Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 04-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 04-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 04-11-11

Steve McClaren: On Club Brugge's list
    McCLAREN ON CLUB BRUGGE RADAR

Steve McClaren could be poised for a return to management with Club Brugge.
    Brugges's caretaker boss Rudy Verkempinck confirmed the former England head coach is "one on the list" after his side's 2-2 draw at Birmingham in the Europa League.
    McClaren parted company with Nottingham Forest last month and Brugge are looking for a new coach after sacking Adrie Koster at the weekend.
    Verkempinck said: "I heard the news (about McClaren) but there are many coaches being talked about.
    "Brugge is a top team and we want really a winner, a leader, and he (McClaren) is one on the list.
    "We will see, I will keep doing my job and I hope a good coach will come."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 04-11-11

Dalla Valle: Impressed at United
    DALLA VALLE EYES TERRORS STAY

Lauri Dalla Valle would like to stay with Dundee United after settling in well at Tannadice.
    The 20-year-old Fulham striker joined Peter Houston's side on loan during the summer and has since scored three times for the Scottish outfit.
    And Dalla Valle, part of Finland's Under-21 side to face Ukraine next week, hopes he gets the chance to continue impressing beyond January.
    Dalla Valle said: "My contract here is until January and I have been very happy with the way things have gone.
    "I will need to look at what Fulham and United are saying in January but I am enjoying it here and if staying put is what's best for everyone then it's possible.
    "I came here to play games and I'm getting to do that. I am pleased with my progress and enjoying playing for United.
    "I have also scored a few goals since coming here so it is a good move for me."

Uploads

Luca Scapuzzi: Oldham loan move
    OLDHAM BORROW MAN CITY PAIR

Oldham have signed Manchester City duo Luca Scapuzzi and Andreas Mancini on emergency loan deals.
    Scapuzzi, who joins the Latics on a two-month deal, has played twice for the City first team this season, both in the Carling Cup.
    Mancini, son of City boss Roberto, joins Oldham on a one-month deal and bolsters Paul Dickov's midfield options.
    Dickov told the Manchester City website: "We have got a couple of strikers out with injury and I am really grateful to Roberto Mancini for allowing these deals to go through.
    "Luca's confidence is high at the moment after his appearance, assists, and 'goal' (which was later changed to an own goal) in the Carling Cup against Wolves and hopefully he will bring that with him.
    "I have seen both Luca and Andrea play this season and they are both decent players. We have four games in the next two weeks so they will definitely see some action."

Uploads

Andy Gray: Concerned by depth
    TYKES SQUAD SIZE WORRIES GRAY

Andy Gray is concerned the lack of depth in the Barnsley squad could hinder their progress this season.
    The much-travelled striker netted his fourth goal this term in Tuesday's 2-1 victory over Hull which lifted the Tykes six points clear of the relegation zone.
    However, Barnsley are also only six points adrift of the play-off places in a tightly-packed Championship, although Gray admits having such a small squad could work against them.
    "We're capable of beating anybody in this league, it's just getting that consistency and with a small squad it's difficult," said the 33-year-old.
    "We've had a blip the last couple of weeks, but you can pick on one hand the number of bad results, so it's good to get back to winning ways.
    "To bounce back against a Hull City team who have been flying is a really good result for us."

Uploads

Lee Clark: Has no interest in the Leicester job
    LEE CLARK RUBBISHES LEICESTER LINK

Lee Clark is "not interested" in becoming Leicester boss after widespread media reports saying he was close to taking charge at the Foxes.
    The Huddersfield boss has been linked with various posts this season, with the fine job he has done at the Galpharm not going unnoticed.
    Leicester, following their decision to part with Sven-Goran Eriksson, were the latest club reported to have expressed an interest in his services.
    Clark has refused to comment on the rumours in the past but, with his future called into question yet again, he has taken the decision to air his full commitment to Huddersfield.
    In a statement released on the Terriers' official website, he said: "We have woken up to another round of media speculation this morning (Thursday) regarding me and it is now escalating on a daily basis.
    "I have tried not to comment on it up until this point as that is all it has been - speculation; I didn't want to give any substance to it. For me, it has been a case of business as usual this week.
    "However, the speculation hasn't gone away and I apologise to anyone if not commenting on this earlier has caused any issues for the supporters. Regardless, now is the time that I want to put these rumours to an end.
    "Obviously on a personal level it is satisfying to be linked to jobs at clubs in a higher division, but that is all I take from these links. Players get linked to other clubs when they are doing well and you have to take it as a compliment in that sense.
    "As I have also said, I believe these rumours are a compliment to Huddersfield Town too and we should take it as a positive that our success is catching the attention of people in the game outside of our area.
    "However, I want to reiterate that I am 100 per cent committed to the owner, the fans and the players at Huddersfield Town and I am totally focused on continuing this magnificent start to the season and getting this club promoted.
    "I want to put an end to this speculation - I am not interested in the Leicester vacancy. All I am interested in is moving forward with the job at hand at Huddersfield Town.
    "Mt staff and I, and most importantly my family, are very happy here; we get looked after unbelievably well by the club and we really appreciate it.
    "My sole focus is on taking Huddersfield Town forward and achieving the goals that we are all so desperate to."

Uploads

Paul Lambert: Won't upset applecart
    LAMBERT STEERS CLEAR OF BIG EGOS

Norwich manager Paul Lambert insists he would not "destroy the ethos of the club" by signing a "big-time Charlie" to bolster the squad during the January transfer window.
    The Canaries head to Aston Villa sitting proudly in the top half of the Barclays Premier League following an impressive return to the elite, with just three defeats from their opening 10 games.
    The rapid rise of the Norfolk club from npower League One to the top flight under Lambert's guidance has been built on a strong team ethic, with many of the current squad having at one time plied their trade in non-league football.
    While both Norwich chairman Alan Bowkett and chief executive David McNally confirmed to a supporters' forum at Carrow Road on Thursday night that Lambert will be backed with funds to strengthen the current group when the market opens again, the Canaries boss insists it will not be at any cost.
    "I won't destroy the ethos of the club for one individual. And as I think the chairman said, the club won't ever go back to the position it was in two years ago," Lambert told a news conference.
    "Would I put up with someone coming here and thinking they're bigger than what we have already got? No.
    "But if you're talking about 'big time Charlies' arriving, then what you tend to find is that 'big time Charlies' want the big-time money which we won't do because of what's been happening."
    Captain Grant Holt is pressing for a recall on Saturday, having come off the bench for the second match in a row to score when netting a stoppage-time penalty to secure a 3-3 draw against Blackburn at Carrow Road.
    The 30-year-old former tyre-fitter epitomises the spirit of the current group, which sees everyone put collective needs ahead of individual ambition.
    Lambert, who will take charge of his 100th league match as Canaries boss, added: "There are no two ways about it. Any successful team that I have seen or been involved in was always about the team.
    "Yes, you might have somebody who can make a little bit of a difference but they will only be as good as the one next to them.
    "I am sure if you asked Wes [Hoolahan] he will say that someone has to go and get the ball for him - somebody has got to do the hard work.
    "So, in my view, the team is more important than any one individual."
    Norwich survived a first-half onslaught from their last away trip at Liverpool, before battling to a creditable 1-1 draw.
    Despite having also performed well at Chelsea and Manchester United, while winning at Bolton, Lambert maintains there will be no thoughts of getting an easy ride at Villa Park.
    "Going to Villa Park will be a great experience for ourselves. The stadium is lovely, they have a vibrant fanbase as well and a new manager," said the Norwich manager, who could name an unchanged side for the seventh consecutive match.
    "It is a tough, tough game - but as I have said before we are playing well enough to win."

Uploads

Kyle Lafferty: Talks opened over new deal
    McCOIST UPBEAT ON LAFFERTY DEAL

Rangers manager Ally McCoist is confident an agreement can be reached with Kyle Lafferty over a new deal.
    McCoist revealed last week that chairman Craig Whyte had opened contract talks with the Northern Irishman's agent about extending his stay at Ibrox.
    The Rangers boss has since had a chance to speak to Lafferty about his future with the Light Blues and does not anticipate too many problems.
    "I've spoken to Kyle and Kyle is happy here. We are very happy to have Kyle here," McCoist said.
    "We would want to extend his contract, Kyle wants to extend it and that's where we are at the moment.
    "There hasn't been any figures thrashed out but, when you've got two parties and they both want the same thing, it gives you a good chance of getting a deal."
    As well as tying up Lafferty, McCoist is also keen to bolster his squad further in January.
    He admits the loss of Steven Naismith for the rest of the season with cruciate ligament damage is a major blow but says he would have been looking to strengthen anyway.
    He said: "I'm not sure we need to replace Naismith in January. But you want to strengthen your team and your squad and that will continue to be the case.
    "Myself, Kenny [MacDowall] and Ian [Durrant] are looking to strengthen the squad.
    "Naismith being out has given us a problem because he could have played up front for us, he could have played in midfield, he could have played in between the midfield and up front and he could have played in the wider areas. He covered us for five or six positions.
    "From that point of view, it definitely gives us a little bit of a headache. We will be looking and, if we can strengthen, we would like to."
    One player who will not be signing is Swedish striker Joe Sise, with Rangers confirming on Thursday he has now left Scotland after failing to win a contract following a trial with the club.
    McCoist said on Friday: "It was in both parties' best interest that there was no deal struck and that's all there was to it. He's a smashing lad and came in and trained and played but that's all there was to it.
    "I've got thousands of others in mind but I will continue to look and monitor and see what happens.
    "There are one or two players we are looking at but we are just keeping our options open and looking at players. There is nothing concrete at this moment in time."
    McCoist faces another, more welcome, selection headache with the return of Kyle Bartley following hernia surgery ahead of Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League game against Dundee United.
    The on-loan Arsenal defender has been out of action since August, during which time Dorin Goian and Carlos Bocanegra have forged an impressive central defensive partnership.
    McCoist said: "Of course it gives you a headache. Goian and Bocanegra have been fabulous, really great for us.
    "Ross Perry has come in and done well when he's been asked and David Weir came in for the Liverpool game and was outstanding.
    "So we've got real competition for places in the centre-back position.
    "Kyle can play in one or two positions and you could probably play him anywhere across the back and in the middle of the park as well.
    "I'm a firm believer that it's a real bonus having players who can play in one or two positions."

Uploads

Sergio: Persuaded players not to make formal complaint
    HEARTS SETTLE OVERDUE WAGES

Hearts' players received their overdue wages on Friday, Press Association Sport understands.
    Senior squad members at the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club received their monthly income which had been due on October 16.
    The news came 24 hours after the squad were persuaded not to make a formal complaint to the Scottish Premier League by manager Paulo Sergio.
    It is understood the players were ready to sign a letter of complaint addressed to SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster, asking him to intervene in the matter and with the possibility of invoking FIFA Article 14 for breach of contract with just cause.
    Sergio asked them to bide their time and now the players, who play St Mirren on Saturday, have been paid for the first time since mid-September.
    The players' union, PFA Scotland, worked with Hearts' players and made the squad aware of all the implications of the issue, but now the payment has been made.
    It was not the first time Hearts had delayed payment of their staff, but the near three-week duration was believed to have been causing some alarm, particularly after owner Vladimir Romanov this week expressed his reluctance to continue to plough money into the club.
    Hearts remain in a financial predicament, though, with more than 30million worth of debt, and players could yet depart when the January transfer window opens.
    It has been a torrid period for Hearts, but manager Sergio is set to be in the St Mirren Park dugout tomorrow after yesterday avoiding a touchline ban for his comments about official Iain Brines last month.
    The Portuguese boss is set to answer further charges on November 17 following last weekend's loss to Kilmarnock, when he was sent to the stand by referee Alan Muir.
    Hearts instigated a media ban ahead of Sergio's first Hampden appearance and it remains in place, with the official website the only channel of communication.
    Midfielder Ian Black was sent off last week and is set to serve the first of a three-match ban tomorrow, while left-back Danny Grainger is also banned after receiving a two-match suspension for stamping on Killie goalscorer Dean Shiels.
    The bans will force changes to Sergio's side as Hearts seek to end a run of two straight losses and climb from fifth place in the SPL table.
    Darren Barr is out with a groin injury, while fit-again striker Calum Elliot has joined Dundee on a month-long loan deal.
    Should Elliot play for the Dark Blues against Raith Rovers in the Irn-Bru First Division tomorrow, he could face Hearts team-mate Denis Prychynenko, who yesterday joined the Kirkcaldy club on loan until January.
    Elliot has returned to fitness following knee surgery and last played for Hearts eight months ago.
    First-team coach Gary Locke believes the move to Dundee will be beneficial.
    Locke told Hearts' official website, www.hearts.fc.co.uk: "I think it's going to be a great move for him.
    "He has been looking really sharp in training over the past few weeks but is needing games.
    "Hopefully if he can get a few with Dundee then he'll be ready to come straight back into the team when he returns from the loan."

Uploads

Alex McCarthy: Loan move
    McCARTHY MAKES LEEDS LOAN MOVE

Leeds have completed the loan signing of Reading's England Under-21 international goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.
    Manager Simon Grayson has moved to draft in goalkeeping cover after Andy Lonergan fractured his finger and deputy Paul Rachubka had a nightmare in Wednesday's 5-0 home loss to Blackpool.
    McCarthy, 21, will go straight into the squad for Sunday's game at Leicester and Grayson told the club's official website: "I'd like to thank Brian McDermott for allowing Alex to come to us. They're keen for him to play games and hopefully his loan spell here will help with his development.
    "We allowed Billy Paynter to go to Brighton last week for very similar reasons and you hope that moves like this suit everyone concerned, both clubs and the player.
    "Alex is a good, young goalkeeper. He's played with England Under-21s and I'm sure our fans will remember him from the game at Elland Road last season when he showed all his qualities with a really strong performance."
    McCarthy was man of the match at Elland Road last season when Leeds drew 0-0 with Reading but has only played once this season.

Uploads

Stephen Pearson: Loan switch
    McINNES COMPLETES PEARSON DEAL

Bristol City have signed Derby midfielder Stephen Pearson on a two-month emergency loan deal.
    The 29-year-old has started only one game for the Rams this season - the home Carling Cup defeat to Shrewsbury during the opening week of the campaign - although he has spent some time on the sidelines with an abdominal injury.
    He is new Robins boss Derek McInnes' first signing since he arrived at Ashton Gate.
    "Stephen's got great experience and if he can get to the level that he's capable then he will certainly be an asset to us," McInnes told the club's official website.
    "Knowing him, he'll come here with a point to prove and he'll be hungry to do well."
    Pearson himself is hoping to make an immediate impact for the club on the left-side of midfield.
    He said: "Hopefully I'll bring a lot of energy, a lot of enthusiasm and I'll try and chip in with the odd goal here and there."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast