Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 19-11-11

Gary Cahill: Long tracked by Wenger
    WENGER WON'T RETURN FOR CAHILL

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger maintains he won't swoop for Bolton defender Gary Cahill in January.
    The Gunners have long tracked the 25-year-old England international, who won his seventh cap in the 1-0 friendly win over Sweden at Wembley, and tried to bring him to Emirates Stadium during the summer.
    While that bid - reported to have been under 10million - failed, Bolton boss Owen Coyle fully expects the club's resolve to be tested again when the market reopens in 2012.
    Wenger, however, insists the Gunners are not contemplating renewed interested, having brought in Germany international Per Mertesacker.
    "Cahill is good enough to play Champions League, but he is not someone I would be interested in," said the Arsenal manager.
    "I have got five central defenders - [Laurent] Koscielny, [Sebastien] Squillaci, Mertesacker, [Thomas] Vermaelen and [Johan] Djourou. Of this five, four are international players.
    "We were in the market in the summer, but at that time they [Bolton] were greedy."
    Wenger insists his focus is currently on the job in hand of maintaining momentum as Arsenal hunt down the top four, while also looking to next week secure safe passage into the knockout stages of the Champions League with a game to spare by beating Dortmund at Emirates Stadium.
    However, it will not be long before the Gunners boss must consider just where to strengthen his squad, which is currently light on full-backs with both Kieran Gibbs and Carl Jenkinson joining Bacary Sagna on the injury list.
    Former captain Thierry Henry has linked up again with his old club to keep himself fit following the end of New York Red Bulls' Major League play-off campaign.
    Wenger, though, remained cautious over suggestions the 34-year-old would make a welcome addition on a short-term deal.
    The Arsenal manager said: "In football you rule very few things out, because it depends if you have seven injuries until January.
    "However, at the moment we have a big enough squad to cope.
    "We have got [Theo] Walcott, Gervinho, [Robin] van Persie, Park Ju-young, [Marouane] Chamakh who are all strikers."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-11-11

Sone Aluko: Training with Rangers
    McCOIST IMPRESSED BY ALUKO

Ally McCoist plans to extend Sone Aluko's trial period with Rangers after revealing he has been impressed by the former Aberdeen winger so far.
    Aluko spent this week training with the rest of the first-team squad at Murray Park and the Ibrox boss wants more time to assess the player before deciding whether to offer him a contract.
    Aluko has been without a club since his Dons contract expired at the end of last season but McCoist says the player has lived up to expectations over the last few days.
    He said: "Sone Aluko has trained with us this week and he showed up very well, as we expected him to.
    "We are going to have a chat with Sone and his agents and possibly keep him here for another four or five days' training.
    "He seems to be enjoying it and we are certainly enjoying having him.
    "Sone is one of those players who has pace to take on a man and beat him.
    "He can play on either side and can probably play in the hole as well. He gives us that kind of option.
    "He definitely has talent, there is no doubt about that, particularly in the games that he played for Aberdeen against ourselves.
    "We always felt he did very well and that's exactly what he has shown us in training. He has shown us what a good player he can be."
    McCoist admits he is unsure as to whether Aberdeen would be entitled to compensation for the 22-year-old.
    He added: "I would have to plead ignorance on that but I would imagine there might be an issue with compensation. But that's somebody else's department and we will look into that."
    Rangers are also set to take Indian strikers Sunil Chhetri and Jeje Lalpekhlua on trial, with both players on the scoresheet for their country in a friendly win over Malaysia in midweek.
    McCoist said: "I've not got a date but I think we are trying to organise for them to come in a week on Monday.
    "I'll be better placed to tell you about those two lads then.
    "We didn't have anybody at the game but we saw the game. The world is a small place now with coverage and DVDs and action at the flick of a switch.
    "We have watched them in one or two other games as well, international and club matches, so we are pretty well covered and we are really looking forward to seeing the boys."
    On reported interest in South Korea midfielder Yoon Bit-garam, McCoist said: "He is a player we have seen and watched in a few games and he has impressed.
    "But there has been no contact to the best of my knowledge between the player and the agents and the club. We are not any further forward in terms of that player."
    Despite Rangers casting their net wide in search of fresh talent, McCoist insists there is no chance of the club recruiting players simply for the purpose of exploiting commercial opportunities.
    He said: "I can reassure everybody 100% that individual players will only be signed if we feel they can play in the first team and enhance the ability of our squad.
    "That's the only way we will sign any player, no matter what part of the world they are from.
    "Effectively they go hand in hand. It would be pointless of us to sign a player just for the sake of signing him and not play him and his commercial value would be zero.
    "There will be no players signed unless we believe that they will better the team and the squad."
    Meanwhile, the Rangers boss is hoping to avoid a post-international break slump when St Johnstone come calling in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League tomorrow after being held to a draw by St Mirren after the last break.
    He said: "Time will tell on that one. We didn't have as many away as we normally have.
    "We have not been ourselves after one or two of the international breaks.
    "I'm loathe to take any praise away from St Mirren, because they played very well against us, but we weren't ourselves in that game."

Uploads

Vokes: Burnley move
    SAM VOKES JOINS BURNLEY

Burnley have signed Wolves striker Sam Vokes on loan until January, the npower Championship club have confirmed.
    The 22-year-old is in line to make his Clarets debut against former loan club Leeds when the two sides meet at Turf Moor.
    Vokes, who has also enjoyed temporary stints with Bristol City, Sheffield United and Norwich, last week scored a brace for Wales in their 4-1 friendly triumph over Norway in what was his 19th full international.
    Clarets boss Eddie Howe worked with the player during the pair's time together at Bournemouth, with Vokes leaving the south-coast club to join Wolves in 2008.
    Howe said: "I have known Sam for a long time, since he was 16 years old.
    "He did fantastically well in his early years at Bournemouth, got his move to Wolves and started really well there and is now getting international recognition.
    "Sam is a striker in form who scored two goals for his country last week and he fits our criteria."
    Vokes, who will stay with Burnley until January 15, has made seven appearances for Wolves this season but his only starts have come in the Carling Cup.

Uploads

Dembele: Linked with Spurs
    JOL DETERMINED TO KEEP DEMBELE

Fulham manager Martin Jol has warned his former club Tottenham that Mousa Dembele is not for sale.
    The 24-year-old forward is understood to be a target for Spurs and said this week he regarded a potential move to White Hart Lane as a "step higher".
    Dembele has since insisted he is happy at Craven Cottage and Jol, who was sacked by Spurs in 2007, maintains the Belgium international is going nowhere.
    "Maybe someone told you about Tottenham, I don't know. But there is a lot of interest in good players, and I've got a few," said the Dutchman.
    "It's up to us to keep them here, and that's what we're trying to do.
    "I think Dembele could develop into one of the best. He's better on the ball than any other number 10s I know. The only step he has to take now is play more killer balls and finish.
    "If he can do that more than he did before he will become a very good player for us.
    "Dembele gives us an extra dimension. For me it's important I've got good players. If they are better than average players it's only good for the club."
    Jol is also keen to keep hold of striker Andrew Johnson, who is out of contract at the end of the season and has yet to agree a new deal.
    QPR are the latest club to be linked with a January move for the 30-year-old former England international, who has scored eight goals this season.
    "There is no news," added Jol.
    "There is always interest from other clubs but he is still under contract here until the end of the season - not January, the end of the season. That is the only thing we know for a fact and if something changes we will tell you."
    Fulham head to Sunderland on Saturday with both teams hovering just a single point above the drop zone in the Premier League.
    Their involvement in the Europa League means the Cottagers will be playing their 25th game of the season.
    Sunderland, by contrast, have played just 12 but Jol is confident his side can get a positive result at the Stadium of Light.
    "Sunderland are in a similar position to us," he said.
    "So it's an important game for us and a very important game for them.
    "They are pretty strong at home but over the last couple of games we have done well away from home so we will do everything to get the points on the board."
    Jol will be without defender Stephen Kelly, who suffered a groin injury on Republic of Ireland duty, while midfielder Steven Sidwell is unlikely to play as he recovers from a minor hernia operation.

