Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 19-10-11

Andy Lonergan: Ruled out for six weeks
    NO GOALKEEPER DEAL FOR LEEDS

Leeds won't sign a goalkeeper on loan after Andy Lonergan was ruled out for six weeks with a finger injury.
    The Whites' first-choice shot-stopper suffered the injury in last Friday's 3-0 win at Doncaster and he has now undergone surgery.
    Paul Rachubka replaced Lonergan for Tuesday night's 1-1 draw against Coventry but he was at fault for the Sky Blues' late equaliser.
    Grayson insists Rachubka retains his support and he is happy to start with the former Blackpool man and put youngster Alex Cairns on the bench for the foreseeable future.
    "He's going to be out for six weeks," said Grayson to confirm Lonergan's stint on the sidelines.
    "He's had an operation on his finger that he fractured on Friday night and it is a blow for the lad because he's been outstanding since he's been here.
    "I've got a good, capable goalkeeper in Paul Rachubka who will stand in for him.
    "I'm not going to be bringing anybody else in.
    "I've got Paul who I trust to play at the weekend and however long Lonners is going to be out for Alex Cairns will sit on the bench."
    Grayson had some sympathy for Rachubka after he handed Coventry defender Richard Wood the chance to net in stoppage-time from close-range.
    "Goalkeepers are in a position where if they make a mistake they get punished for it and unfortunately that's been the case tonight.
    "I've got a goalkeeper I can trust, who won't let me down and he won't let me down again.
    "It's just one of those things that happens and it feels like a defeat when you concede so late on."
    The Leeds chief admits that he will be forced to bring a goalkeeper in on a temporary basis if he is left with Cairns as his only option between the sticks.
    "I'm not going to tempt fate but the most he'll probably play is 89 minutes of a game and then we'll go out and get somebody else if and when required.
    "Hopefully that will never be the case."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-10-11

Wenger: Prepares for Marseille clash
    ARSENE WENGER: I RESPECT MY CONTRACT

Arsene Wenger has committed his future to Arsenal by insisting he intends to see out the remaining three years of his contract.
    The manager, who has been at the helm of the Gunners since 1996, has been linked with a return to his native France as sporting director at wealthy Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain.
    Only 12 months ago Wenger refused to rule out joining PSG in the "near future", telling the French media: "It's not impossible, but it wouldn't be in a coaching role".
    Speaking in France ahead of Wednesday night's Champions League clash with Marseille, the Frenchman confirmed he has acted as an adviser to Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, the owner of PSG.
    But questioned whether a lucrative move to the Parc des Princes could be in the offing, Wenger replied: "I have three years to go with Arsenal and I always respect my contract."
    The tactician, who has endured a difficult start to the campaign with the Gunners this season, added: "I have known Al Kalifa and Al Jazeera [the TV station] for a long time and I advised them at some stage when they wanted to go into football, buying television rights and things like that."

Uploads

Kevin De Bruyne: Praise from Andre Villas-Boas
    'EXCEPTIONALLY GIFTED' DE BRUYNE BACKED

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas has compared Kevin De Bruyne to Belgium legend Enzo Scifo as he prepares to run the rule over the Genk midfielder again on Wednesday night.
    De Bruyne has long been linked with the Blues and revealed during the transfer window that the two clubs were in talks over his signature.
    The 20-year-old ended up staying in Belgium but has an opportunity to impress Villas-Boas at close quarters in Genk's Champions League double-header with Chelsea over the next fortnight.
    Villas-Boas said: "He's exceptionally gifted technically and reminds me of the old technical Belgian players like Enzo Scifo.
    "We've not only scouted him but we've scouted numerous different players before.
    "It doesn't mean that all of them we scout will eventually join us."
    Genk boss Mario Been admitted last night he would sell star midfielder De Bruyne to Chelsea for the right price.
    Been, who succeeded Frank Vercauteren as head coach of the Belgian champions at the end of August, said: "I know that Kevin is a really great player and that Chelsea already talked about him.
    "Chelsea look and want to buy all the big talents so, for me, it wouldn't be a surprise if Kevin went to Chelsea.
    "Everyone's got his price."
    Been was hoping for a shock result in tonight's Group E encounter against a Chelsea side expected to rest several players, possibly even captain John Terry and vice-captain Frank Lampard.
    The hosts will be without Ramires, who is also rated 50-50 for Sunday's Barclays Premier League trip to QPR, and Villas-Boas said: "The most important thing for us is that we are aware of the amount of talent that we have at our disposal.
    "Any XI that we put across is a very, very strong XI.
    "This puts us in a position of comfort to have always a good rest.
    "There are situations that might happen regarding the Queens Park Rangers game."
    Been added: "They have a big selection with a lot of great players, so it's difficult for me to know who's playing tomorrow."
    Fernando Torres is likely to be unleashed tonight, with the Spain striker currently serving a three-match domestic ban.
    Been said: "They can play (Nicolas) Anelka, they can play (Didier) Drogba, they can play Torres, they can play everybody.
    "They have a lot of players who I will say can come to Genk and help us every week to get a better result."

Uploads

Erwin Koeman: Resigns
    ERWIN KOEMAN QUITS UTRECHT

Erwin Koeman has resigned as coach of FC Utrecht after failing to resolve a series of disagreements with the club's board.
    Koeman only took over this summer but quickly became frustrated after Utrecht sold key players Dries Mertens, Kevin Strootman, Michel Vorm, Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Michael Silberbauer.
    Talks aimed at ending the dispute failed to find a resolution, leading to Koeman's departure with Jan Wouters swiftly named as his replacement.
    A statement on the club's website read: "The collaboration between FC Utrecht and Erwin Koeman has ended.
    "At the request of the coach his contract has been terminated with immediate effect.
    "Koeman has taken this decision as he believes the working conditions do not meet his requirements.
    "There have been various discussions between the club's management and Koeman but the coach did not see the desired progress in the short term.
    "FC Utrecht do not feel they can meet Koeman's conditions and have agreed to his request to have his contract rescinded."
    Wouters, one of Koeman's assistants, will be in charge for this weekend's home clash with Heerenveen. Robby Alflen will be his number two.
    Utrecht are 10th in the Eredivisie having won just one of their last four league games.

Uploads

Jeremie Aliadiere : Set to extend Lorient stay
    ALIADIERE SET FOR NEW LORIENT DEAL

Lorient are poised to reward striker Jeremie Aliadiere with a three-year contract extension after he impressed in his early games for the club.
    The former Arsenal and Middlesbrough striker is currently out with a thigh problem, but he is close to signing on until 2015 with the Ligue 1 club.
    Aliadiere, 28, initially joined Lorient for one year, but Lorient inserted the option to prolong his stay.
    Club president Loic Fery told L'Equipe: "We had planned to see to it at the end of the month, but it is almost done.
    "The conditions were agreed, so there is no need to discuss that, and both sides want to extend the deal."

Uploads

Robert Pires: Wants to keep playing
    PIRES HOPING TO PLAY ON

Robert Pires is hoping to extend his playing career in Qatar or Russia and insists he still has plenty to offer.
    The French midfielder, who will turn 38 on October 29, was released by Aston Villa in the summer after a six-month spell with the club.
    Pires claims there was English lower-league interest in signing him at one stage, but he is now looking elsewhere.
    However, should he not receive an appealing offer, Pires has confirmed he will retire.
    The former Marseille, Arsenal and Villarreal player told Marseille's official website: "I had interest from the English second division.
    "I'm waiting to see if those from Qatar or Russia materialise, and if there is nothing I feel ready to stop.
    "I know that the new buzz phrase is that a player is 'burnt out' but I know I'm not."

Uploads

Aleksandar Tunchev: Could return to Palace
    PALACE WANT TUNCHEV BACK

Crystal Palace are keen to bring Leicester defender Aleksandar Tunchev back to Selhurst Park for a second loan spell in January.
    The Bulgaria international will return to Leicester at the start of November because emergency loan deals cannot be extended beyond 93 days.
    Palace boss Dougie Freedman has confirmed that he will make a fresh move for the 30-year-old in the new year.
    "I've not drawn a line through Tunchev returning," Freedman told the South London Press.
    "We'll try and get him back in January.
    "I'm hoping we've done enough as a club in the way we've treated him that we can do something if Leicester don't want him."

Uploads

Lucho Gonzalez: Still at Marseille
    WENGER ADMITS GONZALEZ INTEREST

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has admitted he tried to sign Marseille ace Lucho Gonzalez in the summer.
    Wenger made an enquiry for Gonzalez as he looked for a replacement for Cesc Fabregas following his move to Barcelona.
    Arsenal tried to land the Argentine playmaker on loan, but the deal fell through and Gonzalez remained at Stade Velodrome.
    The Gunners will come up against Gonzalez when they lock horns with Marseille in the Champions League on Wednesday night and Wenger is an admirer of the former Porto man.
    "Lucho was a player I liked," admitted Wenger.
    "They didn't want to give him out on loan. We didn't go as far as discussing a permanent move."

Uploads

Duncan Ferguson: Back coaching at Everton
    DUNCAN FERGUSON BACK AT EVERTON

Former Everton hero Duncan Ferguson is working with the club's youth set-up as he studies for his coaching badges..
    Ferguson, who spent almost 10 years at Everton as a player in two spells, has ambitions to go into management and has been allowed to work under head of youth development Alan Irvine.
    Everton boss David Moyes has also refused to rule out a long-term Goodison Park role for Ferguson once his fellow Scot is fully qualified.
    "Duncan came back about a month ago and met me. He wants to watch and see what's going on, so he is back and helping Alan Irvine," Moyes told the Liverpool Echo.
    "He is not a qualified coach yet because he is going through his badges, but we have got him in and he's happy to do the time and he is working down at the academy.
    "He is showing he really wants to do it.
    "Could it lead to something here? It could do, but what you need is your qualifications and that is the first thing."

Uploads

Clint Hill: Could return to QPR
    WARNOCK HINTS AT HILL RETURN

QPR boss Neil Warnock is considering recalling Clint Hill from his loan spell at Nottingham Forest.
    The left-back was loaned out to Forest in September after dropping down the pecking order at Loftus Road, but injuries have since hit Warnock's squad.
    Defenders Matthew Connolly and Danny Gabbidon have both been sidelined and Warnock admitted he would have liked to have called upon Hill in last weekend's draw with Blackburn.
    "We'll discuss it but it's certainly a possibility," admitted Warnock.
    "I'd have probably played him the other day against Blackburn if I'm honest.
    "The problem is we had to have him playing matches, and we couldn't call him back if we didn't feel we could use him."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast