Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 01-11-11

Naismith: Ruled out for the season
    NAISMITH OUT OF RANGERS' SEASON

Steven Naismith has been ruled out for the rest of the season with anterior cruciate ligament damage, Rangers have confirmed.
    The midfielder underwent scans on his right knee on Monday and has been told he faces eight to nine months on the sidelines.
    Naismith, who has netted nine goals for the Scottish champions this term, suffered the injury during Saturday's 2-1 win over Aberdeen in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    Naismith appeared to twist his knee while challenging Rob Milsom during Saturday's clash at Pittodrie.
    He attempted to play on but collapsed to the turf with no-one near him moments later.
    The 25-year-old sustained a similar injury to his left knee in 2008 and was out for eight months.
    A statement from Rangers read: "Scans have confirmed Steven Naismith sustained an anterior cruciate ligament injury to his right knee during Saturday's game against Aberdeen at Pittodrie and he will sadly miss the rest of the season.
    "Steven will be seen by the same surgeon who successfully treated him in 2008 and his rehabilitation programme will be 8-9 months."
    Manager Ally McCoist backed Naismith to come back from the latest injury in the same way he did last time.
    He told www.rangers.co.uk: "This is devastating news for Steven and our thoughts are with him.
    "He was in the form of his life and it is a huge blow for him and the club that he is out for the rest of the season.
    "He will get the best treatment possible in the weeks and months ahead and everyone at Rangers Football Club will support him during his rehabilitation period.
    "Naisy has recovered from a serious knee injury before and he will come back again. He is a fighter and a popular member of the squad and we will all work hard to win games for him while he is out."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-11-11

Dave Whelan: Promising never to sack Roberto Martinez
    WHELAN WILL NOT SACK MARTINEZ

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has reassured Roberto Martinez his job is safe despite dropping to the bottom of the table.
    The Latics have lost their last seven Premier League games in a shocking run of form to slump to the basement.
    Despite the bad results, Whelan insists he will not consider axing Martinez and he has backed the Spaniard to guide them to safety.
    "Roberto's position is never, ever in question. We stay together," insisted Whelan.
    "I respect him, and I know I'm going to get 110 per cent from Roberto every time the team takes the field. Things are going against us but we have to keep battling on.
    "My spirits are never down. We may be at the foot of the table right now, but we won't be at the end of the season."
    "We can get out of this mess together. We're not fools, we can look at the table and we really have to rally round and do what we do best."

Uploads

Abou Diaby: Facing further three weeks out
    ABOU DIABY SUFFERS NEW SETBACK

Arsenal midfielder Abou Diaby has suffered an injury setback in his bid to return to action.
    The Frenchman has yet to feature for Arsenal this term after undergoing ankle surgery in pre-season.
    Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was hoping to have Diaby back in November, but the 25-year-old has now picked up a hamstring problem to delay his comeback for a further three weeks.
    "You won't see him [Diaby] for a while, the next three weeks," said Wenger. "He will not play for France either.
    "I am worried but I was more worried three months ago. His ankle was not good but the surgery went very well then.
    "Now his balance has changed so he has to adjust his muscular strength. He has had two small muscular concerns and if he can get rid of them in the next two to three weeks he will be ready.
    "It's a good time to get him right as we have a two-week break after Saturday."

Uploads

Michael Uchebo: Reportedly set for talks in England
    UCHEBO A TARGET FOR STOKE - VVV

VVV-Venlo striker Michael Uchebo is being targeted by Stoke, according to the Eredivisie club.
    VVV sporting director Mario Captein claims the 21-year-old will go to England for talks in the next fortnight - if the requisite paperwork can be arranged.
    He told Voetbal International: "They want to talk to Michael. You should see it as a sort of interview.
    "You always want to talk to a player before you agree to sign them. It shows at least that Stoke's interest is very serious."
    As for when he will visit the Potteries, Captein added: "Next week there are no matches in the Eredivisie (due to the Euro 2012 play-offs) so that would be a good time.
    Nigeria Under-20 international Uchebo, who at 6ft 5in would fit in with Stoke's direct style, joined VVV in 2010 from Enugu Rangers in his homeland. He is out of contract next summer.

Uploads

Harper: The longer the better at Brighton
    HARPER WANTS BRIGHTON EXTENSION

Steve Harper wants to stay at Brighton beyond the end of his current loan deal.
    Harper is due to return to Newcastle after a trip to Southampton on November 19, but the veteran goalkeeper is enjoying his first-team involvement at Albion.
    The 36-year-old has spent much of his career as Toon's trusty No 2 and he said: "If I could speak to a young Steve Harper 10 years ago, I would have told him to go on loan then.
    "I hadn't played a competitive game for about six months before coming to Brighton so it was nice to blow the cobwebs out.
    "I didn't want to do nothing for the last years of my career. I could be here until January, the longer the better.
    "I'll speak to the manager and my wife and see how she is getting on with the kids, and we'll take it from there."

Uploads

Geoff Brown: Biding his time
    SAINTS IN NO RUSH TO NAME NEW BOSS

St Johnstone are continuing to bide their time in their managerial search, chairman Geoff Brown said on Tuesday.
    Under-19 coach Alec Cleland, who is currently in temporary charge alongside captain Jody Morris, is keen to claim the permanent position after a deal to bring in main target Paul Cook from Sligo Rovers collapsed last week over personal terms.
    Former Northern Ireland international Steve Lomas has also been linked with the vacancy following Derek McInnes' departure to Bristol City.
    But Brown insists it is imperative the right appointment is made.
    The chairman said on the club's official website, www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk: "We have had a huge number of applications and they are still coming in.
    "It is inevitably a slow process and a few people have to be taken into consideration.
    "Things are moving in the right direction but we are not quite ready yet.
    "We have two or three candidates right now that we could appoint immediately but it is important that we get the person who is right for St Johnstone. It's a crucial appointment."
    McInnes left McDiarmid Park following the 2-0 win over Inverness last month.
    Saints have failed to score since - drawing 0-0 with Dundee United and losing 1-0 to St Mirren last weekend.
    Brown hopes the new manager will be prominent in the community in Perth.
    He added: "Results are the be-all and end-all but one of the criteria now is getting in someone who will get out and about more than any previous manager.
    "We must get youngsters relating to the football club so that will be an important aspect of the job."
    Brown's son, Steve, is the vice-chairman and alongside directors Stan Harris and Charlie Fraser will have an added input into the appointment.
    The chairman added: "Whoever is appointed as manager will be working more closely with these guys and particularly Steve on a day-to-day basis than they will with me so it is right that Steve, Stan and Charlie have a significant input."
    (re-opens) St Johnstone's next fixture is Monday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League meeting with Aberdeen.
    It is understood the club hope to make a permanent appointment prior to the match, which precedes the international break.

Uploads

Mario Balotelli: Strong start to the season
    MANCINI REVEALS BALOTELLI OFFERS

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has confirmed that the club turned down the chance to sell Mario Balotelli back to Italy this summer.
    The Italy international joined City in 2010, but had struggled to settle in England prior to this season and that led to him being linked with a number of Serie A clubs.
    He has since had a brilliant start to this season with six goals to his name, but Mancini revealed that the club could have allowed the former Inter Milan man to return to Italy.
    "Sooner or later Balotelli will go back to Italy," the City boss told the Corriere della Sera on Tuesday. "That is for sure.
    "However, it won't happen for a few more years and it will do him good to remain at Manchester City for the time being.
    "We did receive various offers for him from Italian clubs over the summer, but we don't sell anybody here."