would struggle to settle.
    "It is difficult [to understand], I was here for five years and it was very enjoyable for me," he said.
    "I don't know why someone would want to leave, I loved to live in London but perhaps he is just not used to it as I so enjoyed it."

Uploads

Steve Bruce: Won't throw in the towel
    BRUCE DETERMINED TO TURN IT AROUND

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has once again insisted he is the right man for the job amid fresh speculation over his future.
    The 50-year-old is currently in Korea as part of a club delegation seeking to promote the Black Cats brand around the world, but that did not prevent the rumour machine going into overdrive once again over the weekend.
    Sources on Wearside were swift to dismiss suggestions that Bruce was under threat amid reports Martin O'Neill was being lined up to replace him at the Stadium of Light.
    However, there is little doubt results need to improve on Wearside if the manager is to retain the support he currently enjoys from owner and new chairman Ellis Short, and that could prove difficult this weekend when Sunderland resume their Barclays Premier League campaign with a trip to Arsenal.
    But Bruce remains confident he will get it right.
    He told the Northern Echo: "I hope that people still have faith in me.
    "I know people will be questioning me, of course they are. But I'm a determined, resilient, horrible so-and-so and I will try my utmost to turn it around.
    "I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I'm not going to put up the white flag now.
    "I knew what it would be like and the challenge is still the same for me - can we get a team together that mount a sustained challenge in the top 10?"
    The Black Cats headed into the break for international matches sitting in 16th place in the table after a run of seven league games which has brought just one victory.

Uploads

Nigel Worthington: Stepping down
    NIGEL WORTHINGTON STEPPING DOWN

Nigel Worthington will step down as Northern Ireland manager after Tuesday's match against Italy after admitting recent results had left him no option.
    Worthington, who has been in charge since Lawrie Sanchez walked away in 2007 to take over Fulham, has been under increasing pressure in recent weeks after a home defeat to Serbia was followed by back-to-back losses against Estonia.
    That wrecked any chance the side had of securing a Euro 2012 play-off and they face the Azzurri lying fifth in Group C, ahead of only the Faroe Islands.
    Some supporters produced banners and called for Worthington's head after Friday's 2-1 defeat to the Estonians, while Sanchez made some scathing remarks about his successor in a recent radio interview.
    A handful of senior players, including Chris Baird, Chris Brunt, Maik Taylor and David Healy, rallied around the boss, insisting he should be retained by the Irish Football Association when his existing deal expired on December 31, but Worthington conceded his time had come.
    Addressing a press conference only minutes after informing the squad of his decision, Worthington said on Monday: "The situation is that as from tomorrow night I will step down as manager of the national team.
    "Up until three games to go we were in a very good position but, through no one's fault, sometimes the game of football throws you a raw hand.
    "I feel the time has come after four and a half years, which have been fantastic for me as an individual.
    "Sometimes when you try to get blood out of a stone there's only so much you can get. I think I've gone as far as I can with the group we've got.
    "There were genuine mistakes in the last three games, something that was not there in the previous matches.
    "I probably half-thought about (stepping down) after Estonia away, but that wasn't something I would show to the press because I wanted to fulfil my promise to the players, to the board and to the supporters."
    Worthington refused to criticise the fans for their recent barracking of him, but called on them to put on a united front whenever a new man is appointed.
    "The decision was not through supporter pressure because I can deal with that. It's a football decision that I think is right," he said.
    "The question was asked of me at the outset 'would I turn my back on my country?'. I said no then and I was determined to see it through and that is what I've done.
    "All I would say to the fans is to be behind the team.
    "They are phenomenal supporters and the way they travel around Europe in huge numbers is second to none. From a players' point of view and from the manager's point of view that is much valued.
    "Of course frustration and disappointment creeps into the game, I fully understand that. But the fans have been wonderful with me for many years as a player and up until recent they have been wonderful again as manager."
    Despite those words, Worthington sounded one worrying note of caution for the future.
    He suggested that recent mood surrounding the side - from the stands and from the local media - could end up driving away important players.
    "The one thing I think supporters have to be careful of is that negativity around the football, and from some of the press," he said.
    "If they're not careful they will switch some of our players off and they will pack it in.
    "Representing your country is a fantastic honour but some people deal with situations better than others. Some might think 'I don't want to be around this mood, this feeling'.
    "It's something that has been murmured and you wouldn't want to see players stepping away from honouring their country through those circumstances.
    "When Windsor Park is bouncing it's a fantastic place to be but please remember, as the song goes, we're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland. Sometimes that can be easily lost."
    Assistant manager Glynn Snodin and goalkeeping coach Fred Barber will also finish after Tuesday's match, while under-21 boss Steve Beaglehole's position will be reviewed at the end of the year.

Uploads

Tom Cleverley signs his new contract
    TOM CLEVERLEY SIGNS NEW MAN UTD DEAL

Tom Cleverley has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester United.
    The deal will keep the midfielder at Old Trafford until 2015 and is a reward for an outstanding start to the season which would almost certainly have seen him win his first England cap against Holland had the game not been called off.
    One of the substitutes who transformed the Community Shield clash with Manchester City, Cleverley then started four successive Premier League games, including the impressive home victories over Tottenham and Arsenal, before suffering ligament damage to his foot at Bolton last month.
    Since then, the 22-year-old has been sidelined, although manager Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping to have the Basingstoke-born player back for Saturday's trip to Liverpool.
    "Tom is one of the brightest prospects in the English game," said Ferguson.
    "For a young boy, he has a good footballing brain which, when coupled with his energy and ability, makes for a player with a fine future ahead of him.
    "It's the United way to encourage our young players to make their mark in the first team and Tom has grabbed that chance with both hands."
    Like so many promising English youngsters, Cleverley has benefited enormously from the time he spent on loan.
    In his case it was an integral role in Wigan's successful fight against relegation last season that toughened him up.
    Even so, he was not expected to make such rapid strides, and fitness permitting he can expect to be given a chance to prove his senior international credentials during the build-up to Euro 2012.
    "It's been a fantastic start to the season for me, breaking into the first team and getting an England call-up," he said.
    "Having grown up at the club, I'd love to be able to make a contribution to United winning more trophies.
    "We have a squad with great ability and I can't wait to get started again."

Uploads

Paul Ince: Interested
    FOREST POST INTERESTS INCE

Former England midfielder Paul Ince would be interested in the vacant managerial position at Nottingham Forest.
    The East Midlands club are searching for a new boss after Steve McClaren resigned eight days ago. Ince has been out of work since leaving city rivals Notts County in April but insists he would only return to management at the right club.
    "I don't want to keep fire-fighting. It's got to be a club where I can buy a few players and build a team like I did at MK Dons - and that takes time," Ince told skysports.com.
    "They (Forest) are a fantastic club, with a fantastic stadium and fantastic fanbase and they've got young players who need to be given a bit of motivation and a bit of passion and, you know, that's part of my game."
    Asked if Forest would be a possibility, Ince replied: "Listen, I'd talk to anybody if they were interested. As I've said, it doesn't have to be Premier League or Championship club. If a club was moving in the right direction, then of course I would.
    "Forest is a fantastic club so I think anyone would be foolish not to talk to them but last time I saw there were about 50,000 applicants! So I'll wait and see what happens."

Uploads

Steve Cotterill: Won't be signing Vega
    PORTSMOUTH PASS ON VEGA

Portsmouth manager Steve Cotterill has passed up the chance to sign Spanish full-back Fernando Vega.
    The 27-year-old, who played 115 times in five years with Real Betis, turned out for Pompey in a friendly against FC Rostov at Fratton Park.
    But Cotterill said: "He just came in for a couple of days' training and we had a look. He got released by Real Betis and it was just a chance for us to have a look at him."

Uploads

Bjorn Helge Riise: Enjoying time at Portsmouth
    RIISE EYEING LONGER STAY

Bjorn Helge Riise would be happy to extend his loan spell at Portsmouth.
    The Fulham midfielder has played two matches for Pompey since he moved to Fratton Park last month on a temporary deal which will expire in early November.
    He told the club's official website: "Hopefully I can play my part while I'm here
    "I want to do as well as possible during my time at Pompey and help the club climb the table.
    "I want to play as many games as I can while I'm here. The only way I'm going to do that is by offering something on the pitch.
    "If I can do that then hopefully I can stay at Pompey for longer, because I'm enjoying my time here."

Uploads

David Ball: Returns to Peterborough
    DAVID BALL BACK AT POSH

Peterborough have recalled striker David Ball from his loan at Rochdale.
    Ball joined the npower League One club at the end of August and scored four goals in eight appearances for Steve Eyre's side.
    The 21-year-old, who scored three times in Peterborough's opening two matches of the season before departing for Spotland, is likely to be in the Posh squad when they resume Championship action at bottom-of-the-table Bristol City on Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast