Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 25-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-10-11

Michel Platini: ' will see what we can do'
    PLATINI HOPES TO CURB BIG SPENDERS

Michel Platini says UEFA will "see what we can do" to curb excessive spending among Europe's top clubs.
    Manchester City and Paris St Germain have been carried to the summit of the Premier League and Ligue 1 respectively on the back of the vast wealth of their owners.
    City's 6-1 derby win over Manchester United on Sunday took them five points clear of their city rivals, and came courtesy of two goals apiece from Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko and one each from Sergio Aguero and the inspirational David Silva - the reported fees paid for the quartet total around 115million.
    PSG, under new owners Qatar Sports, launched a summer spree which saw players such as midfield stars Javier Pastore and Jeremy Menez and Uruguay captain Diego Lugano arrive at the Parc des Princes, along with former AC Milan and Inter Milan coach Leonardo as sporting director.
    They top the table by three points after 11 games of the Ligue 1 season, with Pastore having scored five goals in nine games and Kevin Gameiro - a big-money arrival from Lorient shortly before the takeover - eight in 11.
    Such financial largesse risks falling foul of UEFA's new Financial Fair play regulations, which require clubs to only spend what they earn.
    And Platini told French broadcaster RTL: "The philosophy is that you cannot spend more money than you generate.
    "It is not just PSG at the top of the French league. You also have Manchester City at the top of the English league with their Arab owners. If you set the rules for everyone, they have to apply for specific clubs.
    "We are in the process of studying the accounts, and we will see what we can do."
    Former England midfielder David Beckham was another name linked with ambitious PSG over the summer and is widely expected to arrive this winter after his Los Angeles Galaxy contract expires.
    Platini continued: "I'm not worried about that. I think it will be good for the shops.
    "For football, at 36? I like David Beckham a lot. I think he has been a good footballer, but he is no longer the player he was so if he comes it will be for other reasons aside from football."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-10-11

Steven Gerrard: Backs Harry Redknapp
    REDKNAPP BACKED BY GERRARD

Steven Gerrard believes Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has proved himself a worthy candidate to succeed Fabio Capello as England manager next year.
    Capello will step down from the post after Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine , having taken the helm in 2008.
    Three Lions midfielder Gerrard believes the Football Association should appoint an English manager in his place, with Redknapp already tipped as a favourite for the role.
    And the Liverpool captain believes the Spurs boss, as well as "two or three" other English candidates, would be a good fit.
    "There are very good English managers out there," Gerrard told Sky Sports News.
    "Harry Redknapp's name crops up a lot and he's done an unbelievable job. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for what he's done at Tottenham.
    "There's also maybe two or three other candidates along with Harry.
    "I don't see why we should have to look abroad if the English managers are good enough to do it, which I believe they are.
    "But, for me, it's always the case of picking the best manager that can bring success for the country."
    Gerrard is hoping England can give Capello a good send-off by doing well at the Euros after a woeful World Cup campaign last summer.
    "I've enjoyed working with Fabio since he's been here," he said.
    "If I'm selected to go in the summer my attitude will be to give everything for the manager knowing that it is his last tournament.
    "They'll be nothing better than to send him away with a smile on his face and have a successful tournament."
    He added: "For the players and the staff at this level you've always got to treat a tournament like it is your last one because you never know if you're going to be involved two years or four years down the line.
    "As far as your performances go you've got to try and leave everything out there and give everything you've got."
    The Reds skipper hopes the mix of youth and experience in Capello's squad will stand them in good stead for the tournament.
    He said: "There's a fine blend of young, exciting players coming through and there's still some good old ones about as well so hopefully we've got the right balance in the squad going into the summer tournament."

Uploads

Sven-Goran Eriksson: Former Leicester manager
    ERIKSSON DISAPPOINTED TO LEAVE FOXES

Sven-Goran Eriksson insists he would have guided Leicester to promotion to the Barclays Premier League this season if he had been given time.
    The former England head coach was shown the door by the Foxes last night after a year in charge.
    Leicester have won just five games this season and were beaten 3-0 at home by struggling Millwall on Saturday, but they are still only two points adrift of the play-offs.
    However, the club's Thailand-based owners lost patience after funding a 10million spending spree over the summer.
    In a statement on the League Managers' Association website, Eriksson said: "I am disappointed to be leaving Leicester City Football Club.
    "It was always my aim to lead the club into the Barclays Premier League and I am very sorry that I won't be able to do that.
    "I have always thought, and still believe now, that the club will be promoted this season. The current squad is capable and ready to achieve promotion, but football is a results industry and unfortunately we couldn't quite get things right enough of the time.
    "Being the manager of Leicester City was an absolute pleasure and I wish everyone connected with the club the best of luck. Leicester City is a great club and I am certain that with the current owners in charge the club will go from strength to strength.
    "To the players, old, new, everyone in the squad, I would like to say thank you. You are a talented group and I am hopeful that you will achieve success very soon.
    "To the staff at the club, both at the stadium and the training ground - you treated me like a king and I shall miss working with you all.
    "Last but not least, to the fans, I want to say a huge thank you for your support. You are fantastic people and I will never forget the way you welcomed me into your club. I am just sorry that I won't be on the bench the day you reach the Premier League."
    Former Foxes manager Martin O'Neill is an early front-runner, with the bookmakers at least, to return to the club after 11 years.
    In the meantime academy director Jon Rudkin and coach Mike Stowell have been placed in temporary charge ahead of Saturday's trip to West Ham.
    Leicester and West Ham were installed as the pre-season favourites for promotion and the Hammers, who have also overhauled their squad under Sam Allardyce, moved up to second following last night's win at Brighton.
    Allardyce said: "It's a results-driven industry today, and results have to come quickly.
    "The problem with that is you go out and bring in players - I brought in 14 - and it's such a difficult job to produce results until you get to know the players and they get to know each other and you build up team spirit. The results take time.
    "But it looks as though the big decision was made after they lost 3-0 at home to Millwall. That's something, when you are not quite there, that you can ill afford to do today because the trigger-happy boys are always pulling the trigger in our industry now.
    "Generally every season, of the 92 league clubs, 50% or more lose their jobs in one season. That's the way it is and the only way to avoid it is to keep winning.
    "If you've got the bigger purse strings you are expected to get to the top of the league and Leicester have probably spent more than anyone else in this division this summer. That's probably why he's paid the price."

Uploads

Brede Hangeland: Wants Fulham contract talks
    HANGELAND EYES FULHAM STAY

Brede Hangeland has revealed a desire to commit his future to Fulham as he looks to pen a new deal in the near future.
    Manager Martin Jol disclosed negotiations with the Norwegian will open in December despite the defender having 18 months still remaining on his contract.
    Hangeland has made over 150 appearances since his move from FC Copenhagen in 2008, reportedly attracting attention from several top clubs, including Arsenal.
    But the 30-year-old insists he is happy at Craven Cottage and keen to affirm his allegiance to Fulham.
    "I'm keen to talk," Hangeland told the Fulham Chronicle.
    "There's been some speculation linking me with other clubs but I'm not sure how concrete it was.
    "I've really enjoyed my time at Fulham and loved every minute of it.
    "Maybe there's more to come.
    "I just want to keep doing the best I can for the club."

Uploads

Simon Poulsen: Linked with Aston Villa
    POULSEN IN DARK OVER VILLA TALK

AZ Alkmaar defender Simon Poulsen has denied knowledge of any interest from Aston Villa after being linked to the Premier League club.
    Speculation has surfaced that Villa are monitoring the Denmark international, who is out of contract at the end of the season.
    Poulsen, who was substituted in Sunday's 1-0 win over Roda JC with 10 minutes remaining after a below par display, is yet to decide whether he will extend his deal at current Eredivisie leaders AZ.
    But the 27-year-old, who can play at left-back or in midfield, insists he has not heard anything from Villa.
    "I still haven't made a decision," Poulsen told AD over the possibility of extending his AZ contract.
    "I also know nothing about Aston Villa's interest in me. I've only heard that from the media.
    "My agent will only notify me only if there is something concrete.
    "I haven't heard anything after last weekend. I did not play such a good game."
    Poulsen admits a move to Villa would be an attractive prospect, adding: "Aston Villa, what can I say? It's a beautiful club."

Uploads

Arouna Kone: Linked with Celtic switch
    KONE OPEN TO CELTIC TALKS

Levante striker Arouna Kone has confirmed he would hold talks with Celtic if they were interested in his services.
    The Ivory Coast forward has joined Levante on a season-long loan having slipped down Sevilla's pecking order.
    The former PSV Eindhoven man is closing in on his best form having scored twice, including a famous winner against Real Madrid.
    Kone has been delighted with his displays and he is looking for a strong second half of the season in order to win a new deal.
    The 27-year-old is aware of interest from SPL giants Celtic and he would discuss a Parkhead deal if the club were to make a move.
    "I'm delighted with my start to the season so far," he told skysports.com.
    "I'm returning to my best form and level. I really appreciate that.
    "My contract will finish at the end of the season so it is normal for clubs to show interest.
    "Celtic is a magnificent club. I'd be interested in talking to them if they want me to be honest.
    "At the moment I want to finish the year strongly and try to earn a new contract either with Sevilla or somewhere else like Levante."

Uploads

Hulk: 'I am only focused on Porto'
    HULK HAPPY AT PORTO

Porto forward Hulk has insisted he is not paying attention to speculation linking him with a move away from the club.
    The Brazilian is still grateful to Porto after being given the opportunity to play in European football following earlier spells in his homeland and Japan.
    He has developed into a world-class performer since coming to Portugal and was awarded a new five-year contract in the summer, while Porto also have a release clause in place of €100million (87m).
    Reports have nevertheless continued to suggest that he could soon be on his way elsewhere, with Inter Milan and a number of Premier League clubs understood to be interested.
    Hulk has no plans to leave, though, stressing that he is concentrating solely on repaying Porto for the faith they have shown in him.
    "I want to enter into the story of Porto," Hulk told reporters after receiving the Golden Dragon award for Footballer of the Year in Portugal.
    "For me this is the best club in my career and they gave me the confidence to jump to Europe.
    "I am very grateful to the club and now I do not think about the rumours of other clubs.
    "I am only focused on Porto."

Uploads

Greg Cunningham: Joins Forest on loan
    CUNNINGHAM JOINS FOREST ON LOAN

Nottingham Forest have signed Manchester City defender Greg Cunningham on loan until the end of the year.
    Boss Steve Cotterill moved for the 20-year-old left-back after Clint Hill was recalled from his loan spell by QPR.
    Cunningham joined City from Mervue United in his native Galway in 2007 and has made five substitute appearances, while he also had a spell on loan with Leicester last season.
    Cotterill told Forest's official website: "Left-backs are very difficult to come by and although he's only a young player I think he's got a good future ahead of him.
    "They have a big squad of players at City which allowed him to go out on loan and we're delighted to have him.
    "We had a vacancy at left-back and Greg is the perfect fit for us."

Uploads

John Guidetti: On loan at Feyenoord
    GUIDETTI FOCUSED ON THIS SEASON

Manchester City loanee John Guidetti insists he is not looking any further ahead than having a successful season with Feyenoord.
    The 19-year-old Swede is on a season-long loan deal in Rotterdam from City and is yet to make an appearance for his parent club.
    The striker insists he is focused on the Eredivisie side and not yet looking at his future beyond his loan spell at De Kuip.
    Asked if he would join Feyenoord on a longer deal when his current contract expires, he told NUSport: "No idea.
    "I never look too far ahead. Right now I'm only focused on this season at Feyenoord."
    Guidetti admits establishing himself as City's first-choice striker, as well as winning the World Cup and the Golden Ball award with Sweden, is his ultimate long-term dream.
    "I want Sweden to win the World Cup, the Golden Ball as best player and to be the first striker at Manchester City," he said.
    "I want it all as soon as possible. But you must live in the present.
    "And now my first goal is to have the best possible workout tomorrow. I don't look any further."
    Guidetti has not ruled out lifting the Eredivisie title with Feyenoord following a flying start to the season.
    Feyenoord drew 1-1 at reigning champions Ajax on Sunday to stay an early fourth in the table with 18 points from 10 games.
    Guidetti, who spent the Amsterdam ArenA clash on the bench due to illness, believes the club have the quality needed to raise the trophy.
    "Where we will finish this season remains to be seen, but I think it will be pretty high," he added.
    "Maybe we'll even be champions. Anything is possible. But first let us focus on placing in a European spot."

Uploads

Jody Morris: In temporary charge at St Johnstone
    MORRIS KEEN TO KEEP PLAYING

St Johnstone captain Jody Morris has confirmed he is keen to manage in the future but has no plans to retire from playing just yet.
    The midfielder, who will be 33 in December, and under-19 team coach Alec Cleland were in temporary charge for the goalless draw against Dundee United at the weekend following previous boss Derek McInnes' departure to Bristol City.
    Morris told Saints' official website: "I still thoroughly enjoy playing and I'm keen to do that for as long as possible.
    "I want stay in football beyond my playing career but for the moment I want to be out there on the pitch.
    "However, I'll continue to work with Alec for as long as is required until an appointment is made."
    Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook has been linked with the vacancy at McDiarmid Park.
    St Johnstone chairman Geoff Brown said: "The appointment may well reflect the fact that the circumstances of the club have changed since the appointments of Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes were made.
    "We were in the First Division then but now we are looking to bring someone into a club that is in the SPL and wishes to stay there.
    "There is no need to rush - it's not as if the wheels have come off. We will do what is best for St Johnstone."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast