Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 31-10-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 31-10-11

Latest Transfer Update at 31-10-11

Gerrard: Suffered the injury in training last week
    NEW INJURY BLOW FOR STEVEN GERRARD

Liverpool expect to discover the results of the treatment Steven Gerrard had on an ankle infection over the weekend within the next couple of days but are keeping an open mind over the extent of the problem.
    The Reds captain missed Saturday's 2-0 win at West Brom as, after initially travelling to the midlands on Friday with the rest of the squad, he was not fit enough to play in the evening kick-off the following day.
    Gerrard is believed to have picked up a knock in training which subsequently became infected and required medical intervention at a Liverpool hospital on Sunday.
    Photographs showing the England midfielder on crutches with what appears to be a knee-high cast or heavy strapping on his right leg raised fears the 31-year-old could be set for a long lay-off.
    The club will not comment on Gerrard's fitness but Press Association Sport understands there will be no prognosis on the problem or definitive decision on what treatment he will undergo until at least tomorrow and possibly later in the week, when the medical team at Melwood have had a chance to fully assess the player.
    Any time on the sidelines would be a blow to Gerrard and Liverpool as the player has only just returned to action after six months out.
    Gerrard had an operation on a long-term groin problem in March and his comeback from that was delayed by a because of an infection.
    He finally made his return in the second half of Liverpool's Carling Cup victory at Brighton on September 21 and, after two further substitute appearances, started his first match since March 6 in the draw with Manchester United just over a fortnight ago.
    His latest injury set-back, however, could put his participation in England's friendlies against Spain and Sweden on November 12 and 15 at Wembley in doubt.
    He missed this month's final Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro as he had played less than an hour's football in the current season and so was not selected by England coach Fabio Capello.
    The coming international break could give him time to recover for a tough spell for his club towards the end of the month when they travel to Chelsea twice - once in the Carling Cup quarter-final - and host Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester City.
    But Dalglish, as he said at the weekend, will not know for a day or two.
    "Will he be fit for England? I haven't got a clue," he said at The Hawthorns.
    "It's nothing to do with any injuries before, it's an infection.
    "We will be back in Monday or Tuesday so we can be more accurate."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 31-10-11

Diouf: Three month Doncaster deal
    EL HADJI DIOUF JOINS DONCASTER

Doncaster have completed the signing of former Bolton and Liverpool forward El Hadji Diouf on a three-month contract.
    The 30-year-old Senegal international has been without a club since he was released by Blackburn at the end of last season.
    A two-time African Footballer of the Year, Diouf was a 10million arrival at Anfield in 2002 after playing a starring role in Senegal's successful World Cup campaign that summer.
    Often a controversial figure during his time in British football, Diouf has also played for Sunderland in the Barclays Premier League and helped Rangers to the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title during a loan spell north of the border last term.
    Diouf's arrival at the Keepmoat Stadium will go some way to addressing the striker problems currently testing boss Dean Saunders.
    Goalscorer James Hayter was the only established centre-forward in the squad for the 1-1 draw with Coventry on Saturday as Billy Clark missed out due to family issues.
    Fellow striker Chris Brown has only recently resumed light training following a knee injury and Jon Parkin returned to Cardiff at the end of his loan period in Yorkshire.

Uploads

Rafael: Training for over a week
    RAFAEL READY TO STEP UP COMEBACK

Manchester United's full-back Rafael could take a significant step towards a return to the first team this week.
    United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will consider playing the 21-year-old Brazilian in the reserves against Everton on Thursday.
    Rafael has been out since August, when he had surgery on a shoulder injury.
    Ferguson said: "Rafael has been training for over a week. It was a big operation on his shoulder and we hope we can maybe fit a game in for him - maybe the next reserve game.
    "He's coming along fine, there has been no setback and he has been training every day."
    Rafael's return could prove timely, with Chris Smalling having been ruled out for a month with a fractured foot.

Uploads

Eden Hazard: Highly-rated by Europe's elite
    EDEN HAZARD TO LEAVE LILLE

Lille midfielder Eden Hazard has revealed his desire to move abroad at the end of the season.
    The highly-rated 20-year-old Belgium international is contracted to Lille until 2015, but told L'Equipe: "I feel ready to make it to the next level at a big club.
    "I stayed in Lille this season because there were still things I had to work on, things to prove. But now, I'm ready."
    Hazard has been linked with a move to Lille's big-spending Ligue 1 rivals Paris St Germain, but looks more likely to attract the attention of the likes of Real Madrid, Arsenal and Manchester United.
    "Paris is not for now," he added. "Paris is magical, as they say. Of course it attracts me, but for now, no. In France I do not want to build a rival club to Lille.
    "After France, I want to go abroad."

Uploads

Houston: Backed by club's board
    HOUSTON, WE HAVE NO PROBLEM

Dundee United's board have declared their "unequivocal support" for Peter Houston after reports the manager could face the sack.
    Houston was due to meet Stephen Thompson following United's 4-1 victory over Dunfermline after the chairman cut short a holiday to discuss the club's disappointing start to the campaign.
    Houston publicly defended his record and highlighted the squad and budget constraints facing him in the wake of the reports, which followed a Scottish Communities League Cup defeat by Falkirk on Tuesday.
    Houston wanted Thompson to come out and back him and he got his wish as United issued a statement attempting to put the uncertainty behind them.
    The statement read: "The chairman and board of directors of Dundee United Football Club would like to confirm its unanimous and unequivocal support of Peter Houston as manager.
    "After the recent media attention regarding the manager's position at the club, it was felt a statement needed to be issued to put an end to the rumour and speculation.
    "The team is going through a transition this season and as such performances will be inconsistent but everyone is united in the aim of moving the club forward and our wish is to now focus on doing so and we would hope this confirmation will end all media speculation on this subject."
    Houston admitted after the East End Park win, United's third in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League this season, that he was seeking clarification over the source of the reports.
    "I'm accountable to the board and results should be better," he said. "I'll go in with a sensible attitude, I'm 53 years of age, not some silly wee boy, but I want to know where all this came from.
    "I'm not sure if I've been undermined. You can ask a question and you've got to believe the answer unless you have proof and, if I don't have proof, then I'll just have to get on with it.
    "I never said I am the second-best manager at United after Jim McLean. I'm not like that and Craig Levein is a far better manager than me, but the fact is my stats are better than his. If I'm called into question, the fact is I've done all right."
    Houston admits inconsistency may be a problem for a team which finished their clash with Dunfermline with nine outfield players under the age of 21, but is confident of improved results.
    "We have a squad, if everybody's fit, that is capable of beating any team in this league apart from the Old Firm," he added.
    "I still think it is the same. When you have a small squad, you have to have a lot of the squad who are fit.
    "They won't play well every week, they are inconsistent, but I thought they should be proud of themselves that they put up such a good performance against a difficult side.
    "Yes, we would have more results in the bag and more points on the table, but we took our chances. The three points were magnificent and were big for us. It's not about Peter Houston. It is about getting points on the board that matters."

Uploads

Ivica Olic: Frustrated on the Bayern bench
    OLIC DESPERATE FOR MORE PLAYING TIME

Bayern Munich striker Ivica Olic has revealed he is looking for a move away from the Bundesliga club if does not get more match action.
    The 32-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season, but according to Munich newspaper TZ, he has received several offers from clubs in his native Croatia.
    Olic has only made five appearances from the bench this season for the league leaders and is becoming increasingly frustrated with his lack of game time.
    "I want to play more," the striker told www.tz.de. "I will still have two years of fun.
    "I'm not the guy who comes in only in the final minutes. That is not enough for me.
    "I am a central striker. Outside is not my position but the coach sees me more just on the outside. It's not good for long."

Uploads

Morten Olsen: Signs new contract
    OLSEN SIGNS NEW DENMARK DEAL

Denmark coach Morten Olsen has signed a new contract to remain in charge of the team until after the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil.
    Last November, Olsen stated he would not renew his contract which expired at the end of next year's European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.
    However, the former Denmark international has now reassessed his decision and admitted he had been swayed by calls of support from senior players.
    "My decision to stop after the European Championships next summer, was the right thing at the moment," Olsen told dbu.dk.
    "We had embarked on a new chapter for the national team after the World Cup finals.
    "No-one is above the team and therefore I made a decision I felt was right for the national team at that time.
    "But I want to stress that under no circumstances was it due to a lack of motivation.
    "During the summer I got calls from both established and newer players in the team, who asked me to reconsider.
    "It was a necessary support from the players to both me as coach and to our common project.
    "It gave me a good feeling that together we were doing something really good in the national team."
    Danish Football Association general secretary Jim Hansen was pleased Olsen, who has been in the post for 11 years, had reconsidered.
    "I have never concealed the fact that Morten Olsen is the most qualified coach," Hansen said.
    "It is therefore extremely satisfactory that Morten has come back to us with a clear desire to continue his work."