Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 21-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 21-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 21-11-11

David Beckham gets his hands on the trophy
    BECKHAM COY AFTER GALAXY GLORY

David Beckham remained non-committal over his future after helping the Los Angeles Galaxy beat the Houston Dynamo in the MLS Cup final on Sunday night.
    Beckham and Robbie Keane combined to set up Landon Donovan for the decisive goal in a 1-0 victory in front of a sell-out crowd of 30,281 inside the rainy Home Depot Center.
    The win handed the 36-year-old former England captain his first title in the United States - the Galaxy's first since 2005.
    Beckham's future is up in the air with his five-year contract due to expire next month, but he insisted that had not affected him in the build-up.
    "Not at all," he said on ESPN. "I play the game to win. Whether I stay or not, I've had an amazing five years.
    "I've loved it here. The fans have been unbelievable, the owners, the players...every one of them are heroes tonight. They've been incredible all season and this has capped it off."
    The former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder said at the pre-match press conference that winning an MLS Cup title would not be a factor in his decision to stay or go, and he reiterated that stance at the final whistle.
    "I've said that all the way along," he said. "It doesn't matter what happens at the end of the season.
    "People were talking about if we didn't win tonight it was going to be a disappointment and an unsuccessful five years. It's quietened a few people, which is always nice."
    While Beckham has had to wait five years for his first title, it took only a matter of months for Keane to achieve the feat following his summer move from Tottenham.
    The Republic of Ireland captain admitted the fatigue had got to him in the closing stages after a busy fortnight in which he returned to Europe to help his country qualify for Euro 2012 with a two-legged play-off triumph over Estonia.
    "It was a very tiring week, to be honest," he said. "I was a bit tired tonight.
    "The travelling got to me a little bit towards the end. Six games in two weeks - it's a bit tough, but we won and that's the main thing."
    Beckham revealed he had played the match with a slight tear in his hamstring.
    He told Sky Sports News: "I tore my hamstring four days ago - we told everyone it was a cold. I tried to sniff during the press conference but I don't think anyone believed me.
    "I'll enjoy this, I'll have a glass of wine - but I think we all deserve a glass of wine after this victory."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 21-11-11

Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge
    VILLAS-BOAS KEEPS BELIEVING

Andre Villas-Boas is confident Roman Abramovich remains fully behind his Chelsea revolution despite the club crashing to their fourth defeat already this season.
    Blues boss Villas-Boas claimed billionaire owner Abramovich would not have paid a world record 13million to prise him from Porto this summer, only to sack him at the first sign of trouble.
    Abramovich's patience was tested once again on Sunday as Chelsea lost 2-1 to Liverpool to remain 12 points behind Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester City.
    It was their third defeat in four league matches and the first time they had lost back-to-back home games since the Russian bought the club eight years ago.
    Villas-Boas, who on Friday shrugged off Guus Hiddink being back on the managerial market, said: "It's not a question of the owner having patience.
    "We have set out to build something new at this club and the club is committed to taking what we're building to the future.
    "The owner didn't pay 15million euros to get me out of Porto to pay me another fortune to get out.
    "Our commitment is towards the club and what we are doing in the future.
    "We have enough talent to compete in all competitions, and that's the perspective we take at the moment."
    Villas-Boas acknowledged today's defeat dealt a devastating blow to Chelsea's title hopes.
    "It's not impossible to turn it around," Villas-Boas said.
    "It's not the brightest of starts for Chelsea in the Premier League in the last 10 years, but the belief is there.
    "It doesn't look good being 12 points behind the leaders, a strong leader, but the December fixtures give us hope if we're able to make the most of it."
    Of far more concern to Chelsea fans at present will be the fact that they will drop out of the top four if Tottenham do not lose to Aston Villa tomorrow.
    Abramovich sacked Luiz Felipe Scolari just under three years ago when he began to fear Champions League qualification would not be achieved.
    Villas-Boas has been charged with getting Chelsea to play more like Barcelona, something that was never going to be achieved overnight.
    But he refused to plead for more time, saying: "There's no running away from responsibilities, there's no calling this a transitional period, we're not calling for time to work.
    "Our responsibility is to win trophies. We're in four still, and we still have the possibility to win them."
    Villas-Boas' plan to play a higher defensive line has repeatedly proven costly this season but he continues to believe in the plan, insisting Chelsea do have the personnel to play it.
    He also hit back at Gary Neville's criticism of David Luiz, who the former Manchester United defender said played like he was being controlled by a 10-year-old PlayStation gamer.
    "It's a stupid approach to an opinion," Villas-Boas said.

Uploads

Nigel de Jong: New deal yet to be agreed
    DE JONG HAPPY AT MAN CITY

Nigel de Jong wants to stay with Manchester City.
    The future of the Blues midfielder has been the subject of debate as his contract is due to expire at the end of next season.
    So far he has failed to agree another, even though City officials are adamant they want the combative 26-year-old to extend his stay at the Etihad Stadium.
    Now De Jong has provided more grounds for optimism by stating his own hopes for the future.
    "There is no concern about my contract," he said.
    "I have spoken my mind, it is up to the club to decide what they want to do now.
    "I have been here for three years and I am happy.
    "I am here to win prizes. We won the FA Cup last season, now we are doing well in the Premier League. For me there is no reason to move on."
    It is welcome news for City, even if the words themselves do not bring a new deal any nearer.
    Indeed, the table-topping Blues are in the box seat in any contract negotiations given how Carlos Tevez has gone from being indispensable to someone manager Roberto Mancini can happily do without in the space of 12 months.
    Tevez will again be absent on Tuesday night when City take on a Napoli outfit who stand between them and a place in the Champions League last 16.
    The Serie A outfit claimed a point at the Etihad Stadium in September as City struggled to adapt to their new surroundings.
    And though Mancini's side have stabilised their position since, he knows no trip to the imposing San Paolo stadium will be easy, even if he can dredge into his own personal memory bank for victories there, including one against a side containing legendary Argentina star Diego Maradona.
    "I played there for 20 years," said Mancini.
    "I scored goals, I lost, I won. But Napoli are a very famous team who won two Scudetto with Maradona.
    "Then they had economic problems and went down to Serie C. But with the new owner they are back now and doing very well.
    "There will be 70,000 people in the stadium and the atmosphere will be fantastic, totally different from any other stadium in Italy.
    "It will be important for us to focus on the game and not concede a lot of space for Naples because they are a fantastic team."

Uploads

Wenger: Hoping for a bright future
    WENGER TO TAKE STOCK AT END OF SEASON

Arsene Wenger intends to reserve judgement on both his and Arsenal's progress until the end of the season.
    The 62-year-old Frenchman presided over the Gunners' fifth straight Barclays Premier League win on Saturday at Norwich, where they came from behind with a brace from in-form captain Robin van Persie.
    Afterwards, Wenger felt it necessary to clarify his position following an interview with French newspaper L'Equipe which seemed to suggest he was contemplating leaving his post.
    With the board and majority shareholder Stan Kroenke completely behind their manager as he has dragged the team through one of the most testing starts of his 15-season tenure, Wenger is not about to get carried away with bold statements.
    He said: "For me, it is a non-story. The club can decide to get rid of me tomorrow morning, but I cannot interfere with that decision.
    "I have two more years to go, will stay and that is it."
    Wenger continued: "There is a fantastic spirit in the side, and it is a great pleasure to work with the players.
    "We have to show we can go very far.
    "However, we have some way to go to show this is the right way.
    "We will see at the end of the season.
    "I am very positive, but over the coming months we have to show how successful we want to be.
    "I feel the team wants it, and that is what is in front of us now."
    Just as the Arsenal manager was not ready to cave in following an appalling start which saw three defeats in five league games, he will not get carried away despite now being within striking distance of the top four once again.
    Wenger said: "Five weeks ago, we were 17th in the league and I had to answer a question 'do you think you play for relegation?'
    "In football, things change quickly, so you are always on the short term.
    "What is important for us is we are back in a stronger position, so let's continue to develop because we need to become stronger to come back to the top."

Uploads

Guus Hiddink: Not planning quick return
    HIDDINK PLANS TO TAKE TIME OFF

Guus Hiddink has revealed he is still in touch with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich - but the Dutchman has no plans to make a swift return to football after leaving his post as Turkey coach.
    Hiddink had his contract terminated by the Turkish Football Federation by mutual consent last week after they failed to qualify for Euro 2012, with reports in England quick to speculate that would lead to a return to Stamford Bridge - Hiddink led the club in a caretaker capacity in 2009 and guided them to FA Cup success.
    That talk intensified following Chelsea's 2-1 defeat to Liverpool on Sunday, which increased the pressure on Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas, but 65-year-old Hiddink's short-term plan is to take some time off.
    Asked if he had received an offer from Chelsea, Hiddink, speaking before yesterday's game, told RT: "No, I was contracted to the Turkish Federation at the time.
    "The relationship (with Abramovich) was and has been and will be very good. When I go to London, I am always welcome at Cobham (Chelsea's training ground) and the stadium.
    "We don't speak every week but every now and then there is contact and I feel very welcome always.
    "I will take some time off and we will see what the future brings.
    "I have made a decision to stop the previous job and then one must take some time to reflect and look where there is a prestigious project, not just football but also through other things where I can help somewhere.
    "I haven't agreed anything with anyone because I was in Turkey, that's why I will take my time to settle down and reflect on what to do.
    "Whether it's nothing because I am 65 and can retire but I feel I have enough energy to go on and what the future brings we will see."
    Hiddink has also been linked with a return to Russia - he coached the national team from 2006 to 2010, combining briefly the role with his work at Chelsea - to link up with big-spending Anzhi Makhachkala.
    "There is deep affection from my side and frequent contact with all kinds of people in Russia which I like very much," he said.
    "I have heard it (Anzhi's project) from the outside but it is a prestigious project. I like the project because there must be a good football team.
    "It's not just football, it's nice for a region (Dagestan) which is still living in poverty."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Interest in Italy
    MANCINI: TEVEZ STILL HAS HIGH PRICE

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has warned Carlos Tevez's potential suitors that the Argentinian forward will not be sold on the cheap.
    Tevez could leave City in the winter transfer market after his latest falling-out with the club.
    Tevez returned to his homeland earlier this month without City's permission and has yet to report back to training, having previously been punished by the club for refusing to warm up during the Champions League game away to Bayern Munich.
    Reports in Italy have strongly linked Tevez with a move to Serie A, with Inter Milan, Juventus and AC Milan reportedly keen to sign the 27-year-old.
    Indeed AC Milan assistant boss Mauro Tassotti went as far as saying: "He is a great player but we need to evaluate his condition and his head because as well as technical ability, you need to be mentally ready to play. There are problems with Manchester City but it could be an idea."
    But Mancini told Italian television station Rai Due: "Tevez is strong regardless of what has happened. And great players have a price that is rather high."
    Mancini denied speculation that City are in talks to acquire Napoli forward Edinson Cavani.
    Cavani is a reported target of the Blues, who face Napoli in the Champions League on Tuesday night.
    When asked about City's reported interest in the Uruguay international, Mancini said: "The good players are all interesting but there's nothing.
    "We can't buy every player."

Uploads

Andy O'Brien: Refused to play against Burnley
    LEEDS TO MAKE O'BRIEN DECISION

Leeds are to decide on the future of central defender Andy O'Brien following his refusal to play in the win at Burnley.
    The club have released a statment saying they will make a decision this week on what happens next for the former Bolton defender.
    The statement adds: "Central defender Andy O'Brien was omitted from Saturday's squad at Burnley after informing manager Simon Grayson he had no wish to be involved in the game.
    "The former Newcastle and Bolton defender spoke with the manager on Friday and informed him he had no wish to play for the club again.
    "The club will decide Andy's long-term future this week."
    Grayson had some harsh words for the Republic of Ireland international after the Burnley game, insisting he will never represent the club again after refusing to play.
    O'Brien has made just three Championship appearances this season and has been targeted by the Leeds boo-boys.
    "It came as a shock on Friday but he won't play for this football club again as long as I am here," said Grayson.
    "It came as a shock, especially after I have backed him publicly and privately over the last few weeks.
    "I have said that Andy had trained well and did enough to get back into the team against Leicester. He said he didn't want to play then but I said I needed him to and I thought he played well."
    Since arriving from Bolton, O'Brien has made 37 appearances for Leeds but it would seem he has pulled on the white shirt for the last time.

Uploads

Kazenga LuaLua: Loan deal made permanent
    BRIGHTON SIGN UP LUALUA

Brighton have signed loan winger Kazenga LuaLua on a permanent deal from Newcastle for an undisclosed fee.
    LuaLua has been with the Seagulls since August, his third loan spell with the club, and said he was delighted to end speculation about his future by signing a three-year contract.
    "Since I came to the club in August, it was always my intention to sign a permanent deal, so this is a really happy day for me," he told the club's official website.
    "When you are on loan you are never quite sure what the future will hold, but now I've signed this contract, I can put my mind at rest and focus completely on my football.
    "I have come here because I feel Brighton is the place where I can really kick on with my career.
    "From the first day I came to the club on loan, everyone was so friendly and that helped me settle very quickly.
    "In fact, the management, the players, the staff and the fans have always been great to me and now I want to pay that back with my performances on the pitch."

Uploads

Carlton Cole: Striker is happy at West Ham
    CARLTON COLE WANTS HAMMERS STAY

Carlton Cole is insistent he wants to stay put at West Ham despite being linked with a move away from the club in January.
    The former Chelsea man scored the equaliser which helped his team defeat Coventry 2-1 last Saturday.
    Marseille, among many other clubs, are supposedly interested in the 28-year-old but he seems to have no problems staying where he is.
    "I know there have been rumours about me leaving but that is all they are," Cole said to The Daily Telegraph
    "People are trying to line themselves up for January and see what is happening with players they might be interested in. That is normal, it happens in every window, but I am happy at West Ham. I am good and want to play more."
    Hammers boss Sam Allardyce is delighted with Cole at the moment after making an impact every time he comes off the bench and now believes he is worthy of making starting XI appearances.
    "Based on his last two performances he warrants that he plays from the start and that will probably be the case," said Allardyce.
    "We have to dig deep within ourselves, physically and mentally, because the games will start coming thick and fast. It is nitty, gritty time now."

Uploads

John Terry: Difficult season
    JONES: JOHN TERRY COULD MOVE ON

Vinnie Jones says Chelsea may need to sell John Terry if Andre Villas-Boas is to stamp his authority on the club.
    Former Blues and Wimbledon midfielder Jones suggested Villas-Boas would not be in complete control of matters at Stamford Bridge with Terry around.
    England captain Terry has failed to get to grips with his new manager's tactics this season, while the 30-year-old is also the subject of a police investigation into claims he racially abused QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, something he denies.
    Terry is arguably the most influential figure in the Chelsea dressing room and Jones said that may not be a good thing as Villas-Boas attempts to completely revamp the club's style of play.
    "Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if JT moves on," he told BBC Radio Five Live.
    "Sometimes, you've got to clear the decks.
    "You think, 'How can you leave someone like JT out?'
    "But sometimes your big, high-profile players go and other players come in and, all of a sudden, the coach is in charge again."
    Jones, who compared the situation at Chelsea to that Sir Alex Ferguson encountered when he took charge of Manchester United 25 years ago, also believes the Terry racism inquiry is unsettling the club.
    "That's all got to be sorted out," he said.
    Chelsea have lost three of their last four Barclays Premier League games to lie 12 points adrift of Manchester City and pile the pressure on Villas-Boas.
    Jones urged notoriously trigger-happy Blues owner Roman Abramovich to stand by his manager but admitted the club's own fans could turn on the Portuguese if his revolution continues to falter.
    "They made a bold statement putting such a young fellow in charge of such a high-profile club and I think that Abramovich has got to stick with it, especially until next season," he said.
    "He has to to show face.
    "I think he's definitely going to give him some time, I really do.
    "If you look at the guy's record, he's going to make decisions that the fans are not going to be happy with.
    "If a coach comes into a new club and makes decisions that fans are not happy with, but gets the results, they go with the coach.
    "It's as simple as that.
    "If results don't go the right way then they start shouting for his blood."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast