Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 18-10-11

Arsene Wenger: 'half the dressing room wanted to leave'
    WENGER REVEALS ARSENAL MUTINY

Arsene Wenger has claimed "half the dressing room wanted to leave" Arsenal this summer and the hangover could be behind their poor start to the season.
    Sunday's 2-1 win over Sunderland lifted Arsenal back into the top half of the table, but the Gunners are 12 points off the pace at the top of the table already and face a fight to reach the top four.
    Their early season struggles were highlighted by the shocking 8-2 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford, coming on the back of a summer that saw key midfielders Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri sold despite Wenger's insistence he wanted them to stay.
    "It was a very difficult summer because half the dressing room wanted to leave," Wenger said in comments made on French radio station RTL and reported by the Guardian.
    "You're preparing for a season where you don't know who's going to come in, the players who are staying are asking themselves what's going on at the club, you've got a pre-season tour of Asia.
    "It was extraordinarily difficult. What saved us is that we're a club that are extremely solid and united. Other clubs would surely have gone to pieces in those circumstances.
    "What people forget is that we lost three key players because we've also lost [Jack] Wilshere. Three who were important in our midfield. Nasri, Fabregas and Wilshere have all been lost and they were the basis of our midfield last season.
    "We've had to reconstruct our midfield entirely because Wilshere won't be back until January. Still, we've disappointed this season so far, given what's expected of us, but I think we're on the up again. The problem is you can only climb the table slowly. We're not too far away in terms of points from fourth place. We're too far away from the top two."
    Wenger admitted that simple economics meant that players wanted to leave Arsenal because there was more money on offer elsewhere.
    "It's not that [players have to leave to win titles]," he said. "The problem isn't that. Frankly, if you compare what Manchester City have won in the past and what Arsenal have won, then you don't go to Manchester City to win titles. Players go to Manchester City because they pay much better than Arsenal.
    "They are a force clearly, because they have exceptional financial clout, so it's not surprising what they've done."
    Now the Frenchman is facing questions over the long-term future of Fabregas' replacement as captain, Robin van Persie, who insists he is committed to the club but is yet to agree a new deal with 18 months left on his existing contract.
    "For me being professional means that right up until the last day you are at a club you give 100 per cent to that club," added Wenger.
    "I'm not asking myself whether Van Persie is going to extend his contract in 18 months' time. For me what is important is that he plays well for us (against Marseille) on Wednesday. After that the next match. That's how I think.
    "He's scored 28 goals in 34 games, so they're exceptional statistics. He's got a contract for another 18 months and he's a man who is attached to our club. I'm not especially thinking about losing him."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-10-11

Ross Barkley: Linked with move
    MOYES: EVERTON CAN KEEP BARKLEY

David Moyes insists that Everton can hang on to midfield starlet Ross Barkley.
    The club are in talks with the 17-year-old over a new long-term deal, amid concerns that he could be lured away with most of the Premier League giants circling.
    Everton lost Wayne Rooney to Manchester United in 2004 when he was just 18, but Moyes insists the same does not need to happen with Barkley.
    "Every club will want Ross as he is going to be an outstanding player," said Moyes.
    "I'm worried it will be a difficulty for us in the future.
    "If someone comes for Ross I've always said it it's expensive to buy off Everton. If you're going to come and try to take our better players we don't sell cheap, that's for sure.
    "I'm sure the bigger clubs will be looking at him, but we've no intention of selling. I think we've got the team to carry Ross. The club is in a much better position (than with Rooney).
    "Can we carry someone like Ross now? Of course we can. Maybe when we had Wayne I didn't think we could hang on to someone of that talent, at that period."

Uploads

Jim Magilton: Linked with Nothern Ireland job
    MAGILTON WANTS NORTHERN IRELAND JOB

Jim Magilton has declared his interest in succeeding Nigel Worthington as Northern Ireland manager.
    Worthington stepped down from the role earlier this month at the end of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign after four-and-a-half years in the job.
    A number of names have been linked with the role, with former Ipswich and Queens Park Rangers boss Magilton the popular choice to replace Worthington.
    Magilton, who made 52 appearances for his country in an 11-year international career, admits he is flattered to be linked with the post and would be happy to speak to the Irish Football Association if they came calling for his services.
    "It is very flattering [to be linked with the job]," Magilton told skysports.com.
    "When you set out in your career as a young lad who left Belfast at 15 and represented Northern Ireland at every level playing-wise, when you go into the managerial game the pinnacle of anyone's career, I would imagine, is to manage at international level so to be linked with the job is very flattering indeed.
    "I think if they [The IFA] made an approach of course we would sit down and have a chat, most certainly, and then we would take it from there and see how we go."
    Magilton, whose last management role was at QPR in 2009, has been working as interim assistant manager at Shamrock Rovers as a favour to former Northern Ireland team-mate Michael O'Neill and he is ready to get back into full-time management.
    "The years out of the game have certainly given more of an insight into what I would do next," added Magilton.
    "I am keen to get back into management in my own right and my time with Shamrock Rovers has whetted the appetite again.
    "I have enjoyed it, enjoyed the success Michael and I have achieved with the players and I would certainly be looking to embrace a return to management more."

Uploads

McInnes: Held talks with Bristol City on Monday
    McINNES FUTURE REMAINS UNCERTAIN

St Johnstone manager Derek McInnes held talks with Bristol City on Monday but his club say a move to Ashton Gate is far from certain.
    McInnes underwent an interview on Monday after Saints agreed a deal with the npower Championship side on Friday to allow their manager to talk to City.
    But former Rotherham and Barnsley manager Mark Robins is also believed to be in the frame for the job.
    A statement on St Johnstone's official website read: "As is widely known, manager Derek McInnes is in Bristol on Monday putting his case forward to be appointed as Bristol City's next manager but things are far from cut and dried."
    City, who play Crystal Palace on Tuesday night, are understood to have approached former Cardiff manager Dave Jones as well as McInnes and Robins following the exit of Keith Millen after a poor start to the campaign.
    With Jones apparently having ruled himself out of contention, reports in Bristol claim the City board are split between appointing McInnes or Robins.
    Meanwhile, Saints striker Cillian Sheridan has been receiving treatment on the hamstring injury which forced him off 20 minutes into the 2-0 Clydesdale Bank Premier League win over Inverness on Saturday.
    However, Saints say it is too early to determine whether the on-loan CSKA striker will be fit for Saturday's SPL clash at Dundee United.

Uploads

Thomas Vermaelen: New Arsenal contract
    VERMAELEN SIGNS NEW ARSENAL DEAL

Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen has signed a new long-term contract with the club, the Gunners have confirmed on their official website.
    The Belgium international, who has endured an injury-ravaged two and a half years with the club since joining from Ajax in the summer of 2009, is understood to have agreed to stay at the Emirates Stadium until 2015.
    The captain of his national side, Vermaelen enjoyed a memorable first season with Arsenal, weighing in with eight goals on his way to earn a place in the Professional Footballers Association Team of the Season.
    However, an Achilles injury suffered while away with Belgium would eventually sideline him for the majority of last season, with futher treatment meaning he has yet to figure during this campaign.
    But, with full fitness now approaching, the 25-year-old is delighted to have secured his future.
    "I am really happy to have signed a new contract with Arsenal. I always had the intention to stay here. I feel there is a big belief in me from the club, from the boss and from the fans and that is one of the reasons why I stayed," he told arsenal.com.
    "Arsenal is a fantastic club. We have great supporters, we're doing well financially and we are playing with some quality young players now and they will develop, which is very good for the future."
    Manager Arsene Wenger was equally thrilled with the news, adding: "We are absolutely delighted that Thomas has signed a new long-term contract.
    "Our plan is always to sign top-quality players and with Thomas extending his contract, we have done just that. Thomas is a special player, who has always made a huge contribution on the pitch and we are looking forward to him being a part of our future at Arsenal Football Club."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Boca Juniors transfer target
    BOCA JOIN CARLOS TEVEZ CHASE

Boca Juniors are planning an ambitious raid to try and take unsettled Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez back to Argentina.
    The forward is facing an uncertain future in England as City continue with their investigations into his alleged refusal to step off the bench during a Champions League tie with Bayern Munich.
    Tevez has served an initial two-week suspension imposed by the club, but the Blues are yet to make a definitive decision regarding any further action.
    Roberto Mancini has previously claimed that he considers the South American to be 'finished' at City and it is expected that he will be moved on.
    Boca are keen to return the 27-year-old to his roots and bring him back to the club where it all began.
    The Argentine outfit are seeking permission to bring in a new striker on an emergency loan after losing Lucas Viatri to injury for six months.
    They are keen to have someone in by next week and president Jose Beraldi has confirmed that they are planning to hold talks with City regarding Tevez.
    "We will make an attempt for Carlos Tevez, who is not playing at Manchester City," he said.
    "We know it will be difficult but we will try."
    It remains to be seen whether Boca could finance a deal, but Beraldi revealed last week that the club will do all they can to bring Tevez home.
    He said: "The doors are always open to Carlitos. He's a Boca idol and a key piece in many of our achievements.
    "This is his home. He grew up at the club."

Uploads

David Beckham: Could be on the move
    DAVID BECKHAM 'AMAZED' BY OFFERS

David Beckham has revealed that he is "amazed" at the amount of offers he has received.
    Beckham's contract with Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy expires next month, and he will be free to join any club from January.
    The Galaxy have made a concerted move to try and convince the 36-year-old to stay in California, but he also has offers to return to Europe.
    In England the likes of Tottenham, QPR and Leicester are all keen - but big spending Paris St Germain have emerged as favourites for his signature.
    Beckham admits he is now considering his options, refusing to rule anything out, or anything in.
    "I have had a lot of offers and I must say that I'm amazed that, at my age, I have had so many. Its been a bit of a surprise," he told the Daily Telegraph.
    "I have to see how my body feels once the play-offs are over, but I love it here and there is a real chance I will stay, especially if my family are happy."
    But Beckham did admit there was interest from PSG and that playing in next summer's Olympics was still top of his list of priorities.
    "What will actually happen next I still can't say, but what is very important in the decision in terms of what I do, be it staying here, or going to PSG or wherever, is that I get enough time on the pitch because I want to be part of the Olympics," he continued.
    "I've made no secret of that. Even to be in the team would be incredible. To be part of that Olympic spirit and to be able to win gold for Britain would be the ultimate [goal] for me.
    "The fact that we've got the Olympics in the east end of London where I grew up, the fact that I could be part of that and that I could be out there trying to win gold would mean a hell of a lot to me because I am very patriotic.
    "So whoever I sign for, to make sure I would be ready to make that attempt, I would have to be playing regularly."

Uploads

Ricky van Wolfswinkel: Great start at Sporting Lisbon
    VAN WOLFSWINKEL MAN UTD TALK REJECTED

Ricky van Wolfswinkel's agent has denied having any contact with Manchester United.
    The 22-year-old Holland international only joined Sporting Lisbon from Utrecht this summer.
    But the highly-rated forward has followed this up with four goals in four starts for the Portuguese giants and United are now reported to be one of those keeping close tabs on him.
    But his agent Louis Laros insists there has been no contact with any clubs.
    "Ricky is very well in Sporting and very happy with the club, the city and the supporters," Laros told Abola.
    "For him everything is perfect, for me not it is not a suprise this rumour but I have not spoken with anybody.
    "It is normal the kid is linked with other clubs because people watch the Portuguese Liga and as always club scouts check on the best men and today Ricky is one of the best forwards."

Uploads

Eric Abidal: Yet to sign new Barcelona contract
    ABIDAL CLAIMS MAN CITY INTEREST

Eric Abidal has revealed that Manchester City are one of the clubs keeping a close eye on his contract negotiations at Barcelona.
    The French full-back has been locked in talks with the reigning European champions for some time but is yet to put pen to paper.
    It is expected that fresh terms will be thrashed out, but for now his future remains uncertain.
    Barca's failure to tie him down has led a number of other clubs to put out tentative feelers regarding his availability.
    Premier League leaders City are among those to have expressed an interest, with Abidal confirming that initial contact has been made.
    "There are clubs that have shown an interest, notably PSG, Milan and Manchester City," the 32-year-old told RMC.
    "But there have been no concrete offers and I can't say any more.
    "I have a lot of respect for Barca but if we can't reach an agreement, the door is always open."
    Abidal has also claimed that he is planning to play on for at least two more years.
    He added: "I believe I have the legs to go on for two more years.
    "I have an international objective. We have qualified for Euro 2012, which is good, but I am also looking at the 2014 World Cup."

Uploads

Alessandro Del Piero: Juventus legend
    LAST SEASON AT JUVE FOR DEL PIERO

Juventus have confirmed that the 2011/12 season will be Alessandro Del Piero's last for the Turin giants.
    The 36-year-old former Italy international joined the Old Lady from Padova in 1993 and has been a virtual ever-present since.
    Del Piero is Juve's all-time record goalscorer and became their highest-capped player when he surpassed Gaetano Scirea in 2008.
    He had wanted to stay for another season with Juventus, however, they have opted against keeping him on.
    Juventus president Andrea Agnelli confirmed the news at a shareholders' meeting.
    "The unique link between the old Juventus and the new Juve is our captain, Alessandro Del Piero," commented Agnelli.
    "The link between the Stadio Comunale, Stadio delle Alpi to Stadio Olimpico to the Juventus Stadium is our captain Del Piero.
    "He wanted to stay with us for one more year, and this will be his last season wearing the black-and-white jersey."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast