Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 24-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 24-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 24-11-11

David Beckham: Transfer talk continues
    LEONARDO: BECKHAM IN TALKS WITH PSG

David Beckham has begun talks to join Paris St Germain, according to the French club's sporting director Leonardo.
    Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy contract runs out at the end of December and PSG - top of Ligue 1 after the arrival of new Qatari owners in the summer - have become the favourites to sign the former England captain.
    The 36-year-old revealed that he has been courted by "two big European clubs" after helping the Galaxy to the MLS title last weekend.
    Former AC Milan manager Leonardo, who coached Beckham during his loan move at the San Siro last year, confirmed PSG were one of those clubs as they look to bring one of football's most high-profile names to the French capital.
    "Yes, we've spoken. These situations take time. We'll see if something suits him and suits us," Leonardo was quoted as saying in The Sun.
    "I know his history and he doesn't need to tell me his past. He went to Milan and it was the same thing. There is a rapport with him.
    "When you talk about Beckham, you're talking about something big. Now his contract is finished, he will decide his future."
    PSG's interest in Beckham has been derided in some parts as a publicity stunt as the club's new owners look to cash in on his worldwide appeal.
    Leonardo, however, claimed Beckham could provide a key part in their push for a first French title since 1994.
    "If Beckham thinks about coming, that's something we should be happy about," Leonardo said.
    "I think he can still bring something on the pitch with the person he is and the experience he has.
    "If a player like him is thinking about Paris St Germain that's good, and we've opened the door for discussions.
    "Everybody's talking about PSG and that pleases me. PSG are on the up, there are 45,000 people in the stadium and everyone's happy."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 24-11-11

Alessandro Del Piero: Expected to move to MLS
    DEL PIERO LEANING TOWARDS USA

Alessandro Del Piero's agent has suggested the Juventus legend will move to the United States after rejecting an approach from the Premier League.
    The 37-year-old's contract at Juve expires at the end of the season and he will not be offered a deal to stay with the Serie A leaders.
    The striker has previously expressed an interest in playing in England and has been linked with moves to Blackburn Rovers and Queens Park Rangers.
    However, Del Piero's representative Enzo Bronzetti believes the former Italy international is most likely to move to Major League Soccer after emerging as a target for several American clubs.
    "I think he can go there," said Bronzetti in the Daily Star. "American football is said to have been on the rise for years, but now it is.
    "In the last few days the leaders of Seattle, Chicago came to Italy and now come those of the Galaxy. Del Piero is highly respected in the United States.
    "For Spain and England, I really do not see it. I know there was already an approach (from the Premier League), but with the Americans..."
    Meanwhile, Sion president Christian Constantin has confirmed he is not giving up hope of persuading Del Piero to shun a move to the MLS in favour of heading to Switzerland.
    "I have not yet talked to him, partly because I read he'd like to go to America," Constantin told TMW.
    "Of course I still believe in this move. We will play two games and then I'll make contact.
    "I can tell you now that I will call Del Piero in a couple of weeks. I'll talk it over with him and see what he thinks about my proposal."

Uploads

Villas-Boas: Pressure mounting after another loss
    AVB: MY JOB TO TURN THINGS AROUND

Andre Villas-Boas says it is up to him to turn Chelsea's season around after watching his side crash to another last-gasp defeat that left them in real danger of failing to qualify for the Champions League knockout phase.
    Winger Florent Malouda claimed on Tuesday night Villas-Boas was not to blame for the Blues' worst start to a campaign since Roman Abramovich bought the club, but the new manager insisted it is his responsibility to arrest their slide.
    Failure to do so quickly will test billionaire owner Abramovich's patience, with Chelsea having always finished in the Premier League top four and reached the last 16 of the Champions League during the Russian's tenure.
    Almost anything that can go wrong is going wrong for the Blues at present, with Wednesday night's Group E defeat to Bayer Leverkusen the latest calamity.
    Chelsea were heading for victory until the 73rd minute but conceded a stoppage-time goal to lose 2-1 at the BayArena.
    That followed another late defeat to Liverpool, their third loss in four Premier League games.
    Villas-Boas acknowledged confidence was low, adding: "But that's when they expect the manager to inspire them.
    "That's my job. That's my task, to inspire these people and motivate these people to change our faith.
    "The responsibility is mine and it's my task now to inspire and motivate them to take them to a win against Wolves and certainly after to a win against Liverpool in the Carling Cup.
    "We have two games at home. We need to get the focus, concentration right, I have to inspire my players and motivate them, and we need our fans behind us in these critical moments."
    The result saw Chelsea drop to second in Group E and with Valencia completely overhauling their superior goal difference by beating Genk 7-0, it means Villas-Boas' side must either beat the Spaniards or keep a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge in two weeks' time to go through.
    "We will need Stamford Bridge completely behind us to get the intensity right and the emotions right for the game," Villas-Boas said.
    "It's in our hands to qualify. It's a game at Stamford Bridge and we expect to do our job. That's our responsibility and we don't want to let the fans down."
    You would not bank on Chelsea on current form, with their defence letting them down yet again tonight.
    Villas-Boas insisted they had defended well but for two corner kicks, one which saw Michael Ballack hit the bar and the other which led to the winner.
    "We left our back exposed," he said.
    "So we need to focus and concentrate on these issues.
    "We're all committed to this squad and to these players and we believe a lot in their talent and they believe in us, and we need to find a way out.
    "When they go into a series of defeats like we going through now, we get into the details a lot, to try to get them right and we just have to continue to work and believe that the win is close."
    Leverkusen's comeback ironically began minutes after the much-maligned David Luiz was withdrawn for Alex, with the home side soon responding by throwing on Eren Derdiyok, who scored moments later.
    Villas-Boas said: "David was feeling very, very dizzy at half-time and sick.
    "He decided to continue, to make the effort for the team, but could no longer continue."

Uploads

Wright: Has 'looked sharp' says Jewell
    IPSWICH RE-SIGN RICHARD WRIGHT

Ipswich have signed goalkeeper Richard Wright for a third time on a short-term deal and terminated the contract of midfielder Colin Healy.
    Wright has made more than 300 appearances in a Town shirt in three spells and was capped twice by England at senior level before also representing Everton, West Ham, Southampton and Sheffield United.
    "Richard has been training with us this season and has done well," Town boss Paul Jewell told the club website."He has looked really sharp over the last few weeks.
    "I know there were two or three clubs interested in taking him on this week so we've been speaking to him over the last day or so and I'm delighted that we've been able to agree a deal.
    Jewell though chose to release Healy even though the former Republic of Ireland international signed a one-year deal last summer.
    "Colin is a terrific pro but he's not had the first-team football he was looking for this season," added Jewell.
    "Agreeing to bring his contract to an end early gives him the opportunity to find himself a new club for the rest of the season."

Uploads

Boudewijn Zenden: Watched by McKay at a Celtic trial
    FORTUNE, ZENDEN IN FRAME AT ROVERS

Agent Willie McKay has confirmed Doncaster are in negotiations to sign Marc Antoine Fortune and Boudewijn Zenden.
    The duo could become the latest high-profile names to join Dean Saunders' squad, following Pascal Chimbonda, El-Hadji Diouf and Habib Beye to the Keepmoat Stadium as part of an ambitious transfer policy fronted by McKay.
    A deal for West Brom striker Fortune is close to completion with Thursday's emergency loan deadline on the horizon.
    According to McKay, Baggies boss Roy Hodgson will give the deal the all-clear if Shane Long suffers no reaction to his recent knee injury picked up in training.
    McKay told Press Association Sport: "We're waiting for a player to come through training on Thursday, Shane Long, and if he's okay West Brom will allow Marco to come and join us. It would be until January 4."
    Former Holland midfielder Zenden is also on Rovers' radar. He has been without a club since his release by Sunderland at the end of last season and recently failed to win a contract at Celtic, but his time in Glasgow brought him to the attention of Hoops fan McKay.
    "We've spoken to Bolo," he added. "He played for Celtic in a friendly against St Johnstone. I'm a Celtic fan myself and I was told he was outstanding. But he couldn't agree anything there and we've been in contact with him."

Uploads

Colin Calderwood: Sacked from Hibs this month
    CALDERWOOD IN BIRMINGHAM TALKS

Birmingham are in talks with Colin Calderwood over becoming assistant manager at St Andrew's.
    Calderwood was present to watch City's last-gasp 2-1 npower Championship victory over Burnley on Tuesday night amid negotiations which would see him join the club's backroom staff and be reunited with manager Chris Hughton.
    It comes after a summer in which Birmingham were thwarted in their efforts to prize Calderwood away from Hibernian, seeing a compensation offer in the region of 300,000 rebuffed by the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club.
    However, his sacking at Easter Road on November 6 following just over a year in charge has paved the way to link back up with Hughton, although it is believed a severance package still needs to be agreed with Hibs.
    The pair first worked together at Tottenham during Calderwood's playing days, before the former Scotland international was handed a coaching role at Newcastle in January 2009 alongside then Magpies assistant boss Hughton.
    After twice taking the caretaker role at St James' Park Hughton was finally appointed permanent manager in October 2009, with Calderwood his assistant in the dugout as they guided Newcastle to the Championship title.
    However, the duo parted ways after Calderwood accepted the top job at Hibernian in October 2010, with Hughton then relieved of his duties by Newcastle just two months later.
    Hughton took the reins at Birmingham over the summer and subsequently appointed Paul Trollope as first-team coach.
    And despite being happy with his current coaching set-up he has always stressed he would be prepared to add an assistant to his ranks to further enhance his management team.
    Blues are currently eighth in the Championship and well placed to progress into the knockout stages of the Europa League with two group matches remaining.

Uploads

Danny Lennon: Had been linked with Hibernian
    DANNY LENNON EXTENDS CONTRACT

Danny Lennon hopes to drive St Mirren from survival scrappers to top six contenders in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League after on Wednesday agreeing a two-year contract extension.
    The 41-year-old joined the Buddies from Cowdenbeath in June 2010, led them to an 11th-placed finish in the SPL last term and is now committed to the club until June 2014.
    The Buddies have received plaudits for their positive style of play under Lennon, who has high ambitions for his side, currently fifth in the table.
    He said: "I certainly believe there are signs of our ambition and the vision to take the club in the right direction.
    "We're already seeing fruits of our work and where we're sitting is in the direction we want to be.
    "While SPL survival is fantastic on its own and a wonderful achievement, for this club to progress it can't be a soul ambition.
    "We've got to have aims, we've got to have ambition - which we have in place.
    "We're sitting fifth and although that might be a pressure I'm putting on myself, it doesn't have to be a pressure.
    "We want to make every fan out there excited and proud of their football club. That's at the forefront of our minds at all times.
    "Football, for me, is meant to be entertaining and we want to honour that and all that's good about the beautiful game, through everything that we do - through our coaching philosophy right through from the youth team to the first team."
    The former midfielder was linked with a return to Hibernian - seeking a new manager following the departure of Colin Calderwood - but dismissed the reports as speculation.
    Lennon, who paid tribute to his players and support staff, including first team coach Tommy Craig, added: "I heard the speculation and although that was very flattering I was never far away from finishing the job that I came here to do and I'm ever so grateful that I have that opportunity to complete that."
    While Lennon is attracting admiring glances, he welcomes interest in his players too - believing it shows his footballing philosophy is working.
    He said: "With the January window about to open again, there are players attracting interest or so-called interest from other clubs. I welcome that.
    "I welcome all clubs to come and see what we're doing here, what quality players we have here and I take that as a pat on the back that we're doing good things at this football club."
    But Lennon is determined to keep his group of players together and has offered Ilias Haddad a contract extension to stay until the end of the season, something the defender is currently mulling over.
    He is also set to begin discussions with those out of contract at the end of the current campaign.
    Lennon added: "I'm excited to be a manager of a group of players that are such dedicated professionals who are working so hard to make their collective vision and their ambitions a reality."
    He is happy with his squad, which includes goalkeeper Craig Samson, who was part of the Scotland squad for the trip to Cyprus earlier this month, but could add to it in January.
    "I have a small bit left in the budget," he said.
    "(But) I'm very pleased in the tools I have at my disposal at the minute."

Uploads

Mark Gower: New deal done
    MARK GOWER AGREES NEW SWANS DEAL

Swansea midfielder Mark Gower has signed a one-year contract extension that will keep him at the Liberty Stadium until the summer of 2013.
    The 33-year-old joined the Swans as a winger from Southend in 2008, but has been converted into a central midfielder and has impressed at Premier League level after taking his opportunity when Kemy Agustien suffered a hamstring injury.
    The former Spurs man is delighted to have his future sorted with Brendan Rodgers' team.
    Gower told the Swansea club website: "It took a while to get everything agreed, but I am delighted to finally sign the extension.
    "It means I can concentrate fully on my football and help to establish Swansea as a Premier League club.
    "I'm feeling fit and enjoying my football more than ever. The way the manager wants us to play the game means it's a pleasure to be part of this midfield and this club."
    Manager Rodgers added: "Mark thoroughly deserves this. He is a great professional who is getting the chance in the Premier League when he probably should have been playing at this level many years ago.
    "He has made a valuable contribution to our success and I'm delighted for him and his family that he has the new deal."

Uploads

Fenlon: Set for Hibs job
    FENLON SET TO FILL HIBS VACANCY

Hibernian are expected to unveil Pat Fenlon as their new manager on Friday.
    On Wednesday, the 42-year-old was given permission by Dublin-based Bohemians to talk to Hibs about the manager's job and is set to succeed Colin Calderwood as boss.
    Bohemians are understood to have waived any compensation payment due to their current financial predicament, and Fenlon is set to be appointed in time for this weekend's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash at St Johnstone.
    Billy Brown was in caretaker charge of Hibs' 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock last Saturday and could be retained in the dugout for the trip to Perth, giving Fenlon an opportunity to assess his players from the stand at McDiarmid Park.
    Hibs are not commenting about the vacancy until it is filled, but Friday's pre-match media conference is likely to see Fenlon introduced.
    Fenlon spent his entire playing career in Ireland and has managed Shelbourne, Derry City and Bohemians, whom he joined in December 2007.
    He has won the League of Ireland twice and the Football Association of Ireland Cup twice.
    He was linked with Dundee United before the appointment of Peter Houston as boss, but the move broke down over compensation Bohemians requested.
    However, that is no longer an obstruction.
    Meanwhile, Calderwood, who was sacked as Hibs boss on November 6 following 12 wins in 49 matches and 12 months in charge, has found a new job less than three weeks following his departure from Easter Road.
    The former Scotland defender has been confirmed as assistant manager of Birmingham and has been reunited with his former boss at Newcastle, Chris Hughton.

Uploads

Fortune: Joins Doncaster
    FORTUNE SIGNS FOR DONCASTER

West Brom striker Marc-Antoine Fortune has joined npower Championship side Doncaster on loan.
    The 30-year-old has linked up with Rovers until January 2, although Albion will be able to instantly recall him once 28 days have lapsed.
    Fortune has slipped down the pecking order at the Hawthorns since the arrival of Peter Odemwingie during the summer of 2010 and Shane Long four months ago.
    With Republic of Ireland striker Simon Cox also impressing, Fortune has been given the chance to revive his career in England with Doncaster.