Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-10-11

Uploads

Latest Transfer Update at 28-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-10-11

Billy Paynter: Loan move
    POYET PLEASED TO SIGN PAYNTER

Gus Poyet expects Billy Paynter to provide Brighton with a different option after finally signing the Leeds striker on loan until January.
    Paynter was wanted by Poyet before he joined Leeds in 2010 and the Brighton boss again tried to bring in the striker during the summer transfer window.
    Poyet has belatedly landed his man ahead of Saturday's Championship game at Birmingham and is looking forward to working with the 27-year-old.
    "We wanted him when he was leaving Swindon, but we lost out to Leeds, which was understandable as they were in the Championship and we were in League One," Poyet told the club's official website.
    "We wanted him in the summer, but we couldn't get him for whatever reason, but now finally we have got him.
    "I expect him to come in and help us by giving us an option we don't have. We wanted somebody who was different to what we have here already, and Billy is the one we like.
    "We have him until January and it gives us the opportunity to have a look at him for a few weeks; and for him to have a look at us too."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-10-11

David Silva: Not looking to leave Manchester City
    SILVA WOULD SNUB BARCA AND REAL

David Silva insists he would ignore any approaches from Barcelona or Real Madrid in order to repay the faith of Manchester City.
    Roberto Mancini paid 26million to Valencia for the Spaniard in the summer of 2010 and after taking a season to settle into life in England the playmaker is more than justifying his price tag.
    Silva has been the star of City's charge to the top of the Premier League table and was instrumental in dismantling Manchester United in last weekend's famous derby victory at Old Trafford.
    The 25-year-old's form has led to suggestions Real and Barcelona will want to sign him and his head could be turned by the possibility of returning to Spain, where his international prospects could be boosted.
    But Silva is quoted as saying in The Sun: "City believed in me and I'm very well here.
    "Real Madrid and Barcelona are definitely two great clubs, but I hope to stay in Manchester for many years."

Uploads

Robinson: Not a fan of the Elite Player Performance Plan
    ROBINSON BLASTS 'LACK OF RESPECT'

MK Dons manager Karl Robinson says the introduction of the Elite Player Performance Plan shows a lack of respect for Football League clubs.
    The controversial new system was agreed last week after Premier League outfits threatened to withdraw their current support for the Football League's youth programme.
    Clubs are now guaranteed more funding for their youth system over four years but they are set to receive less money if players under the age of 17 depart for a new team.
    That is because the transfer tribunal system will be replaced by a fixed level of compensation to make multi-million pound deals for promising youngsters a thing of the past.
    Dons' 14-year-old prospect Seyi Ojo has been linked with a 2million switch to Chelsea and Robinson is concerned that clubs will not now be adequately compensated for focusing on youth.
    "I am disappointed with this new ruling that means we're probably going to lose an awful lot of players," he told Sky Sports.
    "I think it lacks respect for the Football League clubs.
    "The Premier League is one of the biggest leagues in the world and we respect them immensely.
    "I just don't think it's very fair on clubs that are working to hard to produce players that we can lose them for such a small price.
    "We sold Sam Baldock (to West Ham) for over 2million and we rely on that income to survive.
    "It's happened now (the introduction of the EPPP) and we've got to find a way round it and still keep the young players at this football club."
    Robinson is certain the Dons will continue with their successful youth set-up and he is full of praise for the work chairman Pete Winkelman has done to develop young players.
    "We always will because we believe in it," he said when asked if MK will continue to give chances to promising youngsters.
    "The chairman is a great chairman to work for and he believes that is the sole aim of the football club to produce players for the first-team."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Support from PFA
    CARLOS TEVEZ FINE REDUCED

Manchester City have halved Carlos Tevez's fine for misconduct to two weeks' wages following intervention from the Professional Footballers' Association.
    The players' union refused to sanction City's four-week fine - thought to be around 800,000 - after backing Tevez's claims that he did not refuse to play against Bayern Munich last month.
    The union must ratify the decision of any club to impose a fine of more than two weeks' wages.
    Yet while accepting the PFA decision, which cannot be contested, City have accused the union of a conflict of interests because Tevez was represented at his disciplinary hearing by their chief executive Gordon Taylor.
    A City statement read: "The club acknowledges that the players' union is the sole organisation empowered with granting the ability for clubs to levy fines greater than the two weeks provided for in player contracts.
    "However, Manchester City is disappointed by the apparent PFA conflict of interest evident in this process.
    "Carlos Tevez has been personally represented throughout by the PFA chief executive, on whose considerations the club has been informed that the PFA has made its decision.
    "Manchester City has been in constant dialogue with the PFA since September 28.
    "Today's PFA decision is a departure from the club's understanding of that dialogue.
    "Without recourse to the PFA decision available, the maximum two-week fine provided for in standard player contracts will now be applied in relation to the misconduct of Carlos Tevez."
    It is understood, however, that this latest development will not prevent City from continuing to take a hard line over the matter.
    The club remain in no doubt that Tevez refused to play at the Allianz Arena - one of five breaches of contract - and will not back down if, as expected, the Argentinian appeals.
    Yet Tevez has contended throughout that he only refused to warm up and the public support of the PFA for his stance is understood to have been warmly welcomed.
    The PFA's statement read: "Gordon Taylor attended the hearing with Carlos Tevez on October 21 and was privy to all the evidence presented to the hearing and Carlos' response.
    "The PFA's opinion, based on all the evidence presented, is that Carlos Tevez never refused to play for the club.
    "This is accepted by the club in that the charge against Carlos made at the hearing was not one of refusing to play.
    "As such the PFA considers that there is no justification for a fine other than up to the prescribed sanction of two weeks' wages agreed by the FA, the Premier League and PFA.
    "The PFA has informed the Manchester City Football Club accordingly and Carlos will continue to be supported by the PFA in this regard."
    The PFA's statement supports his belief that City's judgement - published on their website on Tuesday - bears no resemblance to reasons he was given for being guilty of misconduct.
    Taylor said: "If he had refused to play that would have been the charge and that would be gross misconduct.
    "The charge was momentarily refusing to resume warming up. He never refused to play. He was desperate to play.
    "They are trying to portray he refused to play, which is serious and why he was vilified.
    "No evidence that they presented suggested that.
    "If the evidence was strong and irrefutable, that's gross misconduct, as serious as it gets and could be a termination of contract.
    "That's not the case. The evidence doesn't suggest that and that's why the charge was not of gross misconduct."
    Tevez has until November 8 to formally announce whether he intends to appeal.
    Should he do so, a hearing will be scheduled with City's board of directors. If another ruling goes against him he can appeal again to the Premier League.
    If this process is explored in full the saga could run on into December.
    It is also understood Tevez is considering suing manager Roberto Mancini for defamation of character over his immediate post-match comments accusing him of refusing to play.
    Tevez is theoretically eligible for selection amid this furore but in practice he is likely to remain an isolated figure.
    The former West Ham and Manchester United player has been training alone since returning from a suspension while the initial investigation into the affair was conducted a fortnight ago.

Uploads

David Stockdale: On loan at Ipswich
    JOL RULES OUT STOCKDALE SALE

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists loaned out goalkeeper David Stockdale is not for sale.
    Stockdale is currently on a season-long loan at Ipswich after finding himself down the pecking order at Craven Cottage.
    The 26-year-old has admitted he would be open to a permanent move to Portman Road with Ipswich thought to be keen on keeping hold of the keeper.
    However, Jol insists the former Darlington shot-stopper is going nowhere as he remains part of his long-term plans.
    "He's part of our plans, but I've got another great goalkeeper who's one of the best," Jol told the Fulham Chronicle.
    "He's our player. We identified him and took him, so hopefully everybody's happy in the future."
    Jol also revealed the club plan to discuss a new deal for Czech Republic defender Zdenek Grygera.
    Grygera joined Fulham on a one-year deal when he arrived on a free transfer in the summer and the club are ready to offer the experienced stopper an extension.
    "We've had an agreement with him that if he is playing well then we will sit down," added Jol. "It's risky as he could go to another club."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Fine reduced
    FERGUSON: RULE IS 'A BIT CRAZY'

Sir Alex Ferguson has described the rule which forced Manchester City to halve the fine they handed to Carlos Tevez as "a bit crazy".
    But the Manchester United manager insisted the rules agreed by the Premier League, FA and PFA state that clubs could only fine players two weeks' wages - and that there was nothing City could do about it.
    City had to cut Tevez's fine to two weeks' wages after the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) refused to support a four-week penalty for the striker refusing to play.
    The club have since claimed the PFA have a "conflict of interest" in both representing Tevez and then being in a position to rule on the sanction he faces.
    Ferguson said: "I think it is a bit strange of course but the regulations are there. It is a fact that the maximum fine you can give a player is two weeks' [wages].
    "It seems a bit crazy in that particular situation but it's there and there's nothing you can do about it."
    The Argentina striker was found guilty of five breaches of contract by City, including a refusal to play.
    The PFA stated they believe Tevez "never refused to play for the club" and that there was "no justification for a fine other than up to the prescribed sanction of two weeks' wages agreed by the FA, the Premier League and PFA".
    Two weeks' wages in Tevez's case is thought to be around 400,000.
    PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor this morning defended his and the PFA's position, following City's conflict of interest claim.
    Taylor told BBC Radio Five Live: "It's not a conflict of interest at all.
    "It's just merely pointing out what the law is, what the law says, and what the code of practice says."
    Taylor explained: "It's like a QC having to tell the judge that in accordance with the law you've got it wrong."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: The saga continues
    MANCINI MAINTAINS TEVEZ SILENCE

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini again would not answer questions on the ongoing situation involving striker Carlos Tevez on Friday morning.
    Mancini, who has not spoken significantly on the matter since accusing Tevez of refusing to play at Bayern Munich on September 27, addressed the media this morning to preview Saturday's game against Wolves.
    But, as has become customary at City in recent weeks, Mancini's press conference was preceded by a warning to reporters from a club official that the subject was off the agenda.
    City consider the matter closed in that they have found Tevez guilty of misconduct and issued a fine, but they anticipate an appeal from the player.
    City concluded after a lengthy investigation that Tevez had committed five breaches of contract in relation to his conduct on the bench for the Champions League game at the Allianz Arena.
    One of those included a refusal to play following claims from Mancini immediately after the match that the Argentinian did not want to come on as a second-half substitute.
    Tevez, however, has contended throughout that he only refused to warm up and blamed a misunderstanding for the fiasco.
    The Professional Footballers' Association have backed the 27-year-old's stance and refused to sanction a fine above the maximum two weeks' wages the club are permitted to impose without their ratification.
    City had intended to fine Tevez four weeks' wages - thought to be around 800,000 - but have now halved that following the PFA's intervention.
    The PFA have also said the reasons given for Tevez's guilty verdict - published on the club's website on Tuesday - do not relate to a charge read at the player's disciplinary hearing of failing to resume warming up.
    A statement read: "The PFA's opinion, based on all the evidence presented, is that Carlos Tevez never refused to play for the club.
    "This is accepted by the club in that the charge against Carlos made at the hearing was not one of refusing to play."
    City, however, are understood to remain unmoved in their assertion that Tevez refused to play.
    Mancini, however, did confirm this morning that defender Kolo Toure will face an internal disciplinary hearing next week over his failed drugs test.
    The Ivory Coast international served a six-month suspension after testing positive for a banned substance earlier this year.
    Unlike Tevez, who has been training apart from the first team and not featured in Mancini's plans amid the furore, Toure will remain in contention for selection.
    Mancini said: "I think Kolo is a different situation. It was a mistake - a totally different situation.
    "In the other case I think that every player should have good behaviour, always."
    When asked whether Toure was facing a disciplinary hearing, Mancini said: "I think so, yes."
    City are understood to resent any suggestions there is anything sinister in the timing of the hearing.
    Much of Toure's ban, which expired last month, was served during the summer and the player was not even allowed back on club premises at the start of the season.
    Although the 30-year-old has been free to play again since September 2, it has taken time for legal teams to find an appropriate date.

Uploads

Razak: Will spend a month a Pompey
    RAZAK HEADS TO POMPEY ON LOAN

Manchester City midfielder Abdul Razak has joined npower Championship club Portsmouth on a month's loan.
    The 18-year-old is available for Pompey's clash at Derby, four days after he played 85 minutes of the Barclays Premier League leaders' victory over Wolves in the Carling Cup.
    The teenager joined City from Crystal Palace in the summer of 2010 and made his debut as a substitute in a victory over West Brom in February.
    Pompey co-caretaker manager Guy Whittingham said: "It's a great opportunity for him to come here and get some experience and we're looking forward to him being part of the squad."
    City boss Roberto Mancini said: "He's a talented footballer and a very good young man. I believe he has the ability to become a very important player for Manchester City."

Uploads

Brian McDermott: Plays down Leicester talk
    McDERMOTT: NO CONTACT FROM FOXES

Reading manager Brian McDermott has dismissed reports linking him with the vacant managerial post at Leicester.
    McDermott, who has led his side on a seven-match unbeaten streak in the npower Championship and who took the Royals to the play-off final last season, has been rumoured to be a target for the Foxes after they sacked Sven-Goran Eriksson on Monday.
    But the Reading boss rubbished the suggestions, saying he is totally focused on his work at the Madejski Stadium.
    "They haven't rung me," he told the Reading Post.
    "I've been here 11 years now and until someone tells me anything different, this is where I am.
    "What I find strange, though, is that they got rid of Sven and I thought that his replacement would be done and dusted."

Uploads

Ally McCoist: Waits to make Sise decision
    McCOIST WILL NOT RUSH TO JUDGE SISE

Rangers manager Ally McCoist will wait at least until next week before making a decision on trialist Joe Sise.
    The Swedish striker, 21, is out of contract with Halmstad and has been training with the Scottish champions.
    But McCoist is keen to see him in match action before deciding whether to offer the player a contract.
    He said: "He's looked fine. He has been training for a couple of days and hopefully we'll get a practice game at the beginning of next week.
    "With a bit of luck Joe will be able to play in that. I've had a look at him over the last couple of days and he looks fine and he knows where the goal is.
    "But we would like to see him in a game and hopefully he can play in a game at the start of next week."
    McCoist is hoping for an update later today on contract talks with Kyle Lafferty.
    The Rangers boss wants to secure the Northern Irishman on a new deal and the striker's agent has had discussions with owner Craig Whyte.
    McCoist said: "I know Craig spoke to Kyle's agent yesterday and I haven't had the chance to speak to Craig or Kyle today.
    "I'll maybe have a chat with Kyle on the bus [to Aberdeen] and I know I'll speak to Craig later today.
    "Hopefully there won't be too many problems."
    Meanwhile, McCoist refused to be drawn on speculation about Rangers going into administration.
    He said: "I don't think about that at all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast