Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 24-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 24-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 24-10-11

Robin van Persie: Great form for Arsenal
    GERVINHO: VAN PERSIE MUST STAY

Arsenal striker Gervinho admits it is vital skipper Robin van Persie stays at the club.
    Van Persie underlined his importance to the Gunners yet again when he climbed off the bench to score twice in Sunday's 3-1 win over Stoke at the Emirates.
    The 28-year-old has now hit a phenomenal 30 goals in 36 matches in 2011, but his current contract runs out in less than two years and he has not begun discussions about a new one.
    Gervinho showed he too can be a big part in Arsenal's future by opening the scoring and, after Peter Crouch equalised for Stoke, setting up both Van Persie's goals.
    And while manager Arsene Wenger insists the Gunners are no one-man team, Gervinho knows they cannot afford to be without their Dutch talisman.
    "We always need our best players so a player like Robin, frankly, we need him to stay at the club," said the Ivory Coast striker.
    "It would give me pleasure if he stayed. I have just arrived and I would like him to stay so I can play with him a while longer.
    "This is a personal thing between Robin, the coach and the directors. Each of us takes care of his own career and the most important thing in the dressing room is to talk about the team.
    "Psychologically, Robin is good for us. He is among the most experienced players on the pitch and when he comes on, he puts the opposition's defence under pressure and that helps our game.
    "Against Stoke, he came on and scored two goals. He is an excellent player and the team need him.
    "You always have to have leaders in the group and he is a player who drags the team forward. He is the captain, his role is to galvanise the group and he assumes the responsibility."
    Van Persie was rested to the bench after a hectic recent schedule, and both he and Gervinho will both be able to put their feet up when Wenger turns his attention to the Carling Cup meeting with Bolton tomorrow night.
    One striker who will get a chance to impress is South Korea captain Park Chu-young, after Wenger confirmed the 26-year-old will make his second appearance since joining from Monaco.
    "He will get his chance. He is fantastic," said Wenger.
    "People forget he only arrived two months ago. Some big players have waited much longer than two months before they have played."
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Yossi Benayoun are also expected to be involved against Wanderers.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 24-10-11

Javier Hernandez: New Manchester United contract
    CHICHARITO SIGNS NEW MAN UNITED DEAL

Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez has signed a new five-year contract which will keep him at Old Trafford until the end of the 2015/16 season, the Barclays Premier League champions have announced.
    The Mexico international made a stunning impact after arriving in England last season, with 20 goals in all competitions, and United have responded to both that and recent speculation linking the player with Real Madrid by tying him down to a long-term deal.
    Hernandez said: "Playing for Manchester United has been a dream come true for me.
    I never expected my first year to go so well and I'm delighted to commit my future to United.
    "To win a title and appear in a Champions League final was fantastic.
    I'm looking forward to helping my team-mates as we bid to win more trophies for this great club."
    Manager Sir Alex Ferguson added: "The last player I remember making an impact as big and as quickly as Javier is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and he reminds me of Ole a lot.
    His talent for creating space in the box and his finishing ability mark him out as a natural goalscorer.
    "Off the pitch, he is a pleasure to manage.
    He works very hard and is a popular member of the squad."
    The news comes as a welcome boost for a United side smarting from Sunday's 6-1 hammering at home to rivals Manchester City.

Uploads

Steve Kean: Hopes for support from fans
    KEAN HOPES TO GET SUPPORT FROM FANS

Blackburn boss Steve Kean remains hopeful of winning over the Rovers fans who are calling for him to be sacked.
    Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Tottenham at Ewood Park means Rovers have taken just five points from nine Barclays Premier League fixtures this term.
    The Lancashire outfit are bottom of the table and have won only six of their 30 top-flight games since Kean replaced Sam Allardyce last December.
    For the third successive home league match Blackburn supporters staged a protest against Kean, making their unhappiness known before and after the game.
    After the final whistle a group of fans in the Ronnie Clayton End unfurled 'Kean Out' banners and chanted for the Scot to be dismissed by owners Venky's.
    The 44-year-old insisted he was "not really paying any attention" to those involved in the demonstrations, but having been encouraged by his players' efforts against Spurs, Kean is still optimistic that he can change people's minds about the direction Rovers are heading in with him in charge.
    "You hope that you can turn around people who have got a little bit of negativity and want to have a go," Kean said.
    "We didn't turn them around with the result, but hopefully they can see that we have gone up against a team like Tottenham and dealt with them well. I thought we minimised them.
    "Obviously they would have some chances and they were very good on the break, but I think it was on the break...for us to control as much possession as we did and create that many chances, I think we have got to give ourselves a pat on the back."
    Blackburn were undone by two goals from Rafael van der Vaart, who opened the scoring in the 15th minute by slotting the ball past Paul Robinson after Kyle Walker had outpaced Gael Givet to lay on the assist.
    Rovers levelled through Mauro Formica's fierce strike just before the half-hour mark, but Van der Vaart produced a curling effort from outside the box to restore Tottenham's lead eight minutes into the second half, the Dutchman taking advantage when Benoit Assou-Ekotto's attempted pass ricocheted off Simon Vukcevic towards him.
    Blackburn pressed Spurs in search of a second equaliser but substitute Ayegbeni Yakubu was unable to apply a finishing touch to the chances that came his way.
    Kean felt his team might have come away with all three points and is confident that if they keep playing to a similar standard, their fortunes will change.
    He added: "The lads were devastated because when you have given everything like that and you don't get anything, never mind a point...
    "I told them you have got to put it into context. I went through the battles in the areas of the pitch in which I felt we dominated.
    "Sometimes it just doesn't fall for you. But you have just got to keep getting in there and it ricochets off someone, like it did for them."

Uploads

Adel Taarabt: 'Paris makes me dream'
    ADEL TAARABT EXPECTS NEW PSG BID

QPR playmaker Adel Taarabt has claimed that Paris Saint Germain will make another attempt to sign him in January.
    The maverick Morocco international was targeted by the Ligue 1 club over the summer only for the proposed move to break down.
    Taarabt claims that the concerns of PSG sporting director Leonardo over his temperament led to the planned switch falling through and fears the same issue could arise in the winter window.
    The 22-year-old feels he is still wanted by the French outfit's wealthy owners, the Qatar Investment Authority, but accepts the former AC Milan and Inter Milan boss may have the final say.
    Taarabt told Canal+: "He (Leonardo) called Flavio Briatore, but the first thing he said was: 'OK, but there is Adel's temper...'
    "Flavio just replied: 'It is up to you to know how to manage it. We could manage it last season he helped us back into the Premier League.'
    "That is just an excuse from Leonardo not to sign me because he had other priorities. He preferred (Jeremy) Menez, (Javier) Pastore and even wanted Ganso.
    "The Qatar officials told me 'Do another great six months and in January we will be back'.
    "However, I am under no illusion. I know I am not Leonardo's priority."
    Taarabt admits his head has been turned by the possibility of leaving Loftus Road for the French capital, but hinted that some parts of the fixture list were less than enthralling.
    "Paris makes me dream, but there are only four big matches to play against Marseille, Lyon, Lille and maybe Rennes," he added.
    "Without being disrespectful, playing at Evian or Dijon would not be very exciting."

Uploads

Sise: Out to win contract
    RANGERS HAND TRIAL TO SWEDE STRIKER

Rangers have taken Sweden striker Joe Sise on trial at Murray Park.
    The Gambian-born forward, 21, is out of contract with Halmstads BK and has also been linked with German side Hansa Rostock.
    Rangers boss Ally McCoist is set to have a look at the player with a view to him making a switch to the Scottish champions.

Uploads

Sven-Goran Eriksson: Leicester exit
    REPORT: LEICESTER SACK ERIKSSON

Sven-Goran Eriksson has been sacked as manager of Leicester, Sky Sports sources understand.
    A meeting was held with the club's Thai owners for several hours on Monday and it was decided to part company with the former England boss.
    Eriksson's last match in charge was the 3-0 defeat to Millwall at the weekend which left Leicester in 13th position in the Championship, but just two points off the play-offs.
    Leicester's owners, King Power, are understood to be unhappy with the return on a 10million summer spending spree as they target a return to the Premier League.
    And as a result they have dismissed Eriksson, who only took charge on a two-year contract in October 2010.
    Former Leicester boss Martin O'Neill will be installed as a favourite to take charge at King Power Stadium, having left a successful first spell at the club in 2000.
    The sacking at Leicester is a latest setback in English club football for Eriksson after parting company with Manchester City in 2008 and a bizarre spell at Nott County.

Uploads

Eddie Howe: Support from Charlie Austin
    AUSTIN: BURNLEY PLAYERS BACK HOWE

Burnley striker Charlie Austin insists manager Eddie Howe has the full backing of his players.
    Austin, who Howe signed from Swindon in January, came off the bench to net the winner in stoppage time against Coventry on Saturday.
    The 22-year-old's eighth goal of the season sparked jubilant scenes in the Clarets dugout, where Howe and assistant Jason Tindall were mobbed by their team, and Austin believes the celebrations show the togetherness within the squad.
    "It went in and the celebrations for the goal at the end shows how close a team we are," he told Burnley Express.
    "We are only a small squad but we're a really tight-knit team. On Tuesday (against Barnsley) we were below par, the manager knows that and we knew that, but here, in the second half especially, we showed what we are capable of.
    "The goal celebrations showed that we are fully behind the manager."

Uploads

Stephen Hughes: Training with Motherwell
    HUGHES TRAINING WITH MOTHERWELL

Midfielder Stephen Hughes is in training with former club Motherwell in a bid to keep fit after leaving Norwich, the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club have confirmed.
    Former Rangers and Leicester midfielder Hughes, who has one cap for Scotland, played for the Steelmen between 2007 and 2009 before leaving for Carrow Road.
    The 28-year-old endured a lengthy spell out with an ankle injury as Norwich won promotion to the Barclays Premier League and has been without a club since August.
    Hughes told Motherwell TV: "At the moment, I am just in training and I'll see where things take me.
    "I am dying to get going again and play somewhere. I missed a lot of football last season and that was off the back of playing regularly for both Motherwell and Norwich so I am itching to get back into games.
    "Where that is, I am not too sure. It could be anywhere."

Uploads

Jaime Peters: Staying at Bournemouth
    PETERS EXTENDS BOURNEMOUTH STAY

Ipswich winger Jaime Peters will remain at Bournemouth for another month after extending his loan spell.
    The Canada international has made six appearances for the Cherries since joining on an initial month-long deal at the end of September.
    Town boss Paul Jewell told the club's official website: "Jaime is playing games and that's why he's gone to Bournemouth.
    "He's happy to stay there and we're happy for him to stay."