Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 20-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 20-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 20-10-11

Marco van Basten: No Ajax return
    NO AJAX RETURN FOR VAN BASTEN

Marco van Basten will not be returning to Ajax to become their new director of football.
    The former Ajax player and coach was put forward for the role by club advisor Johan Cruyff but talks have failed to find an agreement.
    Van Basten told Sport1: "I have spoken with Ajax and that in itself was interesting.
    "But there were lots of ifs and buts and ultimately they were not easily resolved so we said forget it."
    It is believed Guus Hiddink is now Ajax's primary target but he still has commitments as coach of Turkey as they prepare for the Euro 2012 play-off against Croatia.
    Marc Overmars and Edwin van der Sar have also been mentioned as possible candidates.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 20-10-11

Salomon Kalou: Wants more game time
    KALOU SEEKS CHELSEA GUARANTEES

Salomon Kalou has told Chelsea he wants a guarantee of more game time before he signs a new contract at Stamford Bridge.
    Kalou had looked set to leave the club when his current deal expires next summer but manager Andre Villas-Boas revealed last week that talks had begun with the striker over an extension.
    The parties need to reach an agreement before January if Chelsea are to avoid risking Kalou leaving for nothing, and the 26-year-old has spelt out his terms, chiefly that he wants to be elevated from the fringe status he has endured since joining the club five years ago.
    "That's what every player wants to have, game time," said Kalou, who once again found himself on the bench in the 5-0 Champions League thrashing of Genk.
    "Because if you're not playing every weekend, how are you going to improve yourself?
    "So it's very important to play to improve and to push yourself to the limit.
    "That's what I'm looking for."
    Kalou, who started the first two Barclays Premier League games under Villas-Boas but has been in the XI just once since, added: "We're still talking and hopefully the club is putting itself in a good position and me myself as well.
    "I think we're going to agree on something good.
    "I want to stay, I want to be here. I like Chelsea. I've had a fantastic five seasons here and won some prizes.
    "Chelsea are looking forward to the future and I'm still a young player and I think my future can be here."
    Kalou took full advantage of a 22-minute cameo last night to net his first goal of the season.
    The strike capped Chelsea's equal biggest Champions League victory as they showed no mercy to their injury-ravaged ravaged opponents to stay top of Group E.
    Asked if Genk were one of the worst sides he had faced, Kalou said: "You cannot take away the good performance of Chelsea.
    "We played good football and we scored very early, so that gave us also the opportunity to create more chances.
    "So I cannot say we played the worst team."
    Fernando Torres must wish he could play Genk every week after netting his first Champions League goals for two and a half years.
    Raul Meireles also scored his first for Chelsea and Branislav Ivanovic got the other to take the club's tally to 18 in their last five matches.
    Kalou said: "The team is coming on together and playing good football, adding a lot of goals.
    "We have to keep pushing ourselves to the limit.
    "That's the only way you can achieve big things."
    Genk boss Mario Been claimed his side were beaten by potential Champions League winners.
    "They're a team with possibilities, when I see what's in the stand and on the bench," said Been, whose side must endure another match with Chelsea in less than a fortnight.
    "It's possible this could damage us. We're missing a lot of players, so we're not in the best shape. But we have to get on with it."

Uploads

McInnes: Signs deal until summer of 2014
    McINNES NAMED NEW ROBINS BOSS

Bristol City chairman Colin Sexstone hailed Derek McInnes' "drive and energy" after the 40-year-old left St Johnstone to become the Robins' new manager.
    McInnes has signed a contract with the npower Championship strugglers until summer 2014.
    "Derek was the unanimous choice of the board of directors and majority shareholder," Sexstone told the club's official website.
    "He's an impressive character who is very highly-rated in the game and comes here on the back of a superb stint at St Johnstone."
    McInnes, who will be formally unveiled as the Ashton Gate outfit's new boss on Thursday, led St Johnstone to promotion to the Scottish Premier League in 2009 and leaves them in fifth place in the table.
    Sexstone added: "His passion, his great track record, he's a manager on the up with a real understanding of the game.
    "Derek has the drive and energy that proved to us he was the right man to take the club forward, both in the short term and - even more importantly - in the medium to long term.
    "Throughout this process we received applications from a host of very strong candidates but in the end Derek stood out above all others.
    "I'm sure our supporters will give Derek their full backing, starting this Sunday for our home game with Birmingham City, as we begin a new era and strive to move up the Championship table and beyond."
    Former Scotland midfielder McInnes' first managerial job in England is certainly a tough challenge.
    He succeeds Keith Millen in charge of a side who are rock bottom of the table, have won just once in 12 league games and not tasted victory at home in any competition this season.
    The Robins are just two points behind second-bottom Doncaster, though, and four from safety.
    McInnes has kept St Johnstone in the SPL for the past two seasons and survival will be the primary objective at City.
    Saints chairman Geoff Brown conceded a fortnight ago that the Perth club would find it hard to hang on to him.
    He told the Daily Record: "The wages in the Championship make the money St Johnstone can afford to pay a manager look insignificant.
    "When (former St Johnstone manager) Owen (Coyle) won Burnley promotion (from the Championship) I understand he got a bonus that set him up for life.
    "If the downside of having young managers who make St Johnstone successful is that other clubs are attracted to them I can't make apologies for that.
    "It's better to lose your manager than have to sack him one day."

Uploads

Steve Howard: Possible loan exit
    FAZACKERLEY OPEN TO LOAN DEALS

Assistant manager Derek Fazackerley has revealed that some of Leicester's fringe players may be allowed to go out on loan.
    Before the suspension of captain Matt Mills presented him with a three-match opportunity, defender Sean St Ledger had said he may pursue a temporary move away from the King Power Stadium if he could not force his way into Sven-Goran Eriksson's side.
    In addition, players such as Steve Howard, Lloyd Dyer and Franck Moussa have struggled to make it into Leicester's 16-man match-day squad this season.
    "It has made it very difficult to keep everyone happy this season after they reduced it to five substitutes, because that is two more players who are not involved and disappointed," Fazackerley told the Leicester Mercury.
    "The lads have handled it very professionally, but the longer they go without a game it becomes that more difficult for them.
    "I am sure the players would look to go on loan, but we have to look after the interest of the club and I don't think during the first month of any loan period you can recall anyone. It makes it a difficult balancing act.
    "It is something we need to look at as the season progresses. If it is right for the club and the player, there is a possibility that one or two may go out on loan."

Uploads

Rudi Skacel: Enjoying life at Hearts
    SKACEL HAPPY AT HEARTS

Hearts winger Rudi Skacel has confirmed he would be happy extending his contract with the Tynecastle outfit.
    The 32-year-old Czech midfielder signed a six-month deal in August that is due to expire at the end of January.
    Former club Slavia Prague have been linked with a move for his signature, however, he is in no rush to leave the SPL club.
    Skacel is remaining calm over his future and insists that as long as he is playing regularly then fresh terms can be agreed.
    "I'm not looking into the future now. I'm satisfied at Hearts and if I'm playing regularly I believe we will reach an agreement over the contract extension with Mr Romanov," he told iDnes.cz.
    "At the time of the agreement me and owner Vladimir Romanov were both satisfied even though I would have preferred a longer contract."
    Skacel found the back of the net in Hearts' recent 2-0 win over Celtic and he has declared himself happy with his recent form.
    "In October things turned around and I was in the XI against Celtic," he continued. "I scored and then in the first match after the international break I scored again.
    "So we'll have to see if I'm in the team to play Rangers on Sunday. We're now playing a 4-3-3 formation while I was used as a central midfielder last season.
    "This year I'm now on the right side. You can't be too picky and must be glad to play anywhere. That's why I've been doing my best on the wing."

Uploads

Marouane Chamakh: Still has a future at Arsenal
    WENGER: CHAMAKH STAYS AT ARSENAL

Arsene Wenger has declared Marouane Chamakh will not be leaving Arsenal in January, despite the striker's lack of match action of late.
    Chamakh has only been involved as a substitute in Premier League matches this season, a 14-minute cameo at Blackburn his longest spell on the pitch.
    He scored his only goal of the campaign in the defeat at Ewood Park but has started in several Carling Cup and Champions League games this term.
    The Morocco international signed for the Gunners from Bordeaux in the summer of 2010 and notched 10 goals in his first 21 appearances for the club.
    But he has since failed to make an impact and the striker has been linked to Marseille, Juventus and Rennes.
    Theo Walcott, Robin van Persie and Gervinho have all been selected ahead of the 27-year-old in recent outings.
    Arsenal beat Marseille on Wednesday night to move to the top of Group F in the Champions League but Wenger was keen to dismiss the speculation over Chamakh's future.
    He said: "Marouane is not going anywhere; there is not a problem with Chamakh.
    "He is fighting for the position with Robin van Persie who is in great form at the moment. He will get his chance, we have so many games."
    Chamakh said: "I love this club and I will do all I can to be a success here with Arsenal, I am working hard to reach my level."

Uploads

Mateo Kovacic: No talks with Manchester United
    DINAMO DENY MAN UNITED CONTACT

Dinamo Zagreb have insisted Manchester United have not made contact with them over Mateo Kovacic.
    Arsenal have previously made a move for the 17-year-old midfielder, but Dinamo's asking price was too high.
    Now United have been linked with a move for Kovacic, but his club insists there has been no contact with the English champions.
    "We cannot hide the fact that that many clubs are following Mateo Kovacic," Dinamo's sporting director Zoran Mamic said.
    "Scouts from the biggest European clubs are coming to our games and analysing his capabilities. There is no point in naming them, as they are really the top European clubs."
    But on United he added: "You should ask them, if they are interested in Kovacic. We didn't have any contact with Manchester or Sir Alex Ferguson or talks on that subject, nor have we received any kind of offer from them."

Uploads

Derek McInnes: Left for Bristol City
    ST JOHNSTONE WON'T RUSH APPOINTMENT

St Johnstone chairman Geoff Brown insists the club will not be rushed into replacing departed boss Derek McInnes.
    McInnes ended a four-year spell in charge of Saints to take the helm at Championship side Bristol City on Wednesday.
    Attention has swiftly turned to his successor but although Rangers skipper David Weir has been tipped for a maiden chance at management, Brown has vowed to explore all options.
    "We wish Derek well," Brown said. "Let's hope the next manager can do just as good a job. I will make sure we get the right man in. We won't be rushing to make an appointment.
    "A quick fix is sometimes not the best route to go down and we will take our time to get a new manager in. We certainly won't be panicking.
    "People who are applying for the job will have to realise where we are in Scottish football. We won't be throwing about big bucks on players."
    McInnes has said he would be happy to help.
    As he was unveiled by Bristol City on Thursday, he said taking the opportunity to work in the npower Championship was "professionally the right decision".
    But he gave a glowing account of the team and management structure he has left behind north of the border, and handed an invitation to Brown to ask his opinion on who should succeed him at McDiarmid Park.
    "I had a really good relationship with my chairman and I'll continue to have that," he said.
    "Any help or guidance or advice that I can offer if asked, I'd be glad to help.
    "I've left behind a very good club. A lot of hard work goes into it, there's a lot of support and what we lacked in numbers we certainly didn't lack in passion. I had a lot of good people that I worked with there.
    "I'm only part of it and they've got the quality in the squad to kick on from where they are. I'm sure they'll do that."

Uploads

Chris Kirkland: Back with Wigan
    KIRKLAND RETURNS TO WIGAN

Wigan goalkeeper Chris Kirkland has returned from his loan spell with npower Championship side Doncaster after just one match because of a back problem.
    The former England international only made his Rovers debut on Friday after signing a three-month deal two days previously.
    However, the 30-year-old, for whom back complaints have been a recurring issue during his career, suffered a spasm and returned to the DW Stadium for treatment instead of playing in the midweek defeat at Blackpool.
    "We were ready to see Chris in action on Tuesday but unfortunately he has had a little bit of a setback," said manager Roberto Martinez.
    "It is nothing too serious and we should see him back in the next six to seven days. We are talking about a minor problem and we will solve it pretty quickly."
    Providing Kirkland regains his fitness as quickly as expected Martinez is still keen for the player to go back out on loan - although no definite decision has been made yet.
    "We have to make sure we give him the best possible treatment and get him back to full fitness and then we will assess it then," added the Spaniard.
    "It was great to see him playing against Leeds and now we need to make sure he carries on playing and gets himself fully fit.
    "Chris is having treatment at the moment and we are not going to look into the loan situation.
    "When we made the decision he was allowed to play football we haven't changed that and we will reassesses when he gets fully fit.
    "We are not going to call the loan off yet. It is important we go step by step and the first step is to get Chris fully fit."
    Martinez said Wigan felt they had solved the long-standing problem with Kirkland's back.
    "There were reasons why it happened (in the past)," he said.
    "We were disappointed because there were things that could have been prevented from a preparation point of view but Chris is an experienced man and he knows why it happened."

Uploads

Jimmy Kebe: Out of contract next summer
    McDERMOTT KEEN TO KEEP KEBE

Reading manager Brian McDermott is confident Jimmy Kebe will stay at the club beyond next summer.
    The 27-year-old Mali winger is out of contract at the end of the season and the Royals have failed to tie up a new deal as of yet - but McDermott is calm.
    He said: "I've spoken to Jimmy, he has told me he loves Reading and wants to stay. I know Jimmy well and I'm sure he would come to see me if that has changed."
    Kebe made his return from injury in the 2-2 draw wtih Derby, and McDermott added: "He hasn't played for a month and I thought he did well when he came in on Tuesday."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast