Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 12-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 12-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 12-10-11

Ayre: Why should we share our media value potential?
    REDS SEEKING TV RIGHTS OVERHAUL

Liverpool are prepared to lead a challenge for Barclays Premier League clubs to sell overseas television rights individually, according to managing director Ian Ayre.
    The league's broadcast rights outside of the United Kingdom are presently sold in a joint package, which is worth 3.2billion for 2010-13 to be shared equally among the 20 clubs.
    But Ayre claims the system is unfair on the higher-profile clubs, arguing they attract more viewers and more subscriptions, and advocated the adoption of the Spanish model.
    There, individual clubs have the freedom to negotiate their own packages, meaning Real Madrid and Barcelona's earnings will dwarf those of the lesser Primera Division teams - and those of the top English sides, who are restricted to their share of the league's earnings.
    Ayre told the Guardian: "Personally I think the game-changer is going out and recognising our brand globally. Maybe the path will be individual TV rights like they do in Spain.
    "If you're a Bolton fan in Bolton, then you subscribe to Sky because you want to watch Bolton. But if you're in Kuala Lumpur there isn't anyone subscribing to Astro or ESPN to watch Bolton, or if they are it's a very small number. The large majority are subscribing to watch Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal.
    "What we are actually doing is disadvantaging ourselves against other big European clubs. If Real Madrid or Barcelona or other big European clubs have the opportunity to realise their international media value potential, where does that leave Liverpool and Manchester United? We'll just share ours because we'll all be nice to each other? The whole phenomenon of the Premier League could be threatened.
    "If they just get bigger and bigger and they generate more and more, then all the players will start drifting that way and will the Premier League bubble burst because we are sticking to this equal-sharing model? It's a real debate that has to happen."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 12-10-11

Marek Hamsik: Long-term transfer target for Man City
    MAN CITY CHASING NAPOLI DUO

Manchester City first-team coach Fausto Salsano has revealed that the club are tracking Napoli duo Marek Hamsik and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
    Hamsik and Lavezzi are thought to be on City's wanted list as possible replacements for the unsettled Carlos Tevez.
    City boss Roberto Mancini has previously admitted he was keen on signing Hamsik while in charge of Inter Milan, while Lavezzi has caught the eye of several clubs after impressing for Napoli over the last few seasons.
    The duo impressed during Napoli's recent 1-1 draw with City in the Champions League and Mancini's right-hand man Salsano admits both players are on City's radar.
    "They are two players who we like because our objective at City is to do great things and win," Salsano told Radio Crc
    "Hamsik has become an important player with the right experience, while Lavezzi is devastating and can hurt people in one on one situations."

Uploads

Tevez: Mancini said the striker was 'finished' at the club
    TEVEZ URGED TO SORT MAN CITY ISSUE

Pablo Zabaleta believes there is widespread anxiety about the future of Carlos Tevez as the Manchester City striker waits to discover if he will face any further punishment for his alleged Munich mutiny.
    Tevez, who has twice requested a transfer away from City, is due to fly back to Manchester on Wednesday and the 27-year-old could be back in training on Thursday after returning to Argentina during his two-week club suspension.
    The former West Ham and Manchester United forward was banned by City and an internal investigation was launched after he apparently refused to play as a substitute against Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League in September.
    Furious City boss Roberto Mancini declared Tevez was 'finished' at the club immediately after the defeat to Bayern and it has been speculated whether the wealthy Premier League outfit could be prepared to sack the forward.
    But City have yet to make a statement on their investigation, with players reportedly unwilling to go on the record regarding the events in Munich, and it remains an anxious wait for all concerned.
    "Everybody wants to know and everybody is worried about the situation because, as Argentinians, we care about Carlos," Zabaleta, who was sat next to his compatriot in the dugout against Bayern, was quoted as saying via a translator on Sky Sports News after his country's shock defeat to Venezuela.
    "It hurts us that he is going through such a rough period. He always tries to be careful and respect everybody who is involved in the situation and the club as well.
    "At the end, he is the one who is going to solve this problem.
    "Carlos is a player who enjoys being desired. He is much respected in the Premier League. He has been living there for many years.
    "But he will have to deal with the club and the club itself will have to take a decision."

Uploads

Kurz: Maintains the faith of chairman Kuntz
    KURZ BACKED DESPITE SLOW START

Kaiserslautern have handed coach Marco Kurz a 12-month contract extension despite making a woeful start to the season.
    The Red Devils lie 16th in the Bundesliga with five points from eight games, but the board have decided to back rather than sack Kurz and extended his contract to the summer of 2013.
    "We have one of the best coaches in the league and we want to work with some continuity in this position," chairman Stefan Kuntz told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday.
    "Marco Kurz brought this club back into the Bundesliga after four years and he led us to a sensational seventh place in our first year back. With him, we will also avoid relegation this year and set new goals for the future."
    Kurz said: "Work here at Kaiserslautern is characterised by honesty and trust and I am delighted to be able to continue with this club.
    "We are certainly not at the end of our path and our aim is to establish ourselves in the Bundesliga with hard work and concentration."
    Kurz took over as coach of Kaiserslautern in 2009 after working with 1860 Munich for three years at the end of his playing career.
    He led the club to promotion in his first year in charge while the fact they spent the whole of last season without any relegation fears was seen as a major achievement.

Uploads

Marko Marin: Has been a big hit at Werder Bremen
    MARIN HAPPY AT BREMEN FOR NOW

Marko Marin insists he is happy to stay at Werder Bremen but has suggested he may consider a move abroad should the right offer come in.
    The 22-year-old was linked with a move away from the Weserstadion over the summer, with Premier League duo Tottenham and Liverpool as well as Serie A giants Inter Milan named as possible destinations.
    No move materialised but that has not stopped rumours resurfacing over a possible transfer in January.
    The Yugoslavia-born midfielder admits he is reluctant to leave Die Werderaner as he feels it represents his best chance of earning a place in Joachim Low's Germany squad for next summer's European Championship.
    However, he did hint that he may consider a move should an offer from a 'top' club outside Germany come in for him.
    "I have better a chance of making the Euro squad for Germany due to the good start to the campaign with Werder Bremen in Bundesliga," said Marin, who has 16 caps for Germany.
    "It is a fact Joachim Low is actually handing match action to those players that have had a very good season lately. He cannot drop them quickly. I am working on getting back into the squad ahead of Euro 2012.
    "Werder Bremen is a top club in Germany and I am under contract with Werder Bremen. Therefore I would just consider top clubs from outside Germany.
    "But I am actually focussed on Werder Bremen and I do not plan to move on. We want to get back to Europe this season via success in the Bundesliga. This is of utmost importance for me."

Uploads

Daniele De Rossi: Looking to help Roma
    DE ROSSI KEEPS FOCUS ON ROMA

Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi has insisted the future of the club is more important than his contract.
    De Rossi has spent his whole career with the Serie A outfit but is in the final year of his current deal and talks over an extension have not run smoothly.
    If an agreement cannot be reached quickly then Roma risk losing him for nothing next summer, with Manchester City among those believed to be monitoring the situation.
    De Rossi admits it may be better for Roma to let him leave and strengthen the squad, but he has no worries about the club going forward.
    "Regardless of what happens with my contract and my future, the most important thing is the future of Roma," he told Rai sport after Italy's 3-0 victory over Northern Ireland on Tuesday.
    "Who knows, they might save the money from my contract and spend it on improving the squad. I see good things moving in the club and that bodes well for the future of the Giallorossi."
    Roma face city rivals Lazio on Sunday and De Rossi admits that he still gets nervous about the derby, although he has learnt how to bring it under control.
    He said: "I do feel the derby very strongly. It's true that in the past, when I was young, I didn't sleep the night before and as a result never had a good performance. I am calmer now."

Uploads

Neil Warnock: Hoping to boost QPR's squad
    QPR CONSIDER TRANSFER TARGETS

QPR manager Neil Warnock will meet with chairman Tony Fernandes on Thursday to discuss targets for the January transfer window.
    The Malaysian business tycoon's takeover of the club in late August provided the financial clout for Warnock to sign six new players in the last week of trading.
    The likes of Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Anton Ferdinand were among those to arrive at Loftus Road and talks will begin tomorrow about the next batch of potential signings.
    "Tony has given me great support and I couldn't wish for more backing from him since he arrived," Warnock told the London Evening Standard.
    "We have already begun talking about what we are going to do in January and have a number of ideas. He is coming to see me to talk about them on Thursday.
    "There are so many things that are possibilities and if I ask for a certain player, the board will support me. At the moment a striker and defender are my two priorities.
    "We are looking abroad as well as in this country. We would be silly not to because Tony has all these contacts.
    "We haven't got a big enough squad, but we just have to keep going now until January and look to improve again.
    "People should know that we are still in the infancy of what we are trying to do."
    QPR have impressed since Fernandes completed his takeover, notably winning 3-0 victory at Wolves and securing home draws with Newcastle and Aston Villa.
    However, the west Londoners return from the two-week international break on the back of a resounding 6-0 defeat at neighbours Fulham.
    Warnock admitted the result was a "wake-up call" and, while claiming unfortunate circumstances had an impact at Craven Cottage, pledged to respond against Blackburn on Saturday.
    "We are going to get a few drubbings this season, but we need the back four to be injury-free," he said.
    "We have done well when we have had a steady back four, but it was decimated against Fulham.
    "[Armand] Traore was suspended so Luke Young had to go left-back. Fitz Hall has been playing with a hamstring injury. Everything went wrong.
    "It was like we were blase because we had done so well in the previous matches.
    "We just thought it was going to be straightforward.
    "It was bad enough to lose a goal after a few seconds, but we lost our discipline then. It was a good lesson.
    "I have been able to work with all the players apart from Traore and [Adel] Taarabt during the international break.
    "They were just disappointed with what happened but have stepped up training and want to make it up to the fans."
    Warnock particularly wants the players to make amends this weekend to repay the loyalty shown by Rangers fans at Fulham.
    "I will never forget how they supported us at Craven Cottage," he added. "We were 6-0 down and they were chanting my name - that never happens.
    "They must realise how much a boost it gave me and the players.
    "It is standard practice when things go wrong you have a go at players and a manager, but they still got behind us.
    "We haven't won at home and we have to go all out to beat Blackburn. After this match we play Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City.
    "I am looking forward to those games but it would be perfect to go into that tough schedule with a victory."

Uploads

Derek McInnes: Linked with Bristol City
    SAINTS: NO APPROACH FOR McINNES

Chairman Geoff Brown insists St Johnstone have yet to receive an approach from Bristol City for manager Derek McInnes.
    McInnes has been strongly linked with the vacant managerial position at Ashton Gate, following the dismissal of former boss Keith Millen on October 3, and has been reported as being one of five candidates interviewed by City chairman Colin Sexstone.
    But Brown has revealed the Scottish club have not had any contact with the Robins regarding a potential compensation package.
    "Nobody has been in touch with me," he told the Dundee Courier. "They would know that to officially interview Derek compensation would have to be agreed.
    "Everyone has their own ideas but I would have thought that if you were in Bristol's position you would want someone who knows their division and knows the players available."

Uploads

Lee Cook: Still wants loan switch
    COOK STILL WANTS FOREST SWITCH

QPR winger Lee Cook hopes his loan switch to Championship strugglers Nottingham Forest will still happen, despite the departure of manager Steve McClaren.
    The 29-year-old spent a week on trial at the City Ground, with a view to completing a loan switch, but the move was halted after the former England coach's resignation.
    However, with the club still searching for a replacement, Cook remains keen to join Forest when they have a new man installed at the helm.
    "I went up there for a week's training with a view to a loan deal at the end of it and I had a really good week there with a full 90 minutes under my belt against Stoke's reserves," Cook told skysports.com.
    "I did reasonably well up there and was going back up on the Sunday night to be ready for training on Monday morning when I heard the news that he had left, so that kind of killed it for me.
    "They told me that they weren't going to sign anyone until a new manager was appointed and then I could go back up for another week.
    "It is just a case of waiting to see who is appointed and then hopefully get something done shortly after.
    "It is a great club and, although I was only up there for a week, it ticks all the boxes, with a beautiful training ground and a big club with bold ambitions.
    "It would be an ideal loan deal for me so that I can go up there and show them what I can do and then see what happens after that.
    "I am eager to go out and play some games and I am confident that I can still play in the Championship at least, so I'm just waiting for the right move to come along and Nottingham Forest is definitely one that I'm interested in."
    Forest had hoped to have McClaren's successor in charge before Saturday's trip to Coventry, but that looks highly unlikely and Cook insists he is willing to be patient in order to make the loan switch happen.
    He added: "Well, due to the international break a lot of clubs have had a few days off and gone away on holiday, so it has slowed things down at Forest.
    "They ideally wanted to get someone in before the next game, but they've had a large number of applicants, so it is one of those where I'll have to be patient for a few weeks.
    "I know that the loan window is going to close in the first week of November or something close to then, so if anything crops up that interests me before then I'll have to look at that, but I'm just training hard at QPR and hoping something will happen soon at Forest."

Uploads

Craig Levein: Will continue as Scotland boss
    LEVEIN BACKED BY REGAN

Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan has backed manager Craig Levein to lead Scotland into their 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign despite the team's failure to reach Euro 2012.
    Levein's side headed into Wednesday night's final round of matches needing to beat Spain to ensure a play-off berth, although matching Czech Republic's result in Lithuania would have been enough.
    The Scots were beaten 3-1 in Alicante, though, and the Czechs cruised to a 4-1 win in Kaunas, leaving the Scots to reflect on what might have been.
    However, Regan is convinced Levein remains the right man to take Scotland forward.
    He told scottishfa.co.uk: "I always make a point of wishing the manager the best of luck before a game and speaking to him afterwards.
    "It is important that he knows he has the full support of myself and everyone at the Scottish FA.
    "Both myself, [SFA vice-president] Campbell Ogilvie and [performance director] Mark Wotte agreed that we lost to a formidable and near-invincible Spanish team. What was encouraging was seeing David Goodwillie score his first goal, and Scotland creating several chances against the world champions."
    As for what happens next, Regan said: "It is simple. We reflect on the campaign as a whole and prepare for the FIFA World Cup 2014 qualifying campaign.
    "On a personal level, I am hugely impressed by the work being carried out by Craig and anyone who speaks to the players in the squad will realise just how big an impact he has made on a team that, frankly, was in disarray before he took over.
    "The players believe in what he wants to achieve and the performances and results are continuing to improve.
    "I've mentioned Goodwillie but you can also look at the impact Barry Bannan, Charlie Adam, Phil Bardsley and now Craig Mackail-Smith are making: these players have all come to prominence under Craig Levein. He is dedicated to taking this team forward and qualifying for the World Cup in Brazil in 2014."
    Scotland have not qualified for the finals of a major tournament since the 1998 World Cup in France, but Regan is confident steps are being made in the right direction.
    "I share Craig's disappointment at not reaching the play-offs but I defy anyone to look at the squad we have now, compare it to the early period of Craig's tenure, and say we have not made considerable progress," he said.
    "Throughout the campaign, we have developed not just in terms of personnel but in identifying a style of play that works."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast