Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 15-10-11

Derek McInnes: Allowed to talk to Bristol City
    DEREK McINNES SET FOR ROBINS TALKS

St Johnstone have granted permission to Bristol City to interview their manager Derek McInnes.
    McInnes was linked with the vacancy at the npower Championship club following the departure of Keith Millen at the start of the month.
    A statement on Saints' official website confirmed: "Following negotiations, the club have agreed to Bristol City's request to interview manager Derek McInnes."
    City chairman Colin Sexstone told his club's official website: "Derek is one of the people we would like to speak with about the job.
    "He is a strong contender, we've heard good things about him and hence the reason we have requested permission from St Johnstone to interview him about the role.''
    City plan to hold interviews at the start of next week, with a view to making an appointment ahead of next Sunday's home game against Birmingham.
    City chairman Colin Sexstone told www.bcfc.co.uk: "Derek is one of the people we would like to speak with about the job.
    "He is a strong contender, we've heard good things about him and hence the reason we have requested permission from St Johnstone to interview him about the role."
    According to their official website, City plan to hold interviews at the start of next week, with a view to making an appointment ahead of next Sunday's home game against Birmingham.
    Meanwhile, McInnes is boosted by the return of two key players for tomorrow's Clydesdale Bank Premier League game against Inverness after Murray Davidson and Frazer Wright recovered from knee and calf injuries respectively.
    The Saints boss said: "It's good to have them back available, they are important players for us.
    "Murray has worked extremely hard to get back and he's back bang on schedule. He's a different type of midfielder to what we've got and it's great to have him back.
    "We worked hard to bring Frazer to the club, he's got a big presence and experience, and it's good to have him back too."
    McInnes says his players are keen to pick up where they left off before the international break.
    He added: "I've got a feeling the boys are itching to go and to continue the early good work that we've had.
    "We've got to recognise that the good results we've had have been down to a lot of hard work and determination and we need to make sure we have that again.
    "Hopefully they will be hungry to keep on picking up points."
    McInnes, speaking before the Perth club confirmed the talks with Bristol City, insists Saints will take nothing for granted despite Inverness' position at the bottom of the SPL.
    He said: "Terry [Butcher] is a bit like ourselves in that he has had a big turnover of players.
    "He brought a few players in and sometimes it takes time to settle. They have also had a lot of injury problems themselves.
    "We've had nothing but difficult games against Inverness in the past and we expect nothing different this time.
    "They are well-organised and well-motivated and I think they will be buoyed by the fact that they beat St Mirren the last time.
    "I fully expect a tough match. I think Terry will have his team believing they can come to our place and win the game but we've got to make sure that we're ready to put in a performance and play at the level we're capable of.
    "If we do that, it will also be a tough game for Inverness."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-10-11

Mario Balotelli: Good start to season for Man City
    AGENT CLARIFIES BALOTELLI COMMENTS

Mario Balotelli's agent has moved to clarify talk of the Manchester City striker joining Napoli in a swap deal involving Ezequiel Lavezzi.
    Balotelli has been regularly linked with a return to Italy since joining City in 2010.
    But the 21-year-old has impressed in recent months as he looks to have matured and settled into life in England.
    Raiola himself sparked renewed speculation about his client's future by saying Napoli should exchange Lavezzi for Balotelli.
    Yet the agent has now tried to play down the suggestion that any such deal is in the offing.
    "It was just a comment in response to a question," Raiola told Radio Radio.
    "I talked about putting myself in Napoli's shoes, and for them it would be a bargain.
    "We have not received any proposal for Mario. I always said that Balotelli needed time and the last three or four months are showing that.
    "Settling into English football has been difficult, but now Mario understands certain mechanisms.
    "He chose Manchester City and has never said he will leave."

Uploads

James McFadden: Will get Celtic chance
    LENNON CONFIRMS McFADDEN INTEREST

Neil Lennon has confirmed he aims to have a look at James McFadden in training with a view to signing him for Celtic.
    The Scotland international, 28, is a free agent and recently spent two weeks training at Wolves, where he received a contract offer.
    The forward, who has also been linked with a return to Everton, has not played since September 2010 when he picked up a knee injury playing for former club Birmingham.
    McFadden's representatives have held talks with Celtic and the player has been invited to spend some time at their Lennoxtown training complex.
    Speaking after Celtic's AGM, Hoops boss Lennon said: "We are hoping he is going to come up and train for a few days.
    "He's a player that I've liked for quite a while, he is a very creative player and has good qualities and he is available.
    "He's got goals and is a good character.
    "So we are hoping that we can get something sorted out in the next few days.
    "He's been out for a while but I know he has done some rigorous tests down south and passed them all.
    "It would be remiss to sign him on the back of that so we will have a look at him first."
    Meanwhile, Lennon's fellow Old Firm manager, Rangers' Ally McCoist, said he was not interested in signing McFadden.
    "I'm quite happy with the squad at the moment. We are not too bad in the wider areas," he said.
    However, McCoist believes the former Motherwell player will be a welcome addition to the SPL if he returns to the Scottish top flight.
    "Faddy is a very talented player, there is no doubt about that. He is a smashing lad," he added.
    "He is a winger who will take people on and he can score goals as well. As we all know, he has scored some fantastic goals. I think he will be a great acquisition to the league."

Uploads

Cahill (l) and Ferdinand: Not wanted by Redknapp
    REDKNAPP DENIES FRESH DEFENDER BIDS

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has denied claims that he is ready to launch fresh bids to sign Rio Ferdinand and Gary Cahill, insisting that he is totally satisfied with his current defence.
    Bolton's Cahill was one the most sought after players this summer, with Arsenal and Spurs just two of several clubs thought to have registered an interest in signing the player.
    The England centre-half remained at the Reebok Stadium, however, with neither of the two London clubs willing to match the Trotters' reported 20million price tag.
    Redknapp tried to sign Ferdinand two years ago but failed when the former England captain was a regular fixture in the United defence.
    Ferdinand's injury problems mean he has played a limited part in the champions' season so far, and his contract is due to expire this summer, but Redknapp has played down suggestions he will bid for either of the duo when the transfer window opens.
    "I haven't even thought about Rio to be honest," Redknapp said.
    "I signed him as a kid. I love Rio as a boy and a player, but it's not something we have ever enquired about.
    "It's going to be difficult for him to leave Man United isn't it?"
    The signing of Cahill would have been a big coup for Spurs, especially given that Arsenal were interested in the player, but Redknapp's defence has performed well without him.
    Even long-term injuries to William Gallas and Michael Dawson have not been felt by the squad thanks to the strong performances of Younes Kaboul and fit-again captain Ledley King.
    That has left Redknapp feeling he does not need to add to his defence in January, even if Cahill becomes available again.
    "I'm not looking to strengthen in defence, really. We are strong in defence. We have Dawson, King, Gallas, Kaboul and (Sebastien) Bassong," said Redknapp, who takes his team to face Newcastle at St James' Park on Sunday.
    "I went for Cahill because at the time I couldn't see Ledley being fit and because William Gallas had a calf strain."

Uploads

Drogba: Has been offered a new deal
    CHELSEA RISK LOSING TRIO FOR NOTHING

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas is ready to risk writing off tens of millions of pounds in transfer fees by not selling Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou before their contracts expire next summer.
    This season looks certain to be Anelka's last at Stamford Bridge, while there is increasing uncertainty over the future of Drogba, who has yet to agree a new deal.
    Villas-Boas revealed this week that Kalou had also been offered a contract extension, but time is running out for Chelsea to secure these assets, each of whom will be able to negotiate a free transfer at the turn of the year.
    But despite the club reporting losses of 70.9million in their last annual accounts amid the new era of Financial Fair Play, Villas-Boas insists they would not need to sell.
    "I don't think so, it happens all the time," said the Blues boss, pointing out he encountered a similar scenario at Porto last season.
    "The most important thing is for the club to try to defend its interests. We know these players are of higher importance.
    "That's why the offers are on the table, apart from with Anelka, end of story.
    "We will try to get them to reach an agreement."
    Should all three move on, Chelsea would go from having an embarrassment of riches up front to arguably lacking numbers.
    "That's why the talks are ongoing," Villas-Boas added. "We still have plenty of time."
    Indeed, two and a half months must seem like an age to Villas-Boas celebrated his second anniversary as a manager on Friday.
    The Portuguese, who also turns 34 on Monday, has packed a remarkable amount into his short career, transforming the fortunes of Academica before leading Porto to an incredible quadruple.
    And he has revealed he might even have taken a different path had he accepted an offer to join Sporting Lisbon shortly after becoming a manager.
    "I was two weeks into a job and I was being offered a job at Sporting Lisbon," he said before explaining why he stayed put.
    "First, there wasn't an agreement for compensation for Academica. Eventually, the decision came to me and I didn't want to go. I felt well where I was."