Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 21-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 21-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 21-10-11

Carlos Tevez: Disciplinary hearing
    MAN CITY QUIET ON CARLOS TEVEZ

Manchester City are staying quiet on details of Carlos Tevez's disciplinary hearing.
    Tevez was due on Friday to answer charges arising from an investigation into his conduct on the bench during last month's Champions League game at Bayern Munich.
    The investigation was launched after Roberto Mancini alleged the 27-year-old refused to play as a substitute in the second half of the 2-0 loss at the Allianz Arena.
    Tevez, who was suspended for a fortnight during the inquiry, denied the allegation and blamed a misunderstanding.
    The Argentinian said he thought he was being asked to warm up again and he deemed that unnecessary as he had already done so.
    The club have given no details relating to the hearing, but it is understood Tevez will be charged with failure to resume warming up rather than a refusal to play.
    While that would suggest City have been unable to find sufficient evidence to fully corroborate Mancini's claims, the player would still face sanctions if found guilty.
    Tevez would then be able to exercise his right to an appeal, which would be heard by a board of City directors.
    Should another ruling go against him, he could appeal to the Premier League. That whole process could see the saga run into December.
    The outcome of Friday's hearing is unlikely to be made public until early next week.
    Tevez has been training alone since returning from suspension and there is little prospect of a first-team recall for Sunday's eagerly-anticipated derby clash against Manchester United in the Premier League.
    Mancini was again unable to answer questions about the situation at his regular pre-match press conference.
    As has become customary, a club official warned reporters that questions relating to Tevez were not permitted.
    Mancini added: "We have an important game and this is more important."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 21-10-11

Marouane Chamakh: Staying at Arsenal
    AGENT REJECTS CHAMAKH SPECULATION

Marouane Chamakh's agent has played down talk linking the Arsenal striker with a move to Roma and insisted he is happy at the Emirates Stadium.
    Chamakh made a fine start to his Gunners career after arriving from Bordeaux in the summer of 2010, but started to struggle for form during the second half of last season.
    He has had limited opportunities to impress this term and speculation has suggested he could be set to leave when the transfer window reopens in January.
    Roma have been credited with an interest in the Moroccan as they consider bolstering their attacking options following a poor recent run.
    However, Arsene Wenger insisted earlier this week that Chamakh would get the chance to shine and the player's agent says he will not be going anywhere in the New Year.
    Pierre Frelot told calciomercato.it: "The news about Marouane and Roma is absolutely unfounded.
    "My client is happy at Arsenal and will remain here. There is no doubt."

Uploads

Sebastien Bassong: Linked with QPR switch
    BASSONG CONSIDERING JANUARY MOVE

Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong would be open to the possibility of a January transfer to QPR after claiming he was unfairly left out of Spurs' first team at the start of the season.
    Bassong was a regular part of Harry Redknapp's defence after signing in 2009, but has since fallen down the pecking order at White Hart Lane thanks to the emergence of Michael Dawson and Younes Kaboul, and the signing of William Gallas.
    The Cameroon defender played 20 times in the 2009-10 season and is yet to start a Barclays Premier League game this term, with Redknapp preferring to play the former Newcastle man in the club's Europa League matches, where he has captained the team for the last three fixtures.
    The 25-year-old was on the verge of joining QPR this summer, but the deal fell through after Spurs missed out on signing his replacement - Bolton's Gary Cahill.
    Bassong played well in Thursday night's 1-0 win over Rubin Kazan and is now set for a spell in Tottenham's league side thanks to injuries to Gallas, Dawson and Ledley King.
    The defender is happy that he will get more game time, but admits he has found not playing this season hard to take.
    "Has not playing often been difficult? Yes, of course. I'm human - I have feelings and emotions," Bassong said.
    "But no matter what happens, I have to take it and move on. Yes, it's been difficult - my situation has been difficult, I think everyone knows that.
    "I think maybe it wasn't that fair, but that's football and life is not fair sometimes, so what do you want me to do? I just keep playing and smiling. It's okay."
    Now with the backing of Air Asia tycoon Tony Fernandes, QPR boss Neil Warnock has plenty of funds available for new signings in the January transfer window.
    Bassong has been one of the names strongly linked with the west London outfit recently, but the centre-back hopes to take the upcoming opportunity of first-team football with both hands and persuade Redknapp he should be a regular in the league.
    Should he fail to do so, however, Bassong would be open to leaving the club in January.
    "I'm interested in everything," Bassong said.
    "I'm not going to say 'No, I'm not interested in anyone who's coming for me'.
    "First of all, I want to play for Spurs. When I'm playing here, I'm happy. Then, if I'm not playing enough, then we're going to think about something else.
    "But for now, I played last night, I've come back fine - I'm happy.
    "When you get a chance to play, you feel more confident. When the manager gives you a chance to play, no matter which games it is, you feel better.
    "You can express yourself and show people you're still here and that the manager can count on you. I think that's what I'm doing and I think I'm doing well."
    Spurs head to Blackburn on Sunday on the back of a five-match unbeaten run which has seen them climb to sixth in the league after a poor start.
    In contrast, their opponents are rooted to the foot of the table after a woeful start to their campaign which has led to many fans calling for Rovers manager Steve Keen to be sacked.
    Bassong, who will start in defence alongside Spurs' only other fit centre-half, Kaboul, is expecting a hard game in the north-west despite their opposition's problems.
    "It will be a tough game. We know what to expect - they're fighting for their lives at the bottom of the league so we'll have to be professional and do the job," Bassong said.
    "Playing on Thursday and Sunday is tough so we'll have to recover very quickly."

Uploads

Sanchez Watt: Extends Arsenal stay
    NEW CONTRACTS FOR ARSENAL DUO

Arsenal duo Conor Henderson and Sanchez Watt have signed new contracts to commit their long-term futures to the club.
    Republic of Ireland Under-21 international Henderson has yet to make the breakthrough into the first team at the Emirates Stadium but is rated extremely highly by club bosses.
    The midfielder was a regular for the reserves last term and travelled with Arsene Wenger's senior squad for the pre-season trip to Germany, only to be struck down by a knee injury that has kept him sidelined for the past few months.
    Striker Watt, who joined Arsenal at the age of eight, has scored five goals in six appearances for the second string this season.
    The 20-year-old was a part of the Carling Cup squad to face Shrewsbury in September and will be looking to keep challenging for a first-team place over the coming months.
    Watt has previously had loan spells at Southend and Leeds, and faced his parent club last season as Arsenal won at Elland Road in an FA Cup third-round replay.

Uploads

Gonzalo Jara: Joins Brighton on loan
    SEAGULLS LAND JARA ON LOAN

Brighton have agreed a loan deal with West Brom's Chile international Gonzalo Jara until January 2.
    The 26-year-old, who can play in defence or as a defensive midfielder, has 49 international caps and made 24 starts for West Brom in the Premier League last season.
    Seagulls boss Gus Poyet told the club's official website: "Gonzalo has a great pedigree having played for Chile's top team, before helping West Brom to promotion to the Premiership (sic).
    "He also has Premiership experience having been a first choice last season, and he will bring quality and add experience of this level and higher, and help us recapture our early season form.
    "He also brings versatility - he can play anywhere across the back four or as a defensive midfielder."

Uploads

Darren Purse: Loan switch
    PURSE LEAVES MILLWALL ON LOAN

Defender Darren Purse has left Millwall for Yeovil on a month's loan.
    Purse arrived at the New Den in January after leaving Sheffield Wednesday by mutual consent, and made 13 appearances for the club last season.
    However, he has only played one Carling Cup match this campaign, and has been snapped up by the Glovers as cover for Paul Huntington, who has a broken hand.
    The former Birmingham and West Brom centre-back will be available for Yeovil's trip to Stevenage.

Uploads

Hughes: Wants a new club
    HUGHES READY FOR NEW START

Bryan Hughes insists he still has plenty to offer as he sets his sights on finding a new club this season.
    The 35-year-old is currently training with League Two side Accrington and hopes a deal could be reached soon - although he remains open to other potential offers. Hughes, who enjoyed his most successful times at Birmingham, Charlton and Hull during a career which started at Wrexham back in 1994, spent his summer in Iceland with IBV Vestmannaeyjaris working on his fitness having endured a difficult 2010-11 campaign and is now raring to go.
    He said: "I've been training with Accrington the last couple of weeks and it's been going well. I feel a lot fitter. I'm trying to get a contract for this season and Accrington have invited me in there. I think they have a couple of budget issues but they I think they would like to bring me in.
    "I just want to get back playing now. They've obviously been good enough to give me the opportunity to train with them and are interested in me, so hopefully a deal might happen.
    "I've been over in Iceland during the summer. I went there to get fit because I'd just had a stop start season with a few injuries. So I took it upon myself to go to Iceland when other players would be on their holidays just to try and maintain my fitness and come back in a better condition. I think I've done that."
    Hughes believes his experience of promotion winning campaigns and playing in the Premier League would be a valuable asset to many clubs and feels he has a lot of knowledge and advice to pass on to younger players.
    He said: "I had some great moments at Birmingham, where I helped them win promotion and get into the Premier League and obviously playing in the League Cup final was a great achievement when we played Liverpool.
    "At Charlton one of the best moments was knocking Jose Mourinho's Chelsea out of the League Cup - his first home defeat - and I scored the winning penalty in the shoot-out.
    "Being promoted with Hull was also a massive achievement.
    "You never forget playing in the Premier League at all the big grounds against some of the greatest players. Hopefully all my experience of playing at that level can pay off for another team this season and I can help their younger players.
    "My thought process is maybe a little bit quicker than players who haven't been at such a high level. So hopefully I can pass on my skills, information and advice onto younger players who are trying to work their way up.
    "Obviously I was a young player once, starting out at Wrexham, so I know what it's like to get to the top. I can give a lot of advice."
    Hughes admits it has been tough trying to get back into the loop having become a "forgotten" man during his last season at Hull, who then released him in January 2010.
    He said: "My last season at Hull Phil Brown wasn't picking me so I found myself just playing in the reserves.
    "And when you drop down to that level sometimes you can get forgotten about. I found it quite hard and when I had my contract cancelled by Hull, I went training with Sheffield United.
    "They actually offered me a contract but we had just gone past the deadline in which they could bring players in so that deal never materialised.
    "The following season it was like I was out of mind, out of thought. Kevin Blackwell got sacked as manager of Sheffield United so I was back to square one trying to get a contract.
    ""I had a few trials and ended up playing for Burton over Christmas to get some games but I actually only played in one because all the others were called off due to the bad weather. So it was just a stop-start year for me.
    "A lot of teams at the moment are looking to bring in the youth of the top sides to give them experience. Wages-wise they don't have to pay a great deal for them because the parent clubs will fund that anyway.
    "But as an experienced professional I still feel I have a lot to offer. I've been around the game a long time and had some great moments. I think once you get your foot in the door somewhere, like I am at Accrington, and you can show what you can do and what you can bring to their squad then something can happen.
    "They say the older you get you lose your fitness - but I still feel fit. Obviously others can judge that when they see me but I think my talent is still there and I believe I can play at a high level."

Uploads

Steve Kean: Pressure continues
    STEVE KEAN FOCUSED ON SPURS CLASH

Blackburn manager Steve Kean insists he is concentrating on kick-starting his team's season this weekend despite the backdrop of another fans protest looming.
    Sunday's match at home to Tottenham will see an organised group of supporters march to Ewood Park prior to kick-off and stage a 45-minute sit in after the match.
    It will be third successive home game fans have called for Kean to be sacked with the team bottom of the Barclays Premier League.
    Questions about the protest were ruled off-limits at the manager's pre-match press conference but that will not prevent further debate about Kean's position.
    This week striker Ayegbeni Yakubu insisted all the players were fully behind Kean, who has won just six of his 29 league matches in charge, and the Rovers boss welcomed that public support.
    "It is nice when your players give you a little bit of backing," said the Scot.
    "I know what my players are like - they are a great bunch of lads who work their socks off.
    "We will go out and be fully committed to getting three points against Tottenham but it is always nice when the boys voice togetherness, not just about me but about each other."
    Organisers of the protest claim their voice is not being heard within the club - not necessarily over the future of Kean but generally - despite a group being invited to India earlier this month to meet owners Venky's.
    "The supporters have no desire to protest but while the club continues to have no dialogue with supporters we feel we have little choice," Glen Mullen, one of the organisers, said in a statement.
    "The fans want unity from both the club and management to include the unity of supporters.
    "We are very concerned we find ourselves staging a protest for the third home game on the trot and feel the club and management team could have brought these protests to an end if they had shown a willingness to communicate."
    Rovers have won just once this season, at home to Arsenal, and have just five points from eight matches.
    So far a gap has not opened up at the bottom - Rovers are only three points off 12th - but Kean knows their bad run cannot continue for too long.
    "We are at the stage in the season now when we need to put together performances for the full 90 minutes and get points on the board," added Kean.
    "You keep things upbeat by getting the lads out to work because they enjoy training and working on things.
    "There is a balance to be struck. No matter what the result is there is very seldom the perfect game and there is always something to work on."
    Utility player Martin Olsson admits the players cannot afford to get down about results or forthcoming fixtures - they head to Norwich before Chelsea visit.
    "It is not good of course but we have to think about the positives," said the Swede.
    "If we get three wins in a row we will be up there straight away.
    "We have to think positively not negatively because if we do that we will just stay down there.
    "We have to move forward and think of a win on Sunday.
    "Tottenham and Chelsea are the next two home games. They are tough games but we have done it before.
    "We are going to give them a game and give 100 per cent, that is all we can do."

Uploads

Pardew: Wants the right players
    PARDEW LOOKS FOR THE RIGHT PLAYERS

Alan Pardew has insisted Newcastle's self-imposed ban on "trophy" signings does not mean they will not be in the market for top players.
    In issuing a mission statement at the weekend, managing director Derek Llambias confirmed the club's policy of avoiding the kind of vast expense which in the past has brought the likes of Michael Owen and Patrick Kluivert to St James' Park with limited returns.
    However, while Pardew agrees with that stance as the club moves towards financial self-sufficiency, he is adamant it does not mean owner Mike Ashley will not spend heavily if they can get the right player.
    He said: "I understand their point. Not just under Mike's tenure as the owner of this football club, before that, big players signed here, and at other clubs, and have not been a success.
    "I don't really like putting tags on players because that doesn't mean to say we can't buy an expensive players, we just need to buy the right players for this football club.
    "I understand their point. They have been hurt, and if you have been hurt with a big, big signing who hasn't produced anything on the pitch, you are going to be slightly wary of that type of player."
    Since the Magpies suffered relegation from the Barclays Premier League at the end of the 2008-09 season, expenditure on transfer fees and wages has been significantly reduced with the club looking to invest in potential.
    The recruitment of Ivory Coast international Cheick Tiote for around 3.5million has proved a masterstroke, while summer arrival Yohan Cabaye is already looking a bargain at 4.8million.
    Their captures owe much to the work of chief scout Graham Carr and his team, but Pardew also praised Llambias for getting to grips with the transfer system.
    He said: "Graham and our scouts here, like any football club, work hard. There's a lot goes on in the Premier League and all through the divisions which goes unseen by the general fan.
    "We must have 15, 20, maybe more than that, scouts who go out every week covering games and making sure we are covering all the bases.
    "But you also need to think outside the box and I think we are pretty good at that as well.
    "Derek understands how to deal with agents now and how to make sure we don't miss out on a deal or a player who might be of interest to us.
    "Communication and information are very, very important."
    Work is already under way to identify and assess potential targets for January and beyond, although amid speculation Sochaux striker Modibo Maiga is closing to agreeing a move to Tyneside, Pardew, who has also been linked with unsettled QPR midfielder Adel Taarabt, insisted planning is still at an early stage.
    Asked if that process was ongoing, he said: "Not in terms of discussions with clubs or players, but certainly, we are looking at players and finding out the information we need to find out about their character, etc, etc."
    Asked specifically about Maiga, who was a serious target during the summer, Pardew said: "I'm not going to talk about transfers in October because it's irrelevant. That hasn't come from this end."
    Meanwhile, Pardew moved to quell speculation full-back Danny Simpson could leave the club either in January or at the end of the season after the player revealed that could be a possibility during a court appearance earlier this week.
    The manager said: "He's been a great player for us and he will be going forward. He wants to earn a new contract and if he keeps playing like he is, there's a good chance he will get one."