Uploads

Nile Ranger: Barnsley loan move
    NILE RANGER SET FOR BARNSLEY MOVE

Barnsley are set to sign Newcastle striker Nile Ranger on loan ahead of their Championship match against Doncaster.
    The club said in a statement on their official website that a proposed deal will keep Ranger at Oakwell until January 14 and will bolster a strikeforce that includes Danny Haynes, Reuben Noble-Lazarus and Craig Davies.
    The 20-year-old was given his Magpies debut in 2009 and made 12 appearances for England Under-18s, scoring six goals.
    However, Ranger has not featured for the Barclays Premier League side this year and has had off-the-field issues.

Uploads

Hodgson: Braced for run of key games
    NEW DEAL NOT A PRIORITY FOR HODGSON

West Brom head coach Roy Hodgson is more focused on a crucial run of fixtures before Christmas than holding discussions over his own future.
    Hodgson's current deal runs out in the summer and the club's sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth intimated this week that talks over a new contract will take place in the new year.
    But Hodgson is in no rush ahead of a month he admits will define whether West Brom will be relegation candidates or contenders for a spot in the top half of the Premier League.
    He said: "There is no rush from a club point of view or mine (over the contract situation).
    "I have not got itchy feet and am not touting myself around for a new job.
    "People know what I do here and there is plenty of time to talk about that. It is not bothering me at the moment.
    "Pulling away from the relegation zone is more important than worrying about my future."
    The Baggies have had a tough start fixture-wise to the campaign and have already taken on Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal - and lost all four games.
    But before Christmas Albion will host Bolton and Wigan as well as visiting QPR and Blackburn.
    Hodgson said: "We are entering a very important period and the next batch of games up to Christmas are going to be the important ones.
    "They will show whether we can get close to the top half of the table or if we are doomed to be fighting in the bottom half.
    "We had a tough start fixture-wise. We started so badly in terms of points so I think we are pretty much now where we could hope to be.
    "But people tend to divide the Premier League up and there are more teams in the next run of games that people will be expecting to be in our sort of (area in the) league."
    Hodgson added: "Some clubs are viewed as title contenders, some Champions League (qualification) contenders, another group who purely want to avoid relegation, and a little group in the middle that could go either way.
    "But, if you are in the Premier League, you just have to be happy you are there and when you are contemplating any fixtures, they will be a challenge.
    "Every game is going to be an enormous test and that's the beauty of this league.
    "In the next few weeks we will see a lot of swing where teams get a win one week and people say you are only a couple of points off eighth place.
    "Then you lose the next week and people say you must be worried about relegation. Those of us at those clubs must expect and deal with that."
    Hodgson highlighted his point with the example of Bolton who put a poor start to the season behind them by thrashing Stoke 5-0 at the Reebok Stadium in their last outing before the international break.
    He said: "Bolton have had a tough fixture list but have been in the Premier League a long time and have had a lot of success during that time.
    "They are back in the mix because from the bottom club to eighth you are talking about a couple of points."
    Albion will give a late fitness test to strikers Shane Long and Peter Odemwingie who have been suffering with knee injuries.
    But midfielder Paul Scharner is again ruled out with a knee problem.

Uploads

Arshavin: Not returning to Zenit
    ZENIT WON'T MOVE FOR ARSHAVIN

Zenit St Petersburg coach Luciano Spalletti has ruled out making a bid to bring Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin back to the club.
    The Russia international has been linked with a return to Zenit after starting just five games in the Premier League this season.
    He initially left Zenit for the Gunners in 2009, but is reportedly unsettled at the Emirates Stadium due to being in and out of Arsene Wenger's side.
    However, while Spalletti acknowledged his admiration of Arshavin, he confirmed he does not have any plans to try to sign the 30-year-old.
    Spalletti told Russian website SPB: "Arshavin - he's a very strong footballer. If we need a player of his qualities then we'll try to sign him.
    "But at the moment we don't have such a need."

Uploads

Dickson Etuhu: Could leave Fulham
    ETUHU HINTS AT FULHAM EXIT

Dickson Etuhu has revealed he could be on his way out of Fulham in the January transfer window.
    The midfielder has threatened to quit Craven Cottage if he does not get more playing time in the Premier League.
    Etuhu was a regular under Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes but has started just two league games this season under Martin Jol.
    Steve Sidwell has jumped above the Nigerian in the pecking order with the other centre midfield berth filled by club captain Danny Murphy.
    Etuhu told the Fulham Chronicle: "It's very difficult if you only get 10 or 15 minutes. It's very hard to get involved in the game, especially in my position.
    "At the end of the day I'm not playing much now and come January I'll look at that.
    "I'm happy the team's doing well and if I don't get my chance I'll sit down with my people and have a chat about that.
    "If I have to make some changes then I'll have to. I'm 29 and I want to enjoy my years."

Uploads

Arsene Wenger looks on as Arsenal beat Norwich.
    WENGER 'COMMITTED' TO ARSENAL

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has played down talk that he is contemplating leaving the club at the end of the season.
    In an interview with L'Equipe Mag published on Saturday, Wenger stated that he will "take stock after the current season"; leading to suggestions that he could leave the Emirates next summer.
    However, following Arsenal's 2-1 victory over Norwich in the Premier League at Carrow Road on Saturday afternoon, Wenger clarified his comments.
    "I am completely committed to this club," the Frenchman told Sky Sports with a smile.
    "This is the club of my life and I am committed to my contract.
    "There was a conversation (with L'Equipe Mag) in which I was asked what I will do if I don't do well (this season), to which I replied that I could consider it (my future) only if I do what I think is below what is expected of the club.
    "But on my side, I have always shown commitment to the club."

Uploads

Michael Owen: Happy at Manchester United
    OWEN STILL WANTS MAN UTD STAY

Michael Owen has "loved every minute" at Manchester United and has reiterated his desire to end his career at Old Trafford.
    With just one Premier League start this campaign and another spell on the sidelines through injury, Owen has endured an inconsistent career since moving to the red half of Manchester.
    However, Owen remains optimistic about extending his Red Devils future after his one-year deal ends next summer.
    "I don't think I'm going to do a Giggsy and play into my late 30s but I'll definitely do two, three, four years it just depends," the 31-year-old told Soccer Saturday.
    "I would love to (stay at Manchester United). It might not be realistic because Man United are one of the world's best teams and there's always youngsters coming through and top players there, so I would love to but I'd have to be playing a little bit, a bit more.
    "But I've spoken to the manager on these topics a few times so we'll sit down again at the end of the season and discuss where we've gone, but I've loved every minute of it.
    "My decision to go to Manchester United was one at the start of 'Okay I'm not going to play every week but I'll be keeping my level and standard high, training with the best players. When I do play fantastic team, stadium, fans playing under an unbelievable manager'.
    "There was so much to look forward to, and I think people would be foolish if they think that I'd move to a team lower in the league when Man United were calling.
    "As soon as the call, the first thing I thought was I'm going to see what the manager's like in his team talks - that was one of the main things that was exciting about joining Manchester United."
    Having first burst on to the scene for Liverpool as a teenager and lighting up the Premier League with his pace and clinical finishing, Owen's career soared as Real Madrid required his services and he became an England regular.
    However, now into his 30s Owen has admitted he has had to look at how he plays in games more closely and adapt.
    On his early career days, he said: "You think about the game in a different way, you didn't have any fear, you didn't have any nerves, you just thought you were the best in the world.
    "When you're a kid you just think you can run through walls, the older you get the more you analyse things, you maybe have a bit of doubt, thinking negative thoughts and you sometimes have to draw on your experience a bit and the way you think about the game is different.
    "But the passion and the buzz for scoring and winning stays the same."
    Owen has been largely overlooked during Fabio Capello's reign as England coach and believes Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is a likely candidate to succeed the Italian after Euro 2012.
    "We've got a decent team, we've got a very good team," he said.
    "Personally I would like an Englishman (as national coach) to be honest, I've always been of the opinion that not just as a manager, your physio, your coach, your players, your manager, everyone, that is what your national team is about.
    "England national team and you've got a Spanish or Italian or a French coach walking around with an English tracksuit on - it doesn't feel right in many ways.
    "Harry Redknapp has been touted a lot. You'd have to say him wouldn't you?"