Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 17-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 17-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 17-10-11

Van Persie: No plans to leave Arsenal.
    VAN PERSIE COMMITS TO GUNNERS

Arsenal captain Robin van Persie has laughed off claims he wants to leave the Gunners.
    Arsenal have endured a woeful start to the season, losing four of their opening seven league games, one of which came at Old Trafford where they were humiliated 8-2 by Manchester United.
    The poor start to the campaign has come off the back of a tumultuous summer off the pitch that has seen the club lose former captain Cesc Fabregas and star midfielder Samir Nasri.
    Van Persie raised fears that he would be the next big star out of the door at the Emirates Stadium when he said recently that he was in no rush to extend his contract, which expires in 2013, but he denies he wants to leave.
    "There have been many stories in the media lately. I am committed to Arsenal. That's how it is," said Van Persie, who has been annoyed at a recent report that claimed he had put his house up for sale to help him secure his exit from Arsenal.
    "I moved house last year. I see stories which make me laugh, but I can see how frustrating it is from the fans' point of view," the Dutchman added in his programme notes ahead of Sunday afternoon's home match against Sunderland.
    "I am committed to Arsenal. I am the captain. Don't believe everything you read.
    "As for that house story, the house has been for sale for a while, but I'm not living on the streets or anything.
    "I have found a really nice house, and yes, it's in London. So I want to put that straight. I am committed and I will show that on the pitch."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 17-10-11

Nigel Clough: New Derby deal signed
    NIGEL CLOUGH PENS DERBY DEAL

Nigel Clough has signed a new contract to remain as Derby manager until the summer of 2015.
    Clough was joined by his backroom staff of Gary Crosby, Johnny Metgod, Martin Taylor and Andy Garner, in signing new deals with the npower Championship club.
    The Rams are off to a strong start this season, sitting fourth in the Championship after 11 matches.
    "We are all delighted that our futures have been sorted out and that we have the opportunity to continue the work of the last two-and-a-half years of trying to improve this club," Clough told the club's website.
    "From day one we knew this was going to be a long-term project and it is still very much a work in progress.
    "This new deal is not about any individual, it is about a collective effort from a group of people who have worked extremely hard to change the culture and mentality of the football side from top to bottom.
    "We have shared values throughout the organisation of working hard every day and making sure everyone gives their best, which is exactly what the fans deserve and demand from anyone lucky enough to represent Derby County.
    "We are seeing signs of improvement all the time now, at every level of the club, and we believe there are some good times ahead of us."
    Clough took over at Pride Park in January 2009, joining from Burton Albion, but struggled to bring success in the early days, and only managed a 19th-placed finish last season.
    There had been speculation in recent weeks that Clough would be moving on, but he insisted that was never a consideration.
    "Our commitment to Derby County has never been in question," he added.
    "We all love working here and care passionately about bringing success to supporters who have remained so loyal during some difficult times.
    "There is nowhere else we would want to be."

Uploads

Victor Moses: Talking over a new contract
    VICTOR MOSES IN CONTRACT TALKS

Wigan forward Victor Moses has opened talks over a new contract, his agent has confirmed to skysports.com.
    The 20-year-old moved to the DW Stadium in January 2010, and he is now considered one of Roberto Martinez's key performers.
    Moses has started every game for the Latics this season, and the club are looking to reward his progress with a new deal.
    The Nigerian-born forward has just over 18 months left on his current deal and is now in talks to extend his stay.
    "We had the first round of talks last week," his agent Tony Finnigan told skysports.com.
    "We met with the club, and talks are are ongoing.
    "Victor is enjoying playing at the moment and that is the main thing."

Uploads

Junior Hoilett: Talks continue over new deal
    HOILETT DEAL EDGING CLOSER

Blackburn boss Steve Kean has reiterated his belief that star forward Junior Hoilett will pen a new contract at the club.
    The 21-year-old Canadian-born striker is out of contract in the summer, but Kean remains hopeful he will agree new terms.
    A number of Premier League clubs are understood to be keeping tabs on his situation, as talks over a new deal have now been ongoing since the start of the year.
    Kean, though, remains confident that Hoilett will commit his future to the club, saying: "I believe that we are even closer again. I know Junior wants to sign and I think everything is almost in place for him to put pen to paper on a very long contract.
    "That will be massive for us and to ensure that the young players we are developing we can keep at the club. There will always be interest when you get people of that ability.
    "The percentage of improvement has been quite dramatic and we are desperate to keep him.
    "The initial delay was length of contract, which has been sorted. Then it was package, which has been taken care of, and then a few minor things.
    "But it seems to have been dragging on. It doesn't help when his family are over in Canada but I believe they will be over.
    "I don't want to put a date on it though because I thought it would be done weeks and weeks ago."

Uploads

Matthew Upson: Happy at Stoke
    UPSON LOVING STOKE LIFE

Matthew Upson admits he is loving life at Stoke following his summer move from West Ham.
    The England international moved to the Britannia Stadium on a free transfer but is yet to establish himself at the heart of Tony Pulis' defence.
    Indeed Upson started only his second league game for the Potters on Saturday, but he helped them to a 2-0 win over Fulham.
    And he insists he is delighted with how things are going for him in the Potteries.
    "I am enjoying every minute here and the event in the week was typical of the way all the lads join in with whatever the club is doing," said Upson.
    "The ethic of the club suits me down to the ground. In many ways it's just so simple.
    "Everybody knows what they are doing, everybody knows what they are supposed to be doing, everybody does what they are supposed to do.
    "A lot of that is down to the manager because he seems to know how to get the best from everybody.
    "It is a combination of his personality, attitude, disciplined approach and the ability to recruit the right kind of characters."
    The 32-year-old admitted his late arrival in the summer meant he was a bit behind the rest of the squad in terms of fitness.
    "I was playing catch-up with my fitness when I arrived, so I knew it would be a bit of a battle - you have to be at the peak of your game to get into this team because the competition is terrific," he said.
    "But while I've only played a couple of Premier League games, with Europe and the Carling Cup I've actually played seven games in as many weeks, so like everybody in the squad I can't complain about the way the manager is rotating players.
    "We all know the weight of fixtures we have got to play and it's just enjoyable because whatever game it is, the players on the pitch put everything into it.
    "People might know how we play, but they all find out that knowing what Stoke do and dealing with it are two different things."

Uploads

Roberto Mancini: Enjoying life at Manchester City
    MANCINI EYES LONG CITY STAY

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini wants to stay at the club for "many years".
    The former Inter Milan boss guided City to their first trophy success in 35 years by landing the FA Cup last season and has further strengthened his position this term.
    City, top of the Barclays Premier League, have made their best start to a league season since 1897 by winning seven and drawing one of their opening eight games.
    The Italian's handling of the ongoing controversy surrounding Carlos Tevez has also earned him plaudits, but he says discussions over a new contract have not begun and are not a priority.
    The 46-year-old, who succeeded Mark Hughes in December 2009, said: "I would like to stay here for many years in the future but it is not important, my contract.
    "After this year I have one more year and I don't have a problem with this. I haven't talked to the club but at the moment it is not important."
    Mancini is well aware, however, of the vulnerable nature of his profession.
    City are playing in the Champions League for the first time this season and face a vital game against Villarreal at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday night.
    City have collected just one point from their opening two games and further disappointment in Europe could cast a different light over the club's campaign.
    Mancini, speaking at his pre-match press conference, added: "My feeling here is good.
    "I would like to stay here but in football every week it can change.
    "If you lose two or three games, that can change all - but we are working well."

Uploads

Callum McManaman: Blackpool loan move
    McMANAMAN LOANED TO TANGERINES

Promising young Wigan striker Callum McManaman has joined npower Championship side Blackpool on loan until January.
    But despite the move, Latics boss Roberto Martinez was keen to stress he sees the 20-year-old's future at the DW Stadium and McManaman will continue to train intermittently with his parent club.
    The Spaniard said: "Callum is a vital player for the future of our football club and now we must fulfil his needs in order for him to reach his outstanding potential by playing Championship football, which will be the perfect challenge to test all the good things that he's been working on over the last few months.
    "We expect Callum to be back with us to help the team with his individual level sharpened up after the loan experience."
    McManaman, an England Under-20 international, has made nine appearances for the Latics, scoring on his first start in the FA Cup victory over Hull last season.

Uploads

Andreu Fontas: New deal at Barcelona
    BARCELONA TIE DOWN FONTAS

Barcelona have ended any speculation about Andreu Fontas by agreeing a contract extension with the defender that will keep him at the Nou Camp until 2015.
    Fulham and Blackburn were among a number of clubs linked with the 21-year-old centre-half in recent weeks, but the Blaugrana have moved swiftly tie him down to a long-term deal.
    The youngster has impressed since breaking into Pep Guardiola's first-team squad on a permanent basis in March and the new agreement sees his buy-out clause rise from 30million euros to 70million
    With injury concerns at the back for the Spanish and European champions, the news will be a boost as Fontas is seen as a future partner for Gerard Pique.
    After joining Barca in 2006, Fontas spent three years in the Blaugrana B side where he impressed Guardiola during the coach's stint in charge of the young team.
    Despite featuring regularly in pre-season during the summer, Fontas has only appeared once this season when he played in a 2-2 draw at Real Sociedad last month.

Uploads

James Perch: Derby target
    DERBY PERCH REQUEST REBUFFED

Newcastle have rejected a loan request from Derby for defender James Perch, according to Rams boss Nigel Clough.
    Having signed a contract extension, Clough is now looking for cover at right-back with John Brayford set to miss the next three weeks with a thigh injury.
    Clough confirmed he had asked about Perch, who started his career at East Midlands rivals Nottingham Forest, but revealed Newcastle were not willing to let the player leave.
    "We are looking at the loan market and we asked about James, but he is providing defensive cover at Newcastle," Clough told the Derby Telegraph.
    "They have got a couple of injuries, so he cannot come out at the moment,"
    "Yes, if we can get a right-back in of a certain quality, we will. But he will have to be better than Russell (Anderson), who battled away against Southampton."
    Clough added: "We miss John Brayford at home, we miss the impetus he gives us going forward.
    "But Russell was steady on Saturday and he might even find it a bit easier away from home."

Uploads

Andy Wilkinson: A decade at Stoke
    WILKINSON KEEN TO STAY AT STOKE

Stoke defender Andy Wilkinson wants to see out his career at the club after a 10-year stay which is still on the up.
    The 27-year-old, born in Stone just 10 miles from the Britannia Stadium, marked a decade since his debut in Saturday's win over Fulham.
    But the full-back is now looking forward to the next 10 years, which he hopes will be at his local club.
    "It's unbelievable to think how far the club has come since I made my debut," said Wilkinson, who made his very first appearance in an LDV Vans Trophy tie at Blackpool.
    "It's a great credit to the manager and the chairman and I for one owe a lot to them.
    "Everyone knows how I feel about Stoke City, I want to be here forever. Hopefully, I have got another 10 years left in front of me."
    The weekend's victory lifted the Potters up to seventh in the Barclays Premier League, and with the club due to play their third Europa League group match at home to Maccabi Tel Aviv on Thursday, Wilkinson is desperate to be part of what he believes will be a bright future.
    "I'm very proud of what has been achieved and want to be a part of what happens next," he told stokecityfc.com
    "We've got so much to look forward to over the coming weeks and the squad is big enough and strong enough to get the results we need to make further progress."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast