Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 10-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 10-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 10-11-11

Luis Suarez: Planning long Liverpool stay
    SUAREZ LOVING LIFE AT LIVERPOOL

Luis Suarez wants to stay at Liverpool beyond his current five-year contract.
    Suarez has proved to be a smash hit on Merseyside since arriving from Ajax last January, with the striker establishing himself as one of the best players in the Premier League.
    The Uruguayan's stellar performances have alerted a number of top clubs across Europe, but the 24-year-old, who signed a five-year deal when he joined Liverpool, admits he loves life at Anfield and he would be happy to extend his stay at the club.
    "I've just started a phase of my career which I always dreamed about and wanted to do, which is to play for Liverpool," Suarez told the Daily Mirror.
    "I have five years left on my contract and I think beyond that, I'm already thinking about staying many more years at Liverpool.
    "It's a club I like. I feel very good about being here, about being in the city.
    "I feel very pleased. It would be difficult to match the atmosphere, hunger for success and glory that this club has at another team."
    Suarez also praised Reds boss Kenny Dalglish for giving him the confidence to produce his best on the pitch.
    "The truth is there's not much conversation with Kenny because of the language barrier, which makes it hard for me," added Suarez.
    "But he is the one who has given me confidence. He was the one who had confidence in me. He was the one who said 'I want Suarez'. That sort of belief is something you repay when you play.
    "When a coach gives you confidence, you can give your very best back.
    "If you don't have faith in your manager, it's very difficult to play well and I think Kenny has a lot of confidence in me."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 10-11-11

Ken Bates: Wants to see Leeds climb table
    KEN BATES WANTS MORE FROM LEEDS

Leeds chairman Ken Bates has turned up the heat on manager Simon Grayson by insisting the club's current position of seventh in the Championship is not good enough.
    Bates has also confirmed "heart-searching" discussions have been taking place among Elland Road staff this week in a bid to propel the Whites up the table.
    United headed into the international break on the back of a 1-0 victory at Leicester City, the win coming on the back of a horrific 5-0 home defeat to Blackpool.
    Leeds are out of the play-off spots only on goal difference and while Bates was pleased to see United bounce back from the Blackpool loss he wants more from Grayson and the players.
    Bates told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "Well you have got to commend it, but you also have got to do soul-searching on why we have lost the games we've lost and why have we drawn the games we've drawn.
    "And, without being too critical, the fact of the matter is we have lost games rather than been beaten. We have given away the points rather than them being earned by the opposition and that's something that we've had too much of and it's got to stop.
    "There are discussions going on this week, heart-searching in the backroom to decide what we can do to improve the situation because we should be higher than we are."

Uploads

Eden Hazard: Flattered by Inter interest
    EDEN HAZARD WELCOMES INTER INTEREST

Lille midfielder Eden Hazard is proud to be a reported target of Inter Milan.
    The Belgium international has reportedly attracted interest from top European clubs, including Serie A giants Inter, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Arsenal.
    Hazard was instrumental in Lille winning the French league and the French Cup last season and was voted Ligue 1's Player of the Year by his fellow professionals.
    "Inter is a fantastic squad," Hazard told Corriere dello Sport.
    "They have great champions. If you play for a club like Inter you have to be considered a top player.
    "Of course the interests of top clubs can only please me.
    "When a great club like Inter that has won so much wants me, this can only make me proud."
    The 20-year-old insists, however, that he will not make a decision regarding his future until the end of the season.
    "For the time being I'm not thinking about the future," Hazard said.
    "My focus is on Lille. It's my agent that takes care of negotiations."
    Hazard is under contract with Lille until June 2015

Uploads

Michael Appleton: Set for Portsmouth job
    POMPEY TO UNVEIL APPLETON - REPORT

Michael Appleton will be unveiled as Portsmouth manager today, according to reports.
    Portsmouth had targeted Appleton as the man they wanted to replace Steve Cotterill following his departure to Nottingham Forest last month.
    And now Sky Sports claim the West Brom assistant boss has beaten off interest from a number of top managers to land the Portsmouth job after impressing in interviews.
    Portsmouth and West Brom have been thrashing out a compensation package for the last few days and now a deal has finally been struck.
    Appleton, who will be embarking on his first managerial role, is understood to have agreed a three-and-a-half-year deal at Fratton Park.
    The 35-year-old is expected to meet the players before being unveiled to the media.
    Appleton will take charge of the team for the first time for the trip to Watford on November 19.
    Appleton has established himself as one of the best young coaches in the country after impressing at West Brom.
    The former Manchester United midfielder was appointed first-team coach at West Brom in June 2009 and took charge of first-team affairs when Roberto Di Matteo left the club in February 2011.
    Appleton was appointed as Roy Hodgson's assistant when the former Fulham chief replaced Di Matteo and the pair guided the Baggies to safety in the Premier League last season.

Uploads

Henning Berg: Keen to return to Britain
    HENNING BERG KEEN ON HIBS JOB

Henning Berg is interested in filling the vacant manager's seat at struggling Hibernian.
    The former Manchester United and Rangers defender has had spells in charge of Lyn and Lillestrom in his native Norway, and kept the latter in the top division during a tough period for the club.
    However, 42-year-old Berg is now keen to return to British football, and believes a move to Easter Road would be ideal.
    "I enjoyed my time in the UK as a player and would love to return in a managerial capacity," Berg told the Daily Record.
    "The Hibs job is very attractive - I know they have great facilities at the stadium and training ground - and I'd love to speak to them."
    Berg built a reputation for developing young players in Norway, which could appeal to the SPL side.

Uploads

Dario Gradi: Hands over first-team duties
    GRADI HANDS OVER CREWE REINS

Steve Davis is Crewe's new manager after Dario Gradi handed over responsibility for first-team duties.
    A statement on the club's official website highlighted the new Football League rules governing youth development as the reason behind the decision, with Gradi set to continue his role behind the scenes as director of football at Gresty Road after 1,353 games in charge.

The statement read: "The Football and Premier Leagues have published plans aimed at furthering developing youth development programmes at clubs.
    "These plans will have significant impacts of clubs both financially and organisationally.
    "The Crewe Alexandra board believes that youth development should still be a major investment for the club and intends to exploit any opportunities arising from such changes, despite the challenges it will face.
    "As a result, Dario Gradi, whilst continuing his role as director of football and board director, will hand over first-team manager responsibilities to Steve Davis and concentrate on the future development and direction of the academy."
    Gradi boasts an association with Crewe spanning three decades, having initially managed the club from 1983 until 2007, before returning to the hotseat in lengthy spells - officially as caretaker manager - following the dismissals of Steve Holland and Gudjon Thordarson in 2008 and 2009 respectively.
    The Railwaymen currently lie 18th in npower League Two after Saturday's 3-0 loss to Torquay.

Uploads

Ferguson: Twenty-five years in the hotseat
    GILL ON FERGUSON SUCCESSOR

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has underlined the requirement for Sir Alex Ferguson's replacement to be completely in tune with the values so prevalent at Old Trafford.
    Ferguson celebrated 25 years in the United hotseat on Sunday.
    It is a quite incredible achievement that drew widespread appreciation from across the game.
    As Ferguson has shown no inclination to surrender his position, the search for a successor has yet to begin.
    However, when it does, Gill has highlighted some non-negotiable requirements the new man must meet.
    "It will be difficult to replace him - it's naive to say anything other than that," Gill told MUTV.
    "But we are a great club whose values go back in history to our heritage to the '50s and '60s and the last 25 years with Alex.
    "To continue with that, the new manager needs to understand those values and the vision for the club and must buy into that."
    As he approaches his 70th birthday on New Year's Eve, no-one could accuse Ferguson of concentrating on his immediate priority of withstanding the challenge posed by Manchester City at the expense of United's future.
    In Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley, Ferguson has integrated a quartet of young English players to his squad this season that could provide a platform for United over the next decade.
    "The important point to make is the new manager, whenever that may be and whomever that may be, will be taking over a great, great club, in a great, great sport and Alex, in particular, will want to make sure he inherits a great squad," said Gill.
    "That's our goal - to make sure when the new manager comes in he does have a great squad to work with in terms of age and profile."
    The chances of Ferguson's replacement emulating the Scot's success - 12 Premier League titles and two European Cups - is remote, though.
    And Gill feels Ferguson's work goes far beyond that.
    "Alex's legacy to United is to my mind very clear - delivering an unprecedented period of success in the Manchester United way," he said.
    "By that, I mean attractive football using young players - both homegrown and buying players when necessary like Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, but actually developing our own players.
    "That record is there for everyone to see and that legacy is very clear also.
    "Within that, he's made sure he's cemented United's position as one of the top clubs in world football.
    "We're very well respected clearly in this country and around the world. You only have to see our following there on tour in America and Asia, plus in Europe when you speak to any other club.
    "United are rightly held in very high esteem down in no small measure to what Alex has achieved in the last 25 years."

Uploads

Tim Ream: Set for stint in England
    ARSENAL EYE REAM MOVE

New York Red Bulls defender Tim Ream has admitted that Arsenal are tracking him.
    The USA international is being strongly linked with a move across the Atlantic, after an impressive campaign in New York.
    The 24-year-old Ream, who has seven full caps to his name, was asked about reported Arsenal interest and confirmed they wanted him.
    "I guess its public knowledge now and there have been others [teams]," Ream said.
    "It's good to have teams tracking you but it can't be a distraction either. If something comes of it, so be it. It would be a chance of a lifetime."
    Ream is also being tracked by other teams and reports suggest that West Brom have invited him for a trial with a view to a loan move.
    "If someone comes and wants me to possibly come over on a loan deal, I think we'll explore that opportunity," he said.
    Ream also revealed that he may train with Red Bulls' sister club in Salzburg.
    "He [Jurgen Klinsmann, US coach] is kind of setting all of that up," Ream said.
    "There is nothing concrete as of yet."

Uploads

Brek Shea: Trains with Arsenal
    BREK SHEA TRAINING WITH ARSENAL

USA international Brek Shea has linked up with Arsenal for a training stint that will allow him to gain experience and possibly play with the reserves.
    The 21-year-old is one of the three nominees for the MLS Most Valuable Player award this season following a series of impressive performances for FC Dallas.
    FC Dallas' domestic campaign is now at an end and the American club were keen for Shea to spend time in Europe during the off-season.
    The Gunners have given him the opportunity to train with them and manager Arsene Wenger is looking forward to seeing Shea at close quarters.
    The midfielder will take part in sessions with the first team and other promising prospects at the club, while Wenger hopes to give him a run in the reserves.
    "It's a training period for him to see what his top level is like," Wenger told Arsenal Player.
    "The MLS encourage their players to go out to Europe during their off-season for improvement, practice and to have contact with top-level football.
    "That's why Brek Shea is coming here. It is a learning experience for him.

"Brek will train with the first-team when it is possible and practice with the best prospects of the club as well outside of the normal sessions.
    "There is not a better place than the Premier League to do that."
    Wenger does accept that regulations may not allow Shea to feature for the second string.
    "If it is possible I would like to do it," said Wenger.
    "We will have to see how it goes because we play many games now and we have to check how it works on the legal side too."